Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/mircrotransaction-and-dlc-have-tripled-the-value-of-the-game-industry/

loving the typo "mircrotransaction" in both the url and the article title btw

That's it. We're doomed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm just replaying though Shadow of Mordor to try and stave off the urge to give money to a bad publisher. Mario Odyssey comes out on the 27th and that's when I can finally lock myself in the house and play video games until Spring.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm going to be a Switch owner tomorrow! Also, 32.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have definitively completely given up on finishing Breath of the Wild to play Shadow of War instead. So...

why are you only just now doing this

i'm legitimately curious cause i have no idea why you kept playing it to begin with

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Colonel posted:

why are you only just now doing this

i'm legitimately curious cause i have no idea why you kept playing it to begin with

To be perfectly honest, it's because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and haven't really played a Zelda game since Link to the Past. So I was hoping for some nostalgia to overwhelm me and/or to experience a "Core" Nintendo game for the first time in a long time. There was also perhaps some hope that something would click eventually, especially because the game's defenders like to characterize those who didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild along the lines of "lacking imagination" or "unable to enjoy the little things" or "need games to hold their hand" and I don't want to think I'm like that but I guess I am.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
those reasons are weird to have for a game you played for what seemed like weeks and still didn't enjoy and i think you should not let an insane part of a fanbase dictate that you're a fail gamer for not being able to enjoy a video game

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What are some choice or favorite games to emulate on Android?
There are great emulators, but not every classic translates well to touchscreen in a vehicle.
Simple controls are nice when important buttons can be mapped to large parts of the screen like Patapon or Loco Roco. Slow methodical games like Fire Emblems and Personas are okay. Anything where precision isn't critical like Every Extend Extra is also fine.
Some bad examples would be stuff where a momentary lack of precision fucks up everything, like Mr. Driller or Sigma Star Saga. RPGs control well enough but the format isn't ideal for super long games either.

Considering giving Final Fantasy Tactics another go. I always get stuck on this one 1 on 1 battle though, so advice on how to avoid that and which version to go for would also be appreciated.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

who's that girl with the brand new birthday switch........ it's oddium :peanut:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To be perfectly honest, it's because I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and haven't really played a Zelda game since Link to the Past. So I was hoping for some nostalgia to overwhelm me and/or to experience a "Core" Nintendo game for the first time in a long time. There was also perhaps some hope that something would click eventually, especially because the game's defenders like to characterize those who didn't enjoy Breath of the Wild along the lines of "lacking imagination" or "unable to enjoy the little things" or "need games to hold their hand" and I don't want to think I'm like that but I guess I am.

I think what you're missing isn't imagination or whatever, but the years of a stale Zelda formula souring other people's enjoyment of each new entry. I mean if you just haven't played the 3D games you're missing some of the subversion of Zelda that's happening and might be missing where a lot of praise is coming from.

That said don't waste hours on stuff you hate because other people like it, that's dumb.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

oddium posted:

hell yea enjoy the games

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Wizard posted:

Conswitchulations and happy birthday day.

oddium posted:

You too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

an actual dog I do not like your halloween avatar :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Switches for everybody!!!!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Heran Bago posted:

Considering giving Final Fantasy Tactics another go. I always get stuck on this one 1 on 1 battle though, so advice on how to avoid that and which version to go for would also be appreciated.

Basically just make sure Ramza is strong by that point. You can either grind a bit or use a good class like ninja. Alternatively you can run away and yell at yourself until you start lapping him in turns. If you're into emulation I would recommend the ps1 version with the wotl translation mod. I also heard the ios/android version is good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

Cool whats ur friendcode?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Enjoy the switch. I can highly recommend Steamworld Dig 2 on it, I played it at a friends today and I'll be picking it up for myself for sure.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pokken is sweet

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Don't let gamer culture win! You're not a flawed individual for not liking something (unless it's Kirby Super Star)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not liking it no, playing a game they don't like for two (three?) months, eh....

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If you haven't played a Zelda game since Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds would probably be a better game to re-cut your teeth on, in my opinion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Basically just make sure Ramza is strong by that point. You can either grind a bit or use a good class like ninja. Alternatively you can run away and yell at yourself until you start lapping him in turns. If you're into emulation I would recommend the ps1 version with the wotl translation mod. I also heard the ios/android version is good.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll buy it to at least try a new version.

Also wow triple triad is on here!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

That begs an interesting question, what's the biggest or longest chance you've given a game before dropping it?

I got through Yakuza 1 and the final boss of Yakuza 2 before deciding I didn't actually like playing the games and just watched cutscenes from the other entries

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phantasium posted:

I've gotten 20+ hours into TW3 on two separate occassions before I lost momentum and gave up. It's a fine game but the pacing is just too long and ponderous for me to maintain focus.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Phantasium posted:

Do MMOs count because years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My birthday is on the 22nd.

I do not have and do not want a Switch. :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Do MMOs count because years.

Maybe not just for your own sanity.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

I played FF 14 solidly for two weeks before remembering I hate MMOs and never touched it again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

Not liking it no, playing a game they don't like for two (three?) months, eh....

yes but you're sakurazuka

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like all the bad games I play for that long

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wait sorry i misread that as you saying there's nothing wrong with a guy playing a game he hates for three months straight lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

I got through Yakuza 1 and the final boss of Yakuza 2 before deciding I didn't actually like playing the games and just watched cutscenes from the other entries

I was under the impression that the Yakuza games started out kinda meh but then got really good. I loved played Yakuza 0

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

an actual dog I do not like your halloween avatar :stare:

there's an even spooker one I'm gonna try later

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

an actual dog posted:

there's an even spooker one I'm gonna try later

:catstare:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

an actual dog posted:

I was under the impression that the Yakuza games started out kinda meh but then got really good. I loved played Yakuza 0

the ps2 yakuza games are fine but the combat starts out really bad

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the ps2 yakuza games are fine but the combat starts out really bad

I haven't played any past Yakuza 1, do they actually let you attack cancel because holy poo poo I wanted to break controllers.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should have to fight Kiryu IRL if you try to judge the Yakuza series based on the PS2 games

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Phantasium posted:

I've uninstalled and reinstalled fallout 4 three times in the three months since I bought it. It's a terrible rpg and a terrible fallout game and I hate loot shooters, but it looks really really nice.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

al-azad posted:

I haven't played any past Yakuza 1, do they actually let you attack cancel because holy poo poo I wanted to break controllers.

They let you dodge cancel out of attacks but it uses some meter. Yakuza has always had pretty lovely combat, I dunno if 6's overhaul improved it any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've tried the Witcher 3 multiple times since it came out and just can't enjoy the game. I find the pacing to be awful, and getting around the game world and fighting monsters infuriating. I don't understand the love for this title.

• Locked thread