Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Went in for a PHA today and at the end the doc thanked me for my service and said that those NFL players should stand for the anthem. I replied that it was their right so I don't hold it against em. He just said oh and then I left. That is my Army story of the day kthx

Temp dog tax:
https://m.imgur.com/LRRoMHS?r

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

I wish the Army would just hire civilians for staff duty so that I stop getting surprise staff duty shifts on the weekend

And it's a weekend right after getting back from NTC so I'm sure some dumb rear end will go do something completely loving retarded that no moderately intelligent person would ever do, resulting in paperwork for me to work on instead of enjoying my weekend. Assholes.

:awesome:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So are we firmly into the second panel of the Terminal Lance leadership life expectancy now or is this the transition into the third?

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Im high as gently caress and really the "eyes are always on me, im doing something wrong" phase has started to go away post DD-214. Waiting for the other shoe to drop for like two loving years. For no reason. I never dealt with that in my life but when I got out I have always felt like im doing something wrong when im not.

Is this weird? Goes to class, pay bills on time, doing nothing wrong...but feels like im doing wrong, like im waiting for things to go 0 to 100 but never do, shits stresses me out.

I need some 100

all apologies fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 11, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

all apologies posted:

Im high as gently caress and really the "eyes are always on me, im doing something wrong" phase has started to go away post DD-214. Waiting for the other shoe to drop for like two loving years. For no reason. I never dealt with that in my life but when I got out I have always felt like im doing something wrong when im not.

Is this weird? Goes to class, pay bills on time, doing nothing wrong...but feels like im doing wrong, like im waiting for things to go 0 to 100 but never do, shits stresses me out.

That scares the crap out of me.

I sincerely hope I can be free once I'm "retired".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it goes away

but it takes a long time

and the longer you're in, the longer it takes

probably a good rule is twice as long as you've been in

sorry careerists that's what you get

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

it goes away

but it takes a long time

Meh. I'm starting a new career where it'll keep me on my toes.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

all apologies posted:

I need some 100

You gotta remember that you weren't actually doing anything wrong.

You were just surrounded by dickless malcontents who wanted you to suffer.

Said dipshits aren't around any more, they're busy gargling someone's nuts for more rank. And you dont have to worry about them any more.

You get that feeling have a look around and check for any poo poo stains in uniform, and they aren't there. And if for some reason there are, remember that they got absolutely zero power over you because military bullshit ain't poo poo.

Failing that just smoke a fat doobie and chillax.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Meh. I'm starting a new career where it'll keep me on my toes.

Future contractor at the Pentagon J3 FUOPS?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

So are we firmly into the second panel of the Terminal Lance leadership life expectancy now or is this the transition into the third?

No, I think he's going to have to do a Kuwait rotation first.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vasudus posted:

it goes away

but it takes a long time

Weed makes it go away way faster. I was a career guy, and retired medically.

:420: seriously helps.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

Future contractor at the Pentagon J3 FUOPS?

Nope. Worse. Elementary school teacher.

Teaching small children to read and write should be significantly less stressful than dealing with Soldiers.

Probably less pants making GBS threads too. :colbert:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah but you can't get away with beating children as easily.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was a summer camp counselor for a marine science camp geared towards teenagers, it isn't as bad as you think.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Rat posted:

Yeah but you can't get away with beating children as easily.

I prefer non-violent solutions. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI6Jmgb04lU

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was a summer camp counselor for a marine science camp geared towards teenagers, it isn't as bad as you think.

I coach sports for teens now. That's enough for me to know that I don't want to teach teens.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

To be fair, having a salty old former MP officer who loves kids teaching elementary school is probably amazing and we need more people like that, so kudos to you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

To be fair, having a salty old former MP officer who loves kids teaching elementary school is probably amazing and we need more people like that, so kudos to you.

Thank you. I actually got the idea to look into it from a couple of friends who did the same thing.

Turns out, if you're a guy, school systems will let you write your own ticket if you want to teach elementary. Also, since it's a state job, I'll have another 20 year retirement before I'm 60 with medical benefits too.

In addition to all that you get weekends, holidays, and summers off (and paid while your enjoying them too).

I seriously recommend you guys try volunteering at your local school (just help some kid read a book for 30 minutes or something). You might find your calling.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Since I'm an IT nerd I'm probably going to try to teach computer nerd classes at the YMCA or a local library or something. Really like teaching and investigated it as a career before a family friend who is one talked me through how turbo hosed education is in America.

...and that was like a decade ago. Now DeVos is ripping out the entrails of the gutted education system and pissing on the hole before auctioning off the mangled remains to the highest bidder.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

all apologies posted:

I need some 100

No, I'm with you. Just one year out.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Since I'm an IT nerd I'm probably going to try to teach computer nerd classes at the YMCA or a local library or something. Really like teaching and investigated it as a career before a family friend who is one talked me through how turbo hosed education is in America.

