Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Randaconda posted:

Blaming it on Texas is a bit hosed up when Aggy and Nebraska were just as greedy as Texas. They sure didn't have a problem with getting more money that Iowa State and Tech.

Do you blame the most self-entitled jerk in the room (who by the way just showed up a few minutes ago after everyone was getting along forever just fine), or do you blame the little jerks?

I think the bigger jerk deserves the bulk of the blame. The little guys are just idiots who didn't see exactly what was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

See, it's ok when we were loving over the rest of the conference.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU needs to lose to Duke

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Also what's/who's broccoli cream salad and why this random avatar titled after it?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pillsburysoldier posted:

Also what's/who's broccoli cream salad and why this random avatar titled after it?

Don't ask.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Oh i meant to post this because the unranked cyclones beat the ranked oklahoma. Sorry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYnXPZ_DLbQ

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

The hater in me wants you guys to drop every game from here on out, but that is a bit cruel.

I’m mailing it in on caring at this point, that’s how bad we are. I’m not even embarrassed or mad about the Georgia loss. Yeah it sucks but the team played like rear end and they’ve been coached like garbage all season. I’m just ready to get to the off-season and see where it goes from there.

Yeah I’m still going to root for them and watch ever game but losses won’t sting as much and wins won’t mean as much.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The best parts about A&M running away screaming from Texas is that they never got to use Johnny Football on us and their last memory is a loss to Case motherfucking McCoy

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Um, sure. That's one incredibly wrongheaded way to look at it there.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Um, sure. That's one incredibly wrongheaded way to look at it there.

:allears:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

If you think there's no difference between Nebraska and Texas in this scenario other than Nebraska being very dumb and Texas being very manipulative you're beyond convincing. So :allears: back at ya.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

UT fans, did y'all see this season coming the way it's gone down?

NOPE.

I was sort of optimistic the team could stay competitive since that's where Butch had basically dragged us, but I'm going to admit being kinda surprised how bad the team is. They might not make a bowl game which given the collection of raw talent was kinda unfathomable until we saw how they're gonna play. Some of the talent even seems p good, but the team is such a disaster. That said I feel like if we get to 6-6 I'll have pegged the floor of the team, I guess I just expected they'd be better than barely bowl eligible.

I don't remember Butch Jones offenses being this miserable at Cincy or CMU, and Shoop was supposed to be a tactical and coaching upgrade defensively but that doesn't seem to be true. I've repeatedly wanted to defend Butch, but at this point he's made clear he isn't cut out for the job because of I don't know what, booster or media pressure maybe, but that's a weak excuse for the head of a P5 program with some tradition.

MYSELF IN THE PREDICTIONS THREAD posted:

Best Case Scenario 10-2/6-2 SEC - The QB isn't a drop off and the defense stays healthy. If they could clean up some of the turnovers (both with the football and personnel) the team could be surprisingly good with John Kelly at RB and the WR talent. Dline talent needs to stay healthy, but the options are good there. Win close, drop 2 and get a chance to be smooshed by Alabama probably in the SECCG. This would ensure Butch isn't on the hot seat (which is silly imo but thats a separate debate).

Expected Scenario 8-4/4-4 SEC - You could add an SEC win and replace it with a GT loss in this scenario too. The team will be competitive against everyone but Bama, but will probably manage to lose a couple (Georgia/Florida/Bama/LSU feel most likely, or in Vols fashion beat someone get us excited then lose to Kentucky or something stupid). I think this keeps Butch on a warm not hot seat.

Worse Case Scenario 6-6/3-5 SEC - Things haven't gone to plan. An opening loss to GT sets up an early season gamut leaving them in the hole by October with a 2-3 record looking at an annoying SEC schedule and little shot at the division. Beat the bottom feeders to maintain a bowl game, but lose to improving teams in the division. Butch might lose his job with this performance.

That's what I said in the predictions thread and we are way closer to the worst case or worse than even my expected outcome going into the season except they were lucky enough to get out of Atlanta with a stolen win vs GT.

Pleasantly VT is right on track with my expectations.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 13, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Picks in the Yahoo group were late going up it seemed like yesterday but they're open and there's two games tomorrow so do them!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

If you think there's no difference between Nebraska and Texas in this scenario other than Nebraska being very dumb and Texas being very manipulative you're beyond convincing. So :allears: back at ya.

