Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

SB35 posted:

Too bad you didn't come ask about this a month ago. We would have told you to call Google (providing you bought from the play store) and get it replaced with a Pixel XL even if out of warranty. They aren't doing that anymore. You could get the battery replaced and it should fix this issue for awhile at least.

I missed a few shots with my 6P on vacation so maybe bring that point and shoot just in case.

You're kidding me. I was just thinking now that I should just BUY a Pixel XL now that they'll be cheaper. I've been having this poo poo battery for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Which is fine as long as you never go in a plane or on a long car trip.

I know this sounds crazy but...you can take the adapter with you on the plane. hosed up, I know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know this sounds crazy but...you can take the adapter with you on the plane. hosed up, I know.

I think they are more referring to being able to charge while listening without an additional expensive adapter which I admit is a legit concern.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

I think they are more referring to being able to charge while listening without an additional expensive adapter which I admit is a legit concern.

The adapters are like 11$ on amazon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The only potential problems I have with the adapter is that the USB-C port on my 5X is meanwhile worn out more than I'd like, and that the Pixel 2 one will too, and that the signal fidelity might not be up to par. Apple's adapter measures pretty drat good, but that seems a good venue for Google to gently caress something else up.

I guess I have to eventually fold and buy those hilarious hearing aid style in-ears from Sony, because currently only they match my budget, feature set and relative compactness.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Google adapter is expensive but so is the Apple one. They're cheap on Amazon.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
gently caress i forgot how much snappier and longer lived a phone can be when the display resolution is halved in ADB.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

gently caress i forgot how much snappier and longer lived a phone can be when the display resolution is halved in ADB.

"I can prolong my use of a crappy thing if I make it crappier!"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

For new ones? They got their price cut ($100). Anything further on NIB units would likely come from places like w00t if there's any overstock to get rid of later. That's hard to predict though and indicators are that there was never much excess stock to begin with.

ilkhan posted:

(Used) Pixels are going to go for 350-450 for the foreseeable future. As long as Google is offering 350-410, anyway. Don't buy new at this point.
Buy now, got it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

RZA Encryption posted:

"I can prolong my use of a crappy thing if I make it crappier!"

It's how the S8/S8+/Note 8 come out of the box by default!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for your input.

It's difficult to tell the difference visually between a 1440p and 720p screen with appropriate DPI scaling on a 5 inch screen in day to day use; I have 20/15 vision and I don't notice it unless I'm looking at a high resolution picture with fine details or overlays with single pixel lines.

This means in cases where performance and battery life are more important, it is a decent trade off.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
Welp I bought the Moto G5+ and it's great, that's my story.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Google adapter is expensive but so is the Apple one. They're cheap on Amazon.

I think you should probably avoid the cheap adapters. There is serious problems with cheap accessories and dealing with the specs for USB Type C. Either it simply doesn't charge your phone or worse, actually sends TOO much power to your phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Solvency posted:

I think you should probably avoid the cheap adapters. There is serious problems with cheap accessories and dealing with the specs for USB Type C. Either it simply doesn't charge your phone or worse, actually sends TOO much power to your phone.

I wasn't planning to get either, and obviously people should check the spec first, that's been standard for a while.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Can the pixel 2XL do video out over the USB-C? Asking for a friend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? https://www.spigen.com/products/screen-protector-glas-tr-nano-liquid

I'm curious if it's effective at all, would be nice for curved edge screens where a regular tempered glass protector isn't available.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Has anyone ever tried this stuff? https://www.spigen.com/products/screen-protector-glas-tr-nano-liquid

I'm curious if it's effective at all, would be nice for curved edge screens where a regular tempered glass protector isn't available.

Its probably just reusing some automotive paint protection poo poo. I expect you will be able to get bottles of this poo poo from china in about a week for a dollar. Also it probably sucks

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its probably just reusing some automotive paint protection poo poo. I expect you will be able to get bottles of this poo poo from china in about a week for a dollar. Also it probably sucks

Fair enough, but I've never seen nor heard of it before so I was just asking about its effectiveness, not about price or availability.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fair enough, but I've never seen nor heard of it before so I was just asking about its effectiveness, not about price or availability.

Lots of them on amazon if you want to read reviews. Guarantee spigan is identical to these no names.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=liquid+screen+protector

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
FYI if it matters to you, most verizon stores have hands-on pixel 2 and the pixel 2 XL displays starting today. I'm not buying one from verizon but I appreciate being able to hold and get a feel for them before they're actually available.

I'm not crazy about the huge bezels on the regular 2 and the lack of headphone jack, but I'll be coming over to android finally from an iphone 5 and the XL just feels way too big for me, so I'll probably just get the 2.

Man I can't wait to ditch the iphone.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Get the XL. Everyone thinks that their first big phone is just going to be too much but you get used to it in a day and after that you can't go back to small phones anymore.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also the Pixel 2 is ugly as poo poo and the 2 XL looks fantastic.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I would definitely go back to a phone the size of the MotoX 2013 version from my Pixel XL.

