Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

My first flight was in the mid 80s from BDL to IND via Presidential Airways. It was probably in a 737 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Buttcoin purse posted:

What? You can go in there? gently caress! :argh: :negative: :suicide:

To be fair I really want to see all the equipment running so I'm better off finding a YouTube video, maybe in a few decades when it's all really obsolete.

Only on special occasions, like this was for memorial day when they had docents hosting aircraft tours. But they've got extra lighting installed for tours so it obviously wasn't a one time thing.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
When I was a kid my sister and me used to fly unaccompanied a lot, and every single time I asked to be taken to the cockpit. I amassed a pretty good collection of free plane stuff - postcards, badges, foot long models of the plane, that kind of thing. I suspect the pilot was liberating the stuff we were given from the in flight shop, in hindsight. It was cool as gently caress though.

Nothing interesting planes wise though, just BA and BM 737s, 757s, maybe the odd 767 I guess.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was going through some photos to try and find one of me as a toddler on a BAE 146 in the 80's, which I think I've posted here before. I couldn't find that, but I did find a neat picture of the back end of the early model E-2 that's on display at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego.

The current E-2s (not the D model) look very similar. I've only seen the E-2D from outside so far.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

First I remember, forget airline, November 7, 1995, 737-200 JAX-BOS with a stop at BWI

Next was United 737-3 or 400, BOS-IAD, then a United 737-200 back

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Now I'm sad. I never got wings or any of the souvenirs that people say you could get at the cockpit back then.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

the return of

BY OVERWHELMING DEMAND

What's broken in Gander, NL, Canada RIGHT NOW.jpg!

An RAF....(checks wikipedia) RC-135 Rivet Joint SIGINT aircraft. I was speaking to the head commissionaire around here, and he said that it had hydraulic problems, which ordinarily wouldn`t be hard to fix...but given the aircraft`s intelligence role, it has to be a RAF mechanic, and I`m guessing most of those took jobs in Dubai or similar, as it`s been a week so far.

May or may not be related: a private jet belonging to the Spanish AF(?) came in last night.

Videos:
USAF KC-135 tries a crosswind landing, fails
old footage of the last of the DC-8s[at Gander]
Antonov-12BK
Larger, cleaner burning Antonov

To contribute to 747-chat:
Two 747 cargo honkies

e: this is a treat:There's apparently one An-22 still flying, and it's doing commercial cargo.
e2: view of the landing from the glass nose

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 12, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zemyla posted:

Now I'm sad. I never got wings or any of the souvenirs that people say you could get at the cockpit back then.

Look on the bright side.. you are probably a lot younger than most of us that got those plastic wings! The airline I got my plastic wings from stopped operations in 1980 (was bought out).

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

NATO reporting name "Cock"

:awesome:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
My first flight (which I was too young to remember) was on a Monarch (RIP) Airbus A300 in early 1988:

The first flight I can remember was in a Dan Air BAe 146 (double retro whammy!):

The only flight I've been able to get 'flight deck' time on was in about 1999 in the right-hand seat of the Isle of Scilly Skybus B-N Islander!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

My very first flight was when I was only a few months old, on an absolutely brand spanking-new Air Canada 767-200 from Edmonton to Toronto. The first flight I actually remember being on was a couple of years later, going Calgary-Winnipeg-Toronto in the very back row of an Air Canada 727. I think my ears are still ringing to this day from it.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
First flight I was old enough to remember was a British Caledonian TriStar, Birmingham to somewhere in Portugal, including obligatory cockpit visit. Phone posting but BCal had a sweet livery.
Third flight was a joyride in a Jetranger that my rich uncle paid for, no-one at school believed me.

Nebakenezzer posted:

but given the aircraft`s intelligence role, it has to be a RAF mechanic, and I`m guessing most of those took jobs in Dubai or similar, as it`s been a week so far.
More likely working for BAE in Saudi earning three times what the RAF paid.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
The other day I was thinking about 747-8 being used to replace the VC-25 and I concluded that some knob would get hung up on the wings being to graceful to properly project the power of the office or some poo poo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

inkjet_lakes posted:

Third flight was a joyride in a Jetranger that my rich uncle paid for, no-one at school believed me.

