Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm curious if anyone else has tried out Twilight of the Gods, from Victory Point games. I got it from a Kickstarter, and played a demo at Gen Con. It seems interesting, but I haven't had a chance to play much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Funzo posted:

I'm curious if anyone else has tried out Twilight of the Gods, from Victory Point games. I got it from a Kickstarter, and played a demo at Gen Con. It seems interesting, but I haven't had a chance to play much.

Watching the scripted video on the website. Seems ok, is there a reason you posted it in this thread and not the board game thread? Are they planning to release monthly/quarterly expansions?

One thing I dislike about the game is that the Artwork is nice but takes up way too little on the card. and the over all design of the cards could be greatly improved I think.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PaybackJack posted:

Watching the scripted video on the website. Seems ok, is there a reason you posted it in this thread and not the board game thread? Are they planning to release monthly/quarterly expansions?

One thing I dislike about the game is that the Artwork is nice but takes up way too little on the card. and the over all design of the cards could be greatly improved I think.

It does look like they plan for ongoing 50 card regular expansions and 200 card deluxe expansions.

If there weren't so many card games I'm already trying to juggle I'd probably try it just because I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with a mythological theme but the theme doesn't seem heavy enough to draw me in when I'm already invested in 4 other card type games.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Fetterkey posted:

Honestly Seppun Guardsman and Otomo Courtier are quite strong cards, I run them even in a lot of my three-core decks.

I mean, they're not as bad as wandering ronin, but I've never seen one and not wished i had an in-clan character instead

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

alansmithee posted:

It does look like they plan for ongoing 50 card regular expansions and 200 card deluxe expansions.

If there weren't so many card games I'm already trying to juggle I'd probably try it just because I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with a mythological theme but the theme doesn't seem heavy enough to draw me in when I'm already invested in 4 other card type games.

Yes, there's going to be expansions. It's being sold as an LCG.
The theme is pretty irrelevant to the gameplay, to be honest. The factions have different strengths, but they could have named them after Transformers and had the same game. I like the art though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So who's ready for all six dynasty packs in the first cycle of L5R to come out over the course of six WEEKS instead of six months?

Just spent $120 on three cores? Great! Time to immediately spend an additional $90. :suicide:

I'm not even playing, but I feel really bad for our customers and anyone else trying to get into it now. I guess this is supposed to help them line up cycles better with major tournaments or something.

edit: I can't do math.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 11, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

So who's ready for all six dynasty packs in the first cycle of L5R to come out over the course of six WEEKS instead of six months?

Just spent $120 on three cores? Great! Time to immediately spend an additional $150. :suicide:

I'm not even playing, but I feel really bad for our customers and anyone else trying to get into it now. I guess this is supposed to help them line up cycles better with major tournaments or something.

Where did you hear this?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What the gently caress? I just saw that too....

That's definitely not what I signed up for, or the friends I convinced to join me, for that matter...

I feel like this was a rather lovely move. Now that I'm invested turns out I'll need to pay four times what I anticipated to keep up?

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 11, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Where did you hear this?

Official e-mail correspondence from Fantasy Flight Games. I'm sure they'll make an announcement on their website today since they're touting it as a "special event".

Also it's an additional $90 for the six packs, I can't do math. Edited my original post.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 11, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Official e-mail correspondence from Fantasy Flight Games. I'm sure they'll make an announcement on their website today since they're touting it as a "special event".

Also it's an additional $90 for the six packs, I can't do math. Edited my original post.

That's crazy. I don't mind TOO much since core only metas are kinda boring but that's a shitload of money in a short period of time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah nope, I'll add them slowly and not bother with tournaments or official play for a while.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Haha, y'all act like this isn't FFG we're talking about. There's no way they'll be able to keep that kind of deadline. gently caress, they can barely handle 1 pack every 6 weeks.

However if they do manage to pull this off, I'm all for it. I really felt like this was a game they should have come out with Deluxe expansions right out of the gate and after 2-3 were released then switch to the packs.

I wonder how much design concerns went into this as well, like did they feel that each pack was going to significantly change the meta and they realized that it wouldn't so they wanted a shorter window between packs so the environment wouldn't get stale.

Either way, those of you that have local stores where you can buy the product on release should be lucky, there's no distributor for Taiwan and I gotta get everything through Singapore and since shipping is expensive I'll probably have to do these in waves.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'm surprised people are complaining about this. It's a great idea (assuming they aren't just gonna have a 6 month gap after the blitz for the next cycle). Core only gets boring, and getting a large injection of cards that much quickly is great. Besides, if you're really short on cash you can just cherry pick which pack(s) you want based on what cards are in them. Not every pack is gonna have necessities for every clan.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Yeah, this specifically addresses "Core set environment is boring".

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I haven't really looked at L5R that much, but do you really need to buy 3 copies of the core set? Are they all the same? That seems really horrible.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Funzo posted:

I haven't really looked at L5R that much, but do you really need to buy 3 copies of the core set? Are they all the same? That seems really horrible.

