Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ok so assume the poor person is a perfect sphere-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
ubi is not a replacement for uhc (which child care would be covered under, imo) and i'm not sure it replaces housing assistance either

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ate all the Oreos posted:

where the hell do you live, canada? I didn't realize y'all's healthcare only covered "life-threatening" things, and you had to pay for school buses :psyduck:

if your address starts with "turn off country road 4 at big ed's" then you may have to pay a surcharge for buses, otherwise it's covered by your municipal school tax

for the "life threatening things" It's a bit more complete than that; like, if you break your arm or sprain your ankle or your dumb rear end goes to the ER cause you got a sniffle, you'll be seen and treated and you won't pay a fee. the cast is free, the crutches aren't, talking to your GP's free, minor in-office treatments like wart removals or whatever cost a bit; surgery's free, anaesthestic isn't; in-care home supplies are sometimes free and sometimes they're not, drugs are subsidized but some are still stupid expensive, etc etc.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

flakeloaf posted:

yes, i literally believe poor people sit in their empty, unfurnished rental units and spend their entire days absorbing nutrition from the sun like houseplants

Everyone knows that's Soylent bros, not poor people.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

ubi is not a replacement for uhc (which child care would be covered under, imo) and i'm not sure it replaces housing assistance either

childcare belongs under education along w/ after school support and meal assistance.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

surgery's free, anaesthestic isn't

lol that's hosed up

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I don't quite understand how moving is supposed to be such a tragedy here but I'm 80% sure this woman putting herself through the emotional ringer is more harmful to the kids than changing schools

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lol that's hosed up

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
subsidizing the ever loving gently caress out of childcare worked out pretty well for Quebec

full employment whaaaaaaaddup

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the american system makes sense when you realize that they used to break into homes of women on welfare in the middle of the night to make sure there were no men staying there “who could pay the bills” so they could cut them off.

they would literally check for mens shoes and count toothbrushes and poo poo.

thats how paternalistic and controlling they want to be.

like that doesn't still happen
https://patch.com/michigan/across-mi/rapist-gets-joint-custody-child-fathered-attack-michigan-judge

quote:

The woman told The Detroit News she has been receiving about $260 a month in food stamps, as well as health insurance for her son.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol, yeah, sure, like I’m going to believe you have friends.

well, okay, hmm, the average person anyway

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

mike harris was a regressive hellfucker but some of his turds shined up not too badly

how can anyone be this stupid

only good thing he did was increase lcbo and beer store operating hours, and that was only done to distract everyone from the real damage being done

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

how can anyone be this stupid

only good thing he did was increase lcbo and beer store operating hours, and that was only done to distract everyone from the real damage being done

he also got rid of OAC, deduplicated a bunch of little governments, and ontario works didn't turn out that badly, did it

the answer to that is "yeah and albert speer drew some really nice buildings"

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

flakeloaf posted:

drugs are subsidized but some are still stupid expensive

a frequent proposal debated in america is to allow americans to import "cheap drugs" from canada

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MononcQc posted:

It depends. You're thinking in a specific american frame where almost anything is better than the poo poo you have right now. Here it's a bit different.

Parental leave here means you receive part of your salary for the year through contributions made by workers taken at the source, and can extend to a full year shared by both parents. There is a bunch of parentalleavebux involved.

Daycares here are in one of two types: subsidized before you pay ($7/day per child only) or private daycares where you pay the full price and you get a tax return to lower the difference at the end of the year back to $7/day per child.

In terms of education, the basic cost is covered, but stuff like school manuals or school bus fees past a certain distance are paid by the parents, but can be refunded through tax deductions at the end of the year if properly submitted.

If you have private health insurance through your employer for non life-threatening stuff or medicine, you get a tax deduction at the end of the year since your privately subsidize part of the costs that the public system would have otherwise entailed.