Was it your uncle that worked @ Nintendo?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BalloonFish posted:

My first flight (which I was too young to remember) was on a Monarch (RIP) Airbus A300 in early 1988:

Now that is livery.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PittTheElder posted:

Now that is livery.

For when you want your airline to look like a city bus

For when you don't, there's Hekla Aurora-

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

PittTheElder posted:

Now that is livery.

It's good apart from the twiddly M on the tail.

a patagonian cavy posted:

For when you don't, there's Hekla Aurora-

Galaxy Print Leggings 💖

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Pretty sure it was Piedmont for me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It was an ultralight for me. Then some airliner, I dunno.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

She definitely was a "legacy" stewardess, but the service was impeccable.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The rest of the plane might look ungainly, but from above, the wing on an A380 is a thing of beauty.

correct opinion

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Randomass question of the day: we all know it's easier to go fast higher up, but at cruise throttle settings, how fast could a typical airliner go if they flew at an altitude that did not require pressurization of the cabin?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Depends on the model, but 340kts is about right for 737s/A32xs. Heavies maybe 20kts faster.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Inacio posted:

Randomass question of the day: we all know it's easier to go fast higher up, but at cruise throttle settings, how fast could a typical airliner go if they flew at an altitude that did not require pressurization of the cabin?

Do you mean "at an altitude where pressurization is not required because the atmosphere is dense enough you can breathe normally" or "at the highest reachable altitude for that aircraft, with no requirement that the aircraft be able to be pressurized at that altitude?"

If it's the second, I'm not certain, but I believe the limiting factor in service ceiling for most airliners is engine and aircraft performance, not cabin pressurization.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Inacio posted:

I don't think they're typically speed limited at lower altitudes, they just burn a shitload more fuel. In fact since the speed of sound is slower in less dense air, you're more likely to approach your Mach limit at cruising altitude than at 8000'.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BalloonFish posted:

I like to look up some of the airlines people mention here, if I've never heard of them. Turns out Monarch just ceased operations last week.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Hey guys, should we paint the orange stripe so that the windows are centred in it and it doesn't look like poo poo?"

"Nah, gently caress it."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tu-95 "Bear"
MiG-15 "Fagot"
MiG-23 "Flogger"
Il-40 "Brawny"
An-22 "Cock"
Ka-25 "Hormone"
Yak-30 "Magnum"
SA-21 "Growler"
SS-17 "Spanker"
AT-1 "Snapper"

:bigtran:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I do short haul trips all over Europe for work and getting dumped on a Monarch flight was always a good way to ruin a day. I'd rather fly on Ryan Air.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Sagebrush posted:

Tu-95 "Bear"
MiG-15 "Fagot"
MiG-23 "Flogger"
Il-40 "Brawny"
An-22 "Cock"
Ka-25 "Hormone"
Yak-30 "Magnum"
SA-21 "Growler"
SS-17 "Spanker"
AT-1 "Snapper"

:bigtran:

Seeing it laid out like that, it has to be intentional. Only question is, intel analyst prank or dumb CIA psy-op?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
My first airline trip was Little Rock to Baltimore to Frankfurt when I joined the USAF in 2004. I don't remember what plane the LIT->BWI leg was on, but the BWI->FRA leg (technically, to Rhein-Main Air Base - not long before it closed down) was an AMC chartered flight on an L-1011, I'm guessing with ATA. Pretty sure I used to see them come into Ramstein every so often too. Along with other neat stuff like those commercial C-130s.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My first flight was on a Continental 727. Upgraded to first class, even. I was 10 or 11.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

PT6A posted:

Do you mean "at an altitude where pressurization is not required because the atmosphere is dense enough you can breathe normally" or "at the highest reachable altitude for that aircraft, with no requirement that the aircraft be able to be pressurized at that altitude?"

If it's the second, I'm not certain, but I believe the limiting factor in service ceiling for most airliners is engine and aircraft performance, not cabin pressurization.

I meant the first, sorry.

Finger Prince posted:

I don't think they're typically speed limited at lower altitudes, they just burn a shitload more fuel. In fact since the speed of sound is slower in less dense air, you're more likely to approach your Mach limit at cruising altitude than at 8000'.

I imagined that efficiency would be a problem, but

MrYenko posted:

Depends on the model, but 340kts is about right for 737s/A32xs. Heavies maybe 20kts faster.

suggests speeds would be much slower.