1 is way too random for you to get a good feel of how the game will go. If you are really unsure do 2. 3 if you are going to competitions though.

Max fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 11, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PaybackJack posted:

Haha, y'all act like this isn't FFG we're talking about. There's no way they'll be able to keep that kind of deadline. gently caress, they can barely handle 1 pack every 6 weeks.

However if they do manage to pull this off, I'm all for it. I really felt like this was a game they should have come out with Deluxe expansions right out of the gate and after 2-3 were released then switch to the packs.

I wonder how much design concerns went into this as well, like did they feel that each pack was going to significantly change the meta and they realized that it wouldn't so they wanted a shorter window between packs so the environment wouldn't get stale.

I really think they're juggling too many different properties and games right now given their current size and struggle on the logistics and production side.

Like I'm excited about a bunch of different games they've put out or announced recently, but it feels like their design, manufacturing/production & distribution is a zero-sum environment right now, where every new thing they announce directly fucks over or detracts from another of their pre-existing brands.

I have very little confidence in that announcement, they're either not going to live up to their own timeline, it'll suck on the design/development/balance end, or another product is going to suffer as a result of reallocating resources to make this happen.

Like I get what this is meant to address, and given the gripes about core-only gameplay right now it makes sense, I just don't have confidence in their ability as a company to handle it well.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

I'm surprised people are complaining about this. It's a great idea (assuming they aren't just gonna have a 6 month gap after the blitz for the next cycle). Core only gets boring, and getting a large injection of cards that much quickly is great. Besides, if you're really short on cash you can just cherry pick which pack(s) you want based on what cards are in them. Not every pack is gonna have necessities for every clan.

From a store's standpoint, this is a logistical nightmare to have dropped on us on such short notice. No store is going to be sure what the interest in the game looks like from a short- or long-term standpoint since the core set has barely had a week's chance to be in the wild.

There's a strong likelihood of these particular packs going out of print for eight months given FFGs print runs, so being forced to commit to X number of six different packs in the middle of the holiday season is ludicrous.

Basically, this is FFG giving a giant middle finger to the stores (and to a lesser extent the player base) by telling us to, "get it now, or don't and watch your player base die."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why didn't they just drop a deluxe expansion right out the gate or something?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Max posted:

1 is way too random for you to get a good feel of how the game will go. If you are really unsure do 2. 3 if you are going to competitions though.
Is every box the same, or do they have different cards in them? If they're all different, then that makes more sense.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

From a store's standpoint, this is a logistical nightmare to have dropped on us on such short notice. No store is going to be sure what the interest in the game looks like from a short- or long-term standpoint since the core set has barely had a week's chance to be in the wild.

There's a strong likelihood of these particular packs going out of print for eight months given FFGs print runs, so being forced to commit to X number of six different packs in the middle of the holiday season is ludicrous.

Basically, this is FFG giving a giant middle finger to the stores (and to a lesser extent the player base) by telling us to, "get it now, or don't and watch your player base die."

Yeah. Now THIS is something legitimately difficult for stores to forecast on. Especially since some distributors (coughalliancecough) don't even have access to core sets as of yesterday. FFG dropping 6 packs onto the market in 6 weeks will likely result in stores having to order them before they can even get a reasonable number of core sets.

I wonder if this was a FFG decision or if it came down from Asmodee. Or if their printers went crazy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

Is every box the same, or do they have different cards in them? If they're all different, then that makes more sense.

Every box is the same, but it only has 1 of most cards. You can include 3 of any given card in a deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Funzo posted:

Every LCG product is identical. The L5R core set is mostly single copies or cards. Since a constructed deck can have 3x of a card to get a playset requires 3 core sets.

Again, this is the option out of three that they chose.

They could have done a much smaller card pool in triplicate and kept cost the same. They could've made the card pool they chose in triplicate and nearly tripled the price.

Arguing about this was already a dead horse when Android: Netrunner was released.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love that they're releasing the packs a lot faster, as each cycle is designed as a whole and split up somewhat arbitrarily with some factions getting screwed for months because their key cards are released in the 5th/6th packs. I wish all LCGs were on a similar release schedule. Though at the same time, part of the fun of the LCG model is slowly tweaking decks 1-2 cards at a time because of the slower drip feed of cards. I think this is still a much better launch strategy for the game and the competitive scene.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I love that they're releasing the packs a lot faster, as each cycle is designed as a whole and split up somewhat arbitrarily with some factions getting screwed for months because their key cards are released in the 5th/6th packs. I wish all LCGs were on a similar release schedule. Though at the same time, part of the fun of the LCG model is slowly tweaking decks 1-2 cards at a time because of the slower drip feed of cards. I think this is still a much better launch strategy for the game and the competitive scene.

Personally I'd rather they drop them as a big box, or simultaneously, every six months or so. BUT, and it's a big but (and I cannot lie) they need to be consistent. And open with shop owners. Changing it up during the initial hype building phase is a Bad Thing, for reasons explained earlier.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love this release schedule. If you have already picked a Clan and want to stay with them after the first set of Role choices then you may only need a couple of the packs.

