Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

nightwisher posted:

RIP everything but Solar Spectre builds.

maybe somebody will give my lunaris wintermage spectre idea a go now since they can be spawned at any level with a map mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phayray posted:

They fixed the bug that actually gave you a shot at getting your spectre of choice in a higher level map using desecrate.

This bug was the only thing allowing my spectre build to even work beyond T12 maps and now, rip unless I get insanely lucky (and then don't try any content that might kill my spectre).

Oh wow, I didn't know about that. That really sucks.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I've got about 10ex to my name and I'm looking for a Shaper/Guardian killer build (never killed Shaper before, hoping to do so this league). I'd like to do SR/RF since I've never done it before. Anyone have a good guide? It seems like there's a lot of disagreement about inquisitor vs chieftain vs guardian.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
I'm doing a Scion Bow Build using the Retch and a physical harbinger bow that I'm converting to lightning for vinktar leech, and I'm having trouble deciding what to choose for my second ascendant. Basically I figure it's between Deadeye and Raider. I'm going to use barrage for single target, then was hoping I could just use the Tempest Helm for AoE so that I could wear a Kaoms. Would Pierce or Chain be better in that setup? I figure that's basically the question that will determine which I choose. Also, I was going to use poacher's mark as well, so that's already two sources of frenzy generation, but, they aren't necessarily reliable during bosses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'd go raider just for the more reliable charge generation during boss fights, but I'm a lazy PoS when it comes to weapon swaps or other tricks to get around that. 

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mr. Despair posted:

I'd go raider just for the more reliable charge generation during boss fights, but I'm a lazy PoS when it comes to weapon swaps or other tricks to get around that. 

same

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm pretty sure the +1 Projectile from Deadeye will give more damage than 3 Frenzy Charges on single target.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SRS still feels really weird to play as I enter maps. Not sure if its my own lack of practice with a complicated(ish) build or the nature of summons/AI that's throwing me off, or what.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Well seeing as my desire to run Spectres has died out the arse, time to theorycraft a (almost certainly stupid) "minion" build involving Speaker's Wreath, Dominating Blow and Jorrhast's Blacksteel...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Chris Wilson posted:

In 3.0.2, we fixed a bug where Desecrate would choose from any possible monster that could spawn in the current area including those that you had as Spectres, but noting that it could not spawn monsters that could never spawn in that area (such as non-map monsters). This was especially confusing due to the fact that there are some monsters that share the same name between their campaign and map versions but are technically different monster types.

The reason why we fixed this was because it was very confusing as to why some monsters could be created with Desecrate if you had them as a Spectre, but others could not be (depending on what area you were in). There wasn't an internal list, it was just due to the unclear way Desecrate worked. We received a lot of complaints in 3.0.0 about how confusing Desecrate's behaviour was, due to the fact that 3.0.0 contained a lot of monsters that shared names between campaign and map versions while technically being different monster types.

The fix to this in yesterday's 3.0.2 update was to make Desecrate work how it was intended to work originally, where it summons monsters from the actual area you're currently in.

Community feedback has shown us that players found the prior behaviour very important, so we are explicitly changing the formal behaviour of Desecrate to: "Desecrates the ground, summoning corpses and dealing chaos damage to all enemies in the area. The corpses will be chosen from the monsters in the current area and any Spectres that have existed in this instance."

We expect to release this change early next week. Thanks for your feedback.

This is a buff.

I never doubted u Chris :angel:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

SRS still feels really weird to play as I enter maps. Not sure if its my own lack of practice with a complicated(ish) build or the nature of summons/AI that's throwing me off, or what.

it's definitely not a build you ever really turn your brain off with, you're always summoning more skulls or re-casting an offering or re-positioning to get in aura range of the summons and dodging attacks (because despite having 7-8k hp you have no defenses and are still pretty squishy)

e: and if you have none of that to do you can spam ball lightnings to apply EE / curses and maybe find time to pick up loot

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Aaaaand Chris Wilson posted on Reddit that they're going to revert the changes and allow spectre corpses to be summoned via Desecrate again. It was a buff.

gently caress it I'm still going with my idea - Speakers Wreath prevents minions from killing mobs unless ignited, I run around super-fast with multistrike splash dominating blow and use that to kill the 1hp monsters, reanimate them, and for each one I kill I get a 25% chance to summon 2 weapons. Basically I want to crash instances with sheer minion count. Maybe I could stick cast on melee kill into dominating blow and throw in SRS as well, I'll have dom blow linked to inc duration and both sets of duration nodes on the tree, so i could probably hit max count for SRS too. Stack a tonne of minion speed and attack speed, and have a GMP ball lightning on hand to clean up stragglers. Or maybe some kind of reliable ignite infliction.

