Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

just ride the robo horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

just ride the robo horse
That makes the same problem as horse riding in any game though: you’re probably riding into unforeseen trouble and when it hits, the horse will probably just be in the way, if for no reason other than it takes time and the right conditions for the dismounting animation to work.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After playing Horizon I found the bow mechanics in Rise of the Tomb Raider to be rather lackluster actually

After playing Rise of the Tomb Raider I found Rise of the Tomb Raider to be really lackluster.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Horseback fighting is my least favorite thing about Witcher 3, and I'm glad Skellege has little of it. It is frustrating how often horse riding in videogames is weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it does not translate very well into games. I guess it is thematically cool enough that we just deal with it. A medieval/old west guy running around without a horse looks like kind of a dork.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most videogames implement them as horse-shaped motorcycles, the one game that made it closer to real horse riding (Shadow of the Colossus) always gets poo poo on because the horse sometimes won't do exactly what you say the moment you say it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Red Dead Redemption did alright with its horses, meaning they steered marginally better than any car in GTA4 did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's always cool getting a horse to ride around in a thematically appropriate game, but I can't think of a time that horse combat has been fun. Playing BF1 lately and woof. I can't kill poo poo on a horse and I just avoid them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it was fine in red dead, or at least in my memory it was

the combat in the witcher is already wonky and the added layer of riding a horse does not help things

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I thought it worked well in RDR because you had bullet time and your horse would usually automatically follow trails and poo poo which made riding and shooting that much easier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It was still a little tough shooting off the horse in RDR unless you used dead eye or whatever, then it was baller. When you managed to clip some mook with a single revolver shot while riding by it felt good as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah if anything it was fine in RDR because of the bullet time and lock on, but at the same time it's sort of a cop out because it's not like they figured out a way to make horse combat fun, they just stopped everything from moving and eliminated your need to aim. Which is perfectly cool and good, but it's not like they cracked the code or anything.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

horse combat in metal gear solid v: the phantom pain was great. shooting rockets from the back of horses as was intended

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I thought about mgsv but honestly don't think I ever actually used d-horse unless I was forced to

maybe in that one mission where you have to destroy a bunch of moving vehicles but idk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought about mgsv but honestly don't think I ever actually used d-horse unless I was forced to

maybe in that one mission where you have to destroy a bunch of moving vehicles but idk

You shouldn't be destroying vehicles anyway.

You should be stealing them with Cargo Fultons.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd be surprised if many people had that option the first time they did that mission. it's really early on

e: tho the best way to do that is to block the road with your own vehicle and hide in a bush until they get stuck in a traffic jam :v:

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 13, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

rabidsquid posted:

horse combat in metal gear solid v: the phantom pain was great. shooting rockets from the back of horses as was intended

Yeah d horse owned. MGSV is such a joy to play, it's such a shame the gameplay is lumped in with a lacklustre overall experience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JBP posted:

Yeah d horse owned. MGSV is such a joy to play, it's such a shame the gameplay is lumped in with a lacklustre overall experience.

Just don't use the Knock call when you're not playing as Venom Snake. It's something you will never ever even consider doing twice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah if anything it was fine in RDR because of the bullet time and lock on, but at the same time it's sort of a cop out because it's not like they figured out a way to make horse combat fun, they just stopped everything from moving and eliminated your need to aim. Which is perfectly cool and good, but it's not like they cracked the code or anything.

I don't know what you want out of horse combat, then.

Guess what, riding at shooting at the same time is hard. Shooting accurately is a joke. This is accurately represented by the non-bullettime horse shooting in RDR. If you want fighting on horsback to be badass and fun instead of "realistic", there's bullettime and lockon.

I just don't understand what you're envisioning as "fun horse combat".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s easy in movies and that’s the basis for the action in most games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't know what you want out of horse combat, then.

Guess what, riding at shooting at the same time is hard. Shooting accurately is a joke. This is accurately represented by the non-bullettime horse shooting in RDR. If you want fighting on horsback to be badass and fun instead of "realistic", there's bullettime and lockon.

I just don't understand what you're envisioning as "fun horse combat".

I'm not envisioning anything. I'm just reinstating that making good horse combat seems hard. No need to turn it into an argument man.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just don't use the Knock call when you're not playing as Venom Snake. It's something you will never ever even consider doing twice.

absolutely do this, actually

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s easy in movies and that’s the basis for the action in most games.

Yes, and I don't know how you would mechanically implement that without lockon and bullet time. I don't see how those are crutches or cop-outs. Those are the mechanisms by which you get to feel like a character in an action movie.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they should call it horse time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not envisioning anything. I'm just reinstating that making good horse combat seems hard. No need to turn it into an argument man.

Oh, I agree. I think the big hurdle is good horse movement, which has been done very few times, but was in RDR.

Edit: speaking of control feel... God I hate 3rd person aiming so much in Fortnite. I really enjoy the battle royale concept so far, but I basically feel like I can't hit the broad side of a barn, and it's got a really frustrating gun-feel.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 13, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RDR was pretty good horse fighting. It's more that when you want to hit a man with a sword from your horse it always sucks, but I haven't the faintest idea on how you could make it better without putting the horse on rails.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Like I said though, for me the major issue is the jankiness of getting on and off horses. In every game that has horses I have at least a few times died because push the button to get on or off a horse and the game is like lol nope gonna kill you instead.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I did win the horseback sword and crossbow race thing in TW3: Blood and Wine but I'm still not sure how

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like I said though, for me the major issue is the jankiness of getting on and off horses. In every game that has horses I have at least a few times died because push the button to get on or off a horse and the game is like lol nope gonna kill you instead.

That's fair.

I do feel like RDR was the only game to be remotely close to doing this well, and it was still janky.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

Mounting a horse and being launched into low orbit at mach 4 is one of the best things about games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That minigame where you have to hit the balloons on horseback in the new Zelda was my personal hell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snak posted:

That's fair.

I do feel like RDR was the only game to be remotely close to doing this well, and it was still janky.

Battlefield 1 has decent horse maneuvering manurevering while in motion, does a lot of automatic "gonna just step smoothly over this cinder block/sandbag instead of screeching to a halt" stuff.

Insofar as I've experienced, MGSV is all right too, but also mainly in the motion of it, because I'm not thrilled about the 5-second cutscene every time you hop on the horse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

Thats the phantom pain. 10/10.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
BF1 horse mechanics are probably the best I've played. RDR was good, but also had way too many weird hiccups where the horse wouldn't do what you wanted it to.

Shooting from horseback will never be easy or fun, which is why I'm so glad BF1 added a cavalry sword. poo poo is bananas how powerful and accurate it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Snak posted:

That's fair.

Also, the animation activates, but it’s slow and you take damage while it’s happening so when you arrive in your final position on or off the horse, you’re dead.

See also: ladder animations. Your character can run 60mph endlessly and swing a giant sword three times a second forever, but gets on and off ladders and goes up/down them slower than a normal person.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This problem has already been solved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb97Ahy0NNg

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Come to think of it I've yet to play a game where I get on a horse and think "yeah, this is awesome and not annoying to control at all."

I don't know how Mike Pence does it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

Come to think of it I've yet to play a game where I get on a horse and think "yeah, this is awesome and not annoying to control at all."

I don't know how Mike Pence does it.

Well he ain't the one doing the riding that's for sure.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Riding and shooting enemies in the eyes/kneecaps in SotC was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It may sound bad (even worse than using the tentacle hunter tool on Lady Maria on Bloodborne) but getting impaled by cavalry in BF1 is sure a spectacular way to die.