Bevos nipples were chapped from poor helpless nebraskas suckling and we had to sever to avoid amputation

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
This is the dude who wrangled that gator for the photo shoot:

https://youtu.be/ZRJ_tgwyLUM

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

an adult beverage posted:

This is the dude who wrangled that gator for the photo shoot:

https://youtu.be/ZRJ_tgwyLUM

Welp you've inspired me to waste most of my upcoming weekend on rewatching reno 911.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

iospace posted:

Don't ask.

I'm scared

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Me too.

Whenever I see a uniform this ugly I just wonder about how many professional eyes for this sort of thing have seen it and said, "Yep, make em." It's like seeing a typo in a major ad campaign or something, you are left with nothing but a despairing "How does this happen?"

BTW pillsburysoldier if we lose to Duke I'm going to mentally dissociate into a thin glue of magnetic ink that may or may not reform into a person and so I am really hoping that doesn't happen.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

JonathonSpectre posted:

Me too.

Whenever I see a uniform this ugly I just wonder about how many professional eyes for this sort of thing have seen it and said, "Yep, make em." It's like seeing a typo in a major ad campaign or something, you are left with nothing but a despairing "How does this happen?"

BTW pillsburysoldier if we lose to Duke I'm going to mentally dissociate into a thin glue of magnetic ink that may or may not reform into a person and so I am really hoping that doesn't happen.

I am already there, friend.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

D.N. Nation posted:

Auburn only looked bad on the road against the defending champs. Elsewise they've blistered people. Oh, they only beat Mercer by two scores but they turned the ball over a ton so eh. Get UGA and Bama at home. Hrmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErmry9Q0NQ&t=688s

Basically, the SEC might boil down to this, with Kane = UGA, Undertaker = Bama, Stone Cold = Auburn.

:bahgawd: Jim Ross = week 6 Oklahoma

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Happy Friday of Oklahoma lost to Iowa State Week.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Lol
https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/918839189436813312

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Happy Friday of Oklahoma lost to Iowa State Week.

I've told a couple people that the Duke FSU game could be interesting and they're all "no way! it's not going to be close! Duke bad! FSU good!" I keep using Oklahoma - Iowa State as an example why anything is possible :hfive:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Grittybeard posted:

:rolleyes:

Once again, that was easy to do because of Texas.

Like I asked you why this was anyone's fault other than your school. You just said there were a lot of assholes involved. Which, sure, I guess that's a true statement. It's just not one that makes an argument in any fashion.

I'm saying it's not Texas' fault because everyone was just chasing money. Texas didn't cause the Big 10 to offer Nebraska a much larger payday or cause the SEC to to have a huge TV contract.

If Nebraska or Mizzou or A&M had the option of making more money in the Big 12, they would have stayed regardless of how mean big bad Texas was. Also - it's not Texas' fault that the Big 12 never had the mass media markets that would pay like the the other conferences. Houston, DFW and Manhattan....Kansas isn't a recipe for a lot of revenue from cable subscribers.

I am excited for all of these dumbshit third tier TV right channels to implode though, since people are cutting the cord at a very high rate. It will be interesting to see which conference will be the first to offer a streaming package.

Sorry you so mad tho. I guess I apologize on behalf of Deloss Dodds for making Nebraska and Mizzou chase extra cash.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Sorry you so mad tho. I guess I apologize on behalf of Deloss Dodds for making Nebraska and Mizzou chase extra cash.

I think prestige was a part of it too. Mizzou wanted to be in the Big 10 for forever and it wasn't always the cash. I know they certainly didn't go to the SEC for the academic prestige, but Mizzou spending years throwing their panties at the Big 10 definitely built up the idea of, "We want out of the Big 12."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

I'm saying it's not Texas' fault because everyone was just chasing money. Texas didn't cause the Big 10 to offer Nebraska a much larger payday or cause the SEC to to have a huge TV contract.

