Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
[quote="“Quantum of Phallus”" post="“477310064”"]
You don’t need to connect your phone to put music on Apple Music. Just bring it into iTunes and it’ll be in your iCloud music library on your phone. I do this all the time.
[/quote]

I appreciate that but I really, really don't like how Apple matches my music. Sometimes it'll be missing a random song, sometimes the titles are loving up or something. I don't even want to open itunes or anything. I download poo poo remotely, Google Play watches my Downloads folder, and it all uploads without me having to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about iTunes Match which is something you pay for.

No I'm not. I pay for Apple Music.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

talk to the audio hardware driver directly by sending it a bitstream, usually people want this for low latency in real time music applications, sometimes it gets around weird bugs when trying to stream your flawless 91241238524 bit way-past-human-hearing kHz sampling rate files to a dedicated soundcard

on Windows, basically skips DirectSound layer

And this for just listening to music that you’re gonna put on an iPhone? I changed my mind, dude should get a Pono not an Android. And maybe cut down on his $10,000 cable budget.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Arivia posted:

And this for just listening to music that you’re gonna put on an iPhone? I changed my mind, dude should get a Pono not an Android. And maybe cut down on his $10,000 cable budget.

Oversampled FLAC library with foobar2k as a player is a staple in the audiophile world. It makes sense purity wise. You capture the best digital representation of the signal that you can and stream that directly to dedicated audio hardware. IMO it’s overkill but I kinda get it. I’m a purist with photos in a similar way (why yes I want to shoot stupid candid photos in RAW).

On the phone though I’d just transcode to high quality VBR and call it a day, if I had such a library.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Pivo posted:

IMO it’s overkill but I kinda get it. I’m a purist with photos in a similar way (why yes I want to shoot stupid candid photos in RAW).

Nah, this behavior in the audiophile realm is super dumb. You shoot RAW because that means if you don't like the shot you can change it more easily because you didn't throw out extra data like if you'd shot JPG.

You're a content creator, but audiophiles are content consumers. A content creator can almost never have enough data fidelity, whereas content consumers will often sink to unthinkable depths in quality to get access to the content they want.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Your audio options on a 7 are:
3.5mm through a dongle. That has the DAC in it, and is probably on par with every very low end DAC*.
Bluetooth without Apt X or LDAC.

On neither solution can you possibly discern flac vs mp3@320

Just use Google Play music. It'll match most your music the same way Apple music does. 100Gb of lossless music is not a lot of actual songs and won't take all that long.

* - this is absolutely fine of course, but there's no convincing audiophiles they can hear any less than every byte of audio.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

bobfather posted:

You're a content creator

... yes...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

That level of purity (read: bullshit) is about as close to fundamentally incompatible with the modern smartphone experience as you can get.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All this talk of meticulously organizing media libraries and syncing stuff through iTunes and having to worry about iTunes messing up your specific organization is giving me PTSD.

I'm soooooooooo loving glad I switched to Spotify almost a year ago. Now I don't ever have to worry about organizing or iTunes or any of that poo poo anymore.

Hell, now that I have Spotify and OTA updates and Google Docs for documents and such, I can't think of a reason I would need to plug my phone into my PC anymore and that makes me so happy and relieved.

Even when I got into the iOS 11 beta, I don't think I connected to my PC once. It was all done through the phone.

The iPhone is finally a fully wireless standalone device for me and that owns.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I used to have like 200 gigs of music carefully edited and logged etc. gently caress that. 100% Apple Music now. Anything else I get through YouTube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't organize iTunes. On the rare occasion I get something elsewhere, I just stick it in the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder on my Mac and then it's on my iPhone shortly thereafter. But I guess if you want to carefully janitor your music bits, that's your business.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pivo posted:

we all have stockholm syndrome because some of us have had to deal with iTunes for over a decade. 14 years, for me.

with WiFi Sync i mostly don't have to think about it anymore, just add files to the library and they wind up on my phone eventually.

:lol: at the idea of Wifi sync working reliably. Or at all. Pretty sure it's worked like 3 times for me since it's been a thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: at the idea of Wifi sync working reliably. Or at all. Pretty sure it's worked like 3 times for me since it's been a thing.

I remember having to turn to other WiFi sync solutions, I think that was back when I was still jailbreaking poo poo. And even then I only did it for the "wow that's cool haha" factor.

Otherwise, I haven't ever connected my phone to iTunes. Streaming is the way for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had wifi sync enabled for four years or however long it's been "available" and never had a sync actually trigger. Shittiest non feature ever that we don't even need anymore.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I love spotify I can't imagine manually handling an audio file. That being said I've been getting bummed out over tracks being pulled from spotify more and more lately.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Arivia posted:

I fully understand the quality loss that listening on a mobile device occurs. Also I don't have $10,000 cables because that's stupid, but I do have a dedicated DAC and good monitor speakers. This is a fairly standard setup for anyone who's really into music. In any case, you don't have to be an rear end about it.

Thanks for the actual recommendations from the other half of the thread, will check Waltr out.

Oh and last but not least, if assholes like me wander in every so often to ask about what I did, maybe it'd be worth it to put it in the OP, as is customary on The Something Awful forums.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Mine works, but it has a mind of its own. If I don't trigger it manually, it does EVENTUALLY do it itself ... but seemingly randomly.

