Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Invalid Validation posted:

One of the worst things is he can't even pretend to give a poo poo about the country. Obama wasn't perfect but that man gave a poo poo and you could tell.

Bush was fantastic at pretending to care about the country. Hell some of it was probably genuine.

That's one huge difference between him and Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This is bad strategy. They need to hold off until after Mueller's report comes out and momentum is at its peak. These show pieces are satisfying but strategically poor choices.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lol it's Kelly's turn to fall on the sword in front of the media

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

This is bad strategy. They need to hold off until after Mueller's report comes out and momentum is at its peak. These show pieces are satisfying but strategically poor choices.

What's the harm exactly? In this media environment I struggle to see how this can hurt Democrats.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Putin posted:

I disagree. You get a vote out now, get Republicans on the record voting beforehand, then when Mueller's report comes out you can paint Republicans however you want because they're already on record voting against impeachment.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Invalid Validation posted:

One of the worst things is he can't even pretend to give a poo poo about the country. Obama wasn't perfect but that man gave a poo poo and you could tell.

This is the thing. Obama did a lot of lovely things, but you at least got the feeling that he thought hard about most of them beforehand, because he was an intellectual man.

Trump is execrable by reflex.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

What's the harm exactly? In this media environment I struggle to see how this can hurt Democrats.

Impeachment proceedings are not something you want to go through twice. Doing it now will probably fail. The Mueller report will be necessary to give the Republicans the cover they need to remove him.

It's not that it would hurt Democrats specifically, it would be bad for the country generally. Do it once and get it over with.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Impeachment proceedings are not something you want to go through twice. Doing it now will probably fail. The Mueller report will be necessary to give the Republicans the cover they need to remove him.

It's not that it would hurt Democrats specifically, it would be bad for the country generally. Do it once and get it over with.

Yeah but this vote isn't going to result in proceedings and everyone knows it. Green just wants GOP reps on record against it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Kelly right now: A much more polished stooge than Huckabanders but still a stooge.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also President Hillary Clinton would have at least three impeachment votes in the House against her by this point.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gort posted:

This is the thing. Obama did a lot of lovely things, but you at least got the feeling that he thought hard about most of them beforehand, because he was an intellectual man.

Trump is execrable by reflex.

Obama had reasoned positions. Take Syria. He put down the red line as a bluff, and then decided the consequences of enforcing it were too great and let Assad call it. You can disagree with that course of action, and you can disagree with his interpretation of the scenario, but it was a reasoned position.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This guy is an idiot but hey Kyle Griffin gets to make another tweet about some meaningless gesture house dems are making as if it's news.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Unlike Trump, Bush did have some good qualities.

I'm not yet sure what they are, but I expect one or two can be found. There's the dog, I guess.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm not yet sure what they are, but I expect one or two can be found. There's the dog, I guess.

No, Bush deserves the guillotine

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Obama had reasoned positions. Take Syria. He put down the red line as a bluff, and then decided the consequences of enforcing it were too great and let Assad call it. You can disagree with that course of action, and you can disagree with his interpretation of the scenario, but it was a reasoned position.

He shouldn't have put down a red line if he didn't intend to enforce it, but not invading Syria when everyone wanted to after the "red line" comment was probably the ballsiest and best foreign policy decision he made.

It's kind of insane that bombing another country and putting troops on the ground will always make your approval rating go up and Obama got poo poo for years because he refused to bomb or invade Syria and Iran.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

WeAreTheRomans posted:

No, Bush deserves the guillotine

These are not mutually exclusive positions

Hitler liked dogs, apparently

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Party Plane Jones posted:

I disagree. You get a vote out now, get Republicans on the record voting beforehand, then when Mueller's report comes out you can paint Republicans however you want because they're already on record voting against impeachment.

Does it matter what the record is for republicans BEFORE the report comes out? I mean depending on what the report says it's reasonable they would change their mind.

Also these fake impeachment things just politicize it. It's not going anywhere and it makes it seem like another political game. You have to wait until a legit vote comes out so that people think it's a really big deal and a game changer. You vote on this like once a week and people are more likely to tune you out when the real thing comes. Trump will already be pushing that angle when the report comes out that it's a political witch hunt.

The best strategy is to sit tight and wait until you have momentum. Same thing with Mueller. Wait, do it slowly, do it correctly--you only have one shot to take down Trump. If you miss you don't get a do over.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I keep reading Rep Al Green as Rev Al Green and now "Lets Stay Together" is stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bottom Liner posted:

Goddamn would it be some poetic justice if money is the thing to take Trump down. It's the only route that really has a chance of putting him in a loving cell.

It got Capone

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

He probably wasn't as stupid as he came off. He didn't use the presidency as a means to actively enrich himself via graft.

I guess those aren't as much "good qualities" as "aspects I didn't realize until now were worth commenting on."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

President wise one of the worst in our generation because of the foreign policy disaster in Iraq.

