Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It won’t even last two days, anyone who tries to push this as a problem without enough momentum from the Weinstein scandal is going to sound like an idiot

sounding like an idiot has never stopped anyone on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't get how that photo is more offensive than all the Fogle, Epstein, pizzagate jokes they make on the show

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
you guys like video games

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
based_brit is that you?

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't get how that photo is more offensive than all the Fogle, Epstein, pizzagate jokes they make on the show

yeah you'd almost think the people complaining about the photo actually never listen to the show

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm too busy respecting women to listen to podcasts

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

Because this time Will Menaker and the DSA guy did the one thing you should never, ever do on the Internet: apologize.

Even if you're wrong, you can never apologize. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cosby joke was fine, execution was a little meh, but don't apologize in the face of fake outrage

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
people getting mad at the cosby joke are probably more viscerally mad than they ever have been at the inequality under capitalism

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Again, a lot of people getting mad at it are actual leftists. Otherwise they wouldn't be apologizing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Best part is that it came out on the same week as the PSA folks had Eliot "Iraq was still the right war" Cohen on and published a piece by Tim "republicans need to act now to prevent ACA taxes from kicking in" Miller.
Twitter is the worst, because it is all politics as spectacle. Looking progressive is more important than being progressive. Luckily, it is almost impossible to find people in real life that care about these twitter spats.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
can't believe this, i am cancelling my sub and giving the money to the podcast that did not post an offensive joke, cum town

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Again, a lot of people getting mad at it are actual leftists. Otherwise they wouldn't be apologizing.

I've seen a lot of people who claim to be leftists getting mad about it, but I don't know if they actually are leftists.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Their close friends, Brandy Jensen, Alex Press, and Kath Barbadoro, all called them out on it. It's not random internet people telling them they goofed.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
and emma roller, sarah jones who i believe has been a guest, @zandywithaz who i believe let them stay in her house in LA, eve peyser, etc. etc.

again, even if the joke was not dumb and bad, it didn't land at all with the people that matter

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

deadwing posted:

They didn't outright post "wow its insanely hosed up that bill cosby still has a star" but instead left it to subtext which is way too much for dense motherfuckers on reddit and twitter

It's two things: one, most of the people on left twitter were sharing molestation stories and poo poo involving men for the last few days, and two, Josh is a comedian and a podcaster, but also DSA LA co-chair. If the DSA is a serious political group, it needs serious leadership. It shows a lack of judgment on his part to think that would fly, especially knowing his audience and being a chair. It's just incredibly tone deaf. And it wasn't even a good joke!

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

CortezFantastic posted:

It's two things: one, most of the people on left twitter were sharing molestation stories and poo poo involving men for the last few days, and two, Josh is a comedian and a podcaster, but also DSA LA co-chair. If the DSA is a serious political group, it needs serious leadership. It shows a lack of judgment on his part to think that would fly, especially knowing his audience and being a chair. It's just incredibly tone deaf. And it wasn't even a good joke!

I appreciate this. I understand the backlash better now.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just hope this peer pressure just doesnt make them lose their edge and go for a safer, wider comedic appeal in the future

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CortezFantastic posted:

Oh, well that makes far more sense and is totally understandable. Much more helpful than yelling about how it's bad timing with 0 explanation.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Basically it's a problem of Online being bad. The joke is fine on its own, but it absolutely doesn't belong in the same space in which people have been sharing such deeply personal stuff. Twitter doesn't provide any barriers between the two.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It turns out you can't be both edgelord and woke.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

So the consensus I'm picking up on here is that the whole "we're the New American Left and we're gonna get poo poo DONE" thing is over and everyone's back to infighting and purity tests.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nothus posted:

It turns out you can't be both edgelord and woke.

Hmm, the bodega boys.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Weembles posted:

So the consensus I'm picking up on here is that the whole "we're the New American Left and we're gonna get poo poo DONE" thing is over and everyone's back to infighting and purity tests.

Thank god, we're back in my wheelhouse!!!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Weembles posted:

This is why the left has been so successful for so long.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Online DSA types:

- infighting is bad

-democratic centralism is also bad

:thunk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CortezFantastic posted:

That and local DSAs have enough trouble trying to get and retain members who are not just the sterotypical Chapo fan. I know a couple of people in the Pittsburgh DSA who are in the soc-feminist group who were/are loving pissed at this joke.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Josh needs to pick between being a DSA chair or being a comic IMO. Running a political group is serious and forcing your comedy on its members is pretty lovely. It's such an unforced error when you really look at it. If this was Baked Alaska we'd be rightfully mocking him for how tone deaf it is.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Q: How many DSA members does it take to screw in a ligh..
A: (interrupting)THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Throw all comedians into jail imo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

CortezFantastic posted:

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. It's definitely a case of poor timing and judgement.