It isn't particularly reliable though, no.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Furism posted:

Definitively not forever but it's good to know. Thanks.

No, it’s always had this option. I’ve owned a Mac and used iTunes since its inception. “Manage My Music” is the default behavior and was always an option to deselect that and drag your music into iTunes retaining your folder structure. How do I know? Because I did it this way for many many years until I realized it was pointless to care.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

You're not paying $10/month for music, you're paying that much for the joy of never having to worry about music collections again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I enjoy sperging over my music collection.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just do like I do and pay your monthly credit card bill by buying Spotify gift cards for yourself! Mine's paid up through January :shepface:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Capital One credit card + Spotify Student account = Spotify Premium for $2.50 per month.

I mean, don't sign up for a Cap One credit card to save $30 a year, but I had an old HSBC card that became a Cap One card, so obviously I'm going to take advantage!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

bobfather posted:

Capital One credit card + Spotify Student account = Spotify Premium for $2.50 per month.

I mean, don't sign up for a Cap One credit card to save $30 a year, but I had an old HSBC card that became a Cap One card, so obviously I'm going to take advantage!

Spotify doesn't go full ham like Apple does when it comes to checking student status, do they? I've got a lifetime .edu address, but Apple uses some poo poo service that actively polls your school per semester to confirm you're still a student.

Edit: yea, they do something similar, and my Capital One card isn't Quicksilver. gently caress me!

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 12, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Spotify doesn't go full ham like Apple does when it comes to checking student status, do they? I've got a lifetime .edu address, but Apple uses some poo poo service that actively polls your school per semester to confirm you're still a student.

Edit: yea, they do something similar, and my Capital One card isn't Quicksilver. gently caress me!

I think everyone does that now. The era of using our alumni addresses to get cheap poo poo in perpetuity is over.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hop into the SA Mart thread for spotify families and pay the same amount.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are there advantages of Apple Music over Spotify? I like Spotify’s interface and availability in any browser a lot. The discover weekly thing is real good too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

IMO Apple Music integrates better in iOS.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Anything other than Siri interaction?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like it better how AM streaming stuff can appear alongside my own music, but IME Spotify does a better job of recommending stuff that I like.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lol @ the idea of apple music and iTunes actually working in anywhere near a consistent or helpful fashion if you own a windows computer.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anybody buy an iPhone 8 online recently? How accurate was the delivery window?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Anybody buy an iPhone 8 online recently? How accurate was the delivery window?

It was delivered by UPS so the whole process was a shitshow. Friday they were supposed to attempt delivery but UPS doesn’t bother with residential deliveries until all the business ones are done so they didn’t even attempt it. Then it was the weekend. Monday they snuck up and slapped a “you’re not home” notice without even attempting to buzz my apartment. Tuesday I was able to go to the UPS store and pick it up.

I could have paid for their premium service so I could request pickup at the UPS store on the Friday. If you don’t pay the ransom fee you have to wait for them to attempt what they call delivery before you can request in store pickup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This might seem like such a dumb thing but wireless charging really is worth the price of admission going from a 7+ to an 8+. It’s just so drat convenient.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

This might seem like such a dumb thing but wireless charging really is worth the price of admission going from a 7+ to an 8+. It’s just so drat convenient.

Everyone I tell this to thinks I'm being ridiculous and tries to be cute by showing me how hard it is to plug in a cable. I don't think you get it until you actually use it daily.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Anyone want to hype their wireless charger of choice? I’ve been eyeing a bunch but couldn’t decide on what to get.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

iOS 11 bad. My 6s keeps freezing and turning into a furnace.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are there advantages of Apple Music over Spotify? I like Spotify’s interface and availability in any browser a lot. The discover weekly thing is real good too.

It'll let you upload your own music (for me this is days worth of mixtapes) and stream it to any device with your Apple ID.
This is different from Spotify where you have to actually sync your own music files to any device you want to listen on (ie if I wanted to listen to some mixtapes on my phone, with Spotify I have to first sync to Spotify and then download to my phone on the same WiFi network. With Apple Music I can just stream it)

The recommendations and playlists in Spotify are infinitely superior and it works on pretty much every device in the world.

There's pros and cons to both.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wireless charging update: owns

Yeah, don’t think I can go back. I used to be the “forget to plug in at night” kinda person and barely keep it above 30% throughout the day constantly going in ‘n out. “Ay bro you got your iPhone charger on you today”

I made some effort posts about my experience with wireless charging it in this thread if anyone cares. But the little circular Samsung qi standing one is still working great

I’m still waiting for more car solutions to roll out for wireless charging

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Dugong posted:

iOS 11 bad. My 6s keeps freezing and turning into a furnace.

Well that makes no thermodynamic sense :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
AirPod update—listened to a bass heavy album and ugh yeah there’s definitely some artificial bass boost going on, more than my EarPods have.

Oddly enough, if I place my finger over the top microphone, the bass gets reduced a significant amount. Like, it disappears completely. What’s going on there? Do the AirPods change the equalization of the music based on the ambient environment?