However, it didn't take me long to get used to the large size, I just don't prefer it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Moto X 2013 doesn't count because it was too perfect for this world.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I wish they had gone with the same design (the XL's) for both sizes, but I still got the smaller one. I "got used to it" with the 6P, but after switching back to a smaller phone I realized pretty much immediately that I hated the larger size.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Id go back to the 5" pixel if it had the same small bezels and stuff as the XL. The size difference is smaller than you think just due to that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CFox posted:

Moto X 2013 doesn't count because it was too perfect for this world.

I had one as workphone in 2014 and I loving loved it, shame that only could use it for three months before they changed every phone to a loving samsung...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Logan 5 posted:

FYI if it matters to you, most verizon stores have hands-on pixel 2 and the pixel 2 XL displays starting today. I'm not buying one from verizon but I appreciate being able to hold and get a feel for them before they're actually available.

I am going to a Verizon store this weekend now, thanks!

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011
So I'm a huge idiot and didn't trade in my pixel 1 for a 2XL. I plan on keeping both so can I just swap Sims back and forth to keep using both phones?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GopherFlats posted:

So I'm a huge idiot and didn't trade in my pixel 1 for a 2XL. I plan on keeping both so can I just swap Sims back and forth to keep using both phones?
Yes.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

CFox posted:

Get the XL. Everyone thinks that their first big phone is just going to be too much but you get used to it in a day and after that you can't go back to small phones anymore.
This is the exact reason I went with a Moto G5S+ instead of the G5+. My wife has an S6 with 5.1" display and I can't stand how small it is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

You're kidding me. I was just thinking now that I should just BUY a Pixel XL now that they'll be cheaper. I've been having this poo poo battery for so long.

I didn't realize how bad my Nexus 6P battery was until it started shutting off at 15%. On October 7th, I called Google and asked them if they could do anything about it, not even bringing up the Pixel replacement until she'd already started the replacement process. I said something like "So I heard you're replacing these with Pixels sometimes?" and she told me to check my email, because sometimes it's another Nexus and sometimes it's a Pixel. Turned out, I was getting a Pixel. It's a massive improvement in battery life, speed, and display.

So it can't hurt to call and ask. I think they're just trained now to not outright promise a Pixel replacement upfront to stop people from getting a free phone upgrade just because Reddit told them the right things to say they were having issues with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GopherFlats posted:

Why??

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

From Reddit:

Pixel 2 XL vs Pixel XL

Pixel 2 XL vs LG V30

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

From Reddit:

Pixel 2 XL vs Pixel XL

Thank god those bezels got shrunken, I don't know how I'd use the Pixel 2 XL if it had such large bezels

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It looks awesome imo

someone did an unboxing too, lol at that dongle

https://imgur.com/a/TaS64

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I regrettably never got in on that Amazon Prime Day deal back in July where the Moto G5+ with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage was $180 with Amazon lockscreen ads. I was considering getting an Honor 6X off Amazon instead for $200 unlocked and no ads, but it looks like the Honor 7x is coming out soon, now spec'd with 4GB of RAM and a 6" display, but only 32GB of storage for the base model. Does anyone have experience with Honor phones? Should I wait for BF to see if there's another deal, or maybe if Amazon picks up the G5S+ and get that instead? I'm in no hurry to get a new phone, but I'd like to consider my options at the budget range ($200ish).

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 13, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

teagone posted:

I regrettably never got in on that Amazon Prime Day deal back in July where the Moto G5+ with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage was $180 with Amazon lockscreen ads. I was considering getting an Honor 6X off Amazon instead for $200 unlocked and no ads, but it looks like the Honor 7x is coming out soon, now spec'd with 4GB of RAM and a 6" display, but only 32GB of storage for the base model. Does anyone have experience with Honor phones? Should I wait for BF to see if there's another deal, or maybe if Amazon picks up the G5S+ and get that instead? I'm in no hurry to get a new phone, but I'd like to consider my options at the budget range ($200ish).
I bought my GF an Honor 6x and it's been a surprisingly good phone for the price. She's pretty picky about phones and has been very happy with pretty much everything about it, and both of us actually like EMUI :iiam:. It behaves and feels like a phone twice its cost. (edit for a couple of downsides: no 5GHz wifi and I don't think it has NFC)

The thread will insist that the G5+ is the only phone at that price point but the 7x looks to be more than a match for it.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 13, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a smart way to get Oreo onto my Nexus 9? I don't know enough about Android to know what sites have reputable info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does a glass screen protector offer any shatter protection for something with curved glass edges like the Pixel 2 XL? I'm not super worried about scratches but I'm wondering if I can do something more than just using a case do protect the screen from getting completely destroyed.