Really, really dumb, but it's MY build idea damnit.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2017

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Soothing Vapors posted:

I never doubted u Chris :angel:

Nice, still don't want to play spectres but it's reaffirming to see them react to strong feedback.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Indecisive posted:

it's definitely not a build you ever really turn your brain off with, you're always summoning more skulls or re-casting an offering or re-positioning to get in aura range of the summons and dodging attacks (because despite having 7-8k hp you have no defenses and are still pretty squishy)

e: and if you have none of that to do you can spam ball lightnings to apply EE / curses and maybe find time to pick up loot

I guess that's what it is, I'm used to only being mindful on harbinger packs and bosses with 99% of my other builds. It is fun, but I dunno how long I'm gonna want to play a build like it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of other builds: ED/Contagion. Scion Occultist/Deadeye, Occultist, or Trickster? It looks like all of them heavily favor going ES, so I guess I'd be trying that again too (I've never been comfortable with ES the two or three times I've tried it). Unless life versions of the three can work?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 13, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I seriously don't understand why they bother with the insanely unintuitive Desecrate behavior when there's an obvious simple fix to the issue: Raise Spectre always sets the Spectre to a flat level based on the level of the gem no matter where you got the monster from. It doesn't even make sense for Raise Spectre to NOT work like this.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ultima66 posted:

I seriously don't understand why they bother with the insanely unintuitive Desecrate behavior when there's an obvious simple fix to the issue: Raise Spectre always sets the Spectre to a flat level based on the level of the gem no matter where you got the monster from. It doesn't even make sense for Raise Spectre to NOT work like this.

but then you could get a level 84 specter and afk farm dired lage!!!

btw gently caress u crhis I deleted my alt necro yesterday so I could level a different alt

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Interesting that there's still a small change in behavior compared to how it worked before. Before, it was able to pull from the entire pool of mobs that *could* spawn in the area. Now it will only place corpses of mobs that *did* spawn in the area.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Phayray posted:

This bug was the only thing allowing my spectre build to even work beyond T12 maps and now, rip unless I get insanely lucky (and then don't try any content that might kill my spectre).

I know they 'fixed' it now, but what the gently caress is this poo poo? They literally just reverted desecrate back to how it was before 2.6, and people have been playing spectre summoners at the highest levels of content for every patch as long as I can remember

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

nightwisher posted:

gently caress it I'm still going with my idea - Speakers Wreath prevents minions from killing mobs unless ignited, I run around super-fast with multistrike splash dominating blow and use that to kill the 1hp monsters, reanimate them, and for each one I kill I get a 25% chance to summon 2 weapons. Basically I want to crash instances with sheer minion count. Maybe I could stick cast on melee kill into dominating blow and throw in SRS as well, I'll have dom blow linked to inc duration and both sets of duration nodes on the tree, so i could probably hit max count for SRS too. Stack a tonne of minion speed and attack speed, and have a GMP ball lightning on hand to clean up stragglers. Or maybe some kind of reliable ignite infliction.

This sounds hilarious, and I would love to see the resulting powerpoint presentation.

Ultima66 posted:

:agreed:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of other builds: ED/Contagion. Scion Occultist/Deadeye, Occultist, or Trickster? It looks like all of them heavily favor going ES, so I guess I'd be trying that again too (I've never been comfortable with ES the two or three times I've tried it). Unless life versions of the three can work?

An ES-centric Occultist with Pain Attunement and Zealot's Oath is what I've been playing and it's good although it depends a lot on a couple of very expensive uniques. A Trickster with Mind Over Matter can get plenty of effective HP and mobility. I haven't tried a Scion yet but that's one of the things I'm contemplating for next league.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
Welp I figured the Desecrate changes were an intentional stopgap measure, but man I was just proven wrong by the head developer and they plan to make things easier for summoners across the board. This is a buff!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
we are explicitly changing the formal behaviour of Desecrate to: "Desecrates the ground, summoning corpses and dealing chaos damage to all enemies in the area. The corpses will be chosen from the monsters in the current area and any Spectres that have existed in this instance."

So does this mean you can grab the spectre of your choice from any story act, hop over to the highest tier map of your choice and then desecrate will bring in high level versions of your currently low level guys?

Have spectres finally become usable without a half hour and multiple chaos worth of maps thrown away to summon and resummon?

If so, I think spectre will be my next league starter.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 13, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Have spectres finally become usable without a half hour and multiple chaos worth of maps thrown away to summon and resummon?

They always were.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

They always were.

yesterday they werent unless you used one specific

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

TheRat posted:

I know they 'fixed' it now, but what the gently caress is this poo poo? They literally just reverted desecrate back to how it was before 2.6, and people have been playing spectre summoners at the highest levels of content for every patch as long as I can remember

Not everyone is able to dedicate enormous amounts of time/currency every login to get their spectre of choice. This is obviously alleviated a good deal with the persistence, but I also played spectres before 2.6, and it sucked. Just because people did it doesn't mean it wasn't a huge pain in the rear end. I don't have that kind of time anymore.

