Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Is 18-22 really the most important development years? This seems like an American mindset problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kids should be playing futsal (or other small sided games) way more than they're currently playing outdoor.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This result is the ultimate redemption of Jurgen. The guy was right and everyone around him was wrong

Only if you live in Bizarro World.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Klinsmann failed to develop a generation, got stymied by the entrenched warlords on the youth level, then killed an entire cycle by importing Germans who could pronounce the local US military base correctly. He was brought in to change the culture, and instead he brought about the beginning of the end. It's not all his fault - Gulati is where the buck stops - but he was a disaster disguised as a savior.

Arena took the scraps and made chicken salad out of chicken poo poo. But even he fell into hubris. Not rotating the team when it's all to play for is an absolute crime. His selection of defenders was dire, and the insistence on the old and inadequate was bound to haunt us in time.

Bob Bradley did more with less. He won with Charlie Davies and Benny Feilhaber, for gently caress's sake. So maybe it's the systemic rot.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't understand why Klinsmann tried to change the culture of the national team first. It's a totally ridiculous goal. The people in charge need to understand that real change will come from getting kids interested in soccer at a young age and funneling them into properly run academies. People all over the drat world know how to do this, the problem is just getting the money to build academies and build them everywhere, and that's not what MLS does (for a million obvious reasons we've already covered). Klinsmann can do his Klinsmann things once those players come of age, but by trying to force it upon players who are totally incapable of playing his style, all he did was make the national team bad. We all know interest in soccer in the US is driven by the success and visibility of the national team, so by trying to change the culture from the top down he did nothing but destroy the mechanism that would actually drive that change on a grassroots level.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Is 18-22 really the most important development years? This seems like an American mindset problem.
Well those are the years in which the body and the brain fill out and finally reach full adult-level physical maturity.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Jesus Christ. Never change MLS fans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We should probably care a bit more about skill than we do about raw physical ability.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Crazy Ted posted:

Well those are the years in which the body and the brain fill out and finally reach full adult-level physical maturity.

Sure, but if you don’t have any skill sets at that point, it doesn’t matter. Even football players learn how to play the game young, and that’s a game that requires physical maturity and raw strength.

E. Let’s be real, football needs college football because that gets your body contact-ready for the NFL. Soccer doesn’t because a lot of the physical toll in soccer isn’t (shouldn’t be) contact related. Basketball is a mixed bag but I like college basketball.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 11, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

FartingBedpost posted:

Sure, but if you don’t have any skill sets at that point, it doesn’t matter. Even football players learn how to play the game young, and that’s a game that requires physical maturity and raw strength.

This is my point. If you suck at 16, you’re probably going to suck between 18-22.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

No. but they're not unimportant. Every bit of development is important and any worthless route that hinders it contributes to the problem.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is my point. If you suck at 16, you’re probably going to suck between 18-22.

Totally. I hate when US fans argue that we just need the best athletes to start playing soccer. We don’t need eleven JJ Watts on the field, because JJ Watt has a skill set totally unrelated to soccer.

Build players with the right skill sets and then work on physical development. You can have both.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. but they're not unimportant. Every bit of development is important and any worthless route that hinders it contributes to the problem.

Do you really think he's saying "totally ignore development between 18-22"?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I feel like this entire collapse deserves it's own thread. I'm pissed as well, probably more than most people but I don't know I don't feel the need to yell about it in the MLS thread

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Seltzer posted:

I feel like this entire collapse deserves it's own thread. I'm pissed as well, probably more than most people but I don't know I don't feel the need to yell about it in the MLS thread

I was thinking the same thing actually; it's clogging up the international thread as well. Feel free to post one.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I follow the international thread and heard these two arguments a couple of times. Aren't they contradictory?

- American players leave Europe for MLS fat salaries
- MLS has poor attendance, poor sponsor interest, salary caps = is poor in general

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Malaver posted:

I follow the international thread and heard these two arguments a couple of times. Aren't they contradictory?