Those can all involve specific monetary amounts being given back to citizens. UBI sounds interesting from a wealth redistribution perspective, but it seems like it would probably make things a bit worse for a bunch of people when unexpected poo poo happens or they're not responsible enough. Unfortunately, the consequences of "not being able to afford daycare" or "not being able to give your child educational material" tend to be absorbed by society as a whole, not just the parents, so just leaving it to personal responsibility once you give the UBI check kind of sucks for everyone.

We're talking about American ubi ya idiot, within American framework

There is absolutely no reason ubi should somehow break emergency payments nor have anything to do with administration of health care

But also most of the things you talk about are getting rebates or tax credits after you already had to put up your own money: why would UBI replace or remove that?

fishmech fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

a frequent proposal debated in america is to allow americans to import "cheap drugs" from canada

something something bombardier

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

Housing assistance is usually a rather small amount of money, most sensible ubi rates would more than cover it easily.

Special circumstances where you actually need a full 1600 a month rent covered on top of everything else would be covered by reduced scope programs for such special circumstances.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah UBI in the us would replace other direct to consumer cash-like grants like SNAP where the cost of administering SNAP and its restrictions far outweighs any benefits. it doesn't replace stuff like Medicaid which a 3rd party payment system with which the patient is not involved.

housing is a whole other thing cause prices vary so wildly from place to place and plenty of places artificially restrict housing to keep people out (ex: SF). housing assistance would require more than just payments and would probably require using threats to revoke federal funds as a bludgeon to change local anti-housing policy.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

where the hell do you live, canada? I didn't realize y'all's healthcare only covered "life-threatening" things, and you had to pay for school buses :psyduck:

What Flakeloaf said:

flakeloaf posted:

if your address starts with "turn off country road 4 at big ed's" then you may have to pay a surcharge for buses, otherwise it's covered by your municipal school tax

for the "life threatening things" It's a bit more complete than that; like, if you break your arm or sprain your ankle or your dumb rear end goes to the ER cause you got a sniffle, you'll be seen and treated and you won't pay a fee. the cast is free, the crutches aren't, talking to your GP's free, minor in-office treatments like wart removals or whatever cost a bit; surgery's free, anaesthestic isn't; in-care home supplies are sometimes free and sometimes they're not, drugs are subsidized but some are still stupid expensive, etc etc.

Also the healthcare programs can vary from province to province. Anaesthetic can be free, but a consultation session with the anaesthesiologist may not be if it's for plastic surgery like corrective jaw surgery for over- or under-bites for example (may run to $1k-$2.5k depending on the case). Dentist is free until you're 10 for example.

fishmech posted:

We're talking about American ubi ya idiot, within American framework

But also most of the things you talk about are getting rebates or tax credits after you already had to put up your own money: why would UBI replace or remove that?

Oh god sorry I thought UBI could apply to places that are not the United States. I didn't realize american exceptionalism carried this far.

UBI could replace or remove such things when the idea behind UBI is to remove some of the "handouts" given by a government to help its citizen. Why would you take out welfare or some unemployement insurance, while leaving other financial measures untouched? For example, in some [non-american] governments, unemployment benefits may include adult education or dental work being partly or totally covered since they can be seen to impact your ability to find work. Do you take these away as well? Or do you leave all of the unemployment and welfare covered as well?

Where exactly you draw the lines with your system cuts in order to do UBI is exactly a major part of the debate, since as far as I can tell, few governments could allow themselves to keep everything and give UBI on top of it.

The clear-cut vision you have of what could or couldn't be replaced by UBI is probably just due to how lovely the american social nets are.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
UBI would just cause Manhattan rents to increase by exactly UBI, but somewhere out in bumfuck Oklahoma the landlord isn't going to have anywhere near that sort of pricing power. Of course, landlords would fight this tooth and nail because some unemployed bum is just going to trash the property. Because people who don't work for a living are subhuman vermin with no moral character. Unlike me; I work very hard to lift my rear end off the couch once a month and deposit my rent checks at the bank. But then landlords would be the least of your worries as far as political opposition went.

