Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

PenguinSalsa posted:

That's the joke :v: (Sorry, should have linked to that article instead.) I'm all for getting weird knockoffs though.

Or this. "Doubts of viability of aircraft" should be the title of the next procurement round.

That article led me to this and now I'm convinced this is the perfect plane for the Hired Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grizzwold posted:

That article led me to this and now I'm convinced this is the perfect plane for the Hired Goons.

:fap: I want a wing of those and the Berkut

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Grizzwold posted:

I love the dude's justification for the bomb on the top of the plane: "Well where else was I supposed to put it?"

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr. Snark posted:

I love the dude's justification for the bomb on the top of the plane: "Well where else was I supposed to put it?"

That's going to lead to some serious "hold my beer and watch this" piloting

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Grizzwold posted:

That looks like a cross between some kind of anime nonsense and a ten year old's fever dream. We need it.

I kind of want to build one and paint it in the Hired Goons' colours.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 12, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

That's going to lead to some serious "hold my beer and watch this" piloting

. . . you were in a 4G inverted dive with a MiG-28?"

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any other games like the shipbuilding/warfighting game? Are there any based around planes?

Rule the Waves, if you're into WW1 era politics, botes, and battleship design. Casemates 4ever.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yooper posted:

Rule the Waves, if you're into WW1 era politics, botes, and battleship design. Casemates 4ever.

the RtW thread that got linked earlier is amazing. Drunken Kaiser Wilhelm ranting about light cruisers being crap was awesome.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hexenritter posted:

the RtW thread that got linked earlier is amazing. Drunken Kaiser Wilhelm ranting about light cruisers being crap was awesome.

We need our own Kaiser Wilhelm except sometimes I think it's just Jack.

He's just too competent for it, though. Too many good arms, too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would have tried ditching terciary batteries entirely in favor of torpedoes. One battleship got a hit with a torpedo, QED it's completely valid and will always work.

Were torpedo casements a thing?

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 13, 2017

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

RandomPauI posted:

We're torpedo casements a thing?

Kinda

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

RandomPauI posted:

I would have tried ditching terciary batteries entirely in favor of torpedoes. One battleship got a hit with a torpedo, QED it's completely valid and will always work.

Yeah. Experience wise, I've got a post on the magical concept of the torpedo battleship (sadly obsoleted by the battlecruiser) somewhere.

In reality, underwater torpedo tubes sucked on battleships.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

The beautiful irony of that rant is that the goon-designed Berlin-class protected cruiser (hugely overgunned with twin 8" turrets fore and aft - CLs usually mount a bunch of single 6" guns) turned out to basically define "terror of the seas" for most of its existence. :v:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Arguing about procurement is my favorite part of this LP. Hopefully I can survive long enough to have Yooper put me in a sexier French aircraft.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Realbarrow posted:

The beautiful irony of that rant is that the goon-designed Berlin-class protected cruiser (hugely overgunned with twin 8" turrets fore and aft - CLs usually mount a bunch of single 6" guns) turned out to basically define "terror of the seas" for most of its existence. :v:

Yeah, it was super expensive but it completely dominated in its niche. It had an armored cruiser's guns and a light cruiser's speed and range. It was the battlecruiser concept writ small. Fisher's mistake with the battlecruiser may have been making them as big as they were, the Berlins could cope with an AC, and dominated everything else with any range; just about the perfect sea control vessels.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

RandomPauI posted:

I'm reminded of the Furutaka, and what the designer begged the IJN to not do to it, and then how it died.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 13, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Confirming Sunday for the mission. Likely around the times posted below. I've run this scenario so many times and made so many script revisions(fixes) I'm now up to version 93.

Stream watching people : Please remind me to both hit record and to clear the losses and expenditures.

Also prepare yourselves for... PROCUREMENT!

This will be a combination package. Each supplier will have a CORE offering. Some of the suppliers will have optional offerings as well. Not all suppliers will offer the good stuff, nor is the cost at a significant bonus for all suppliers. More to come, but representatives from BFLM, K&P and Ivanov have been plying Herbert with Cristal and girls from the BeanSnappers on US-34.

Look at that smile. Dude is happy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And of course, this is coincinding with my trip to I don't think I can watch the mission on a phone, but if I don't, I'll have a 300 post backlog once I get back!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Good luck, Hired Goons. It looks like you're going to need it.

https://youtu.be/rWPp7EcJOy4

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

EDIT: Crossposted a question about which Russian planes are at which base from Discord. Answer is below.