I haven't had a chance to test yet, but the formalization of the desecrate change seems to imply that I don't need to cycle maps until my spectre gets on my desecrate table anymore (since it wasn't a guarantee) which also owns.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 13, 2017

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Not having much time to play but finally beat Act 10 Kitava yesterday (GC mines just melted it) and did some maps for the first time. Just ripped my char in a blue T3 sewer map - about 10 large black zombies had spawned behind the spider boss at the end and popped me from 4.6k health (not including MoM) to dead in well under half a second. I'd killed the boss and was moving in to pick up my loot when they aggroed - what the gently caress was that so I know to look for it / use an alt on the map modifiers next time?

At least I got a bit of currency farmed up so I can get a tabula if I want to re-roll in HC but not sure I can be bothered doing that again...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

nightwisher posted:

Aaaaand Chris Wilson posted on Reddit that they're going to revert the changes and allow spectre corpses to be summoned via Desecrate again. It was a buff.

Isn't there a limit cap to the number of zombies/srs/aw you can have up? It'd be what, 10+20+50 if you manage to max things out?

Basically I'm just warning you that they already put an end to AW crashing poo poo back in 2.6.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

aejix posted:

Not having much time to play but finally beat Act 10 Kitava yesterday (GC mines just melted it) and did some maps for the first time. Just ripped my char in a blue T3 sewer map - about 10 large black zombies had spawned behind the spider boss at the end and popped me from 4.6k health (not including MoM) to dead in well under half a second. I'd killed the boss and was moving in to pick up my loot when they aggroed - what the gently caress was that so I know to look for it / use an alt on the map modifiers next time?

At least I got a bit of currency farmed up so I can get a tabula if I want to re-roll in HC but not sure I can be bothered doing that again...

hardcore isn't fun, dude

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

An ES-centric Occultist with Pain Attunement and Zealot's Oath is what I've been playing and it's good although it depends a lot on a couple of very expensive uniques. A Trickster with Mind Over Matter can get plenty of effective HP and mobility. I haven't tried a Scion yet but that's one of the things I'm contemplating for next league.

I ended up going with following an OF build for lowlife Scion occultist/trickster. Up to 50, so far so good I guess. The previous times I've tried ES have been uncomfortable at best, though, but we'll see.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I stopped playing HC except for like, the 2 week challenge races because at least in those there may be some opportunity to slow and steady your way to a demi or something.

There's no competing in Standard league races against people who will play for 36 hours straight. At least someone doing the same in HC might die due to poor judgement from lack of sleep.

I suppose someday when I can play again I'll have to finally level a character to 90 in HC just for the achievement, but I'm otherwise done with it.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

...people who will play for 36 hours straight...might die due to poor judgement from lack of sleep.

Or deep vein thrombosis

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I played a lowlife ED Occultist in Breach and cleared all the end-game content. It is slower clearspeed that Trickster, but at the time it was a lot more boss dps. With the buffs to Trickster in 3.0, I think Trickster is probably better (outside of doing something you specifically need Occultist for such as Xirgil's Crank). I got a SSF ED Trickster up to like level 88 this league and it was a lot of fun to play. If you don't like ES, I would definitely suggest a life-based Trickster with MoM.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So, my vague sense is that I should load up viper strike for bosses for my terminus est flicker? Anything else I should do? I'm still leveling through act 8-9ish.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

hardcore isn't fun, dude

Got to admit I'm slowly coming to realise this particular game might be the one time I'll go back to playing softcore. Got the main storyline beat going in blind to the bosses but mapping is a bit different. Also, turns out the thing that killed me was https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Congealing_Blood :shepface:

aejix fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 13, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

silvergoose posted:

So, my vague sense is that I should load up viper strike for bosses for my terminus est flicker? Anything else I should do? I'm still leveling through act 8-9ish.

Flicker strike works pretty well on bosses already, a warchief totem can help though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mr. Despair posted:

Flicker strike works pretty well on bosses already, a warchief totem can help though.
Yeah, get a warchief totem. You have to be careful with some bosses that you don't flicker into some big wind-up one-shot strike (Atziri, that guy in the temple map with the portals, stuff like that) but you can just let go of the flicker button briefly when that happens

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Hm, okay. I've been finding myself running out of frenzy charges real quick when I don't kill anything, so it's been flicker flicker nnnnnngh wait two seconds flicker flicker, which isn't great.

I'll add in the totem, I guess. I suspect getting some more gear on me will be good, gotta hit 63 for my daresso's defiance, and get an abyssus, and so on.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You really need your diamond flask to be up, and decent crit chance overall.

As long as your flask is up you you should be critting enough to stay afloat (it gets better as you get 4-5 frnzy charges so you have a buffet too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

You really need your diamond flask to be up, and decent crit chance overall.

As long as your flask is up you you should be critting enough to stay afloat (it gets better as you get 4-5 frnzy charges so you have a buffet too)

Yeah I'm including diamond flasks, and yeah obviously since my gear is not ready and I'm missing some key passives still, my crit chance isn't high enough.

I'm at 4 frenzy charge max right now, which is great for whenever I'm killing poo poo with blood rage up, but just is fizzling single target. I'll work on gear, and of course just getting more levels.