Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are you playing a deck that ramps at all? I know some titanshift decks will play witchbane orb in the sideboard to help against storm and burn since they can usually play it t3.

Oh yeah that's a good point, I forgot about that. I wish it could help again turn 1/turn 2 discard though.

I actually lost to a Storm player a few weeks ago while on Valakut when he used Manamorphose to hardcast Leyline and I couldn't kill him in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

RW prison is pretty popular and putting up good results these days, if a deck is weak to that, blood moon in particular, or bogles, I could see running 1 in the side. I wouldn't, personally, but I could see it happening.

Back to nature is not a good sideboard card against r/w prison , please play other cards if r/w prison is a deck you are having bad matchups with. You should be focusing on cards that hit chalice and bloodmoon since they are used in more decks.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

plow under/back to nature just riggety wrecked me

Is this guy handy for bogles or too easy to lightening bolt?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Been doing a lot of draftsim.com to try and get better at card evaluation and since limited seems like a nice environment to spend most of my time getting back in. 15 bucks a week is a night at the movies and snacks, and I can keep building up cards for Standard.

I kind of wish there were an option to turn on raredrafting/greeddrafting in bots, because there's no way I'm getting passed a 15-20 dollar mythic rare planeswalker in a store event where the stakes on the line are a extra booster pack or two.

If you are not already listening to Limited Resources today's episode is a good look at the pick order for the top 3 archetypes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Back to nature is not a good sideboard card against r/w prison , please play other cards if r/w prison is a deck you are having bad matchups with. You should be focusing on cards that hit chalice and bloodmoon since they are used in more decks.

Just to play devil's advocate, back to nature is arguably a good card against RW prison because it hits moon/o-ring/castout while not being countered by a chalice on 1 like nature's claim. I could see a budget deck or a mono-green stompy deck trying it, but if you're ramp at all you'd rather just play fracturing gust (still bad).

Modern is weird and people will take weird sideboard cards to other events sometimes just because they happen to be very good at a local metagame, I'm rarely surprised by what I see at a modern tournament anymore.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Too easy to bolt/path/push if you're talking about maindeck. If you're worried about LotV, it's a matter of playing dryad arbors and learning to always leave a fetch on the table in case they play one and try to make you sac your only dude.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 12, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I don't play boogles but my impression from playing against it is that part of the value of the deck is targeted removal is useless against it, and all you're doing is giving them an outlet for that previous dead card so it will get hit immediately

maybe if you sideboarded it in after they sideboarded out all their targeted removal

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Leylines does the job more effectively.

Don't feel bad losing to plow under or back to nature, you aren't going to see those cards in paper ever.

evilweasel posted:

I don't play boogles but my impression from playing against it is that part of the value of the deck is targeted removal is useless against it, and all you're doing is giving them an outlet for that previous dead card so it will get hit immediately

maybe if you sideboarded it in after they sideboarded out all their targeted removal

Smart players will do that but they also have to worry about Kor Spiritdancer which can end a game in a single turn. It also makes cards like Gaddock Teeg and cannonist stronger out of the board as they have gotten rid of most of their removal. I just don't think the other creature makes the cut.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 12, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Plow Under, now that's a deep fuckin cut.

I don't think the card you posted is especially good. If your goal is to protect your guys from being sacrificed to Liliana of the Veil then the aforementioned Leyline of Sanctity is a better option. Remember, Lili's sacrifice ability reads "TARGET player sacrifices a creature" so Leyline means they can't target you with that ability.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I don't think the card you posted is especially good. If your goal is to protect your guys from being sacrificed to Liliana of the Veil then the aforementioned Leyline of Sanctity is a better option. Remember, Lili's sacrifice ability reads "TARGET player sacrifices a creature" so Leyline means they can't target you with that ability.

Generally the only removal you are worried about comes from cascade. Even the totem armors nullify wraths and its shocking how many people don't know what totem armor does.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I put in a dryad arbor in the main deck, thanks all :)

I'm kind of glad that guy isn't so great because my sideboard was full, now I can put in some graveyard hate.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

If you are not already listening to Limited Resources today's episode is a good look at the pick order for the top 3 archetypes.

