Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

TBF I don't think GL is all that good and cool but also I'm a massive mecha nerd so most of the poo poo it was homaging/referencing was poo poo I had already seen and liked better than what GL did with it.

I would rather watch Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen than TTGL any day if I'm looking for an over the top homage to classic mecha to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TBF I don't think GL is all that good and cool but also I'm a massive mecha nerd so most of the poo poo it was homaging/referencing was poo poo I had already seen and liked better than what GL did with it.

Now see, I didn't know much about mecha when I saw the show as I was 14 and my standard for anime knowledge was the same as any american kid's at the time: naruto, bleach, and dbz. So when I saw TTGL it was like nothing else and super cool to me. Then 11 years passed, I became more familiar with mecha, Imaishi's other poo poo, and what I like in shows and I still like TTGL, but it's annoying to rewatch in spots for me and I still genuinely hate the Kamina City stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Why do we ever argue

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
watch shin mazinger.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i'm watching njpw and fuckin g gundam rn, i'm busy

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Captain Baal posted:

i'm watching njpw and fuckin g gundam rn, i'm busy

shin mazinger is by the director of g gundam.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Alright maybe it's worth watching sooner than later

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Baal posted:

Alright maybe it's worth watching sooner than later

It was fun. Too bad we never got Shin Great Mazinger.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Did they actually beat it, Act 4 and all?

the last time I remember it coming up was years ago and it was Woolie going "the problem is, it STARTS in space, and as Gurren Lagann demonstrates, you have to constantly escalate, you can't go back down"

I know Woolie has Bad Anime Opinions but yikes. Asura's Wrath does nothing but escalate, outside of a few necessary breathers (and some bad filler).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I meant that more sincerely than shitposting made it look, I've got the feeling that every time I saw TTGL come up in conversation around these parts someone rushes to go "well it's not that good", it's that and Madoka (and KLK but people actively hate KLK and I can see why so). Also every time I lurk CineD I come out hating goons' contrarianism so that might've tinted my opinions since I was looking for some SW info in there and why do i do it to myself.

The TTGL/Asura comparison is pretty poo poo, and it only works if you're just comparing the sense of escalation. It's more God of War (or really, any given Greek tragedy with a focus on revenge) than anything else, to go for another base comparison. But let's be fair, there's a reason why people don't talk about the gameplay, even people that like the game have to admit it's Just There, so if you already knew what to expect it's neither offensive nor especially entertaining.

in summary wonderful 101 did it better

also screw you nerds and your stupid giant japanese robots they old and bad

also also to be semi on-topic i wonder if doki doki literature club came out in time for a mini shitstorm lp/stream bonus

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dias posted:

also screw you nerds and your stupid giant japanese robots they old and bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOOP-tQCfqw

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TTGL to AW isn't a bad comparison, but it isn't without caveats, of course. They're both stories with large scale fights that take place both on earth and in space where essentially a one-man army (robot in ttgl's) case fights against an army of deistic figures who think they know what's best for others and stories that generally only increase in scope as they go on. There are massive differences, like the purposes of the stories and how they unfold and main characters too, but it's not a bad comparison. GoW is also fine, it especially helps that AW was flat out a ripoff of that game, but AW's story is more focused on its protagonist and his relationship with the rest of the cast, while GoW is meant to be sprawling epic journey that culminates in god murder (At least the first two games) and Kratos is very much a one-dimensional character. You can make a lot of cases for both and AW is an interesting game that deserves a lot more attention on storytelling integrated with gameplay and how to do angry yell protagonists well.

Although yeah, it should always go without saying AW's gameplay is rear end and no one ever talks about it when they mention that game for a reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wanting to skip the boss battles in Cuphead to see more game is absurd lunacy and that opinion should be more aptly applied to Asura's Wrath, because when you're not fighting Gohma, the boss fights are neat and fun and good!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

okay policenauts you're still a bad, stupid game but those last 2 episodes were goddamn hilarious

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like the gameplay in Asura's Wrath.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
asura's wrath good game

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

havenwaters posted:

It was fun. Too bad we never got Shin Great Mazinger.

