Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

imho if you weren't the first to land you have nobody to blame but yourself, gently caress all this other advice.

You're drops r bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Didn't realize the p18c did that little damage compared to the p92. They should be identical.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

New Zealand can eat me posted:

imho if you weren't the first to land you have nobody to blame but yourself, gently caress all this other advice.

You're drops r bad

I agree the drops are bad. I tracked those in the spreadsheet

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I really like your 15th drop of "no fun"

But for real, you are doing something wrong. You had a gun that can easily kill people 12 of those times in a highly populated area, you should be killing people at least half of those times. What do you have your settings at? Are you choppy all the time?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Settings are all on very low. I was not raging when the streak started but people can tilt in different ways.

In terms of choppyness it's hard to tell when you don't have a reference point. I do notice things move slowly when i try to loot. For example if im trying to loot 5 items I have to "reloot" at least two of them because they will snap back to their original spot.

There have been moments where players will just appear out of nowhere and get a shot off before i even see them.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Have you recorded footage of your games? It's easier to see if you hitting missing shots when you play them back outside the heat of the moment.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

daslog posted:

Settings are all on very low. I was not raging when the streak started but people can tilt in different ways.

In terms of choppyness it's hard to tell when you don't have a reference point. I do notice things move slowly when i try to loot. For example if im trying to loot 5 items I have to "reloot" at least two of them because they will snap back to their original spot.

There have been moments where players will just appear out of nowhere and get a shot off before i even see them.

What's your connection like?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

daslog posted:

Settings are all on very low.
Try turning Textures up at least.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

daslog posted:

How quickly do you loot? I used to pick stuff up so quickly I would basically cancel out of it a bunch of times. You have to finish the animation before it actually picks it up. You might need to slow down looting to loot faster.

Get some way to view your FPS in real tome, see whether it’s dropping down to <30 frequently.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
The steam overlay is capable of displaying FPS.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

The steam overlay is capable of displaying FPS.

Also of hogging it. I highly recommend disabling the overlay.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Parallel Playa posted:

Also of hogging it. I highly recommend disabling the overlay.

What? Isn't it just the tiny green number in the bottom left corner? How does that hog FPS?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How quickly do you loot? I used to pick stuff up so quickly I would basically cancel out of it a bunch of times. You have to finish the animation before it actually picks it up. You might need to slow down looting to loot faster.

Get some way to view your FPS in real tome, see whether it’s dropping down to <30 frequently.

This is looting after i press the inventory button, not using the f key.

Any suggestions for free video capture softwaremm

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You still have to wait when using the inventory screen, that threw me off for a long time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Uhh recording is going to drop your already horrible FPS...

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I want to see you play. Come play in discord with squads. I started to get a lot better after dropping with squads and realizing that if you're sprinting from building to building and paying attention to sightlines it's not common to just die if you just keep moving into cover unless the guy has you pegged and is within 50 yards. You don't stop to look or fire back, you don't go prone, you just book it into the nearest cover and only then start to consider your options.

Doubly so if you're on a hill or something and being sniped at. It's really hard to hit a guy who is aware of your presence and moving back and forth and running in different directions, and it still takes several shots unless they get very lucky. Don't go prone, get behind a tree. You'll eat the first shot, but if you take off running in literally any direction the second will probably miss and he might get a third or fourth and by that time you're safe. Sniper gets the first shot free but unless he headshot you he has to hit at least 2 more to take you down.

Breaching is something else entirely. that's just reflexes and FPS and i'm flat awful at it. I'll never win a school or military drop and my kdr isn't even >1.0 but I get plenty of chicken dinners.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 12, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

daslog posted:

Any suggestions for free video capture softwaremm

OBS is pretty much the best, if you have an nVidia card the "Shadowplay" stuff in GeForce Experience is a lot simpler but less capable. I think AMD has something along the same lines.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
What is everyone's longest/best kill? I got a headshot of 390m from the radar hill to the east of the military base. Two guys were fighting it out in the small town near the bridge and i took aim at one guy crouching behind a car and zapped him with a kar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wolrah posted:

OBS is pretty much the best, if you have an nVidia card the "Shadowplay" stuff in GeForce Experience is a lot simpler but less capable. I think AMD has something along the same lines.

Just use Shadowplay if your card supports it. You can set PUBG to automatically save kills and deaths, which is perfect for this.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I use shadowplay but not that feature, if I drop school or something and kill 5 guys then die in the course of a minute, does that mean I have 6 ~5 second clips in my videos folder?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cimber posted:

What is everyone's longest/best kill? I had a headshot from 390m that I am most proud of. Kar sitting on the radar dome hill east of the military base. Two guys were fighting it out in the small town near the bridge and i took aim at one guy crouching behind a car and zapped him.

Plinking at a full squad at 400+ (had to aim slightly high while zeroed at 400, not estimating). They were in the middle of a field trying to take an airdrop. I had a Mini 14 with 8x. Dropped one because he was in front of the drop from my perspective, dropped another two as they tried to revive him. Including hitting them when just their butt or half of their body was sticking out of cover. The fourth ran right when someone came up on us so he got away. Mini 14 is insanely good, adjusting zero is really good. Do it.

Stats say my longest is 500 meters.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

My longest is 487m. From season 3. Probably a K98, unzeroed. I thought I made a clip of it, but I guess not.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tweak posted:

I use shadowplay but not that feature, if I drop school or something and kill 5 guys then die in the course of a minute, does that mean I have 6 ~5 second clips in my videos folder?

