Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/918427598207766528

Kibner come get your mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

leftist heap posted:

a list of stars that doesn't include Dion Waiters smdh

Maybe he was limiting it to players who made the top 100 list.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That could seriously be my handwriting. I had to do a double take haha. Weird.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Steph Curry reading hedgefund Ray Dalio's book

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Draymond Green: "Why don't all these dumb loving teams just add the second-best player in the league to an already-elite roster?"

quote:

“It’s so funny sitting back and watching this poo poo,” he starts, before pausing to pull his phone out of his jeans, looking through the Golden State Warriors’ group chat. (The team has one, and the Hampton Five—Green, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Iguodala, and Kevin Durant, the five guys that were in the Hamptons in the summer of 2016 to recruit KD—has another.) He wants to relay something that Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey had said in an interview, reacting to the Warriors' title. The team had texted it to each other: “They are not unbeatable. There have been bigger upsets in sports history. We are going to keep improving our roster. We are used to long odds. If Golden State makes the odds longer, we might up our risk profile and get even more aggressive. We have something up our sleeve.”

Then he pauses, scoffing at Morey’s comments.

“What the gently caress are you talking about?” he says to me. “They are really trying to rethink their whole strategy”—here he bumps a table repeatedly with his hand for emphasis, getting excited—“because teams know they don’t have a loving clue.”

On a roll now, he remembers the Warriors’ lone playoff loss, in Game 4 of the Finals, when the Cavs sank twenty-four three-pointers, an NBA Finals record.

“That’d never been done!” Green exclaims. “They don’t come out and hit twenty-four threes and they’re swept. And that’s the second best team in the world. It’s pretty loving sick to see how everybody is just in a loving panic about what to do. You sit back and think, like, these motherfuckers, they know. That’s the fun part about it: They know they don’t stand a chance.”

Good to have some extra juice for hating the Warriors heading into the season

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I mean, I don't see how Draymond's wrong here. good to see he's at least embracing full heel

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Now the Western Conference!

SOUTHWEST DIVISION

San Antonio Spurs: The greatest franchise of the 21st century. The Spurs have won five rings under coach Gregg Popovich and, until recently, PF/C Tim Duncan. They have played several styles under him based around personnel, and they are always always always a contender in the West. Duncan has retired and former stars Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are in their career twilights, so they have become known as the team of Kawhi Leonard, a defensive nightmare who has also developed a formidable offensive game. Known for a no-nonsense culture with little flash to them. They just win.
Stars to watch: Kawhi Leonard, LaMarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker
Historic players to know: Tim Duncan, David Robinson, George Gervin

Dallas Mavericks: Were typically bad until tech billionaire Mark Cuban bought the team and they drafted Dirk Nowitzki, the greatest European baller ever. The Mavs were one of the West's premiere teams for most of the 2000s and up until the last few years. Finally got their first title in 2011 over the heavily favored Miami Heat, but right now they're low on talent. Have a brilliant head coach in Rick Carlisle.
Stars to watch: Nowitzki, Dennis Smith Jr., Nerlens Noel
Historic players to know: Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Michael Finly

Houston Rockets: A solid franchise with a couple of titles and a history of amazing centers. Run by e-sports nerd Daryl Morey, the Rockets have embraced the advanced stats revolution more than any other franchise. They absolutely refuse to take midrange shots, opting instead for a ludicrous amount of threes and attacking the rim to earn free throws. Nobody is better at this than James Harden (the guy with a huge beard). Also acquired legendary point guard Chris Paul via trade this offseason. Should be a contender to the Warriors throne.
Stars to watch: Harden, Paul
Historic players to know: Hakeem Olajuwon, Yao Ming, Elvin Hayes, Moses Malone, Tracy McGrady

New Orleans Pelicans: See the history of the Charlotte Hornets I posted earlier. The Pelicans are not a particularly good franchise and currently have a very bizarre lineup, but also boast arguably the two best big men in the league: Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins. The pair has only played together since February and it's still a mystery how they'll turn out. I was just in New Orleans and it's an incredibly cool city for what it's worth.
Stars to watch: Davis, Cousins, Jrue Holiday
Historic players to know: Chris Paul, Baron Davis

Memphis Grizzlies: Originally founded in Vancouver (hence the name) but much more embraced by their current city. The Grizzlies of the last half-dozen years or so established themselves as the team of "Grit 'n' Grind": a suffocating, old school style that most teams dreaded playing against. The Grizz are forum favorites and have an awesome culture around them, but their style of play is not enough to overcome the talent deficiencies they've had in the West.
Stars to watch: Marc Gasol, Mike Conley
Historic players to know: Zach Randolph, Pau Gasol

NORTHWEST DIVISION

Oklahoma City Thunder: Originally the Seattle Supersonics, who were a pretty decent franchise. Moved to Oklahoma in 2008 when the owners couldn't secure an arena deal. The newly christened Thunder were strongly embraced by their small new market and almost instantly became contenders thanks to excellent draft picks like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and James Harden. Harden got traded to Houston and Durant fled to Golden State after being a game away from beating them, so now an enraged Westbrook leads the way. For my money, he's the most fun player to watch in the league, and two blockbuster trades for Paul George and Carmelo Anthony have made the Thunder a must-see team this year.
Stars to watch: Westbrook, George, Anthony
Historic players to know: Durant and Harden in OKC. Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp and Ray Allen in Seattle.