Relin posted:

i just hope this peer pressure just doesnt make them lose their edge and go for a safer, wider comedic appeal in the future

Weembles posted:

Honestly, this is really what bothers me about the whole thing. I really don't want the left to sink back into impotent centrism, and Chapo's bluntness is one of the things I like about them.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

man, I'll take people mildly criticizing a bad joke that made them uncomfortable any day over a bunch of nerds flipping out that their precious podcast hosts got owned online.

quote:

Honestly, this is really what bothers me about the whole thing. I really don't want the left to sink back into impotent centrism, and Chapo's bluntness is one of the things I like about them.

the boys, and the DSA chair they were with, both apologized soon after, because they realized they had a lapse in judgement. hopefully, they will be more mindful going forward, and hopefully people will forgive them for something lovely but minor.

I think that will be the case. The tone of most of the criticism wasn't the liberal "drag him!!!!!!!", it was a lot more measured.

honestly, the reactionary backlash of "it's jsut JOKES" is way more concerning to me. it seems waaay disproportionate to the criticism actually coming from the left.

hint: if your kneejerk reaction, as a leftist, is to demand people "not be so sensitive", you are being a really lovely ally.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 13, 2017

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Stickfigure posted:

Lol at Bodega boys being lefties, they spend like a third of every ep stunting on broke boys. And another third on the A.K.A's . And they ride for Hillary.

Bodega Boys gave me $100 during Bodega Bucks. They are for the proletariat.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

man, I'll take people mildly criticizing a bad joke that made them uncomfortable any day over a bunch of nerds flipping out that their precious podcast hosts got owned online.

the boys, and the DSA chair they were with, both apologized soon after, because they realized they had a lapse in judgement. hopefully, they will be more mindful going forward, and hopefully people will forgive them for something lovely but minor.

I think that will be the case. The tone of most of the criticism wasn't the liberal "drag him!!!!!!!", it was a lot more measured.

honestly, the reactionary backlash of "it's jsut JOKES" is way more concerning to me. it seems waaay disproportionate to the criticism actually coming from the left.

hint: if your kneejerk reaction, as a leftist, is to demand people "not be so sensitive", you are being a really lovely ally.

I'm going to assume most people who dismissed it at first thought the criticism was coming from the same people who got pissed about the whole "bend the knee" poo poo and had no idea about the surrounding twitter context (or at least that was the case for me). When the actual, like, context is explained I think you'll find a lot more people will side with you.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
next episode will be a struggle session where NYC media girls with pixie cuts berate matt and will and beat them with closet dowels for an hour and 15 minutes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Felix remains the gooniest of them all
https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/918711081094193153

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Famethrowa posted:

My kneejerk reaction is "Be angry at Cosby!!!"

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

lmao

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I'm going to assume most people who dismissed it at first thought the criticism was coming from the same people who got pissed about the whole "bend the knee" poo poo and had no idea about the surrounding twitter context (or at least that was the case for me). When the actual, like, context is explained I think you'll find a lot more people will side with you.

Yeah, I assumed it was a bend the knee thing.

Famethrowa posted:

That being said, this is correct too and I'm glad you wrote it.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

Read the reddit threads linked here if you think the backlash is disproportionate. In it, people accuse them of bad opinions because "the episodes have edits, which means they must have said really offensive things". Someone calls elevator jokes an 'ableist dogwhistle'. Someone complains about them fat-shaming Steven Seagal.

The reason some of the criticism they got from the left wasn't so bad is because the people criticizing them are their friends or acquaintances, real-life or online. That's not great. It means people are only willing to give you the benefit of the doubt about something minor because they know you, and less likely to do so otherwise.

quote:

There is such a thing as 'being too sensitive' in the context of a group. Especially in the context we're discussing this, which is "way after it happened, after the post had been taken down and people had apologized".

I mean, look at your own post. "Hopefully people will forgive them for something lovely but minor". Why didn't you write "people should forgive them for something lovely but minor"? Why can you judge the severity of the injury (it's minor) but not judge what the appropriate reaction should be? It should be obvious that no group or community could ever function properly if letting go of minor things wasn't an imperative.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

If you kneejerk reaction, as a leftist, is to interpret everything in the worst way possible and to immediately assume that people who repeatedly affirmed everything you believe in are secretly evil, then you might be a redneck lovely ally.