...and that was like a decade ago. Now DeVos is ripping out the entrails of the gutted education system and pissing on the hole before auctioning off the mangled remains to the highest bidder.

I'm really hard-headed and willing to fight for kids, if the situation arises.

The school system I'm going to is one of the top ones in the nation though and I don't think there will be too many issues.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

not caring here posted:

Said dipshits aren't around any more, they're busy gargling someone's nuts for more rank. And you dont have to worry about them any more.

You get that feeling have a look around and check for any poo poo stains in uniform, and they aren't there. And if for some reason there are, remember that they got absolutely zero power over you because military bullshit ain't poo poo.

You dont get it its so bad it can make me loving cry dude. Im like 6'5 with two sleeves not that it matters at all but I can handle a lot and always have but I sincerely feel like im doing wrong and I am not man ive been out for two years, been a year since my divorce...things are okay now money wise school wise but god drat I feel like something bad is coming always 1000%. I was in for only 6 years that all just 6.

Im not suicidal at all its just im tired and I dont work but it feels like I work a 50 hour work week. I see the docs. I am doing ALL the right things but I still feel so wrong, and I had a great Army career.

This is loving sick. I am not crazy just venting. Carry on..and yeah when I can escape for those 15 minutes its nice but man its always there. The smoke helps a lot as it replaced pain meds and poo poo.

not caring here posted:

Thank you and I know these things logically if it makes sense...it just feels like a plug isnt plugged in to the other side of my brain. Logically I can operate fine but the other side wont just listen. That time in was more stressful than I thought maybe? I do not know but I do know id go running back right now if you asked me to sign right now.

110%

Thats 140% retarded.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 11, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

all apologies posted:

You dont get it its so bad it can make me loving cry dude. Im like 6'5 with two sleeves not that it matters at all but I can handle a lot and always have but I sincerely feel like im doing wrong and I am not man ive been out for two years, been a year since my divorce...things are okay now money wise school wise but god drat I feel like something bad is coming always 1000%. I was in for only 6 years that all just 6.

Im not suicidal at all its just im tired and I dont work but it feels like I work a 50 hour work week. I see the docs. I am doing ALL the right things but I still feel so wrong, and I had a great Army career.

This is loving sick. I am not crazy just venting. Carry on..and yeah when I can escape for those 15 minutes its nice but man its always there. The smoke helps a lot as it replaced pain meds and poo poo.

Thank you and I know these things logically if it makes sense...it just feels like a plug isnt plugged in to the other side of my brain. Logically I can operate fine but the other side wont just listen. That time in was more stressful than I thought maybe? I do not know but I do know id go running back right now if you asked me to sign right now.

110%

Thats 140% retarded.

I'm with you here man. Like I said, 9 years out 1 year ago. I have panic attacks making class on time. I 100% understand.

Smoking is good but it needs a counterweight. I am trying to get into meditation. Nothing big or crazy, but breathing exercises that help me tone my brain down because mine runs 24/7 non-stop. Your brain kind of feels like someone is mashing the gas but you're stuck in neutral right? Just high RPM but no real movement? Same here.

You have to do something physical. Mental health and physical health are so related it's like trying to deny climate change. Do something YOU like to do though. I like taking walks with my kids and occasionally kicking a soccer ball (when my legs let me). Swimming too. I know the days I don't do anything because I am bored but depressed and anxious and no amount of pot can shut me off.

Am I nervous? Hell yes, I literally don't know if I made the right choice (I did) and if I will succeed (I will) but I know that I am free to do what I want, say what I believe, and not let others push me around.

What you are doing is fine, keep in mind we are in an age where tattoos are not the occupational death sentence it was long ago.

Breathe, take 5 minutes and close your mind. Focus on your breathing. Breathe in and count to a number, and exhale to that same count. Every time you start to drift and think of something else, use your breathing and count to focus your brain on counting. Eventually, the RPMs will slow down. It just takes practice and the thought of "gently caress it, it sounds stupid but what can it hurt?"

Feel free to PM me or whatever. I may not be the most solid of foundation, but we are in the same storm.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The better my life is going the more paranoid I am that the bottom is eventually going to fall out.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was medically retired. I remember two years ago when it finally became final, I was posting in the G Hangouts thread, and literally crying my eyes out.
Since then, I got into a competitive "academic" program at the highest ranked school in it's field. I've gotten married to a woman who I don't deserve, who is loving and supportive to a fault.
I still get that feeling of 'RPM/Neutral',even though I've been out officially for two years, realistically much longer.
I have a myriad of health problems that limit me in my day to day life, and one day I decided to say gently caress it. I'm going to hurt anyway, let's know why. I started going to the gym with some classmates. I don't do much, but the mutual support has been amazing.

