Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

glam rock hamhock posted:

Video games alone have so many generic, dull as hell protaganists that don't even talk because some game makers for some reason think that that a character having a personality will ruin immersion that saying Geralt is the dullest you've ever seen just seems ludicrous to me. Like the fps genre alone makes it impossible to even put him in the top 500.

Nobody gives a poo poo about the story in FPS games though, you're just there to shoot things. It'd be nice if they were written well but the plot is almost always ignored in favor of focusing on gameplay.

If I'm going to sit down and play a 100+ hour RPG then I better be able to like the protagonist. Geralt is too boring for me to commit to playing those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now tails adventure DX, that'll be a good loving game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaG-qRG1so

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Internet Kraken posted:

If I'm going to sit down and play a 100+ hour RPG then I better be able to like the protagonist. Geralt is too boring for me to commit to playing those games.

goferchan posted:

I probably bring it up a lot but Geralt owns, his cluelessness is really charming. He's good at fighting and loving but not really anything else and it shows when he spends the entire game either getting manipulated into killing monsters & then getting shorted on pay or being used as a sex toy by powerful sorceresses. One of my favorite lines in the game comes pretty early when the gay woodsman talks about being exiled from town for his "unnatural proclivities" and Geralt is like, ah, lycanthropy.... it's not easy, but cures are possible.

He's handsome and he's really good at killing poo poo but his social development is incredibly stunted and it makes for a really funny subversion of the usual cool RPG protagonist power fantasy. He's a good guy at heart but he's also just a big dumb monster-slaying jock & there is something very lovable about that to me
👆👆👆

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't know what you want me to say. I've watched footage of all 3 Witcher games and my reoccurring thought in every single one is "this guy is so loving boring". You literally describe him as "good at fighting and loving" but little else and think that's a great selling point?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Geralt is primarily a way to interact with all the other characters in the game who are all really well-written and have interesting interactions with him. Good character writing is defined not just by positive attributes but also by their flaws. It just seems weird to completely dismiss the whole range of storytelling going on because of "white guy"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

now tails adventure DX, that'll be a good loving game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaG-qRG1so

That's the game that was a sorta weird metroid-esque thing yeah? If so, that'd be cool yeah.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out that if you just watch disconnected footage of a game you might miss out on the nuances of a character and his relationships with other characters

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played the The Witcher 3, I'm sure its a fine game at whatever it is that it does, but literally nothing in that goferchan post sounds at all subversive. Like everything in that post also describes Goku from Dragon Ball, even down to random sorceress women wanting to bed him.

Not being subversive isn't the same as being bad though, of course.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't know what you want me to say. I've watched footage of all 3 Witcher games and my reoccurring thought in every single one is "this guy is so loving boring". You literally describe him as "good at fighting and loving" but little else and think that's a great selling point?
Well, I guess it's just agree to disagree here. At least watch this late game Witcher 3 quest cuz he's preeeeetty drat good here.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

Turns out that if you just watch disconnected footage of a game you might miss out on the nuances of a character and his relationships with other characters

Hmm, wind’s howling.

The early conversation about war with the writer who teaches you Gwent really sets the stage in a powerful way, and of course, you can’t not talk about the Bloody Baron quest line. Even if Geralt isn’t your thing, the characters you meet along the way are absolutely top notch writing and voice acting.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im gonna have my cake and eat it too by pirating shadow of war

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/918588012119826432

Bioware might finally be dead?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And nothing of value was lost.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My face is tired hearing about Bioware going to the dogs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I used to like BioWare and tbh the only games of theirs I've not had any fun with were Dragon Age 2 and ME Andromeda. It's a shame we never got a Jade Empire sequel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I beat The Evil Within 2 in nearly the amount of time between when it was released and about 5 minutes ago, with a short break for dinner. I am too tired to type an entire second post about how utterly 100% satisfied I am with it as a sequel so here I'll just quote my own post from my own thread

CJacobs posted:

And, 12 hours of gameplay later, I've done it. I played it on nightmare and died a dozen or so times, And honestly I think the only reason it didn't take me longer and didn't result in more misery is because I have played the first one so much. Nightmare definitely was appropriately challenging.

What an utterly fantastic game! I'll have more to say about it probably tomorrow after I've gotten some sleep but man, I am on top of the mountain right now. This game was exactly what I wanted out of a sequel to the first and more! Super excited to jump back in and go for the obligatory insane completionist run.

edit: Also, the game made me weepy a couple times! I'm very impressed they managed to do so loving much with Seb's family given how little mention they got in the first game! I won't spoil anything for a few days but I definitely will be using this thread to vent about how happy I am with it!!

Play The Evil Within 2 if you even so much as kinda liked the first one, especially if you are one of those people who said "I would have liked it if it were more coherent". This game is for you. It is for me. It is for anyone who has ever enjoyed but was either satisfied OR disappointed by the first game. It is an improvement in nearly every possible way with some newly added downsides so negligible that they barely even make a dent in how rock solid of a video game it is.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 13, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Geralt is primarily a way to interact with all the other characters in the game who are all really well-written and have interesting interactions with him. Good character writing is defined not just by positive attributes but also by their flaws. It just seems weird to completely dismiss the whole range of storytelling going on because of "white guy"

