Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imweasel09
May 26, 2014

misguided rage posted:

Is there a way to set the template of your ruler as a machine race? He ended up as a mining bot instead of the upgraded version of my base species.

Apparently they're keyed to specific pops so you could in theory robo mod planet by planet until you hit the right one. In practice no and hopefully at some point that changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

But then I wouldn't get to be enigmatic for a couple more weeks!

You have been hanging around vorlons too much, haven't you?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Wiz posted:

But then I wouldn't get to be enigmatic for a couple more weeks!

Wiz pplease fix transport names it's killing me

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Wiz pplease fix transport names it's killing me

Wiz please don't fix me being able to eat robots as a Devouring Swarm because it's hilarious.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Wiz please don't fix me being able to eat robots as a Devouring Swarm because it's hilarious.

Looks like someone is getting their iron AND eating enough fiber!

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Now that I'm everything that's left, how does multiplayer and dlc imbalances work?

if I have synth dawn and one friend has utopia and another has nothing because he's a poor, how does that all jive up in the multiplayer?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

McGiggins posted:

Now that I'm everything that's left, how does multiplayer and dlc imbalances work?

if I have synth dawn and one friend has utopia and another has nothing because he's a poor, how does that all jive up in the multiplayer?

You can play machine empires and use robomodding, but everyone has a core sector governor and factions. Anyone can collect unity for traditions, but you need the Utopia expansion to get ascension perks after finishing a tree, etc.

If you have the expansions and they don't, you'll have a big advantage.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Unbalanced as gently caress, I like it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

Unbalanced as gently caress, I like it.

Whatever DLC the host has active, the others seemingly get access to. Not sure how it works the other way around

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It is pretty nice that Determined Exterminators, Driven Assimilators and a regular Machine Intelligence can federate up (all in red) as a response to 5 major organic empires doing so for some reason. It's not our fault, I think, as only the regular machine intelligence has even been to war and both of those wars ended in white peace.

Also, we must be the most space efficient federation, judging by our name :smuggo:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

wiegieman posted:

You can play machine empires and use robomodding, but everyone has a core sector governor and factions. Anyone can collect unity for traditions, but you need the Utopia expansion to get ascension perks after finishing a tree, etc.

If you have the expansions and they don't, you'll have a big advantage.

That's not how it works at all. Everyone uses whatever DLC the host has.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wiz posted:

Well, that's me told then.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Wiz posted:

So, technically speaking you can try out new DLC in a multiplayer environment?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

IAmTheRad posted:

So, technically speaking you can try out new DLC in a multiplayer environment?

Yes.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Well, that's me told then.

It's the same in EU4, CK2 and HOI4.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I killed the ether drake in my singleplayer game like over 100 years ago and built the station on over Dragon's Hoard and I still haven't had either event :negative:
Also I really, really wish we had at least a combat history tab, if not a full ledger. I've totally forgotten when some events happened. Only reason I know I did the ether drake over 100 years ago is the age of the admiral I used to kill the thing

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

kaffo posted:

I killed the ether drake in my singleplayer game like over 100 years ago and built the station on over Dragon's Hoard and I still haven't had either event :negative:

The mtth on these are excessive. Don't know why the armour is particular isn't just a research project on the dragon's corpse like the other Leviathans.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Wiz posted:

That's an extremely generous system, especially when it might cost you some dlc sales.

Please give everyone at job-place a hearty, yet awkward thumbs up for me.I will ensure that one of us buys the full set of DLC for our game.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Aethernet posted:

The mtth on these are excessive. Don't know why the armour is particular isn't just a research project on the dragon's corpse like the other Leviathans.

Yeah, not really sure either. I guess the design decision was the rewards were too good for the point that you beat up the drake, so just stick on a stupid mtth and it'll come up one day
I just kinda wish I had some way to know the event wasn't outright broken. Stick a countdown in my special projects or something, I dunno

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The rewards from the other Leviathans are comparable in utility (especially early jump drives) so it can't be a question of armour level 6 being particularly game-breaking.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall actually fighting a drake, but i still got the scales. All I know is something ran into my 400k "Go away AE Fleet" and then there was debris which gave me tech options :v:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

That's a fair point, it seems a bit strange. The automated dreadnaught is really great too and you get that right after a long-ish research project. That's a drop in the ocean to a 2200 mtth

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

McGiggins posted:

I don't recall actually fighting a drake, but i still got the scales. All I know is something ran into my 400k "Go away AE Fleet" and then there was debris which gave me tech options :v:

You don't need to kill the drake for either of its rewards, you just need to own the Hoard when its events pop. And yeah, I agree they take waaay too long.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chalks posted:

Border range calculations look different. Like the borders are following the hyperlanes perhaps?

It doesn't really look distance-based at all, but rather adjacency-based. In that screenshot, I think the player owns Sol, and the other two stars are covered because they're next to Sol. Rather than semi-arbitrary distances, the new calculation looks more like "extend to cover all the stars directly adjacent to this one". The distance between stars seems a little more standardized than currently, too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I decided to play an Assimilation robot empire.
I found a nice 23 tile planet that had primitives on it.