One thing he did Ok on was creating Medicare part D. Before then Medicare recipients had no prescription drug coverage. So that was good.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Bush was awful and is responsible for a million Iraqi deaths and the destabilization of an entire region of the earth that will be felt for generations, but he was stableminded. He talked funny and couldn't express complex ideas, but he had a working brain. He didn't delve in conspiracies or start petty slap-fights to satisfy his ego and eventually got sick of Cheney's bullshit. That's what you can say about W. At least his mind wasn't being consumed by untreated Syphilis.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Bush at least was probably somebody who was a loving riot to hang out with on a personal level, especially back in his boozing and coke days. Trump is probably as loving intolerable in a personal setting as he appears to be

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RiggenBlaque posted:

Bush at least was probably somebody who was a loving riot to hang out with on a personal level, especially back in his boozing and coke days. Trump is probably as loving intolerable in a personal setting as he appears to be

Does that even matter though. I voted for Gore and I would not want to hang around with him. I just don't care about that aspect of a president.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dubya was great in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. Also his guilt-ridden paintings of constant bathing and wounded vets show a measure of contrition.

d'oh i'm an idiot that wasn't actually dubya in H&K

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 12, 2017

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

theflyingorc posted:

These are not mutually exclusive positions

Hitler liked dogs, apparently

Hitler liked dogs so much that he felt sad after he had his killed!

Blondi's wikipedia page posted:

During the course of 29 April 1945, Hitler learned of the death of his ally Benito Mussolini at the hands of Italian partisans. This, along with the fact the Soviet Red Army was closing in on his location, strengthened Hitler in his resolve not to allow himself or his wife to be captured. That afternoon, Hitler expressed doubts about the cyanide capsules he had received through Heinrich Himmler's SS.[24] By this point, Hitler regarded Himmler as a traitor, and he had doubts about the content of the capsules. To verify the capsules' contents, Hitler—who already intended to have Blondi killed so that she did not fall into the hands of the Russians[25]—ordered Dr. Werner Haase to test one on Blondi, and the dog died as a result.[26] Hitler became completely inconsolable.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Vladimir Putin posted:

President wise one of the worst in our generation because of the foreign policy disaster in Iraq.

One thing he did Ok on was creating Medicare part D. Before then Medicare recipients had no prescription drug coverage. So that was good.

He actually gave a poo poo about and tried to at least mitigate the damage, if not help the AIDS crisis in Africa.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

Does it matter what the record is for republicans BEFORE the report comes out? I mean depending on what the report says it's reasonable they would change their mind.

Also these fake impeachment things just politicize it. It's not going anywhere and it makes it seem like another political game. You have to wait until a legit vote comes out so that people think it's a really big deal and a game changer. You vote on this like once a week and people are more likely to tune you out when the real thing comes. Trump will already be pushing that angle when the report comes out that it's a political witch hunt.

The best strategy is to sit tight and wait until you have momentum. Same thing with Mueller. Wait, do it slowly, do it correctly--you only have one shot to take down Trump. If you miss you don't get a do over.

I think the horse has already left the barn on the politicization of Trump's criminal acts.

This current attempt won't stop any later attempts at all.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I believe that Bush Jr. probably made decisions based on what he thought were for the good of the county, right or wrong. That's a.. good thing.. I guess.

Trump bases every single decision on how it will benefit him, his ego, or his press.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Dubya was great in Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.

:thunk:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Vladimir Putin posted:

DECORUM!! PROCESS!! SERIOUSNESS!!! AHGFLSJHIUEGHLDBNGOUEHGSHDPWQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Medicare Part D was a massive giveaway to the Pharmaceutical industry and he only released that plan to counter Al Gore's much better prescription drug plan.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

When Trump leaves office, I'm gonna do one of those movie things where I run into a bar and scream NEXT ROUND'S ON ME, EVERYBODY! I will celebrate his death every year until I follow him into the abyss.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

When Trump leaves office, I'm gonna do one of those movie things where I run into a bar and scream NEXT ROUND'S ON ME, EVERYBODY! I will celebrate his death every year until I follow him into the abyss.

Jokes on you. He's gonna take all of us with him when he goes down.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Vladimir Putin posted:

Does that even matter though. I voted for Gore and I would not want to hang around with him. I just don't care about that aspect of a president.

I think being personable and having some level of emotional intelligence is important for a president, but I'm really just pointing it out as at least one good trait Bush had in stark contrast to Trump's 0.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Medicare Part D was a massive giveaway to the Pharmaceutical industry and he only released that plan to counter Al Gore's much better prescription drug plan.

All true but how else would you give drug coverage to the elderly? Invent a non-pharma based solution that didn't exist and still doesn't exist to this day about a decade post ACA?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BootStrap posted:

Jokes on you. He's gonna take all of us with him when he goes down.

Then he doesn't have to pay the tab.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RiggenBlaque posted:

I think being personable and having some level of emotional intelligence is important for a president, but I'm really just pointing it out as at least one good trait Bush had in stark contrast to Trump's 0.

Yeah I struggled to think of a positive thing about him. At one point there was the idea he at least loved his family but then it came out he stopped helping out his nephew's medical care when his brother pissed him off. He has pretty much no redeeming qualities at all.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Comparing other presidents to Trump is hard because he's so incompetent that it blunts his ability to succeed at evil to a certain degree.

As a human being he's absolutely the loving worst, worse than anybody you can name by miles. The combination of undiluted, unrepentant evil and just dumb as gently caress has no precedent.

As president, nothing he's done so far is as bad as what LBJ or Nixon did in Vietnam, or what W did in Iraq, or what Reagan did all over the domestic landscape. But that's because he's so loving dumb he can't even get his own party to go along with half of his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eyebeem posted:

I believe that Bush Jr. probably made decisions based on what he thought were for the good of the county, right or wrong. That's a.. good thing.. I guess.

Trump bases every single decision on how it will benefit him, his ego, or his press.

I think most of his decision making is based off "what did Obama do? gently caress that guy I'm doing the opposite" and I'm not really even joking that much

• Locked thread