Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The easy to categorise infantile medal system is a bit on the nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Maybe we can then move to Gold, Silver, Bronze and "Basic" water quality. Or even fire service cover or policing etc etc. It's not funny that the LNP would probably like that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
So the private health insurance "shake up" is to only give young people a 10% discount which will be taken away when you turn 40.

Ite just glorified PR nonsense.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Because simple rating systems for other products and industries have been honest and effective. :allears:
Insert image of the farmers union iced coffee and it's 4 star health rating here.
:discourse:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

fickle poofterist posted:

The fact that everything is so poo poo made this hard for me to.parse...
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-12/private-health-insurance-shake-up-targets-youth-mental-health/9042448?pfmredir=sm

Is there a minor improvements coming? Wtf?

Or is this actually a false rise before a slide into American style "healthcare"

I work in private health and this article is the first I'm hearing about this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Maybe they should address the fact that private health care is a complete waste of money. When iajwife shattered her wrist and needed surgery we had the fun of the exact same care and room but also a fun 2000$ bill afterwards that wouldn't have been there if we'd just said the word "public" on hospital admittance. Complete loving scam. Dropped the cover the day after and never looked back.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So premiums are rising and all The industry can cough up is 10%?

I don't believe them. Make it 40%

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

iajanus posted:

Maybe they should address the fact that private health care is a complete waste of money.

insurance in general (there are a couple of exceptions) is a waste of money because the whole business model is predicated on not actually providing cover when you need it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

iajanus posted:

Maybe they should address the fact that private health care is a complete waste of money. When iajwife shattered her wrist and needed surgery we had the fun of the exact same care and room but also a fun 2000$ bill afterwards that wouldn't have been there if we'd just said the word "public" on hospital admittance. Complete loving scam. Dropped the cover the day after and never looked back.

Yeah, for emergency or urgent care, just go public. The only benefit is choosing a doctor (which is probably the same one you'd have public) and MAYBE getting a private room if available. The big value is elective surgery because you jump the public waiting list and can negotiate with the surgeon to lower the gap because you know it's coming.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

trunkh posted:

Insert image of the farmers union iced coffee and it's 4 star health rating here.
:discourse:

it should be 5 stars and you know it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i for one cannot wait to sign up to subsidise nearly dead baby boomer's health insurance

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wait isn't the LNPs plan to kill Medicare so we all have to subsidise Boomer deaths?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

iajanus posted:

Conversely, when SMG was cooking away once we entered the hospital we didn't have to pay for a thing due to having private, in a private hospital that allows you to stay multiple nights after the baby is born.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

it should be 5 stars and you know it

Indeed which further highlights how ludicrous rating systems such as these are.

Also 10% is the kinda discount you get from a retailer that's sick of your bullshit and just wants you out of the store. Not sure who that is going to win over.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

iajanus posted:

I moved to Brisbane from Canada about two years ago. My partner and I -- both permanent residents -- got spooky letters warning us that we needed to get health insurance, so we did in July of this year. It's over 250$ a month through QANTAS Assure. Did we get screwed and if so what is the best course of action to get unscrewed?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sappy Fingers posted:

I moved to Brisbane from Canada about two years ago. My partner and I -- both permanent residents -- got spooky letters warning us that we needed to get health insurance, so we did in July of this year. It's over 250$ a month through QANTAS Assure. Did we get screwed and if so what is the best course of action to get unscrewed?

My family cover is over $200 a fortnight so it sounds like you got a pretty dece deal

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Working visas may require different health care than citizens. I dunno if you're getting hosed but I worked with a guy from the states who told me he had to get crazy private health cover too

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sappy Fingers posted:

That price seems about right, but insurance through qantas wtf?

If there is any indication that private health insurance is a huge loving rort, its the amount of companies trying to get into that space.

No coles, you sell food you do not sell insurance

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Of course corporate tax is too high! What corporation would like to gouge massive profits out of a wealthy first world country with strong law enforcement, low endemic (Between the peasants that is) corruption and secure banks? NOBODY I TELL YOU!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck/2017-10-13/fact-check-wii-australia-be-uncompetitive-on-company-tax/9033940

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

That price seems about right, but insurance through qantas wtf?

If there is any indication that private health insurance is a huge loving rort, its the amount of companies trying to get into that space.

