Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

So there’s no difference between using admin/admin as credentials and negotiating a tls1.1 session with TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA?
Can you tell that there's a difference between that, and saying saying, "b-but IoT devices do it..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Can you tell that there's a difference between that, and saying saying, "b-but IoT devices do it..."

Also, guarantee it's probably an ancient version of OpenSSL and has defaults enabled for it.

So yeah, you can probably open a door large enough for a truck on that IoT device.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

....so is tls 1.1 weak at the moment or not? Some ciphers certainly are.

Proteus Jones posted:

Also, guarantee it's probably an ancient version of OpenSSL and has defaults enabled for it.

So yeah, you can probably open a door large enough for a truck on that IoT device.

I said radio modules. Those do not run linux.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

At the moment it's not, and there's stuff that can run TLS 1.1 and which also isn't user-upgradeable to TLS 1.2 or 1.3, but an internet-facing device not being upgradeable is an indication that it is a device which should get replaced, not a confirmation that TLS 1.1 is secure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

I think there are some mostly "academic" weaknesses, but I don't think there's much outside of using problematic ciphers. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is SHA-1 being replaced by SHA-256. I think use of GCM to replace CBC is a thing too, but I think that was done more as a performance enhancement rather than a security concern. I'll have to look it up again.

That's is pretty good.

Now, completely apart from this discussion, you have me curious. What are these radio modules used in? Is this something that an enduser touches, or is it to allow the engineers designing the device to configure the radio as part of the design spec? I'm wondering if any of those AT commands can be issued directly from the device using these modules or if they require a separate engineering connection.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Volguus posted:

I don't agree with that. Using either SSL or TLS you get a secure socket communication. The protocols are different yes, but the outcome is the same. The underlying protocol is only relevant to those that know the differences between the two, their flaws and strengths.
SSH vs telnet for the average person is the same: secure vs insecure communication. How actually that is done ... pretty much irrelevant.

Plus, even wikipedia agrees that in normal conversation people do refer to them as SSL:

I agree that TLS 1.0 is rebranded SSL 3, but after that they are too different to call it the same. Just because the intent behind their design is similar doesn't make it okay to use their name interchangeably. Are we going to call IPSEC as "SSL" now? Likewise you don't say UDP when you mean TCP, yet both carry data over - outcome is the same, you transferred data. Ok it's an extreme example because UDP is stateless and TCP isn't, but you get the idea.

I expect security people, or people who deal with these protocols, or any engineer really, to understand the difference but most importantly to understand there is a difference. When F5 tells you they do "SSL Inspection" they mean "TLS Inspection" (in fact, I believe they really mean HTTPS inspection). I don't know, it's just a pet peeve of mine I guess, but I believe in absolute precision. Just because people have a bad habit doesn't make it okay.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do you get upset when people say “TLS” without a version specifier? SSL and TLS form a line of versions with a branding change for political reasons, and generalizing to “SSL” isn’t really worse than using “TLS” to mean 1.0 through 1.3. (Did you ever say that your browser was making a SPDY request, in your quest for absolute precision?)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

Do you get upset when people say “TLS” without a version specifier? SSL and TLS form a line of versions with a branding change for political reasons, and generalizing to “SSL” isn’t really worse than using “TLS” to mean 1.0 through 1.3. (Did you ever say that your browser was making a SPDY request, in your quest for absolute precision?)

TLS 1.3 is vastly more different from SSL 3.0 than it is from TLS 1.1 or 1.2 (if only because of the TLS Extension support), but you point isn't half bad.

There's no such thing as a "SPDY request". It's still HTTP on top of SPDY so it's perfectly fine to say HTTP request. :colbert:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

behold, ladies and gentleman, the company with all your info:

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/918466643168251904

heh, it's kind of comical in a tragic way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

orange sky posted:

quote:

For several hours on Wednesday the site was compromised again, this time to deliver fraudulent Adobe Flash updates, which when clicked, infected visitors' computers with adware that was detected by only three of 65 antivirus providers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orange sky posted:

lol flash

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

I think there are some mostly "academic" weaknesses, but I don't think there's much outside of using problematic ciphers. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is SHA-1 being replaced by SHA-256. I think use of GCM to replace CBC is a thing too, but I think that was done more as a performance enhancement rather than a security concern. I'll have to look it up again.

That's is pretty good.

Now, completely apart from this discussion, you have me curious. What are these radio modules used in? Is this something that an enduser touches, or is it to allow the engineers designing the device to configure the radio as part of the design spec? I'm wondering if any of those AT commands can be issued directly from the device using these modules or if they require a separate engineering connection.

That type of radio is generally used by an application microcontroller over a serial connection SPI, UART, USB. By using the stack in the radio you can have even the tiniest 8bit microcontrollers communicate over a secure modern TLS socket connection.

Radios like that one can be found in such diverse things as vending machines, medical equipment and remote industrial controls. Basically all sorts of things that do not need high speed connections but could use a connection for telemetry, an alarm or low speed data.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

orange sky posted:

Screw Equifax, everyone should use TransUnion instead

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/equifax-rival-transunion-also-sends-site-visitors-to-malicious-pages/

oops

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The year that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/x0rz/status/918749189969989632

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
That's a joke repo. The Git equivalent of a fork bomb.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahah I'm on my phone, thanks,checked it out

orange sky
May 7, 2007

We've still got this to look forward to, though!

