Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

roh is good, there is just a lack of buzz because of a lack of exciting feuds and matchups. the shows are Not Bad. i think if they want to freshen things up roster wise and make it feel wide open, they should get rid of the television title.

having one singles championship as the focus would help increase the value of singles feuds since they will all be tiered from the championship level down, and it will help increase the number of potential championship matches that you really can't have with that artificial stepping stone of a midcard title. if the tv championship were as protected and treated as strongly as it was during its first couple years, then this argument wouldn't really be as big of a deal, but i mean its been an easily forgotten belt since jay lethal lost it.

their tag division i think is also really strong but is being hampered by the existence of the 6 man belts along with their regular tag titles being featured mid-low on the card (when it very well could be main event level). they currently have access to KES, Briscoes, Young Bucks, MCMG, War Machine, Silas Young and Beer City Bruiser (they are not amazing wrestlers but they are great unique characters and that does matter.), once lucha underground is dead there will be more possible teams they can craft that can help bolster the division.

they should also stop running off good black wrestlers. that will help them in their growth. i think jimmy jacobs, if we can go off of his 2005-2007 writing, should be given a shot with helping book to try and pepper in life to this company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Greatest ROH Champion ever, at a time that he had become the best wrestler in the world (as Clamdigger Danielson plummeted down the rankings)

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
What always drew me to ROH were how well they've done blood feuds, but I don't know that they've really done an outstanding job at them since Steen/Generico since I haven't heard about a hot one since

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

What always drew me to ROH were how well they've done blood feuds, but I don't know that they've really done an outstanding job at them since Steen/Generico since I haven't heard about a hot one since

davey richards vs eddie edwards could have been one i felt. davey vs steen was almost there, but that felt more like steen vs cornette which hurt it. adam cole vs lethal was starting to get there but cole just won the title and lethal kind of petered out like he always does. right now it feels like there isn't that babyface to get behind and thats really something that's missing.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anyone else watch this week's episode of ROH? Is it as good as the review states:

http://www.pwponderings.com/2017/10/11/roh-100717-tv-review-hung-bucks-vs-last-real-men/

Just realised you could watch ROH TV for free on the Fite app in Ireland.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
In line for tonight's ROH show and :lol: everyone but me is wearing BC merch. Smh at no one respecting LIJ :argh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'd probably watch ROH TV more often (when I do catch it it's generally fun, good wrestling and easy to watch), but the local affiliate keeps changing the timeslot like every month and I always forget what time it's supposed to be on.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

In line for tonight's ROH show and :lol: everyone but me is wearing BC merch. Smh at no one respecting LIJ :argh:

Dammit where's your Great Bash Heel shirt!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Welp Mark just killed his elbow

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Man, streamer guy got really fat

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

sportsgenius86 posted:

Man, streamer guy got really fat

Turn on your monitor.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ROH was fun shame Mark Brisco's elbow is completely hosed and they had to cancel that match, I got to meet Suzuki it was just as great as I imagined; sick and tired of BC though and all their dumb BTE memes, will have my mark pics with Hiromu and Suzuki

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

ROH was fun shame Mark Brisco's elbow is completely hosed and they had to cancel that match, I got to meet Suzuki it was just as great as I imagined; sick and tired of BC though and all their dumb BTE memes, will have my mark pics with Hiromu and Suzuki

I sure hate the BC and all of their memes that sold out the tour but the other hot topic stable and all their memes is very fresh along with the very stale old man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I sure hate the BC and all of their memes that sold out the tour but the other hot topic stable and all their memes is very fresh along with the very stale old man.
It was more someone directly behind me yelling in my ear every in joke kind of irked me, that and I don't like watching Cody Rhodes wrestle.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 14, 2017

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah agreed they do suck

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MassRafTer posted:

Matt Taven isn't that old

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Yeah agreed they do suck

SUCK IT!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

His comment was good but your comment was.........