Their resistance was futile. They were assimilated.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've never done a psionic ascension path game and am thinking of checking it out. Is it fun? Aside from picking spiritualist, is there a particular build that is good for it? Anything I should make sure to do/not do?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

I've never done a psionic ascension path game and am thinking of checking it out. Is it fun? Aside from picking spiritualist, is there a particular build that is good for it? Anything I should make sure to do/not do?

If a tooltip says not to do something you should totally do it!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Going Fanatic Pacifist plus spiritual will give you loads of unity from Agrarian Idyll, which you can use to get into the Shroud quickly. Once you've got the cool toys from it you can embrace something else and go on a purging spree.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Aethernet posted:

Going Fanatic Pacifist plus spiritual will give you loads of unity from Agrarian Idyll, which you can use to get into the Shroud quickly. Once you've got the cool toys from it you can embrace something else and go on a purging spree.

Are there other good combos that work well? I'm just finishing up a Fanatic Pacifist/Materialist game so I'd like to mix it up a little more.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Bold Robot posted:

Are there other good combos that work well? I'm just finishing up a Fanatic Pacifist/Materialist game so I'd like to mix it up a little more.

Egal/Mat/Mil is fun if not quite minmaxed to hell.

Hives are also loving solid now with a combo of the Adaptation Tradition (More bio points, more unity from planet types, Minerals From Farms ugggh so good) and not having to be InwardPerf to get it.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 13, 2017

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

You can go Fanatic Xenophobe plus spiritual and Purify your way into the Shroud too, for a rather different game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playstation 4 posted:

Egal/Mat/Mil is fun if not quite minmaxed to hell.

Hives are also loving solid now with a combo of the Adaptation Tradition (More bio points, more unity from planet types, Minerals From Farms ugggh so good) and not having to be InwardPerf to get it.

Sorry, see my post above - I'm asking specifically about trying the spiritual ascension path. I know there are other combos that work well in general.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

Build wise, I highly recommend Inward Perfection, meaning Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist, and then once you're done four Tradition trees and have the Shroud available shift away from Pacifism for better warfare options.

And the Shroud is the absolute best. You get all sorts of special bonuses, like Psi Jump Drives and Psionic Shields, and then just last night a kindly Shroud being gave me +25% empire wide mineral and energy production, and while there's clearly a cost to be paid, I'm sure it's nothing bad!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

PittTheElder posted:

Build wise, I highly recommend Inward Perfection, meaning Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Pacifist, and then once you're done four Tradition trees and have the Shroud available shift away from Pacifism for better warfare options.

And the Shroud is the absolute best. You get all sorts of special bonuses, like Psi Jump Drives and Psionic Shields, and then just last night a kindly Shroud being gave me +25% empire wide mineral and energy production, and while there's clearly a cost to be paid, I'm sure it's nothing bad!

How does one pull off an ethics shift?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

You could also roll fanatic pacifist to get Agrarian Idyll on top of Inward Perfection to rush unity even harder, then ethics shift away from pacifism.

Knowing that psi gives some really good evasion boosts, has anyone tried testing evasion fleets? Is there merit to such a build?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One really nasty thing I discovered while Ethos shifting though: if you open the Adaptability tree while a Purifier/Inwards Perfectionist, and then drop that civic, it transmutes itself back into the far worse Diplomatic tree. Same thing for Purity/Domination. Wiz plz fix.

Bold Robot posted:

How does one pull off an ethics shift?

In your Factions menu, select one of the factions there (if you mouseover the icon it'll tell you exactly which Ethos they espouse) and click 'Embrace'. It costs 500 influence, you'll shift one step towards that ethos, and whichever state ethos you have that has the least support amongst your population (rates are displayed along the top) will be dropped.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Beefeater1980 posted:

This looks very exciting, incautiously optimistic.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox General: This looks very exciting, incautiously optimistic.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

One really nasty thing I discovered while Ethos shifting though: if you open the Adaptability tree while a Purifier/Inwards Perfectionist, and then drop that civic, it transmutes itself back into the far worse Diplomatic tree. Same thing for Purity/Domination. Wiz plz fix.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? The entire reason those trees change in the first place is that the Adaptability and Purity trees are for non-diplomatic civs, and Diplomacy/Domination are for diplomatic civs. Keeping the traditions from one when changing to the other doesn't seem to make any sense?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish we had a big list of like 20 traditions trees to pick from when making our country like when setting up a eu4 custom country. I have no intention of ever enduring the federation mechnics in this game, so the whole diplomacy tree is almost entirely useless. There's a few other picks in other trees which are absolutely useless as well, like the harmony unrest reduction or private colony ships. Would so love to set up my own custom trees that actually apply to my space country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Now that the galaxy's filled and nobody seems to need influence anymore, AI empires are changing their governments like underwear.

Every time I open the map, the [Whatever] Empire has changed to the [Whatever] Hierarchy or the Blessed [Whatever] Kingdom. Don't do that too much, guys, you'll grow hair on your palms/tentacles/whatever.

• Locked thread