Qantas sells health insurance as an agent of nib. Same for apia and suncorp.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

NPR Journalizard posted:

No coles, you sell food you do not sell insurance

Unrelated, but I saw the local Coles doing a can drive. Apparently it runs every year and is a collaboration between Coles and a homeless charity. The idea is, you buy a second can of food and put it in a box at the front of the shop to be donated. The second can is full price. Real generous

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I work for the largest PHI company active in Australia AMA

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

SadisTech posted:

how has your day been

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

Unrelated, but I saw the local Coles doing a can drive. Apparently it runs every year and is a collaboration between Coles and a homeless charity. The idea is, you buy a second can of food and put it in a box at the front of the shop to be donated. The second can is full price. Real generous

yes, because gently caress coles they are a horrible company and anyone who shops there should feel bad

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NPR Journalizard posted:

yes, because gently caress coles they are a horrible company and anyone who shops there should feel bad

It is impossible to participate in society without monetarily contributing to evil

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

racing identity posted:

It is impossible to participate in society without monetarily contributing to evil

Its possible to choose a course of action that does less harm

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can't say a lot, but it appears that an EBA for Coles from 2011 is about to get thrown out. Apparently there are a bunch of people from Coles management who lied on stat decs and stuff to pass the boot test.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

SadisTech posted:

Why don't they release lists of how much each plan pays for each hicaps item? Getting that info is like pulling teeth

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Of course corporate tax is too high! What corporation would like to gouge massive profits out of a wealthy first world country with strong law enforcement, low endemic (Between the peasants that is) corruption and secure banks? NOBODY I TELL YOU!!!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck/2017-10-13/fact-check-wii-australia-be-uncompetitive-on-company-tax/9033940

Reading this "fact check" made me angry and I have already sent the ABC a condescending email telling them to take down the page until they get a clue.

Because tax is paid on profits, "can we make a profit?" is a far more important and wide-ranging question than "what is the tax rate?"

It's also why some multinationals put a whole lot of effort into pretending that their Australian workers are just agents for a foreign branch. AU tax rate is irrelevant when all your profits are made in Timbuktu :smug:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

Can't say a lot, but it appears that an EBA for Coles from 2011 is about to get thrown out. Apparently there are a bunch of people from Coles management who lied on stat decs and stuff to pass the boot test.

So does this take them back to a previous EBA, or... I guess UP to award in their case, gross.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

NPR Journalizard posted:

Its possible to choose a course of action that does less harm

Is that what you do?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Mr Chips posted:

Why don't they release lists of how much each plan pays for each hicaps item? Getting that info is like pulling teeth

Because they want to obfuscate how little the set benefit is as a proportion of what most providers charge, and push customers onto the preferred providers where you're guaranteed 70 - 100 % cover based on your LOC.

Extras are poo poo anyway, unless you're really clever about how to use them, have an actual need for a variety of services every year and know exactly how to maximise them. The only way to look at it is mitigating the cost over regular payments instead of in lump sums but even then you won't come out ahead, on average. The product wouldn't be offered if you did, it would be unsustainable. And some get retired for this very reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SadisTech posted:

Have you bought any new cool suits of armour for yourself or your family recently?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

racing identity posted:

Is that what you do?

I try to, yes.

Especially when its as simple as doing things like "dont shop at colesworth" and "try to buy from locally owned shops"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

old men running the world

UNESCO

savaged

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I try to, yes.

Especially when its as simple as doing things like "dont shop at colesworth" and "try to buy from locally owned shops"
The problem with "oh I like to buy ethically" is that it's expensive as gently caress and is essentially a feel-good behaviour for bourgies who are all "Hmm maybe my life is problematic? Better do something about it!" so that they can sleep better at night.

Try being poor and "ethical", it's basically impossible. What if there are no shops other than the usual duopoly in your area? You're either lumped with them or paying more money (usually via PT) to go further to a different shop. And that shop usually charges more for the basics you need (like bread and milk), because the duopoly can afford to undercut them and still make a profit. When you are literally having to choose between getting food or medication, that kind of "buying ethically" seems like pure wankery.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you're a permanent resident you're entitled to free healthcare, aren't you? Why would you get a letter ordering you to get private, that sounds ridiculous.

But then of course I am no longer a permanent resident and today Mr. Hookshot put his application in for Canadian citizenship so I don't even know how Australia works anymore, it wouldn't surprise me if they gently caress over perm residents anymore either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The ethical thing to do is to steal as many cans of peas as you can and donate them directly.

StudlyCaps
Oct 4, 2012
If it's an option though, shopping ethically is better than nothing, right?

Right? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

HookShot posted:

If you're a permanent resident you're entitled to free healthcare, aren't you? Why would you get a letter ordering you to get private, that sounds ridiculous.

But then of course I am no longer a permanent resident and today Mr. Hookshot put his application in for Canadian citizenship so I don't even know how Australia works anymore, it wouldn't surprise me if they gently caress over perm residents anymore either.

I'll have to double-check with Goast but I am pretty sure she gets free healthcare (she has a medicare card etc), but we got private anyway to cover things like emergency ambulance, dental etc.

• Locked thread