All of this because I work under the finals path of an airport and I wondered how hecking cool an airliner going at Mach 0.8 would look at a height where you can see rivets in its belly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

After a bit more googling, an A32x structural never exceed speed is 381kts. Roughly.

Maximum Mach is .82. Again, roughly: these were not sourced from Airbus.

I’ll let someone who uses words better than I give the detailed explanation. Short version, you would sure as hell know the difference between an A320 at 180kts on final and one doing 320kts at the same altitude.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Finger Prince posted:

Well actually, for an ideal gas (e.g., air) the speed of sound is purely a function of temperature--the density is irrelevant--the reason Mach numbers are higher for the same true airspeed at higher altitudes is simply because it's colder up there.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

AzureSkys posted:

My first plane ride was at the age of 7 in a Cessna 172 that belonged to the son my dad's boss. My dad worked for Flying J truck stops and traveled a bunch on business aircraft, so I often got to go inside and look around before he'd depart. He flew with Jay Call, the founder of the company, a lot, too and I was told I'd get a ride with him sometime but my dad left the company not long later. Years later, Jay crashed in his Citation. http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/flying-j-founder-killed-in-plane-crash/article_d2605ecc-7232-5697-bcdd-4eafeaee3c07.html

My dad had recently got back in contact with him just before that happened looking to maybe working together again, so he took it pretty hard.

My 2nd flight was in a Cap-10B with Bob Heale, an aerobatic pilot who performed in airshows in the area. He was a friend of a family friend who was also a pilot. Bob offered him a ride, but he felt too elderly to go and knew my love of planes so I got to go instead. We did loops, rolls, hammerheads, and all sorts of stuff. I was thrilled, but not the best with motion sickness so we landed when I started to feel ill.

A few years later he crashed at an airshow in that same plane. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/sep/16/pilot-dies-after-fairchild-air-show-crash-i-got-a/. It's eerie to look at the few pictures I have of me buckling in just before we took off.

:stare: brb going to change your forums name to FINAL DESTINATION

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tetraptous posted:

Well actually, for an ideal gas (e.g., air) the speed of sound is purely a function of temperature--the density is irrelevant--the reason Mach numbers are higher for the same true airspeed at higher altitudes is simply because it's colder up there.

Lemme guess, Pats fan? ;)
You're right of course, one of those things the brain forgets so it fills in the missing info with the wrong stuff.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Seeing it laid out like that, it has to be intentional. Only question is, intel analyst prank or dumb CIA psy-op?

Having spoken to a few guys (both active and retired, from both the ASCC and more current ASIC) in the department(s) that cooperate with NATO intelligence agencies to come up with those reporting names, I can say that most of the names are decided upon due to easy phonetic pronunciation (hence the fact they're all one or two syllables, max - even longer ones like Blackjack and Foxhound)...

...but I can also say those particular department(s) are largely joyless places mired in international bureaucracy and they take mirth and pleasure where they can get it. So to answer your question...a bit of both, and neither.

Kind of related, but an *amazing* article (not sure if it's been linked here or in the Airpower thread): https://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/though-a-glass-darkly-bill-sweetman-technically-speaking-column-180957300/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can say that most of the names are decided upon due to easy phonetic pronunciation (hence the fact they're all one or two syllables, max - even longer ones like Blackjack and Foxhound)

There is a logic to it, actually

Fighters get words starting with "F"
B for bombers
C for cargo
M for miscellaneous
H for helicopters

One-syllable names, e.g. "Bear", "Frank" are prop-driven, while two-syllable names like "Coaler" or "Fishbed" are jet-powered. Doesn't apply to helicopters obviously.

And for weaponry:
A for air-to-air missiles
G for ground-to-air missiles
S for surface-to-surface missiles
K for anti-ship missiles, because the Russians initially classified these missiles with an X, for eXperimental, but the cyrillic X is transliterated as Kh, and NATO picked that because what would an international standard be without one batshit out-of-nowhere spec that doesn't follow any of the logic

Anyway, yeah, it's meant to reduce confusion. Even if you don't know exactly what it means when the radio is screaming that a Backfire has shot a Kitchen at you, you can understand that a jet-powered bomber has launched an anti-ship missile and take the appropriate actions.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 13, 2017