Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

also please note that dilma was not impeached for corruption, but for using an accounting trick in the budget to make it balance out

every previous president had done the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

babypolis posted:

wtf is going on in brazil did you guys elect the most reactionary response possible to the corruption of the left wing goverment?

Badger of Basra posted:

lol you think there was an election

This. There literally was no election, nor has there been since Dilma formed her first cabinet with the kleptocrats now in power.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what how did the current government come to power then

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

babypolis posted:

It's political procedure you hardly ever hear about in Latin America anymore called a coup.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

babypolis posted:

peeeeeenis

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wait so they impeached the president and vp took power right. but why the hell was the vp of a left wing president a right winger?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

babypolis posted:

wait so they impeached the president and vp took power right. but why the hell was the vp of a left wing president a right winger?

because around 30% of people will vote for whoever the pmdb tells them to so you gotta buy them off

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

babypolis posted:

Brazil is tropical Italy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Brazil is tropical Italy

actually that is Argentina (change "tropical" to "in the Americas")

and PMDB isn't right-wing or left-wing in any sense, it has no coherent political stance other than "be in government": it managed to have three non-elected presidents since the re-democratization

the reason why they are so pervasive has to do with them being the only "legal" opposition back in the dictatorship so when that went away they were the lone party with something akin to a national structure with strong political networks down to local levels so basically everyone had to deal with the fucks to get anything going - they are historical establishment politics in Brazil distilled to max

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

so establishment politics in brazil today is disproportionately white, male, and evangelical? so much like the gringos....

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's whiter proportion wise.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Plutonis posted:

It's whiter proportion wise.
the student of the school of the americas has become the master

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Doria was totally elected for mayor, though.

He won on the first loving round of elections against the incumbent (who was fairly OK, but had the dreaded PT party affiliation) and proceeded to poo poo the bed in every conceivable way since taking office.

Like, he was in loving Italy when the “poor rations” were announced, and the vice-mayor was also overseas

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

did the city of sao paulo elect a guy who's an inch away from being an actual nazi, or am i confusing it with the state of sao paulo?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

get that OUT of my face posted:

did the city of sao paulo elect a guy who's an inch away from being an actual nazi, or am i confusing it with the state of sao paulo?

who?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Doria is essentially a Brazilian version of Berlusconi and Trump (he even hosted the loving Apprentice!). That is to say, a wealthy rear end in a top hat without any particular ideology, altough with some lovely and extremist leanings.

The State of São Paulo has been ruled for years by Geraldo Alckmin of the PSDB, who is also terrible but in a "moderate" light , which our population loving adores for some reason.

Doria was his protege and became mayor mostly because of Alckmin and political maneuvering inside the party, which naturally led him to stab his mentor in the back to get the presidential nomination - to no one's benefit, since it looks like everyone outside of São Paulo hates their guts.

You might be thinking of Jair Bolsonaro, federal deputy of Rio de Janeiro, who's pretty much a fascist in all but name.

The Unnamed One has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Oct 15, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Unnamed One posted:

Doria is essentially a Brazilian version of Berlusconi and Trump (he even hosted the loving Apprentice!). That is to say, a wealthy rear end in a top hat without any particular ideology, altough with some lovely and extremist leanings.

The State of São Paulo has been ruled for years by Geraldo Alckmin of the PSDB, who is also terrible but in a "moderate" light , which our population loving adores for some reason.

Doria was his protege and became mayor mostly because of Alckmin and political maneuvering inside the party, which naturally led him to stab his mentor in the back to get the presidential nomination - to no one's benefit, since it looks like everyone outside of São Paulo hates their guts.

You might be thinking of Jair Bolsonaro, federal deputy of Rio de Janeiro, who's pretty much a fascist in all but name.

Doria straight up said that the northeast would have a tourist opportunity if they made the places suffering from droughts "misery tourism" spots in the 90s.

https://noticias.uol.com.br/politic...ar-polemica.htm

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Hell, apparently the loving food rations aren’t even supposed to be produced with the poor population of São Paulo in mind.

Instead, the name of the city would be used as a talking point for selling the product to Asia and Africa.

I don’t know how he could make a “dog food for poors” sound worse, but Doria is an overachiever.

https://twitter.com/silmarq/status/919558355324203009

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can the Argentineans here clarify about the Resistencia Ancestral Mapuche and Maldonado? It's been barely been talked about here

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41702706

pinochet murdered neruda

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the more i hear abt that guy…

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

time to investigate bob marley's death from "cancer"

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Oct 21, 2017

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

time to investigate bob marley's death from "cancer"

Well yeah, read a Brief History of Seven Killings

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Temer can no longer pee, which I guess might be a bigger factor to a future ousting of him for beeter or for worse?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's already making GBS threads all over us

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kunster posted:

Temer can no longer pee, which I guess might be a bigger factor to a future ousting of him for beeter or for worse?
he's still figuratively pissing on brazil