Minnesota Timberwolves: An exciting team of young guys who can jump extremely high but haven't had many wins to show for it. Center Karl-Anthony Towns is one of the league's newest superstars and they made a big trade on draft night for Jimmy Butler, who is a top 10 player. Can the Wolves overcome a brutal Western Conference to finally make the playoffs for the first time in over a decade? We'll see.
Stars to watch: Towns, Butler, Andrew Wiggins
Historic players to know: Kevin Garnett, Kevin Love

Denver Nuggets: A weird team that's usually kind of bad but make NBA nerds excited. Known for extremely high scoring games in the thin air of Colorado. Not a big fanbase but they might make the playoffs this year? They don't have much history to speak of.
Stars to watch: Nikola Jokic, Gary Harris
Historic players to know: Alex English, Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, David Thompson

Portland Trail Blazers: A beloved small market franchise that's found some success over the years but doesn't usually sustain it. Lately a great offensive team and poor defensive team that has had trouble building depth with the salary cap. Pretty fun and low stakes. Iconic logo.
Stars to watch: Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum
Historic players to know: Clyde Drexler, Bill Walton, Rasheed Wallace, LaMarcus Aldridge

Utah Jazz: They have a bizarre and ironic name because they were originally founded in New Orleans. Another small market team that is notoriously hard to beat at home. The Jazz have never won a title (thanks, Michael Jordan) but they have rarely been outright bad. They were a solid team last year but their best player left in free agency so who knows what to expect now. Known for stifling defense.
Stars to watch: Rudy Gobert, Ricky Rubio
Historic players to know: Karl Malone, John Stockton, Adrian Dantley, Andrei Kirilenko

PACIFIC DIVISION

Golden State Warriors: The crown jewel of the NBA. The Warriors were mostly bad for about 40 years, but due to great front office moves, coaching, draft picks and pure luck, they have become the dominant franchise. They've won two of the last three Finals, and the year they lost they still had the greatest record in the history of the NBA (73-9!) and had a 3-1 lead in a 7-game Finals series. They move the ball constantly and drain threes from a bajillion feet away. On national television every week. Have awful bandwagon tech bro fans mixed in with cool NBA nerd guys that have been following them since the Run-TMC days in the 90s. Originally based in Philadelphia.
Stars to watch: Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Klay Thompson
Historic players to know: Rick Barry, Wilt Chamberlain, Chris Mullin, Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond

Los Angeles Lakers: The most storied franchise in the West, best known for their runs in the 80s and 2000s and for their 50+ year rivalry with the Celtics. Something like five of the top 10 players in the history of the NBA have been Lakers, and their games are a place to be seen in LA. Anyway, they suck total rear end now. The roster is a bunch of young guys trying to figure it out, led by No. 2 draft pick Lonzo Ball, who is a humble young man with a truly insane Sports Dad. If you want to root for a historically great team without feeling like a frontrunner, now is the time. They have an ironic name because they started in Minnesota.
Stars to watch: Ball, Brandon Ingram
Historic players to know: Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, George Mikan, James Worthy...

LA Clippers: Started as the Buffalo Braves and took on the Clippers moniker after moving to San Diego. They moved north to Los Angeles in the 80s and have played in the shadow of the Lakers for most of that time. An atrocious franchise for a long time under notorious racist cheapskate owner Donald Sterling, the Clippers became an exciting team after acquiring Chris Paul and Blake Griffin at the end of the last decade/beginning of this one. Injury problems and a lack of depth plus an insanely deep conference kept that team from ever even making the conference finals though. Still the best team in LA.
Stars to watch: Griffin, DeAndre Jordan
Historic players to know: Chris Paul, Elton Brand, Danny Manning, Bob McAdoo

Phoenix Suns: Never won a title but until recently have pretty much always been good. Best known for the Seven Seconds or Less offense they adopted in the early 2000s under now-Rockets coach Mike D'Antoni and point guard Steve Nash. Today they are an extremely young team aimed squarely at building for the future. Don't expect much for a few years.
Stars to watch: Devin Booker, Eric Bledsoe, Josh Jackson
Historic players to know: Nash, Charles Barkley, Shawn Marion