I'd like to see UBI instituted and for society to decouple work from survival so that wage slavery can be abolished. Though I do worry about the resentment factor. People who work will resent the money going to people who don't. The question is how deep this attitude is; to what extent is it a learned social attitude, and to what extent is it a hard-wired lizard-brain reaction along the lines of sexual jealousy that no amount of societal programming can counteract? Like, I don't particularly enjoy my job, but even under today's system I am extremely cool with my tax money going to pay people who don't work. I don't give a poo poo whether or not they're seeking work, I'm happy to work so that others don't have to. But that's hardly true of everyone.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Of course, landlords would fight this tooth and nail because some unemployed bum is just going to trash the property. Because people who don't work for a living are subhuman vermin with no moral character.

we had that for about eight seconds, then the government told municipalities they shall provide affordable housing, and the human rights commission told landlords to watch their loving step with how they chose their tenants

not that it doesn't still happen of course, but it's usually the large corporate landlords who pull that poo poo and they're too risk-averse to stare down a tenant threatening to complain

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in the uk it isn't illegal to discriminate against a housing applicant's source of income lmao

guess what literally every single last housing ad says at the bottom

there was also a thing in the news about how the Conservative party, a majority of whose MPs are landlords, raised a big stink about a law that would have required rental housing to be "fit for human habitation".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MononcQc posted:

What Flakeloaf said:

Also the healthcare programs can vary from province to province. Anaesthetic can be free, but a consultation session with the anaesthesiologist may not be if it's for plastic surgery like corrective jaw surgery for over- or under-bites for example (may run to $1k-$2.5k depending on the case). Dentist is free until you're 10 for example.

Oh god sorry I thought UBI could apply to places that are not the United States. I didn't realize american exceptionalism carried this far.

UBI could replace or remove such things when the idea behind UBI is to remove some of the "handouts" given by a government to help its citizen. Why would you take out welfare or some unemployement insurance, while leaving other financial measures untouched? For example, in some [non-american] governments, unemployment benefits may include adult education or dental work being partly or totally covered since they can be seen to impact your ability to find work. Do you take these away as well? Or do you leave all of the unemployment and welfare covered as well?

Where exactly you draw the lines with your system cuts in order to do UBI is exactly a major part of the debate, since as far as I can tell, few governments could allow themselves to keep everything and give UBI on top of it.

The clear-cut vision you have of what could or couldn't be replaced by UBI is probably just due to how lovely the american social nets are.

Yo, moron, what's so hard about it replacing direct payments. A loving tax rebate is anything but that, that's you paying for a thing and having to cover the cost for months before you get partial reimbursement.

Like this is even dumber cuz Canadian ubi experiments and proposals have been extremely similar to the American ones too, they never like shut down the hospital because now people get ubi or whatever

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

yes, i literally believe poor people sit in their empty, unfurnished rental units and spend their entire days absorbing nutrition from the sun like houseplants

where are your cameras? get out of my house!

flakeloaf posted:

deduplicated a bunch of little governments

this was also an absolute dumpster fire that ended up saving nothing and loving over everyone, see: amalgamated toronto

workfare fundamentally hosed over thousands because of the cuts to mcss

oac, well, whatever. i think the only people griping about that were the double cohort

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

workfare fundamentally hosed over thousands because of the cuts to mcss

what we were sold was workfare with a reasonably-funded social services agency behind it, which of course wasn't what we got because his whole plan from the beginning was "gently caress the poor or make them move out or starve, tada i fixed unemployment", because ontario pcs are the worst kind of pc even in a world where windows vista laptops exist

removing oac was good

amalgamating toronto was bad but amalgamating cow dick and west cow dick was probably good or neutral, i have no idea

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Toronto should have seized all that land back in the 60s to preempt all the dumb poo poo they had to pick up annexing later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

we had that for about eight seconds, then the government told municipalities they shall provide affordable housing

this is also a clusterfuck of epic proportions. municipalities have to fund affordable housing out of their own tax base (which is pretty much only property tax, because of the way the province handles cities), unsurprisingly that doesn't provide a lot of money for housing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

grape (the penguin who was in love with that anime cardboard cut-out) died :smith:

it's got nothing to do with the tech bubel or anything i just thought y'all might like to know