If Nebraska or Mizzou or A&M had the option of making more money in the Big 12, they would have stayed regardless of how mean big bad Texas was. Also - it's not Texas' fault that the Big 12 never had the mass media markets that would pay like the the other conferences. Houston, DFW and Manhattan....Kansas isn't a recipe for a lot of revenue from cable subscribers.

Interesting that the Big 10 who does nothing but chase media markets thought that Omaha, Nebraska was worth adding. And the Pac 12 was all over Boulder, Colorado. And the SEC thought the St Louis & KC markets were worth their time.

The Big 12 didn't get a big tv deal when everyone else did because Texas didn't care about anyone else in the conference (other than slightly OU, since they'd like to keep playing OU) and wasn't willing to consider the option. Once one or two of either the grant of rights runs out or ESPN can drop the LHN Texas will 100% be shopping themselves around again or looking to screw their pet conference even more to keep it alive.

You keep calling me mad, I'm not as mad as you want me to be. I just see no reason to let a Texas homer get away with re-writing history. The Big 8 would have died anyway, I can agree with that. The Big 12 as originally composed died directly because of Texas, and teams not wanting to put up with Texas.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Power conference expansion ruined everything and round robin is the best

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

Interesting that the Big 10 who does nothing but chase media markets thought that Omaha, Nebraska was worth adding. And the Pac 12 was all over Boulder, Colorado. And the SEC thought the St Louis & KC markets were worth their time.

The Big 12 didn't get a big tv deal when everyone else did because Texas didn't care about anyone else in the conference (other than slightly OU, since they'd like to keep playing OU) and wasn't willing to consider the option. Once one or two of either the grant of rights runs out or ESPN can drop the LHN Texas will 100% be shopping themselves around again or looking to screw their pet conference even more to keep it alive.

You keep calling me mad, I'm not as mad as you want me to be. I just see no reason to let a Texas homer get away with re-writing history. The Big 8 would have died anyway, I can agree with that. The Big 12 as originally composed died directly because of Texas, and teams not wanting to put up with Texas.

Big XII schools are making out pretty well overall, a lot more than the Pac-12 and pretty comparable to the ACC, with schools like Texas and Oklahoma that are getting bank for their third tier rights making as much or more than anybody in the Big 10 or SEC.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Proud Christian Mom posted:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Big 12 couldn't survive because Nebraska couldn't live with the idea of no longer being the center of power. And that's fine- I don't blame them, but I don't blame Texas either. Texas didn't become the king of the conference through a hostile takeover, it was just the changing nature of the business.

When Nebraska left, the teams that followed did so because they'd understandably lost faith in the conference's future. The money, the Longhorn Network, the egos- that was all secondary.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Didn't they hit a school just a couple years ago because they allowed any student to add/drop classes the first couple of weeks and even though it was just part of how that school worked the NCAA said it didn't matter and hit them with moderate sanctions?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've told a couple people that the Duke FSU game could be interesting and they're all "no way! it's not going to be close! Duke bad! FSU good!" I keep using Oklahoma - Iowa State as an example why anything is possible :hfive:

FSU is not good this year. Injuries have decimated us. :negative:

As long as we win the game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I'll consider it a partial success.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Baylor won't get hit by sanctions because the NCAA will determine that the school was actually cool with any student committing rape, not just athletes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I've gotta agree. I was in love with the idea of the PAC-16 expansion, but it would have loving sucked looking back on it. It's cool as hell to build deeper competitive histories with schools like Iowa State and Kansas State and the rest of the conference instead of just having 5 we play every year and 10 other teams we see once every five years or whatever the PAC-16 system would have looked like.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The best parts about A&M running away screaming from Texas is that they never got to use Johnny Football on us and their last memory is a loss to Case motherfucking McCoy

Case McCoy looked like what would happen if you put Colt in the microwave for a little bit.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

Case McCoy looked like what would happen if you put Colt in the microwave for a little bit.

Or left him on the dashboard in the Texas sun

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Every school is an independent and must schedule at least 1 school from each quadrant of the country

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Every school is an independent and must schedule at least 1 school from each quadrant of the country

Kansas' phone ringing off the hook for days.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Kansas' phone ringing off the hook for days.

Caller ID shows everyone but Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

D.N. Nation posted:

Holy poo poo you guys

• Locked thread