[5:02 PM] Yooper: weird, Discord won't send the russian names
[5:02 PM] Yooper: Klyuchi is support
[5:03 PM] Yooper: Yelizovo is combat aircraft

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 13, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bacarruda posted:

Lol, welp, we sure poked the bear.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Should we shoot of a message to Halsey that we heard rumors that more Russians vessels are inbound?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Bacarruda posted:

The real question is, do you drink vodka or gin martinis?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We're still on track for Davin Valkri's Ultima Weapon in about 14 hours. We will be going into a deadly theater where the bulk of the Russian Pacific Fleet is just a SAM away. The stakes are higher than ever : St. Lawrence Island and then maybe Alaska itself. If we can get the Russians to turn around we'll not only prevent an escalation but also earn ourselves the good will of the US Navy. It will be bloody. It will be filled with explosions. It may even be the end of the Gripen Wing as we know it.

Prepare yourselves Hired Goons. Ultima Weapon is upon us.

Twitch : https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCiOYtWCdFz_b8BL-AWaaMzg

After that will be a theater teaser and then procurement.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yooper posted:

We're still on track for Davin Valkri's Ultima Weapon in about 14 hours . . .

Sounds like a perfect Sunday morning; Lady Grey Tea, Strawberries, and Death on the High Seas.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Well this one is running at 3am my time so looks like I'll miss all the action. I'll look forward to being bewildered and disheartened tomorrow when I wake up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

All these plans for there to be a future seem odd considering we're all going to die.

(I kid)

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yooper posted:

We're still on track for Davin Valkri's Ultima Weapon in about 14 hours. We will be going into a deadly theater where the bulk of the Russian Pacific Fleet is just a SAM away. The stakes are higher than ever : St. Lawrence Island and then maybe Alaska itself. If we can get the Russians to turn around we'll not only prevent an escalation but also earn ourselves the good will of the US Navy. It will be bloody. It will be filled with explosions. It may even be the end of the Gripen Wing as we know it.

I can't loving wait.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, this poo poo legitimately merits Mobius.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, this poo poo legitimately merits Mobius.

I know that I'm going to be blasting Megalith during the stream because I'd be hard-pressed to find a better time to use that track than this op.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean we are up against actual Yellows and we are trying to (sort of) prevent a world war. This is an audacious, dangerous mission that if it succeeds, rightly makes Hayard-Gunnes legends.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Dr. Snark posted:

I know that I'm going to be blasting Megalith during the stream because I'd be hard-pressed to find a better time to use that track than this op.

It really is an amazing song and fits the situation perfectly

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Great, now I can't stop picturing Herbert Kornfeld as an former USAF aircraft mechanic who's pissed at everyone stealing poo poo from his toolbox.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So I found out about this http://fortune.com/2017/10/07/marvel-comics-cancels-northrop-grumman-avengers-crossover/

I would assume this goes through in the Hired Goons timeline. Question is, what would it mean for a Disney PMC if/when we fight them?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

That whole thing reminds me of that Schlock Mercenary storyline where Tagon's Toughs get a cartoon about them.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Dreamsicle posted:

So I found out about this http://fortune.com/2017/10/07/marvel-comics-cancels-northrop-grumman-avengers-crossover/

I would assume this goes through in the Hired Goons timeline. Question is, what would it mean for a Disney PMC if/when we fight them?

The same thing it has always meant for Disney; profit margin, buying out any entities that would compliment its existing portfolio, ruthless efficiency in cutting under-performing assets, and PROFIT MARGIN.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

CourValant posted:

The same thing it has always meant for Disney; profit margin, buying out any entities that would compliment its existing portfolio, ruthless efficiency in cutting under-performing assets, and PROFIT MARGIN.

So does this mean if Disney offers a job do we work for them or not?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

wedgekree posted:

So does this mean if Disney offers a job do we work for them or not?

I don't think its much of a choice if the decision is to either fly for or against Disney.

Take on Russia and China? No sweat, not even worried about it.

Piss off the Mouse? Nah-uh.

To date no one has crossed 'Mickey' and survived to tell the tale; if they can get Red China to play ball and allow them to run TWO theme parks under Disney 'rules', what do you think they'll do to the Hired Goons?

Besides, I will not be denied the opportunity to write:

Operation: Fantasia

Operation: Aurora

Operation: I Fight For The Users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

Night10194 posted:

I mean we are up against actual Yellows and we are trying to (sort of) prevent a world war. This is an audacious, dangerous mission that if it succeeds, rightly makes Hayard-Gunnes legends.

Tythas posted:

It really is an amazing song and fits the situation perfectly

Gentlemen, if I may interject. We are fighting Russians in an insane airplane-focused world gone terribly wrong. The time has finally come for the absolutely fantastic soundtrack of the otherwise garbage Assault Horizon to shine.

I hereby submit essential listening for all personnel launching against the Pyotr Velikiy battlegroup in this year of our demon-lord 2023: Rush, Naval Warfare, White Devil, and finally...Keep Alive.

EDIT: Now in playlist format for your listening pleasure: Operation Ultima Weapon.

Realbarrow fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 15, 2017