Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The circlips are spacers for the chassis to xbrace mount to prevent the xbrace from hitting the FCAB. I don't remember the specifics, but there were two different FCAB sizes on the E46.

Toss some RTAB limiters on your list there, they help keep the bushings alive longer and are cheap. Preloading isn't hard with a yardstick or something, but stick with OEM FCAB. Delrin / poly RTABs, not even once. Buy a used MIS tool from eBay or E46F. Draw an outline around your RTAB mount bolts and entire 'foot' before you loosen them. Spraypaint works too, if you're lazy.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Easier fix would be to just buy an M3.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The circlips are spacers for the chassis to xbrace mount to prevent the xbrace from hitting the FCAB. I don't remember the specifics, but there were two different FCAB sizes on the E46.

Toss some RTAB limiters on your list there, they help keep the bushings alive longer and are cheap. Preloading isn't hard with a yardstick or something, but stick with OEM FCAB. Delrin / poly RTABs, not even once. Buy a used MIS tool from eBay or E46F. Draw an outline around your RTAB mount bolts and entire 'foot' before you loosen them. Spraypaint works too, if you're lazy.

Thanks for the info. My car came stock with 66mm FCAB's, so I shouldn't need the circlips - it's only if it came with 60mm ones, which were changed out for all '02 models onwards. Also, 55$ for a piece of plastic for the RTAB limiters? That seems like a ripoff. I'm going to outline the RTAB mounts, but I'm also planning a proper 4 wheel alignment after completing the work.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Easier fix would be to just buy an M3.

Certainly not easier on my wallet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TrueChaos posted:

Thanks for the info. My car came stock with 66mm FCAB's, so I shouldn't need the circlips - it's only if it came with 60mm ones, which were changed out for all '02 models onwards. Also, 55$ for a piece of plastic for the RTAB limiters? That seems like a ripoff. I'm going to outline the RTAB mounts, but I'm also planning a proper 4 wheel alignment after completing the work.

Certainly not easier on my wallet.

Jesus, I think I paid like $20 total from Garagistic or something

e: $35 https://store.garagistic.com/bmw-performance-parts/e46-performance-parts/BMW-E36-E46-Rear-Trailing-Arm-Bushing-RTAB-Limiter-shim-kit

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

50$ limiters with the 20$ bushings is the way to go, unless you hate money like me and spent hundreds on bimmerworld spherical rtabs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I feel that feel.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Posting this to drive BraveUlysses and lightbultout crazy:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/ebmw-318is-runs-amazing-lots/6329967741.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i still think you should buy a 325 but that's probably the best 318 you're going to find under 7k and wont require a ton of work

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Curious what "rebuilt engine" is at this stage, but it looks quite nice.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Plugs and wires. Maybe a valve cover gasket.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

Plugs and wires. Coil-on-plug kit. Maybe a valve cover gasket.

Fixed

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Just the boots between coil and plugs, vacuum hoses and a change to thicker oil I think you mean

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Felt like it had been a while since spotting an E30 M3 on Bring a Trailer as it has been all E36 and E46 cars so I assumed the market had cooled on the OG

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-36/

Nope. It is still very much on fire :kingsley:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
So this Enthusiast Auto Group company sells lemons, sucks the buyer dry in repairs then buys back to sell for profit, rinse and repeat?

quote:

The car has been in the hands of Enthusiast Auto Group on more than one occasion and was last brokered by them in 2014 during the seller’s purchase... The previous owner spent over $10k with EAG including a preventative engine reseal, Samco silicone coolant hoses, drive belts, spark plugs, a timing chain tensioner, new OEM muffler, clutch kit, flex-disc, rear shock mounts, front control arms with new bushings, front brake rotors/pads/sensors, and more. This M3 is now being offered with the prior EAG service receipts, complete records since 2014, a service book back to the pre-delivery and first 1,200 mile inspections
Wish I could find such easy pickings.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 3, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Felt like it had been a while since spotting an E30 M3 on Bring a Trailer as it has been all E36 and E46 cars so I assumed the market had cooled on the OG

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-36/

Nope. It is still very much on fire :kingsley:

Every time I see poo poo like this I remind myself I'm a dumbass for passing on one in the early 2000's for like 10k because it was too expensive.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I sent my first mazda rx3 (cost me $1400) to the wreckers due to all the sill and rocker rust. Fucker would have been worth $80k now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I passed on a 20k mile 308GTSi (metallic green over chocolate brown - only one I've ever seen and it was factory) for $25k Canadian 15 years ago and put the money with my financial advisor instead. That portfolio was worth exactly $0 around 10 years ago. Whoops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Today I got my GDCS replaced at almost 77k because I didn't want to be another one of those guys who posts a picture of coolant all over the ground.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Today I got my GDCS replaced at almost 77k because I didn't want to be another one of those guys who posts a picture of coolant all over the ground.

You're the PO we all want to buy a car from.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
First service appointment for my 7 year old M3 I bought used and... all seems to be in great shape. Very slight valve cover gasket leak is all.

Woot.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

gvibes posted:

Very slight valve cover gasket leak is all.