Nah it's smarter than that, although I don't know exactly what the cutoff is before it cuts kills up.

You can set the amount of space on your drive the temporary clips take up, too. It won't permanently save clips unless you opt to save them at the end of the game.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What? Isn't it just the tiny green number in the bottom left corner? How does that hog FPS?

It's not just the counter, the overlay has many more features (including but not limited to a browser and broadcasting etc.) and it does drain FPS significantly - at least on average or slightly above average builds.

Cimber posted:

What is everyone's longest/best kill? I got a headshot of 390m from the radar hill to the east of the military base. Two guys were fighting it out in the small town near the bridge and i took aim at one guy crouching behind a car and zapped him with a kar.

903m :smug:

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 12, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So do i need to dig up my old fraps exe?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

So do i need to dig up my old fraps exe?

Use plays.tv, OBS, or Shadowplay. Anything else is going to have a bigger impact on performance or is dogshit in light of better alternatives (looking at you, Xsplit)

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It's esports ready https://clips.twitch.tv/ArbitraryEasyNewtBCouch

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Longest kill is calculated in the worst way possible. It's calculated by where your enemy finally dies, not where he was downed. If you down someone, then drive away and he bleeds out, you can get like a 1.5km kill, even though enemies won't render past 1km. So, in Duo and Squad its not a particularly accurate metric.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Longest kill is calculated in the worst way possible. It's calculated by where your enemy finally dies, not where he was downed. If you down someone, then drive away and he bleeds out, you can get like a 1.5km kill, even though enemies won't render past 1km. So, in Duo and Squad its not a particularly accurate metric.

Just waiting to hit someone with a car near the power plant, having it bug out and send them flying all the way to Zharki and get a real nice long range kill.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

I've got the first 2 already covered, but I think the 3d printed arms might work. I tend to play very aggressive and that doesn't seem to work in PUBG and my parachutes were really bad last night.

Parachuting advice:

Pick a spot on the minimap you want to drop nearish to the path of the plane and mark it with right click. Stare down the wingspan of the plane, you camrea should be oriented perpendicular to the flight path if aimed along the wings. Now wait for the marked spot to cross the centerpoint of the compass at the top of your sceen and hit F when it does. This ensures you have the shortest drop distance to your target.

Immediately after dropping hold down the W key and aim your camrea straight up at the sky as far as you can. Keep holding W and dont let go. You can hold alt and peek around to see if you have any company.

Watch your minimap. When your selected point is a grid or two outside your minimap range quickly point your camrea straight down as far as you loving can, watch your altimeter in the lower left Still holding W? When the altimeter gets a few pixels before the automatic chute pull let off the W key, if you time it correctly you complete the animation from quick fall to regular fall right before he pulls the chute, and for some reason this carries your momentum into the chute pull animation and makes for a speedier drop.

Once the chute is open hold W again all the way down and manuver yourself close to a looting spot. Avoid trees, or narrow spaces between buildings. Get to the ground, get in a building, get a gun.

I use this technique all the time and I drop on front of everybody 95% of the time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I never knew about letting go of W, thanks. I also have a hard time judging my distance sometimes. 90% of the time I hit, but sometimes I fall 50-100m short.

How does the wiggle work? Do you need to hit S, or just on and off W?

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Premature posted:

Thanks goons for the 3/4 chicken dinners and a second place, our team was ruining the NA servers no less.

Here it is as promised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CqQKt4a3YY

^ tap w, no s needed

Astarath fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 12, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I never knew about letting go of W, thanks. I also have a hard time judging my distance sometimes. 90% of the time I hit, but sometimes I fall 50-100m short.4

How does the wiggle work? Do you need to hit S, or just on and off W?

The wiggle is a bunch of horseshit. Hold w to get to the ground fastest. You *do* travel faster in a parachute than on foot so you can adjust a bit, but if you got everything right from the get go you shouldn't have to let up. Its better to overshoot your target and chute to the ground, curling back around than it is to undershoot and have to run

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The wiggle isn't faster, it's for traveling further

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Re: the wiggle, 45 speed seems to be the best speed for distance so just mash w at a rate that keeps you about that speed

Going to try that chute trick, all I know is you'll get extra drop if you're going 234 (max speed) on pop so you need to fly over then start facing down long before the pop to build up speed

e:234

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 13, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sorry I should reiterate, you shouldn't need to wiggle if you are on target. Wiggle if you need the distance, but i no longer drop in far areas so different strokes for different folks I guess

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

daslog posted:

When you're looting by looking at something and hitting F, if you move out of pick-up range too quickly it will not get added to your inventory even though the little pickup animation played, you should hear a sound when picking something up which iirc is confirmation it was added to your inventory. Also get used to looting by hitting tab and dragging stuff into your inventory, it is faster even for single items, is harder to have you interrupt by moving away from something, and you can pick up a ton of things in rapid succession, much much faster than is possible by picking stuff up outside of the menu.

If you're having framerate problems, put "-sm4" into the launch options(right click game in your steam list > properties) and put the antialiasing on ultra.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You don't have to drag stuff anymore, it's the same speed as clicking. Only do it for gun parts you want to place on a gun you're holding.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

please summarize what this game is for the busy professional who keeps seeing people say pupg on twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Maya Fey posted:

please summarize what this game is for the busy professional who keeps seeing people say pupg on twitter

a hundred people drop from a plane on to a big map and find equipment with which to kill each other and work to be the last one standing as poison gas closes in on the play area from the outside

• Locked thread