Welcome to watching stuff by Imagatawa

Giant Robo sequel never :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

Why do we ever argue

Captain Baal posted:

Now see, I didn't know much about mecha when I saw the show as I was 14 and my standard for anime knowledge was the same as any american kid's at the time: naruto, bleach, and dbz. So when I saw TTGL it was like nothing else and super cool to me. Then 11 years passed, I became more familiar with mecha, Imaishi's other poo poo, and what I like in shows and I still like TTGL, but it's annoying to rewatch in spots for me and I still genuinely hate the Kamina City stuff.

Nothing in GL is as cool or rewarding as Getter Robo Armageddon's STONER SUNSHINE even with as low scale as it all is. It is a capstone on so many characters and it's simple and emotional and it isn't relying entirely on pure spectacle.

And Kamina's death has nothing on Musashi's.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nothing in GL is as cool or rewarding as Getter Robo Armageddon's STONER SUNSHINE even with as low scale as it all is. It is a capstone on so many characters and it's simple and emotional and it isn't relying entirely on pure spectacle.

Having watched and liked both: not really dude.

Armageddon does have a way better ending though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

l and it isn't relying entirely on pure spectacle.

Musashi's in armageddon for like 2 episodes before he dies and he doesn't get a ton of buildup. He's referenced once or twice but lagely forgotten. In the original getter robo he's just the dumb fat sidekick.

Kamina's death has a gigantic impact on the story and on the characters. It's a huge important point.

The stoner sunshine was cool, but I still enjoyed the anti spiral fight more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Monaghan posted:

The stoner sunshine was cool, but I still enjoyed the anti spiral fight more.

This will be an actual agree to disagree because the last fight scenes in TTGL are kind of the pinnacle of examples of why it just doesn't work for me outside of going "Oh that show was cute." The visuals are great it is all this grand spectacle built around characters that are by design largely simulacrum of other genre characters and the emotion of the whole back half of the plot all feels absolutely hollow (outside of like, Lawful Stupid Rossiu's scenes with Simon but those also have issues all it's own cause Rossiu's character arc feels like you just held down whammy bar for an hour of dialogue). The vast majority of Team Dai-Gurren might as well not exist for the amount of care and screentime the show has given them but the show still tries to sell you on the big final form fueling it and I know they're going for the whole "We're standing united" but that would work better if there were more characters that actually had done anything of note or had any growth at all in the final group. Which is only made worse because the only character with an (admittedly shallow) arc, Kittan, had already sacrificed himself prior to this. As a big love letter to much better shows (some of which Gainax even made!) TTGL works but the boy does it flounder when it tried to make something feel emotional in a significant way.

I will say though my major issue with the Best friends talking about things all in relation/reference to TTGL is that they treat it like Capcom during the 'Death of fighting games' in the early 2000's. "Eva deconstructed super robo/mecha and then TTGL is the reconstruction that brought it back" is something Woolie's said and referenced multiple times and it's loving dumb because people will still making good Super Robo shows all the while. hell, Gainax themselves made Diebuster between those two shows! But they're the only broadly popular ones that the best friends cared about so no TTGL saved Super Robo just like Street Fighter IV brought fighting games back.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eva had an extremely large role in Mecha turning dark and gritty and Gurren Lagann is definitely Gainax's response to poo poo like GaoGaiGar and Getter Robo installments made in the interim. Saying it saved mecha may be a stretch but saying it kind of was the capstone , trying to recapture the spirit of old Super Robot for a while isnt really that big a deal with the rep it has.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait are you dissing gaogaigar

like the initial monster of the week stuff before the main story kicked into gear was not exactly amazing but overall it was a great super robot show.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

like the initial monster of the week stuff before the main story kicked into gear was not exactly amazing but overall it was a great super robot show.