TOO SWEET

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We're on like Year 3 of the Internet going "ugh BC and Bucks are so stale" while they keep getting more popular and selling more merch than ever

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

We're on like Year 3 of the Internet going "ugh BC and Bucks are so stale" while they keep getting more popular and selling more merch than ever

Stale or bad doesn't necessarily equal thing people don't like in droves

See how the Transformers films were big moneymakers except the last one

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I see people who don't even watch wrestling wearing the "______ Club" t-shirts and it's kind of strange

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Newlegacy Inc should send ROH a C&D because Rhett Titus' gimmick is a direct ripoff of Jericho's The Big Dawg character, down to how he talks

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

RealFoxy posted:

I see people who don't even watch wrestling wearing the "______ Club" t-shirts and it's kind of strange

I don't know. I mean, skulls, some bullets?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

weird how some people have aesthetic preferences different from the general public

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Skulls are cool

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I am heavily into amateur phrenology atm.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

Donald Trump proves we got bumper crop of stupid marks right now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Y'all go on for pages and pages about how making money is the only thing that matters in wrestling, and WWE can't attract casual fans these days. Then when someone actually makes money outside of WWE, and attracts casual fans without the WWE machine, they're suddenly "only meme over" or taking advantage of "stupid marks." Give me a break.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Benne posted:

Y'all go on for pages and pages about how making money is the only thing that matters in wrestling, and WWE can't attract casual fans these days. Then when someone actually makes money outside of WWE, and attracts casual fans without the WWE machine, they're suddenly "only meme over" or taking advantage of "stupid marks." Give me a break.
BC have if nothing else demonstrated that dull characters and dull work can draw outside the WWE. In earnest, you could write a lot abt how BC and their particular brand of line-toeing ironic/unironic schtick is very Of 2017. If the dorks who lined up for schezuan sauce ever got it they would have too sweet'd one another. But no way is this forum good enough for such a discussion.

Anyway, New Day are superior on that front bc Black Twitter creates better memes at a faster rate than BC's vids. And if you just wanted good tag team wrestling, well… gotta wait for the revival to come back I'm afraid

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

BC have if nothing else demonstrated that dull characters and dull work can draw outside the WWE. In earnest, you could write a lot abt how BC and their particular brand of line-toeing ironic/unironic schtick is very Of 2017. If the dorks who lined up for schezuan sauce ever got it they would have too sweet'd one another. But no way is this forum good enough for such a discussion.

This is a grossly simplistic dismissal of an act that clearly tapped into something in the culture, outside the confines of pro wrestling fandom. You certainly can't describe them as "dull" given how much attention, sales, and influence they sustained over nearly a half-decade.

That kind of staying power just doesn't happen in regular meme culture, and it's clearly not going away any time soon. If you want a strong, healthy indie wrestling scene, I think it's more instructive to find out how they connected so strongly and build off that, rather than bitch about why they shouldn't connect. Tomorrow's big indie stars sure won't get anywhere if they stick to "the way things should be" instead of focusing on "the way things are heading."

quote:

Anyway, New Day are superior on that front bc Black Twitter creates better memes at a faster rate than BC's vids. And if you just wanted good tag team wrestling, well… gotta wait for the revival to come back I'm afraid

New Day/Usos had by far the best tag team matches of the year, so I don't even know what you're trying to argue here.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Benne posted:

This is a grossly simplistic dismissal of an act that clearly tapped into something in the culture, outside the confines of pro wrestling fandom. You certainly can't describe them as "dull" given how much attention, sales, and influence they sustained over nearly a half-decade.

Yes you can?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Calling the BC's work "dull" is really stupid given The Young Bucks and Omega are the main draws of the BC and their work is the opposite of dull. You can find flaws with their work and maybe not even like it, but dull is the exact opposite word to use.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

RealFoxy posted:

I think you meant to post that in the shit_that_didnt_happen.txt thread.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Basic Chunnel posted:

People like fun wrestlers with a silly act? Oh my god, this is so 2017, it's literally never happened before, now let's all talk about the acts that the bullet club are ripping off who were popular doing the same thing with less wrestling ability throughout history

edit: Cody Rhodes does stink though

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRafTer posted:

Calling the BC's work "dull" is really stupid given The Young Bucks and Omega are the main draws of the BC and their work is the opposite of dull. You can find flaws with their work and maybe not even like it, but dull is the exact opposite word to use.

Oh I like the elite just fine but I don't think it's crazy to find a fairly old gimmick relatively boring

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I think the thing that annoyed me was the constant attempts at "gently caress the Revival" chants, I mean at this point its just kicking someone when they are down.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

achillesforever6 posted:

I think the thing that annoyed me was the constant attempts at "gently caress the Revival" chants, I mean at this point its just kicking someone when they are down.

Honestly, they're the only people still talking about The Revival. It's doing more to keep them relevant than whatever WWE is doing for them

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Troxartas posted:

Honestly, they're the only people still talking about The Revival. It's doing more to keep them relevant than whatever WWE is doing for them
I mean to be fair The Revival has been injured for basically this whole year

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress The Revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

I feel like people that call BC stale forget that Kenny and Marty are also a part of it.

Just say gently caress the Young Bucks. Save time.

• Locked thread