Start a new hobby. Model making helped me a lot for awhile. The attention to detail, and just focus helped a lot. I also did some competitive shooting for awhile. I sucked at it, but it helped me feel linked to my Army roots and let me turn money into noise for fun. Turns out, shooting is amazing when the Army doesn't fist gently caress it. Same with hiking, and jogging.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was medically retired. I remember two years ago when it finally became final, I was posting in the G Hangouts thread, and literally crying my eyes out.
Since then, I got into a competitive "academic" program at the highest ranked school in it's field. I've gotten married to a woman who I don't deserve, who is loving and supportive to a fault.
I still get that feeling of 'RPM/Neutral',even though I've been out officially for two years, realistically much longer.
I have a myriad of health problems that limit me in my day to day life, and one day I decided to say gently caress it. I'm going to hurt anyway, let's know why. I started going to the gym with some classmates. I don't do much, but the mutual support has been amazing.

Start a new hobby. Model making helped me a lot for awhile. The attention to detail, and just focus helped a lot. I also did some competitive shooting for awhile. I sucked at it, but it helped me feel linked to my Army roots and let me turn money into noise for fun. Turns out, shooting is amazing when the Army doesn't fist gently caress it. Same with hiking, and jogging.

Good for you, man.

So, you gonna buy the new dress uniform if it looks cool?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
If anybody wants to feel better about themselves just know that I'm stuck at Ft. Drum until Monday because our contract plane out of here is stuck in Japan or something. We were supposed to be out of here tomorrow.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Triggs posted:

If anybody wants to feel better about themselves just know that I'm stuck at Ft. Drum until Monday because our contract plane out of here is stuck in Japan or something. We were supposed to be out of here tomorrow.

Well it's not like you'll be stuck there even if it's whiteout conditions and -70°F with wind chill. Ask me about almost dying on the flight line.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Do tell

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Well it's not like you'll be stuck there even if it's whiteout conditions and -70°F with wind chill. Ask me about almost dying on the flight line.

Tell us about almost dying on the flight line.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

January vacation to JRTC standing in front of the plane for 10 minutes waiting for the bag truck to roll up while wearing a PT hat, pair of Mechanix, that poo poo elastic neck slinkie that didn't do anything, and the soft (level 3?) cold weather top over a regular uniform. I felt like I was dying until we started hauling rear end and hucking duffels halfway up the bag ramp just to get some blood flowing. It had been a high of like -15 that day, it was some godawful hour in the middle of the night so probably -30ish, and wind that felt like sideways gravity. Literally in the middle of a blizzard.

Walk onto the plane after everyone's loaded up and the bunch of dickless fucks with rank couldn't even leave us the front rows.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Fuuuuuck that.

The coldest I've ever been in was -25 and as soon as it started to sink in something back in the ol' reptile brain said "if you don't get someplace warm you're gonna be in some serious trouble".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So is the SGM academy just to teach CSMs how to ruin everything? Everything they say is bad and loving sucks.

Morale would improve just by getting rid of every CSM in the Army.

OPS SGMs are generally good though, which is weird.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

So is the SGM academy just to teach CSMs how to ruin everything? Everything they say is bad and loving sucks.

I used to routinely crop-dust our ops sgm for how useless he was. He only had the position because he got a DUI and was friends with the brigade CSM, so he rode out his retirement there and generally had the anti-Midas touch (everything turned to poo poo when he was involved).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

:laffo:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

Yesssss. Let the hate flow through you....

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Mustang posted:

Shockingly, the biggest piece of poo poo CSM I ever saw was just coming off of being the commandant for the academy. Sure it's a great idea to have people standing outside waiting on chow for like half an hour, but so help me God if I find any of you wearing fleece caps... No, I don't give a poo poo that it's below freezing. What the gently caress is frostbite?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

In the field outside and cold so you're wearing your beanie? You can't wear them anymore.

Dudes at the Staff duty desk bored all day and on their cell phones? You can't use your cell phone anymore, read a military book or FM.

Recently spent money on a unit hoodie to wear to PT? Well now you can't wear them to PT anymore.

Good thing we have CSMs looking out for soldiers and making such useful contributions to the unit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Shockingly, the biggest piece of poo poo CSM I ever saw was just coming off of being the commandant for the academy. Sure it's a great idea to have people standing outside waiting on chow for like half an hour, but so help me God if I find any of you wearing fleece caps... No, I don't give a poo poo that it's below freezing. What the gently caress is frostbite?

Hatred of the fleece cap must be one of the cornerstones of the SGM Academy it seems

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The black beanie was the one go to piece of kit that looked like you were about to do some serious army work.

The green beanie, eh, not so much but it looked practical as long as it fit your head properly.

Half foreign legion cap half baseball cap abortion? SUPER PROFESSIOANL HOOAH ARMY STRONG HOOAH PARADE REST HOOAH PLEASE RAM A COPY OF 670-1 UP MY rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I really took great pleasure in wearing my boonie cap the entire time I was OCONUS, surprisingly nobody ever said anything about it.