Sacramento Kings: Formerly the Cincinnati Royals, then the Kansas City-Omaha Kings, and often rumored to be moving to Seattle, Sacramento is known for being one of the worst-run franchises in all of sports. They were really good in the early 2000s but could never get past the Lakers, and they have been total poo poo since then. Traded disgruntled Star DeMarcus Cousins during the All-Star Game last year. They have a good coach in former Grizzlies head man Dave Joerger but their roster is full of question marks. They had a cool redesign.
Stars to watch: De'Aaron Fox, Skal Labissiere, George Hill
Historic players to know: Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Oscar Robertson, Tiny Archibald, Mitch Richmond

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Another thing about preseason is that coaches have wildly different philosophies on what to do during it. So this unfortunately makes it bad as a predictor of things because often two teams meet up where both coaches have different goals or purposes of the preseason, often year to year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Draymond Green: "Why don't all these dumb loving teams just add the second-best player in the league to an already-elite roster?"

Good to have some extra juice for hating the Warriors heading into the season

God Himself Could Not Beat the Warriors Says White Star Line President Draymond Green.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
please add Zhou Qi on the stars to watch list for the Rockets tia

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zoux posted:

*snip*

Kibner come get your mans

It was talked about earlier this morning on Pelican twitter. Basically, they didn't ask the Pels if they plan on using Trump hotels this season. The team responded to questions saying they do not talk about accommodations for security purposes. In the past, the only Trump property the team stayed on was in New York.

Since the Saints aren't staying in one, I think it's a good chance the Pels won't, either, since they have the same owner.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BWV posted:

The book I was talking about is called "the essence of the game is deception" by Leonard Koppett. You used to be able to see it online but I'm not sure where anymore

This link can at least help people find places to purchase/borrow it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/358088.The_essence_of_the_game_is_deception

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NBA players drink alcohol?

Huh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can't tell if your serious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can't tell if your serious.

I momentarily forgot Boris . My apologies .

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
thanks for those good write ups, henchman.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Wow, forgetting Fat Lever in the historic Nuggets players category

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

https://twitter.com/BecksWelker/status/835266361756647424

iirc lebron missed the next game with flulike symptoms :thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Enjoyed those write-ups, thanks Henchman

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/12/16462544/james-harden-chris-paul-rockets-preview-2017

This is a good read in general but the main point is basically Chris Paul and James Harden being able to play off the ball is terrifying.

quote:

Paul has controlled the ball so much in his career, we’ve never really gotten the chance to see how he can perform without it. Statistics suggest he can excel. Through the past four seasons, including the playoffs, Paul shot 45 percent on 371 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, while Harden shot 39.6 percent on 960 attempts, per SportVU

Those spots might be new terrain for both players. “I was telling James, Coach drew up a play for me to, like, come off a screen and shoot tonight,” Paul said after the Rockets beat Shanghai. “I don’t recall that happening for awhile.” The play Paul referenced was ripped straight out of the Warriors playbook.

In the second quarter against the Sharks, D’Antoni sent Paul through the elevator doors, a play the Warriors popularized during the 2013-14 season with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson.

Harden scored in the 95th percentile or higher in cuts, off-screen, and hand-off plays during his final season in Oklahoma City, per Synergy. Now he’s on a better roster with more floor spacing, which should provide easy opportunities for him to make plays for himself or others.

also

quote:

In their four preseason games, the Rockets have taken 55, 52, 46, and 46 shots from downtown. The amounts to 61.6 percent of their total shot attempts. They only cracked 60 percent in an individual game twice all of last season (
More 3s. More.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would include Ricky Rubio and the Sam Cassell Big Balls Dance under historic players to know for the Wolves

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

euphronius posted:

Ty Lawson derailed his career with a drinking problem iirc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I would include Ricky Rubio and the Sam Cassell Big Balls Dance under historic players to know for the Wolves

I almost put Marbury and Szczczczerbiak

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

dangerdoom volvo posted:

whats the point of the preseason? Seems like a ton of games if they dont count for anything

edit a rundown on teams would be great. im trying to figure out you know, who to like. its very arbitrary since i dont have any geographic attachment... thinking about jsut picking the one with the coolest shoes

Listen, let me do you a favor.

Become a 76ers fan. They have been historically bad and now they are one of the most exciting and flat-out fun teams to watch. Joel Embiid is the most likable player in the league. Their crowds are insane (Philly fans have a reputation) and go nuts during games. You can visit easily since they're on the east coast and Philly is an interesting town (see: Rocky). And you'd be getting in on the ground floor of a team that's about to get really good.