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/918753997502255104

We should call this "The Infosec Scare Thread"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Infosec is minimum 50% theatre.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

cheese-cube posted:

Infosec is minimum 50% theatre.

Now that you say it, it sucks it has to be.

If you give them a song and PoC they are much more likely to fix poo poo compared to just stating there is a vuln and they should upgrade.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Now that you say it, it sucks it has to be.

If you give them a song and PoC they are much more likely to fix poo poo compared to just stating there is a vuln and they should upgrade.

what's the ROI on a song

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

orange sky posted:

what's the ROI on a song

Less than the average cost of code name+ logo for your vulnerability

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

Less than the average cost of code name+ logo for your vulnerability

Garbage like that shits me to tears. Heartbleed is mostly to blame, albeit inadvertently, for the trend of branding and marketing vulnerability disclosure for fame and/or fortune. IMO if you consider "inventing a snappy name and registering a domain for the vulnerability" a pre-requisite for full disclosure then your vuln is probably trash. Oh and if you setup a "disclosure countdown clock" you can gently caress right the hell off.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So... Endless Septemper isn't over yet:
Something "big enough that you may have to replace all your access points", which will be covered in a paper entitled "Key Reinstallation Attacks: Forcing Nonce Reuse in WPA2", and which is related to the problems with 4-way handshake that was demonstrated at DEFCON using a man-in-the-middle attack against a OpenBSD client is about to be released in less than 24 hours, so keep an eye out for CVE-2017-13077, 13078, 13079, 13080, 13081, 13082, 13084, 13086, 13087, 13088.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 15, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope it needs me to ditch my APs since they are poo poo but aren't old enough to justify replacing yet

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Something "big enough that you may have to replace all your access points", which will be covered in a paper entitled "Key Reinstallation Attacks: Forcing Nonce Reuse in WPA2", and which is related to the problems with 4-way handshake that was demonstrated at DEFCON using a man-in-the-middle attack against a OpenBSD client is about to be released in less than 24 hours, so keep an eye out for CVE-2017-13077, 13078, 13079, 13080, 13081, 13082, 13084, 13086, 13087, 13088.

lol more MORE

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

Billie Joe Armstrong is never waking up at this point. :smith:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hope that is not as serious as it sounds.

Still, my company's core business is network products and services so, silver lining?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

orange sky posted:

I'm no expert, but the paper is out:
https://lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/547640/1/usenix2016-wifi.pdf

And it does look serious, very possibly "replace all your APs" serious.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

mllaneza posted:

I'm no expert, but the paper is out:
https://lirias.kuleuven.be/bitstream/123456789/547640/1/usenix2016-wifi.pdf

And it does look serious, very possibly "replace all your APs" serious.
that paper is from 2016, people have only been citing it in regards to prior known design issues. i wouldn't be shocked at places picking it up and saying it's the real thing though

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that paper is from 2016, people have only been citing it in regards to prior known design issues. i wouldn't be shocked at places picking it up and saying it's the real thing though

Yeah the new stuff is https://twitter.com/Nick_Lowe/status/919527451570638848

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Billie Joe Armstrong is never waking up at this point. :smith:

:golfclap:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

orange sky posted:

Still, my company's core business is network products and services so, silver lining?

It's fairly serious since it appears to be related to how eapol works, so it's going to hit across the board. My company is same, I'll have to start a pool with my group on how fast a hot fix will be deployed.

I imagine consumer devices are going to be hit harder in terms of getting timely fixes. Or any at all since many of them may be past end-of-life. Those are devices people tend to use until they break. I ended up buying my brother a modern wireless router when he casually mentioned he was still using some 2.4GHz only abomination.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Hopefully LEDE can patch it and it’s not baked into the SOCs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Proteus Jones posted:

I imagine consumer devices are going to be hit harder in terms of getting timely fixes. Or any at all since many of them may be past end-of-life. Those are devices people tend to use until they break. I ended up buying my brother a modern wireless router when he casually mentioned he was still using some 2.4GHz only abomination.

Even if they got updates, good luck getting people to update them.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow, both TKIP and AES-CCMP? There is literally nothing to use unless we talk about GTK which I'm seeing has an attack against it already.

Looks like people did work on hostapd to create better secure rng in response to this awhile back. So pfsense and openwrt images might be my next project (pfsense was already a project since I want to run VPN and better monitoring )

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
So there's been a lot of talk about the update aspect from the AP side, but since this is an issue with the handshake wouldn't it also require client updates?

If that's the case I think the APs would just be the tip of the iceberg.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

wolrah posted:

So there's been a lot of talk about the update aspect from the AP side, but since this is an issue with the handshake wouldn't it also require client updates?

The AP is the one responsible for creating the group keys which is prone to the random problems.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wolrah posted:

I'm hoping the protocol weakness can be addressed by adding a check on the authenticator against the S-nonce.(I'm making an assumption based on the "nonce reuse" that its exploit is reuse on the supplicant side)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

Hopefully LEDE can patch it and it’s not baked into the SOCs.

No kidding. Although this finally did spur me to upgrade my OpenWRT installation to LEDE (I'd only found out about the OpenWRT->Lede thing semi-recently, my fault)... you can make fun of me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EVIL Gibson posted:

The AP is the one responsible for creating the group keys which is prone to the random problems.
Even so, it would be really nice if there were some method of defense from the client side, otherwise you're not going to be able to connect to a Starbucks' or a hotel's wifi network until WPA3.