Ah, so BMW factory spec. :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Guinness posted:

Ah, so BMW factory spec. :v:

It's called "normal seepage"

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

gvibes posted:

First service appointment for my 7 year old M3 I bought used and... all seems to be in great shape. Very slight valve cover gasket leak is all.

Woot.

The ongoing joke is that BMW turboed the new M3 because the E9X was too reliable. For our models we need to watch the DCT transmission gasket as it can start to weep and messed up the mechtronic something or other. Little VCG weeping is no big deal. I would pro-actively stay on top of wiping it off so it stays nice and clean. The engine bay in my car looks impeccable from the PO and I am happy to say after almost 9 months still looks very much the same. I am really going to miss driving this car when the snow starts flying.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I too have a small amount of that VCG weep, my mechanic doesn't find it troubling but will want to fix it eventually, I also mop down the engine bay after every washing so it looks as clean as it did coming out of the factory. I have to add about a half a liter of oil in between changes (not because of the seeping) and that seems to be very common place for the S65.

Ask me about the first time I got the 'Add a liter of oil' warning on the computer, and I stupidly opened the oil filler cap without turning off the engine :downs:

Let's just say I had to go back into the O'Reilly's and buy a bunch of shop rags.

Also y'all should get that Euro MDM coding done, it's single-handedly the best $100 spent on "mods" ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Those oil leaks are just free corrosion prevention.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
does anyone happen to know if a shift assembly from a 1996+ 325i would directly replace one in a 1994 325i? I've read that if I just replace the shifter T for a newer knob, I also have to replace the stalk or cut it. I am taking about just replacing that whole assembly.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
There's a pretty nice looking e63 with 75k miles nearby. Planning to take a look this weekend.

Horror stories? Tips for atypical things to look for?

From what I've read, that generation seems pretty solid.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

There's a pretty nice looking e63 with 75k miles nearby. Planning to take a look this weekend.

Horror stories? Tips for atypical things to look for?

From what I've read, that generation seems pretty solid.

I'm assuming you're in north america because you didn't specify which means it'll be the V8. Valve guide seals is probably the biggest worry. It could be a $3k job.smaller issue would be every gasket leaking like a bastard.

If the engine is warm when you get there and the oil is brand new i would be worried you're being swindled.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Powershift posted:

I'm assuming you're in north america because you didn't specify which means it'll be the V8. Valve guide seals is probably the biggest worry. It could be a $3k job.smaller issue would be every gasket leaking like a bastard.

If the engine is warm when you get there and the oil is brand new i would be worried you're being swindled.

Ah, sorry. It's the V8. Thanks for the heads-up!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Powershift posted:

I always tell people if possible I want the engine to be cold and have been sitting for a few hours. Not always possible, especially if you're meeting at a central location, but it helps weed out shady sellers.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
How bad an idea is it to replace my 2011 328i with a similar vintage 335? I'm in the Toronto area if that makes any difference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know about Toronto, but I went from a 2007 328i to a 2011 135i and I haven't regretted it for a moment.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Finally fitted these spicy little numbers. I’m ready for the ring.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
a) Don't crash
b) Video it with an external mic set up on your back bumper like a true M3 owner

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I used the recommended Raggtopp on my Z4, and it was good-not-great. Can I just use Scotch-Gard? It's like $5 a can instead of $20.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What do you guys use to interface with your reasonably modern BMW? I have a 2009 E89 Z4 w/ the 3.0 engine, no idrive.

I bought an elcom bluetooth OBDII connector which Torque can see read stats out reasonably quickly. I'm looking to program some of the various features in the car and saw that Carly ( http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/ ) appears to do most of it, but there seem to be a lot of upsells on an already $50 app. On top of that, using the Lite version it is saying it can't talk to some of the sub systems using my current one, and I should spend $62 on theirs ( https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0187HPAOS/ ).

Is there a better way forwards?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would recommend Carly but I don't think there's any way to code your car into an M3, so I would advise you buy an M3 and THEN get Carly.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I would recommend Carly but I don't think there's any way to code your car into an M3, so I would advise you buy an M3 and THEN get Carly.

M3 is too impractical, might get tricked into putting the car seat into it. M Clown Shoe on the other hand...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, Carly is actually pretty solid, it's got some weirdness in the UI but if you want to diagnose/code stuff for BMW's, it seems to be the best bet short of paying a shop 6x as much more to do it. There's a few things it cannot do, but I think a 2009 should be pretty open to most of the available tricks you might want to do (my first move with it was turning off the 'do not use this while driving' message on the entertainment/nav system on startup, that locks you out of being able to mute the audio until the message goes away) and that alone made it worth the $60 entry fee, or whatever it was for the plug in dongle + the app combo.)

They give you some sort of $10 or 5 euros off or something if you buy them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Carly is pretty nice. The upsells aren't them trying to squeeze more money out of you, they are features that no everyone wants, but some people did. They created those features and charged the people who want them to save money for the people who don't need to reset their battery, or do the DPF, or NOX. My issue is that the parameters have never worked for me (N55 135), but the torque app pulls all the info out just fine.