Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'd like to thank the mod that changed the thread title and icon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Expansion owns and I haven't even gotten to the new acts yet. Theres like 3 different inquisitor builds I want to try.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I am pretty bummed that with the exception of like maybe 1 niche build, the Death Knight is trash tier.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm liking the necromancer skellys and fart golem so far, gonna do a full pet build first with occultist.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Dahbadu posted:

Hey brah, what's your Steam name? I'll gift you a copy of the game or something. I can also, alternatively, upgrade your SA account. You pick!

:3:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/watho/

i'm too broke to buy the expansion so that sounds like a good prize to me

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently, you can't choose to ally with Kymon's Chosen if you play a Necromancer. However, Zantai, one of the devs said, "Mostly I feel that the choice should feel meaningful and contextually appropriate. The world seems more believable. However, clever players may find ways to deceive the admissions process."

It's speculated that you choose Necromancer as your 2nd master, but only after you ally with KC.

Also, a couple of new items:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

why do the ranged skellys have half the aggro range of melee ones?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

baram. posted:

why do the ranged skellys have half the aggro range of melee ones?

They don’t like getting punched, so they don’t wanna attract too much attention. Duh.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I live in Santa Rosa (northern California), and about half my city is on fire right now, with the latest evac zone border about 2 blocks away from my house.

:smith::respek::smith:

Kind of hard to enjoy a video game about a ravaged environment full of refugees when you’re currently living in one.

I did get to play for about 20 minutes though, and big thanks to whoever posted that Vindicator build, it seems fearsome as hell even without appropriate gear.

VV I know, right?

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 13, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god this ranged vindicator is so good leveling right now, storm box for single target is reaaaallly good with the tether, and the aoe from primal strike/torrent is great as a primary

ed: using a rifle

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Anyone have an opinion on shields? I think they were really strong when i last played but idk if thats still true.

Currently playing a bleed Warder with The Guillotine 2h but I just got a Mythical Butcher of Burrwitch. Lose about 30% damage on my Blade Arc's bleed switching to 1h/shield atm but maybe its worth it for the defense?

Will require some respeccing to switch so just wanna be sure shields don't suck rear end before I do. Thanks!

e: nevermind I went ahead and switched to 1h/shield and the answer is shields make you insanely tanky i guess. Damage is still fine as well, so cool.

Erz fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 13, 2017

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This has been on Steam wishlist for a while and since it's on sale I picked it up. Anyone have any good build recommendations for a new player? Any thing else I should know? I just have the base game + crucible but if I take to it I'll grab the expansion.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

I've been attempting to kill Rashalga with a level 48 Eye of Dreeg Occultist/Soldier character, I kite her around for about 5 minutes whittling down her health, and then I'll end up being a bit too close to her during one of her red aura moments, and she's back up to full health. Am I missing a trick or do I just not have enough dps at my current level?

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Axetrain posted:

This has been on Steam wishlist for a while and since it's on sale I picked it up. Anyone have any good build recommendations for a new player? Any thing else I should know? I just have the base game + crucible but if I take to it I'll grab the expansion.

There aren't too many bad builds if you gear right but you will hit walls at endgame stuff I guess. My main build isn't really talked about (dw gun fire/vit/burn dmg x curses pyromancer, no pets autoattack fire shot aoe) and it's pretty effective, just made it up and picked skills that I liked and paired gear that I like.

But as far as 'starter',anything with Soldier is great, Arcanist as well, Shaman is pretty great, I found it to be a bit boring though.

https://www.grimdawn.com/forums/ is the 'official' build place and should work still after the patch. My favorite individual class is the Demolitionist by far I think, great damage, tankiness and utility.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
demo is a really powerful class, yeah. pick up something that isn't arcanist and play with your friend who is one and bask in the buff aura that doubles your elemental damage and gives you even more nasty on-hit effects and dots :unsmigghh:

v i dunno... i've had way more fun with grim dawn than we did with titan quest. i mean, they're both great games; i just have more fun with this one. TQ definitely had more visually-interesting areas but also nobody wore pants

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 13, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably not controversial to say this game is visually a pretty big step down from Titan Quest, even if you account for the change in setting. Same for animation work. Makes sense, it being an indie game with an uncertain start. Just a pity.

Having played the two almost back to back, I actually think overall TQ makes a better imporession than D3, despite the age difference. Just looking at TQ was a pleasure.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I never played TQ so I don't know about it, but the thing that I love so much about Grim Dawn above other ARPGs that I've played is the setting. Making it take place in somewhere around the late 1800s (sometimes it feels like it takes place around WW1 but that I don't actually know) makes it so much more interesting than the standard middle earth deal that is the norm.