I have picked up the last few eps and will give this one a listen on my commute. It's a good 'cast-- pretty approachable without a ton of jargon; straightforward and their analysis seems pretty sober and relevant.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I include a copy of Back to Nature in the side of the Little Kid GW deck I like to bring to more casual modern events because there are two serial bogles players at my lgs, come at me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

I include a copy of Back to Nature in the side of the Little Kid GW deck I like to bring to more casual modern events because there are two serial bogles players at my lgs, come at me

The only time I have seen a back to nature cast was during a grand prix trial after they made the change to regular rel. Someone was playing in the top 8 with the funky enchantment deck against jund. The jund player mysteriously had 3 back to natures in his sideboard. This is why decklists are always a good idea.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

goferchan posted:

So I don't play much Magic anymore but I'm familiar with the rules. I'm completely unfamiliar with oldschool formats like legacy though .... just stumbled upon this guide to playing Belcher and this poo poo rules. It's really fun to see how the deck comes together. Any other weird/interesting/broken Legacy or Vintage decks that I should check out if I enjoyed that?

Look up the old Hermit Druid combo decks. When the Legacy format was created he was banned. A similar effect fuels the landless Oops, all spells! / Breakfast Burrito idea which relies on throwing your entire library into the graveyard then using Dread Return or Unburial Rites to get back something game-winning, as early as turn 1. Not good enough to be competitive due to inconsistency but absolutely hilarious.

Manaless Dredge has already been mentioned and is the consistent version of the above.

If you're okay with digging into Modern, I suppose you could look at decks like Lantern Control, which is another deck that turns the entire game on its head.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR5r6U57Rog

Its not confirmed yet because the video is new but a chinese company is claiming to be producing hologram fakes. Normally I would be taking a video of this to be a bait a switch (real cards in the video) while sending you bad fake cards. There is only one problem. The expeditions are not foil in this video so are definitely not real. If by the low chance these are not bait and switch, WOTC is going to be kicking themselves for letting the print runs being so lovely. The hologram has up until this point meant you were getting the real deal despite colors ranges being so different.

I guess we wait and see.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 12, 2017

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Love the insert chosen for LSV in this Channel Fireball team introduction video they put out today:
https://youtu.be/QvQPXyjDJFE

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sickening posted:

Its not confirmed yet because the video is new but a chinese company is claiming to be producing hologram fakes. Normally I would be taking a video of this to be a bait a switch (real cards in the video) while sending you bad fake cards. There is only one problem. The expeditions are not foil in this video so are definitely not real. If by the low chance these are not bait and switch, WOTC is going to be kicking themselves for letting the print runs being so lovely. The hologram has up until this point meant you were getting the real deal despite colors ranges being so different.

I guess we wait and see.

Wow, that's just awful, it seems like there is no step WotC can take to ensure only authentic Magic: The Gathering product can be confidently resold on the secondary market that won't ultimately be thwarted by counterfeiters.

Do you have a link to this seller?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Sickening posted:

I guess we wait and see.

I can't tell from the video but Alpha Investments had a video showing a bunch of fakes and the holo stamps had circles on them instead of the Planeswalker symbol.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

C-Euro posted:

Plow Under is such an amazing-looking card. It's double land destruction that also ensures the opponent won't draw anything for the next two turns. It must be worse than it seems, though, or else more decks would run it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Decks don't run it because it's a 5 mana spell in a format where 4+ mana spells must provide huge board presence or directly contribute to winning the game almost immediately.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 12, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

I play suppression field in the main in Bogles instead of leyline in the main and it feels great A+ highly recommend. Slamming a T2 field while on the play is just so hateful against so many decks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Zemyla posted:

Plow Under is such an amazing-looking card. It's double land destruction that also ensures the opponent won't draw anything for the next two turns. It must be worse than it seems, though, or else more decks would run it.

It costs five mana in a format where a five mana spell kinda needs to win the game for you.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Shortest Path posted:

Decks don't run it because it's a 4 mana spell in a format where 4+ mana spells must provide huge board presence or directly contribute to winning the game almost immediately.

It's a five mana spell. I do miss playing GW control on Onslaught era standard and rampant growth -> WOG -> Plow Under'ing bitches all day.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Wow, that's just awful, it seems like there is no step WotC can take to ensure only authentic Magic: The Gathering product can be confidently resold on the secondary market that won't ultimately be thwarted by counterfeiters.

there's actually a super easy way: provide a reasonable supply themselves.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

little munchkin posted:

But then how would the price for a two-ounce slice of cardboard and ink be ruinously-eye watering, keeping filthy poors from competing in constructed play?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

little munchkin posted:

This.