I think by the time TW3 rolled around even CDPR tacitly acknowledged that Geralt was kind of boring and so went to great lengths to make everything in the story not be about him. In fact the whole meta-narrative of the game is that Geralt is becoming obsolete and the world is getting tired of steely muscle dudes with magic dicks.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For me it's the opposite, Geralt is a big reason why I enjoy The Witcher. Not that a different protagonist couldn't work, but as far as I'm concerned he fits the games perfectly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Geralt's cool because his world is lovely and full of awful people but he's like 'just tryna do my job here man, just wanna stab a headslasher and get paid' and no one will let him.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Witcher’s fine and all, but I think we’re good on fantasy worlds full of lovely people atm, it’s pretty fatiguing

I guess by “we” I really just mean me, Game of Thrones is still setting records I think

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I don't think I can/should play VN's after working.
I've tried to play Umineko after work the last 4 days. Each time I have fallen asleep after 30-40 minutes.
It is not boring. It's really good.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Kanfy posted:

For me it's the opposite, Geralt is a big reason why I enjoy The Witcher. Not that a different protagonist couldn't work, but as far as I'm concerned he fits the games perfectly.

With a different protagonist, the game would become more about them, and less about the world. And it's a kickass world.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wouldn't mind a look at your stock

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

oddium posted:

wouldn't mind a look at your stock

Care for a round of gwent?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sefal posted:

I don't think I can/should play VN's after working.
I've tried to play Umineko after work the last 4 days. Each time I have fallen asleep after 30-40 minutes.
It is not boring. It's really good.
What part of Umineko are you at?

Because I mean some parts of it are just kind of slow IMO, though that's bound to happen I guess when you literally have more text than War & Peace.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

What part of Umineko are you at?

Because I mean some parts of it are just kind of slow IMO, though that's bound to happen I guess when you literally have more text than War & Peace.

episode 2 day 1

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Has anyone played the big ol' God of War collection on PS3? It has GOW1-3 and two PSP titles. I played GoW1 a few times back in the day and never got through GoW2 because of a scratched disc.

I realized I missed out on tons of PS3 games and now they're all super cheap. I'm looking at this collection for $15, RDR for $6, and Last of Us for $10ish.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wildtortilla posted:

Has anyone played the big ol' God of War collection on PS3? It has GOW1-3 and two PSP titles. I played GoW1 a few times back in the day and never got through GoW2 because of a scratched disc.

I realized I missed out on tons of PS3 games and now they're all super cheap. I'm looking at this collection for $15, RDR for $6, and Last of Us for $10ish.

I've played the PS2 games on there but not the PSP ones, the ports are fine if that's what you're asking?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I've played the PS2 games on there but not the PSP ones, the ports are fine if that's what you're asking?

Yea sorry I forgot to finish my thoughts. I'm curious if the ports work okay and that nothing funky happens with the games, for example huge load times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not that I remember, they're pretty much exactly the same.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Care for a round of gwent?

*nods sagely*

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i couldn't care less about whether the game's protagonist is a guy or a lady or under four feet tall or morbidly obese or whatever just lord deliver me from games where they're under the age of 25 thanks

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Rare is the game that stars children and stays appropriate. Earthbound is the example that comes to mind because it never fully divorces itself from the theme of being a kid on an adventure. You still call your dad to save, you still get homesick, and even at its most dramatic it still weighs your childhood as your defining characteristic.

I like more fleshed out protagonists, and since teens are usually orphans or top-of-their-class recruits, adults who have had the chance to have a family have the posibility to be the most interesting heroes. We've seen a lot of dads in gaming, I want to see more moms take the center stage.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I beat The Evil Within 2 in nearly the amount of time between when it was released and about 5 minutes ago, with a short break for dinner. I am too tired to type an entire second post about how utterly 100% satisfied I am with it as a sequel so here I'll just quote my own post from my own thread

Play The Evil Within 2 if you even so much as kinda liked the first one, especially if you are one of those people who said "I would have liked it if it were more coherent". This game is for you. It is for me. It is for anyone who has ever enjoyed but was either satisfied OR disappointed by the first game. It is an improvement in nearly every possible way with some newly added downsides so negligible that they barely even make a dent in how rock solid of a video game it is.

I had loads of issues with the first in everything from pacing, framerate, annoying nature of needing to always be either stealth or action fullbore, but I'm glad to hear that they've improved it in every way. I'm tapped out with Mordor and Mario but I'll def consider this for the holidays now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

Rare is the game that stars children and stays appropriate. Earthbound is the example that comes to mind because it never fully divorces itself from the theme of being a kid on an adventure. You still call your dad to save, you still get homesick, and even at its most dramatic it still weighs your childhood as your defining characteristic.

I like more fleshed out protagonists, and since teens are usually orphans or top-of-their-class recruits, adults who have had the chance to have a family have the posibility to be the most interesting heroes. We've seen a lot of dads in gaming, I want to see more moms take the center stage.

coincidentally witcher 3 has one of the absolute best moms in gaming ever called yennefer and to no one's surprise half the game's fanbase absolutely hates her guts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i couldn't care less about whether the game's protagonist is a guy or a lady or under four feet tall or morbidly obese or whatever just lord deliver me from games where they're under the age of 25 thanks

Fat videogame protagonists:
earl from toejam and earl

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the saddest moment in games is when you and yen beat up a genie to unbind your fates and she goes yeah i still love you and you can tell her the magic is gone

but if you do that you go to real world prison

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cowcaster posted:

Catherine is my favourite Atlus game solely because a well into adulthood jerkass made for an interesting, different protagonist.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The reason most protests are young is that once you hit 25 most peoples lives are just done for the next 40 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so is the new south park game supposed to be any good or what

• Locked thread