Of course the classes being as fun and cool as they are helps a lot but fighting bandits is just a whole lot more fun when they're a Wild West style outlaw gang

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, I was going to play this but after I installed the expansion the game suddenly won't start. I spent the last couple hours looking for fixes, tried like 10 different things and nothing worked. Guess I'll wait a few days for a fix :( Getting home from work only to spend hours trying and failing to troubleshoot your new game sucks

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

watho posted:

I never played TQ so I don't know about it, but the thing that I love so much about Grim Dawn above other ARPGs that I've played is the setting.

in titan quest, you start in classical greece and go through egypt to get to babylon and the far east. there's tremendous environmental variation. you play as an odysseus-type greek hero, which explains why you don't have a pants slot

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

in titan quest, you start in classical greece and go through egypt to get to babylon and the far east. there's tremendous environmental variation. you play as an odysseus-type greek hero, which explains why you don't have a pants slot

Don't forget journeying into the literal greek underworld in the expac.

TQ is well worth playing with the enhanced edition out. It has a slow start if you're an arpg vet, so you can grab a trainer and build a late game char if you want to dig right into the endgame stuff, but regardless, it's a beautifully atmospheric game.

It was clearly made by people with a real love for history and mythology, and it shows everywhere.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I'm considering a lightning-based build with Inquisitor, and debating between going Shaman or Demolitionist. Shaman seems like the more obvious choice, but I am a big fan of Demo for its utility. Any thoughts on how effective the Inquisitor's flamethrower skill is with its lightning/electrocute component, juiced up with Flametouched from the Demo side? Any fire-to-lightning conversion items that could help?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Getting pretty frustrated with the expansion content. If you're not a shield user, you'd better have 15k health, 2500 armor, 3000 OA/DA, and 80% in every resistance at a minimum if you want to live.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Jabarto posted:

Getting pretty frustrated with the expansion content. If you're not a shield user, you'd better have 15k health, 2500 armor, 3000 OA/DA, and 80% in every resistance at a minimum if you want to live.

So you’re saying I should build a two-handed hammer duder with all of my points in prowess and decked out in +move speed gear?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

No, I'm hearing that I should continue leaning ever deeper into this Shaman/Necro attack-damage-as-healing build with a 1h and offhand, where if I'm on the same screen with enemies I'm healing to full constantly. That is my only takeaway here.

Also holy poo poo Ravenous Earth only gets better and better for causing bosses to sublimate directly from flesh to gear.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I'm considering a lightning-based build with Inquisitor, and debating between going Shaman or Demolitionist. Shaman seems like the more obvious choice, but I am a big fan of Demo for its utility. Any thoughts on how effective the Inquisitor's flamethrower skill is with its lightning/electrocute component, juiced up with Flametouched from the Demo side? Any fire-to-lightning conversion items that could help?

I'm doing Inq/Demo with the intent of gunslinging Orwell's Revolvers (and w/e later once I get into the range those aren't working so well anymore). In terms of devotion path I'm aiming for Ultos to maximize +lightning, but there's an awful lot of +Ele and +Fire along the way, so I'm going to end up boosting Fire damage quite a lot, too. And Cold. For gunslinging, I think it might come down to Inq/Demo being more of an AOE beast and Inq/Shaman having a big edge on single-target damage, but I'm not sure about it.

It looks like you're wanting to go more of a caster route, so Inq/Shaman would probably be better to narrow in on lighting skills. If you're wanting to use the flamethrower, Demo would probably be a better secondary. I'm not a fan of click'n'hold abilities, though, so have no idea how well it works.

Edit: Been playing it seat-of-pants so far, but here's what my gearless skill/devotion setup is. I'd appreciate critiques, I'm not super thrilled with the skill setup, especially: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkMgdVJ

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Kind of hard to enjoy a video game about a ravaged environment full of refugees when you’re currently living in one.