There is no reason for modern staples to still be in the 40-50 dollar range due to the lovely print runs of the Masters sets

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well you see, if WOTC didn’t allow for the fantasies of cardboard barons, literally nobody would play their games just like nobody plays LCGs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Well you see, if WOTC didn’t allow for the fantasies of cardboard barons, literally nobody would play their games just like nobody plays LCGs

Do you mean that allowing their distributors to sell singles and compete against LGS's wasn't a good idea.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's a five mana spell. I do miss playing GW control on Onslaught era standard and rampant growth -> WOG -> Plow Under'ing bitches all day.

Eternal Witness/Astral Slide/Plow Under was a cool and fun gameplay loop

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lunsku posted:

Love the insert chosen for LSV in this Channel Fireball team introduction video they put out today:
https://youtu.be/QvQPXyjDJFE

This isn't getting nearly enough love

Videos trying to make nerd sports all serious are invariably hilarious and I'm glad LSV/CFB decided to do something a little fun.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Boxman posted:

This isn't getting nearly enough love

Videos trying to make nerd sports all serious are invariably hilarious and I'm glad LSV/CFB decided to do something a little fun.

Someone should put together a MTG version of those "360 noscope trickshot" CoD videos. I'm imagining something like those dubstep train simulator videos that were a thing a few years ago.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's me, I'm the one who's been running Back to Nature in my board for a year. After reading this thread, I think I want a second. And I will start mainig two Nissa Stewards. In Affinity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zemyla posted:

What others have said, plus with the prevalence of fetch lands they could shuffle away the lands if they really wanted to.

It's a weird card by today's standards but 8th Edition has a lot of those. I think the only decks that would want to play it are ramp decks and even then they have better ways to spend 5 mana. Maybe it'd be best in Ponza (lol) since they have a whole mana denial thing going on.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

TheDemon posted:

If you're okay with digging into Modern, I suppose you could look at decks like Lantern Control, which is another deck that turns the entire game on its head.

How well does that one play now that a bunch of decks are mainboarding leylines? I could see that being really problematic for trying to establish your lock because it prevents you from shuffling their library with lantern, as well as milling them with codex shredders.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

How well does that one play now that a bunch of decks are mainboarding leylines? I could see that being really problematic for trying to establish your lock because it prevents you from shuffling their library with lantern, as well as milling them with codex shredders.

Leyline is a problem for Lantern(although Bell still works and some builds have maelstrom pulse, I think), but I don't think very many decks main Leyline?

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Elyv posted:

Leyline is a problem for Lantern(although Bell still works and some builds have maelstrom pulse, I think), but I don't think very many decks main Leyline?

Maybe I'm just assuming it's more prevalent than it is because I keep reading about it in this thread.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Retromancer posted:

Someone should put together a MTG version of those "360 noscope trickshot" CoD videos. I'm imagining something like those dubstep train simulator videos that were a thing a few years ago.

What's the Magic version of MULTITRACK DRIFTING?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone ever sell cards to cool stuff inc? Just recently found out they have a buy list and I’m going to use the wizard poker crack money for board games anyway.

Lone Goat posted:

What's the Magic version of MULTITRACK DRIFTING?

Storm. It’d also be the easiest to match with Eurobeat

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

If you see back to nature cast against you, you are ether having people gameplanning for you at your local LGS or someone is sneaking them into their sideboards when they play against you. If someone cast back to nature against me I am calling a loving judge because nobody is bold enough to throw it in a 75 these days.

Remember kids, everyone is cheating always. It must be exhausting being so convinced that every single person you play is cheating.

Reminder that I lost to Choke the other week which is 100x more unplayable than Back to Nature and wasn't even good against my deck. People are bad and make bad choices that make them feel clever constantly. Especially in modern.

Back to Nature is the perfect modern sideboard card, really. It's worthless 99% of the time but when you draw it you win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

I didn't realise that it was 30 cards, but it's pretty impressive that half a room is running mill decks when there's only one non-rare mill card in the format.

Though at that point they might want to build their deck to take advantage of the flipped ability of the cannon because a bolt every turn is pretty good. Maybe add more cheaper spells to get the flip condition to trigger.

Well, my LGS banned Navigator's Ruin in league, so I'll just say the problem solved itself and Vance's stays.