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

this is also a clusterfuck of epic proportions. municipalities have to fund affordable housing out of their own tax base (which is pretty much only property tax, because of the way the province handles cities), unsurprisingly that doesn't provide a lot of money for housing

blame harris for that, provincial housing initiatives should be provincially funded because social assistance is not a municipal issue, but try explaining to a fat gently caress on bay street that he should pay for some somali refugee in sarnia to have one of them fancy apartments what has four walls goin all the way up

nope gotta keep those job creators happy, balsillie's gonna save us any day now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

blame harris for that, provincial housing initiatives should be provincially funded because social assistance is not a municipal issue, but try explaining to a fat gently caress on bay street that he should pay for some somali refugee in sarnia to have one of them fancy apartments what has four walls goin all the way up

nope gotta keep those job creators happy, balsillie's gonna save us any day now

as someone who works with those fat fucks on a daily basis, they are far more concerned about the loss of income sprinkling and small business tax reform at the moment

but yeah, that and pretty much everything else about consolidating municipalities was the harris government's gently caress you to the cities. they found a way to "keep taxes low" by just shoving the burden for existing services onto the municipalities without any additional funding. the whole reason toronto had to amalgamate was because etobicoke and scarborough literally couldn't fund the requisite services from their own tax base.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

ok so assume the poor person is a perfect sphere-

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

not necessarily, depending on how it's implemented the money you earn could be extra money on top of the ubi.

of course if the ubi is 1000 moneys and you earn 500, but then lose 500 of the ubi then there is no point in doing the job, because you would still have only 1000.

but if the money you earn from the work lowers the ubi at a rate of say 50%, you would have 1250, which is still more than if you didn't work. progressive tax would be better than a flat one, but the math is easier with a flat percentage.

so you would clean toilets or absorb verbal abuse from customers or destroy your car delivering pizza every night for an extra $minimumwage above your ubi payment

because i don't think that'd be a popular choice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that seems to be more like guaranteed minimum income than universal basic income

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

so you would clean toilets or absorb verbal abuse from customers or destroy your car delivering pizza every night for an extra $minimumwage above your ubi payment

because i don't think that'd be a popular choice

ignoring the idea of clawbacks or whatever and assuming ubi was actually just universal, i think the idea is those jobs would have to start paying a lot more to entice people to do them. if that makes them untenable, then those services go away, because the market has decided they're not worth the costs.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/naomi_dann/status/918864079573405696

https://twitter.com/naomi_dann/status/918864646349627392

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm glad this is finally starting to get attention since that document describing it came out months ago and i didn't hear about it anywhere beyond this drat thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

beep boop we've qualified discrimination thusly so that we can treat it algorithmically, however we will also have our human staff follow the rule-set to the letter

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ignoring the idea of clawbacks or whatever and assuming ubi was actually just universal, i think the idea is those jobs would have to start paying a lot more to entice people to do them. if that makes them untenable, then those services go away, because the market has decided they're not worth the costs.

yeah that's exactly what i'm saiyin

if your minimum wage job pays a hair above the ubi (or adds a piddling amount to your guaranteed payout depending on how it's implemented) those poo poo jobs will lose a lotta people or be forced to pay more, or both

ubi rules

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there are a number of things hosed up in the us which one shouldn't entangle in the very hypothetical idea of ubi: lack of uhs already noted, but the expectation of what being on the lowest rung of the wage ladder *should* mean is actually a far bigger one, and a hard one for society to come to terms with

as in: yes, the guy that fries your burger or cleans your toilet might actually be important enough to drive a nice car or shop a good cut of meat to cook up, over the weekend, which he can afford to take off

but i suspect it'll come to substantial violence before that point, and long before ubi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

beep boop we've qualified discrimination thusly so that we can treat it algorithmically, however we will also have our human staff follow the rule-set to the letter

it's not really so they can treat it algorithmically, it's so that they can avoid exact, specific interpretations of laws without actually having to care

• Locked thread