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the fact that Temer got excused from working due to health reasons was a bit too much on the irony capacitors for me tbqh

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

the fact that Temer got excused from working due to health reasons was a bit too much on the irony capacitors for me tbqh
it's good to be the king

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Can the Argentineans here clarify about the Resistencia Ancestral Mapuche and Maldonado? It's been barely been talked about here

The Resistencia Ancestral Mapuche is a "paramilitary group" that wants to form an independent state in bits of Argentine (mostly in Rio Negro, Chubut, and Neuquén) and Chilean Patagonia that would be based on the principles of self-determination for the Mapuche people. In contrast to some other groups, they state that they have the right to use violence if necessary. In reality, they're really "tres gatos locos", a fairly unorganized and disjointed group that carries out protests be they peaceful (eg. a picket line like the one the day Maldonado disappeared) or violent (usually low-level property destruction, but they have been supposedly "involved" in some murders). Apparently they are more violent on the Chilean side of the border but I wouldn't know enough to elaborate. Some Mapuche and other local organizations have distanced themselves from the RAM due to the violent acts. I think the RAM's stance is understandable, because the traditional response from Buenos Aires is to not give a poo poo about what's happening down there unless too many people are dying. However, they're too disorganized to accomplish anything.

Santiago Maldonado was basically a random hippie tattoo-artist backpacker who fell in with some Mapuches and supported their claim to more autonomy if not full independence. Santiago supported the RAM in a protest involving the issues of large tracts of land being bought up by foreigners, during the protest he disappeared. Sergio (Maldonado's older brother) was able to get the disappearance picked up by human-rights/left-wing groups, who then placed the issue in the media. This eventually snowballed into a series of really big protests claiming that the government (particularly security minister Bullrich) had bungled the repression of the protest and the search for the body. All sorts of fantastical and unfunded theories quickly sprung even into mainstream media, and in many cases were supported by political parties (from Maldonado hiding in Chile on behest of the Kirchnerists to Maldonado being swept up like Argentina just won its first world cup).

The issue basically became instantly polarized, and became a pro/anti-government thing more than anything else. Eventually, Maldonado's body was found basically 100m from where he was last seen.

His actual disappearance seems to be that following the dispersion of the picket line by the gendarmerie, Maldonado (and some other protesters) fled across a river, but he didn't make it. The body then remained undiscovered for 72 days even though the area was searched multiple times. Depending on who you ask, the search was either serious or a half-assed effort to show that they were doing something. The first judge in charge of the investigation was widely criticised and basically committed legal suicide by giving an interview (which you're not really supposed to do about an on-going search), "forcing" him to step down.

Why did the Maldonado case get so much attention? The situation among poor communities, particularly amerindian ones, in the south being poo poo isn't news. Neither is the fact that the police here widely subscribe to a Judge Dredd approach in terms of establishing when they should open fire or hand out a beating. He certainly wasn't the first person to disappear in these sort of circumstances.

Firstly, Maldonado was a young white middle-class guy from an average Buenos Aires town. He wasn't some random Mapuche "negro". Secondly, the issue was blatantly hijacked for opportunistic political reasons. The case basically overlapped with the primaries, and the actual elections for the 2017 legislative renewal. The Kirchnerists really hopped onto the subject and greatly magnified the amount of media attention that it got (shamelessly so, because they buried poo poo like this when they were in government). They did this to the point that the entire Maldonado protest became really twisted and much more about scoring cheap points on Macri than about advocating for honest serious reform of the security forces, or for basic amenities for poor communities in the south.

Look up "Daniel Solano", basically the same exact case, if anything it is worse because the guy literally just disappeared. This happened recently (in 2011), and it recieved 0,1% the media attention Maldonado did. The only people who picked it up were small left-wing parties and they were ignored. The judicial investigation turned up very little, and only some obvious low-level policemen scapegoats were indicted, and even they were let go eventually. Its dead in the water and unlikely to ever progress.

Sorry that turned into a bit of a ramble, please ask for clarity if needed

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/hannahdreier/status/926453745516531712

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

That's pretty gross.
Wonder how long it was in there for

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

in his defense, empanadas are delicious

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexandrearagao/judith-butler-brazil?utm_term=.vmK126pAK9#.qqZ14OgwoB

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

and he probably ate the last one in the country lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

did the argies reallly protest against their pension reform by yelling "this isn't brazil"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Welp thats 4 more years of Piñericosas

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Welp thats 4 more years of Piñericosas

How bad is he exactly?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

How bad is he exactly?

Ineffectual clown with very convenient big news every so many months smokescreening his gaffes, the fact he said he is "going to revert Bachelet policies" this campaign has me actually worried this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Ineffectual clown with very convenient big news every so many months smokescreening his gaffes, the fact he said he is "going to revert Bachelet policies" this campaign has me actually worried this time.

so ban abortion again and cut down on the reduced education fees?

• Locked thread