Yeah no Gaogaigar was way better at creating and recapturing the spirit of old Super Robo shows than TTGL was for better and for worse in some ways. Calling TTGL a capstone on the subgenre is just as dumb as saying it saved mecha, especially with the field of super robo shows that have come out since.

Like I said, thinking like that is like saying Street Fighter IV brought fighting games. It only really works if you ignore or don't care about the wide field of stuff that game out in the genre before it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Captain Invictus posted:

It was awful and I'm still resentful of SA for hyping it up so much that I forced myself through the entire series and 4,000 hours of recycled animation with occasional recolors waiting for it to get good and then it just didn't, ever

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
It sucks, all the characters are shallow, the only good thing is the robot designs are cool looking and you get sick of them because you have to watch full length recycled transformation and docking sequences every single episode that take up like ten minutes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

It was awful and I'm still resentful of SA for hyping it up so much that I forced myself through the entire series and 4,000 hours of recycled animation with occasional recolors waiting for it to get good and then it just didn't, ever

Yeah that's classic Super Robo for you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I will say though my major issue with the Best friends talking about things all in relation/reference to TTGL is that they treat it like Capcom during the 'Death of fighting games' in the early 2000's. "Eva deconstructed super robo/mecha and then TTGL is the reconstruction that brought it back" is something Woolie's said and referenced multiple times and it's loving dumb because people will still making good Super Robo shows all the while. hell, Gainax themselves made Diebuster between those two shows! But they're the only broadly popular ones that the best friends cared about so no TTGL saved Super Robo just like Street Fighter IV brought fighting games back.

Aka the TVTropes Effect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Mecha Anime fans are worse than the moe blob anime fans.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Mecha Anime fans are worse than the moe blob anime fans.

jojo fans are even worse

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking of Mecha since I don't think this got brought up yet:

https://twitter.com/silentman0/status/918515960490930177

https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/918588620931567616

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Nidhogg doesn't look very fun if you have 30 minute games...

Edit: like it looks fun, but there should be some mechanic to speed up games past a certain point.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 13, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Nidhogg doesn't look very fun if you have 30 minute games...

Edit: like it looks fun, but there should be some mechanic to speed up games past a certain point.

IIRC there's a round timer, they just never used it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Captain Invictus posted:

To address this before we move on from Mecha Discourse, I love GaoGaiGar/FINAL very much and what it does it does super well, but boy oh boy it did not age very well. I love it to pieces but as other people have brought up trying to get through the first fourth where it's still aggressively a monster of the week show and the sheer amount of reused footage hurts it a lot. When I said TTGL was Gainax's answer to GaoGaiGar it was merely saying that TTGL owes a lot of escalation heritage and overall structure to both GaoGaiGar and Getter. (Nakashima even admitted in one interview TTGL's a sort of adaptation of a lot of the motifs and themes from Getter Robo)

e: Also the fact that there hasn't been a really good standout super robot show since 2008-2010 probably doesn't help the colorations of Gurren Lagann.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 14, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC there's a round timer, they just never used it.

Yep, the ridiculous round time was kind of on them.

Otherwise Nidhogg 2 is really fun but I wish the sequel hadn't poo poo all over the visual design.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I tried to push Doki Doki Literature Club on Liam, hopefully it works.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah, Witch's House is a classic. Love that Pat played it ahead of time too, because man they'd get nowhere fast doing all the puzzles blind.
It has one hell of a depressing ending though.
Matt vs the hall of distractions is the best part. Gets the ADHD going immediately.

HGH fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 18, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"It's like a friendly trip through 'what if I lived in Korea?'" - Pat, on a game set in Thailand

really just batting a thousand this year

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the intro to the MVCI video is the loving best

also the outro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It is BAFFLING how Matt continues making excuses for Getting Up constantly glitching on him or just being awful, like he's terrified the five people who like this game are going to bust into the office and beat him up. He's absolutely turned on a game for less.