Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mo serannas, mo problems it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They're not closing the main studio, but the last vestiges of ME/DA era Bioware might be gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what does that leave of old time Bioware folks? Just Mac Walters and Casey Hudson?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RIP. Some of the mass effect games were bad but one of them was one of the best games ever made. Fuckin RIP

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And ME:A is being moved to the free section of EA Access before the end of the year,

https://www.ea.com/news/coming-soon-to-access-fall-2017

Not even EA thinks its worth it to try to sell people ME:A

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol I might actually play it. How bad could it be

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not bad enough to be awful, but apparently bad enough to kill a company and a franchise in one go

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lol I might actually play it. How bad could it be

stop this

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

no u

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
you're better than abusing yourselves with mediocre-to-bad games

2017 is a year with some of the best games ever and there's ones in every genre that are great, you don't need to spend 40 hours on a chode

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Thank you. Instead I will replay Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I just had no choice but to make you pay for lunch the other day. I'm really sorry.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I played ME:A for about a third of the way through before I got bored of pre-scripted VTOL enemy drops.
Holy poo poo that game made me constipated.

That being said, I highly suggest some fibre-biscuits before you play, as they are tasty and will help you pass the massive stone percolating in your intestines that is Andromeda.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what does that leave of old time Bioware folks? Just Mac Walters and Casey Hudson?

Lukas Kristjanson is a writer that's been there since Baldur's Gate. He's probably the longest tenured guy left? I know when David Gaider announced he was leaving on Twitter they were talking about Kristjanson being one of the last old guys standing.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

BexGu posted:

And ME:A is being moved to the free section of EA Access before the end of the year,

https://www.ea.com/news/coming-soon-to-access-fall-2017

Not even EA thinks its worth it to try to sell people ME:A

Mass Effect joining the hallowed company of *checks notes* Rugby 2k14 and Dead Space: The Bad One.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

im cute posted:

Mass Effect joining the hallowed company of *checks notes* Rugby 2k14 and Dead Space: The Bad One.

I really didn't mind Dead Space 3. It's at least enjoyable on some levels, unlike Andromeda.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

aren't all the dead spaces free on EA access now

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

MGS 2 is seriously prophetic in this timeline.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I met a mass effect andromeda apologist in the wild, poor guy

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Patrick Weekes took over lead writer on Dragon Age after Gaider left. He's been around since ME1 apparently and most of the stuff he had a heavy hand in for ME3 and DAI were the better parts (Mordin and Tuchanka in ME3, Iron Bull/Chargers, Cole, Solas, and Trespasser dlc for DAI).

Didn't Karpyshyn come back to TOR as well? (lol TOR)

Those are the only names that come to mind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd rather Karpyshin stuck to writing games than trying to do novels. His Star Wars books are loving dire.

Is Hamburger Hepler still around?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd rather Karpyshin stuck to writing games than trying to do novels. His Star Wars books are loving dire.

She was run out by spergs years ago.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

im cute posted:

for something pretty dumb right? she was the writer, who worked purely on the story side of things, who said she enjoys things like dialogue, decisions, plots, etc in her video games and wished there was a way to skip stuff like combat and then the bsn took that to mean she shouldn't be a video game writer at all and wouldn't ever let the subject drop?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DA2 was a huge disappointment and she said some embarrassing stuff on social media so she became a focus for both deserved criticism of the game and incoherent "gamer" rage. That's what it was about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

escalator dropdown posted:

Patrick Weekes took over lead writer on Dragon Age after Gaider left. He's been around since ME1 apparently and most of the stuff he had a heavy hand in for ME3 and DAI were the better parts (Mordin and Tuchanka in ME3, Iron Bull/Chargers, Cole, Solas, and Trespasser dlc for DAI).

Didn't Karpyshyn come back to TOR as well? (lol TOR)

Those are the only names that come to mind.

Minor correction.

Jon Dombrow did Tuchanka.

Weekes handled Rannoch, which was more of a mixed bag, but he did write Mordin, Tali in ME2 and 3, and Garrus's non-loyalty mission everything in ME2. He did a lot of good stuff, but, well, Dombrow did Tuchanka, and he couldn't save Andromeda. Being a good writer doesn't guarantee it'll all work out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

this was the thing i half-remembered, if there was other stuff i don't know about it

https://kotaku.com/5886674/bioware-writer-describes-her-gaming-tastes-angry-gamers-call-her-a-cancer

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ironically she was right, Dragon Age 2 would be a much better game with all the combat removed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dragon Age 2 still has some of the worst combat encounter design I've ever seen from Bioware. I guess Andromeda's dropship enemy spawns are similar, but at least they have some visual flair to signal reinforcements, and not just loving ninja Dwarfs spawning in midair to drop behind you. Only the randomly spawning Wraid and Tusken Raiders from KOTOR 1 come close to the Dragon Age 2 ineptitude.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Isn't the new Assassin's Creed stirring up the whole 'how dare people skip through gameplay' argument again?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Last I heard about her was she was a stretch goal (join as a writer) or something for a lovely sounding kickstarter sci-fi rpg that had some rape overtones

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Assassin's Creed has always been piss easy I'm not sure how people could be mad about removing combat in a game where most of it is traversing.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Ironically she was right, Dragon Age 2 would be a much better game with all the combat removed.

it's kinda sad since they made genuine improvements to the core mechanics that expanded on what da:o brought...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dragon Age 2 still has some of the worst combat encounter design I've ever seen from Bioware. I guess Andromeda's dropship enemy spawns are similar, but at least they have some visual flair to signal reinforcements, and not just loving ninja Dwarfs spawning in midair to drop behind you. Only the randomly spawning Wraid and Tusken Raiders from KOTOR 1 come close to the Dragon Age 2 ineptitude.

...since it still had this issue to bog it down - random tiles triggering fights was something that even final fantasy abandoned and da2 also had waves that weren't telegraphed or communicated to the player somehow, but i doubt they had enough time to figure out good persistent enemy placement considering how squashed that dev cycle was in general

Milky Moor posted:

Isn't the new Assassin's Creed stirring up the whole 'how dare people skip through gameplay' argument again?

if we're having the same argument in tyool 2017 i hope it doesn't include neatly editing out all but the most damning parts of old posts and interviews for maximum outrage

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What food would assassins creed be?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

im cute posted:

hard counter posted:

for something pretty dumb right? she was the writer, who worked purely on the story side of things, who said she enjoys things like dialogue, decisions, plots, etc in her video games and wished there was a way to skip stuff like combat and then the bsn took that to mean she shouldn't be a video game writer at all and wouldn't ever let the subject drop?
She wasn't run out by anyone, she said she left to write a book and do freelance work. The abuse over that "skip gameplay" statement was before that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
even for free I don't know if I can muster any enthusiasm to even download this game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

orange juche posted:

Hummus. It's pretty good at first, but then, hey, it's hummus, how original!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

orange juche posted:

scary ghost food

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bloomin onion

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really didn't mind Dead Space 3. It's at least enjoyable on some levels, unlike Andromeda.

Wrong type of relation.

It's more, "Does this game really belong in this series, or could it have been an entirely new IP?" to which the answer is New IP.

Then again, you have the new Prey, which who the gently caress knows why they named it that instead of System Shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thor-Stryker posted:

Wrong type of relation.

It's more, "Does this game really belong in this series, or could it have been an entirely new IP?" to which the answer is New IP.

Then again, you have the new Prey, which who the gently caress knows why they named it that instead of System Shock.

Bethesda said to Arkane Studios "You got something in development we can stick this name on? We don't care what it actually is, we'll just give you money to do it."