Sucks a bit for me as I'm a best and/or most fun faction mercenary but I'll manage.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Pinwiz11 posted:

I love this release schedule. If you have already picked a Clan and want to stay with them after the first set of Role choices then you may only need a couple of the packs.

Sucks a bit for me as I'm a best and/or most fun faction mercenary but I'll manage.

It'd be a bit more tenable if each pack were for 1 clan, and they had 7. But then stores might have oversupply issues with unpopular clans.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Quick release schedule is no bad thing tbh. Netrunner nearly died because of how long the core set environment stagnated with the terribly limited card pool.

Though I'm not playing either way. Just can't see spending so much cash on the game.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I don't agree it hurts the player base, but I do see your point about the effect it has on stores.

On top of the doubts that some have mentioned about being able to keep the aggressive schedule (which are valid), I can understand how it would be hard to plan when the base game's only been out a couple of weeks and now you have to try to place orders for the packs every week. That said, I think (and I believe they mention this in the release) they're trying to actually capitalize on the initial success and keep it going by pushing a bunch more cards out quicker than they have done in the past. You'll also have black friday and christmas for potential ways of mitigating the financial cost for those who would care. Netrunner, AGoT, and especially poor, poor Star Wars LCG suffered due to stagnation in the environment from just having a core set and the initial trickle of packs, so I'm hopeful they've done some research and figured this will help boost growth and retain people.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Quick release schedule is no bad thing tbh. Netrunner nearly died because of how long the core set environment stagnated with the terribly limited card pool.

Though I'm not playing either way. Just can't see spending so much cash on the game.

If ANR had gone

Month 1: Core Set
Month 2: Data Pack #1
Month 3: Data Pack #2
Etc

Then it would have been a better release.

ANR going
Day Zero: Core Set
Month 1, Week 1: Data Pack #1
Month 1, Week 2: Data Pack #2

It would have likely been worse than the long silence we got. Whether or not the feeling is justified this is going to leave a bad taste like Day Zero DLC for a lot of people, stores included.

In the past, stores were able to pick up core sets and try to organically grow a player base during that initial lull. If the players didn't materialize then they simply wouldn't stock the packs when they came out months later.

Now they have to figure out if a player base is going to form before they can get enough core set copies to develop a player base.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really think this stems more from a desire to have a cycle or two fully complete and out in the wild for major tournaments, rather than having tournaments land awkwardly in the middle of a cycle.

L5R was probably orignally meant to release sooner than October, giving them time to trickle packs out as normal for the LCG model. A later-than-intended release probably hosed up their OP plans, so they shotgunned the packs out to make up for it.

I agree that for the initial life of the game, it's better to have a faster release so that it doesn't stagnate. Letting the tap open a bit more than usual is great, but smashing the barrel open was probably not the smartest choice. I worry that this will cause supply issues from stores over-ordering product in fear of missing out on their chance for their customers when the demand for that amount might not be there. It seems like they're taking the lessons of previous LCGs' initial release schedules and Star Wars Destiny's undersupplied release last year and applying a solution that covers both of those issues while creating entirely new issues to sort out.

I genuinely think it all comes down to FFG being woefully unprepared to commit to a serious and meaningful OP schedule. Is it time for an FFG emote similar to :dice:?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Otoh, getting the first round of new Keepers and Seekers out ASAP is a good thing.

My flgs just got another batch of Cores in after selling out, my hope is that FFG finally have fixed the distribution iss-:laffo:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If L5R ends up staying as big as the release schedule announcement said it was, I really hope FFG hires a dedicated OP person or two because they've really hosed up some big AGoT tournaments lately and that game isn't even huge.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

If L5R ends up staying as big as the release schedule announcement said it was, I really hope FFG hires a dedicated OP person or two because they've really hosed up some big AGoT tournaments lately and that game isn't even huge.

Hahahaha oh you kidder you.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

L5R people gonna know sooner than later that FFG OP is bozoville.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Man I am really intrigued by L5R but three cores is another big investment and I already have four AgoT Cores that are sitting around I'm not playing at all. Why, LCGs, why

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Quidthulhu posted:

Man I am really intrigued by L5R but three cores is another big investment and I already have four AgoT Cores that are sitting around I'm not playing at all. Why, LCGs, why

Why four tho?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Carteret posted:

Why four tho?

Cause I wanted to have several starter decks on hand to try to get my friends into it with a wide variety of pick up and play. That obviously didn't work since only one of my friends every played it with me, but I have some nice decks put together I guess?

e: basically I just wanted to have every house available and ready to go at any given time, I was really in to GoT ok :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This year's Shadowfist LCG release, A Better Tomorrow, went live yesterday. Anyone who wants to get in, there's no better time: they're doing a fire sale on the old product including the base game, so you can make a no reward pledge and get Combat in Kowloon and Back For Seconds for $30.

Come to the Shadow Side. We have cyborg koala bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Maybe I've just been spoiled by FFG but the art and the layout of those cards puts me off completely.