- American players leave Europe for MLS fat salaries
- MLS has poor attendance, poor sponsor interest, salary caps = is poor in general

I think there are rules that allow American players to make more than others in MLS?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Gigi Galli posted:

I was thinking the same thing actually; it's clogging up the international thread as well. Feel free to post one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837194

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Thanks!

highme
May 25, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I think there are rules that allow American players to make more than others in MLS?

Nah, a team can only have so many international players. Other than that American & foreign born players are pretty much treated the same in the MLS Calvinball Rulebook Bonanza.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dirk Pitt posted:

This is not quite correct. Your Michael Bradley or Jozy Altidore types that are being lured over from Europe to their DOOOOOOOOM are just like any other Designated Player contract - their impact against the salary cap is fixed and their actual pay is an unrelated number that is whatever the team owner wants to pay them and can afford to, so there's no limit on what they can earn regardless of nationality.

This is why Kaka, not an American, was the highest-paid player in MLS.

(I say was because, in what is either unfortunate timing or a deliberate news dump, he announced today that he won't be returning for 2018.)

What IS correct is that the domestic player quota (among other things) means that Americans are worth more to MLS teams than they are to foreign teams, much like the "English player tax".

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So no Kaka and no Pirlo in MLS next year. Looking pretty thin on anyone worth getting a jersey for. Not many aging thirty something players left to dominate mls backlines nowadays

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So no Kaka and no Pirlo in MLS next year. Looking pretty thin on anyone worth getting a jersey for. Not many aging thirty something players left to dominate mls backlines nowadays
Did you forget that David Villa exists?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Schweinsteiger? But who knows if/how long he's staying.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Lil Seb is almost 30 right?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

I'd think you would be happy about this but I should probably know better.

Our billionaires are learning? Villa and Schweinsteiger will basically be the only ones left I think: Giovinco will be 30 eventually but he's not the same sort of signing exactly, he was a twentysomething Juventus fringe player brought over to clown on MLS backlines (and did so so successfully that he managed to make Toronto fall in love with him and even make Jozy look good.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 12, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Haven't Kaka and Pirlo been pretty poo poo this year? or am I missing something...

Also which MLS coach ends up replacing Brucey?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 12, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Caleb Porter

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Ben Olsen For America

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Curt Onalfo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'd think you would be happy about this but I should probably know better.

At least we had the coattails of aging respected players to sell merch on. Now we don’t even have that

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Hahahahahahahahah

https://twitter.com/NYCFC/status/918522031502655488

At least this is actually in New York this time...but it's in the Mets' stadium.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 12, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Well, if NYCFC actually ever get Willets Point they might as well get used to the commute.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Jack2142 posted:

Haven't Kaka and Pirlo been pretty poo poo this year? or am I missing something...

Also which MLS coach ends up replacing Brucey?

Orlando literally has a better record when Kaka doesn't play and Pirlo is a shadow of his former self that should have retired on a high note years ago

highme
May 25, 2001

MLS adjacent Portland Thorns beat NC Courage for the NWSL championship today 1-0. It wasn't a terribly attractive game unless you like hard challenges & refs who are afraid to card stars early.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

highme posted:

refs who are afraid to card stars early.

It's my biggest problem with refereeing. The idea that a foul isn't a yellow or red in the first minute, but is one in the 70th. It drives me absolutely nuts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

highme posted:

MLS adjacent Portland Thorns beat NC Courage for the NWSL championship today 1-0. It wasn't a terribly attractive game unless you like hard challenges & refs who are afraid to card stars early.

I just watched the highlights clip NWSL posted, it was seven minutes long and a six and a half minutes of it was yellow card-worthy fouls.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
As someone who watched all of it...yeah, that sounds about right.

highme
May 25, 2001

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It's my biggest problem with refereeing. The idea that a foul isn't a yellow or red in the first minute, but is one in the 70th. It drives me absolutely nuts.

Tobin should have had a yellow in the 2nd minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJl2pUjx_UU&t=25s

wicka posted:

I just watched the highlights clip NWSL posted, it was seven minutes long and a six and a half minutes of it was yellow card-worthy fouls.

yup

Also, at least 2 members of the broadcast team referred to Taylor Smith as Taylor Swift.

highme fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

wicka posted:

Caleb Porter

:frogout:

• Locked thread