'Sup NorCal buddy. Stay safe. Thankfully no new evacuations last night for Santa Rosa, but I'm a bit concerned for the east side of SR given the winds forecasted tonight or that the fires might merge like Voltron into an even more super fire.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Jabarto posted:

If you're not busy tonight and my house isn't burned down, let's tag-team this poo poo! I have a character roughly planned out, that may or may not involve skeletons!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

OK, here's my planned character: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2dRJ5ZJ

The concept:
1. Life Leech poo poo (spell-based, so works on bosses)
2. Proc poo poo
3. Get skeles yo (that scale with player damage bonuses)

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 13, 2017

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

So yeah... Will of Rottosh (devotion, south end of tree) seems super OP. It's a 0 cooldown proc that hits like a truck and lasts 8 seconds.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was excited for going Arcanist/Inquisitor but it seems to suck, I'm just melting in Act 4.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Dr_Gee posted:

I'm doing Inq/Demo with the intent of gunslinging Orwell's Revolvers (and w/e later once I get into the range those aren't working so well anymore). In terms of devotion path I'm aiming for Ultos to maximize +lightning, but there's an awful lot of +Ele and +Fire along the way, so I'm going to end up boosting Fire damage quite a lot, too. And Cold. For gunslinging, I think it might come down to Inq/Demo being more of an AOE beast and Inq/Shaman having a big edge on single-target damage, but I'm not sure about it.

It looks like you're wanting to go more of a caster route, so Inq/Shaman would probably be better to narrow in on lighting skills. If you're wanting to use the flamethrower, Demo would probably be a better secondary. I'm not a fan of click'n'hold abilities, though, so have no idea how well it works.

Edit: Been playing it seat-of-pants so far, but here's what my gearless skill/devotion setup is. I'd appreciate critiques, I'm not super thrilled with the skill setup, especially: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkMgdVJ

I have also gone inq/demo and my impression of it so far is this is a proc based dual pistol build and attack speed is king. Shaman is for rifles. I would drop stun jacks and Word of Pain entirely because not firing your guns is a dps loss. Getting bursting round, Chilling rounds, and Storm spread to 6 is important because that maxes their proc chance at 20%. Deadly Aim is really good and prob needs to be maxed. Vindictive Flame is also really good for the attack speed it gives you, and you'll probably want to max blast shield later. I haven't gotten far enough yet, but my impression is inquisitor seal and arcane empowerment will be great for bosses when you can setup and unload into them.

For gear attack speed >>>> damage abilities that proc on attack> +elemental > +pierce > +phys > individual ele types.

For devotions Bat is really important, it gives life steal and Twin Fangs which are really good with super fast attacks, after that you want to try and work towards opening Assassins Blade, then Rowans Crown and then Blades of Nadaan. After that it's up to you if you want more proc powers/damage or defense. Edit: Falcon is really good too.

Frustrated fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 13, 2017

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've only played a couple hours so it's way way too early to judge but I feel like my dual pistol wielding Pyro is better than Purifier, at least for leveling.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Do attack speed bonuses on dual weapons not stack?

I had one pistol with like +10 attack speed and another with +9, but no matter what combo I put them in (one at a time with empty hand, both, flip hands) I'd only wind up with like 107% attack speed on the character sheet and adding the second pistol wouldn't change anything. :confused:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Fintilgin posted:

Do attack speed bonuses on dual weapons not stack?

I had one pistol with like +10 attack speed and another with +9, but no matter what combo I put them in (one at a time with empty hand, both, flip hands) I'd only wind up with like 107% attack speed on the character sheet and adding the second pistol wouldn't change anything. :confused:

I think you get a 10% attack speed penalty from dual wielding

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So rushing through Normal on a Vindicator is a ton of fun, I just electrocuted Crowley to death at level 19. Is there a list of quests I should hit on my way through? I'm just grabbing the ones that are convenient but I don't want to miss any skill point or inventory bag rewards.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the Grim Dawn trainer of choice for insta-ult chars? Or is there just a save file out there that has a blank slate character?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

So is the inquisitor flamethrower skill kinda poo poo or does it scale well? I’m still really early on and I’m not loving that skill. The rest is really sick though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

all the expac hype and harbinger getting a little old got me to reinstall this. my dude is only like 23 currently but i have an issue that is probably just because i mostly play poe: i am so goddamn slow and it hurts me. can i get 300% movespeed boots at some point? maybe a constellation that has movement skill of some sort?

also i got a loving headhunter in this game last night and it made me laugh and also cry a little.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm terrible with planning builds so I'm just doing a Necro/Shadowblade 2-handed guy.

No idea if this will be viable or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Awesome! posted:

can i get 300% movespeed boots at some point? maybe a constellation that has movement skill of some sort?

i think the max movespeed is like 150% but the highest i've ever seen is like 138. iirc "total speed" also affects both move and attack , so keep an eye out for that modifier.