But really it's all about Embiid, a 7-2 soccer player from Cameroon who started playing basketball his sophomore year in high school and is the most naturally gifted player since...Wilt? Another 76er.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I'd just like to point out the trail of tears of the Sacramento Kings started in Rochester. It only briefly laid over in Cincinnati.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Henchman of Santa posted:

I almost put Marbury and Szczczczerbiak

Actually, a better Serious Answer would be Joe Smith

It actually hurt to type that

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You guys should actually be populating Dejan's Meet The Team thread and directing new fans that way

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

IcePhoenix posted:

Eddie Griffin needs to be included as well considering he won the lifetime achievement for the Darwin Awards.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Jesus Christ that's bad

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

kiimo posted:

Become a 76ers fan. They have been historically bad and now they are one of the most exciting and flat-out fun teams to watch. Joel Embiid is the most likable player in the league. Their crowds are insane (Philly fans have a reputation) and go nuts during games. You can visit easily since they're on the east coast and Philly is an interesting town (see: Rocky). And you'd be getting in on the ground floor of a team that's about to get really good.

But really it's all about Embiid, a 7-2 soccer player from Cameroon who started playing basketball his sophomore year in high school and is the most naturally gifted player since...Wilt? Another 76er.

We are taking all comers, even if you previously were a doubting non-believer in the Process.

Hinkie Akhbar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why is Tony Allen's twitter handle a pantone color code

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

And get hosed Tracy McGrady

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Are we doing that pre-season prediction poll this year, or have I just missed it?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm finally filling out the SAS survey and it all looks like discussion points more than answers. I got three answers for everything it's too hard.

Rookie WS/PER leader is obviously Jarrett Allen as Simmons and everyone else gets injured and rested a bunch.

It's a dang crazy thing but Nikola Jokic is going to be in the MVP discussions. He's already Hall of Fame bound, gonna be known as the best passing big man in NBA history.
https://www.basketball-reference.co...by=ast_per_poss

but picking WS/PER leader is a real wide field this year. GSW probably spreads it around too much to get any top 5 WS producers, but KD is a perennial top PER guy. Ant Davis holds a bunch of PER-by-Age records, and he could always swing back over thirty, but just like Westbrook and Harden, Davis's production might decline slightly because his team added another top 15 guy. And same again for Butler/Towns, James/Thomas, Seriously, most all of last year's top 10-15 dudes in WS or PER are now paired with another top 10-15 who will likely eat a bunch of their possessions. Exceptions are Gobert, Giannis, Kawhi and Jokic (although Nuggets picked up Millsap), and Lillard if you count him as a top 15 guy, which I don't.

Swing+ teams could be Nets, Nuggets, T'wolves, 76ers, all could have big + wins seasons, or not. I don't see how the Clippers stay 50+ wins, they seem most likely headed for the big decline.

Ahhh I'm so excited for basketball

RCarr posted:

Once you have those down, you can work on learning the more advanced plays:

Spinning and Winning
Posting and Toasting
Swishing and Dishing
Slicing and Dicing
Driving and Thriving
Stopping and Popping

As a matter of fact, just work on repeating these phrases out loud until they are second nature.

wow glaring omission of 'Bounding and Astounding, my outrage begins to percolate

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Don't listen to this man. Don't be a bandwagon hopper and become a 76ers fan right now when they are finally looking like they will be good. You need to suffer at least a little in order to fully enjoy the highs.

I recommend you become a fan of the Miami Heat. They are pretty mediocre right now so nobody will accuse you of bandwagon hopping. But there's always hope because it's easier to attract free agents to Miami where the weather is beautiful and there is no state income tax. And since kiimo mentioned visiting: If you are going to take a road trip in the middle of winter to see an NBA game, do you want to go to a northeastern city, or Miami Beach?

Also they have a really cool logo and the hottest dancers in the business.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

G/V actually stands for Goos and Views

Like every time Embiid breaks wind and not a foot you get a Goo from the Goon chorus.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Which NBA player is the most disappointing to you, personally?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
For me the NBA's most overrated player right now is probably John Wall. A barely top 45ish player shouldn't have a supermax contract.

Mike Conley might be the most underrated, if it's not Jokic. He's right there with Lowry for the league's 4th best PG.

Picking the bottom of either conference is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

NotWearingPants posted:

Also they have a really cool logo and the hottest dancers in the business.

Hah you're confusing the Miami Heat with the Miami Floridians and the Flint Tropics.
if we're still suggesting things for New To NBA Basket folks, Semi-Pro is Will Ferrell's best movie because it's an actually-kinda-true story, in that a lot of the problems the team faces and their solutions are collected from pieces of Terry Pluto's book, Loose Balls

• Locked thread