Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nina posted:

Btw when I'm talking about choices I don't necessarily mean just linear story choices like "do I do Good Thing or Bad Thing" or "will I be rude or nice" but actually choices integrated into the gameplay give me the biggest satisfaction when the game accommodates for them. I want more games that allow you to be stupid and have it be an acknowledged path by the game, it might not make the game more fun and might mess up your experience in some way but I want to be given that choice.

fallout 3 lets you be stupid, but it makes everyone acknowledge you as a genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Mary Sue: blank slate character made for you to project upon. Gordon Freeman, Doomguy, TES and Fallout protagonists, etc.

Self Insert: Character with some aspects of the creator; their insecurities, their looks, personality, etc. Only one I can think of is the main character from girl with the dragon tattoo (the book). It’s not really a self insert for some skinny nerd to make a big muscle bound barabarian unless thatbarbarian also shares the nerd’s love of d&d or anime. Or the character struggles with girls/is a Casanova.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dyz posted:

Mary Sue: blank slate character made for you to project upon. Gordon Freeman, Doomguy, TES and Fallout protagonists, etc.

i don't think this is right either

a mary sue is a character that is faultless, or at least one whose flaws are superficial at best

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

Kratos was fine in the first game, the mistake was making more of them.

I thought the second game was a fitting close. Like after killing his god girlfriend it should've ended with him surrounded with his spartan followers on a throne of corpses sipping milk and ambrosia like the opening to a clockwork orange. The titans are in the background ravaging olympus while the gods desperately fight against them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Kratos is seriously one of the worst characters in the history of video games

But what about Kratos with a beard

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i don't think this is right either

My bad, that’s always what I understood it to mean when really it’s closer to a self insert than a blank slate

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mary Sue is more like a flawless character who is perfect in every possible way and their only problem is being so goshdarn perfect all the time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've been calling em chazzwozzers

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Dyz posted:

My understanding was that a Mary Sue was a self-insert that's Super Good, And Flawless. Like if I wrote a story about Six Toe Lez'Cano, the peerless grizzled soldier with a dark past but a secret soft side who woos all the beautiful women and also has a pet panther that only listens to him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Help Im Alive posted:

But what about Kratos with a beard

When you think about it there's absolutely no way Kratos isn't beating that kid given his anger issues. Kind of messed up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

exquisite tea posted:

Mary Sue is more like a flawless character who is perfect in every possible way and their only problem is being so goshdarn perfect all the time.

Why would they make a video game about me?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sixto Lezcano posted:

My understanding was that a Mary Sue was a self-insert that's Super Good, And Flawless. Like if I wrote a story about Six Toe Lez'Cano, the peerless grizzled soldier with a dark past but a secret soft side who woos all the beautiful women and also has a pet panther that only listens to him.

I got the two mixed up because the first time I heard about a Mary Sue was when everyone started talking about Twilight

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dyz posted:

Self Insert: Character with some aspects of the creator; their insecurities, their looks, personality, etc. Only one I can think of is the main character from girl with the dragon tattoo (the book). It’s not really a self insert for some skinny nerd to make a big muscle bound barabarian unless thatbarbarian also shares the nerd’s love of d&d or anime. Or the character struggles with girls/is a Casanova.

Nah nah nah, Mary Sue is a character that's always right, always competent, and everyone loves them even when they gently caress up. "Lt. Mary Sue ran the ship, and ran it so well she received the Nobel Peace Prize, the Vulcan Order of Gallantry and the Tralfamadorian Order of Good Guyhood." The idea is that people will write in these characters who are instantly better at everything the protagonists worked hard on which doesn't really happen in games that often unless they're an antagonistic force.

It's pretty rare in video games because the whole point of games is to empower the player.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sixto Lezcano posted:

i mean, having a pet panther implies he likes cats, so that's a pretty disgusting flaw there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dyz posted:

I got the two mixed up because the first time I heard about a Mary Sue was when everyone started talking about Twilight

You can't go wrong there because the main character of Twilight is both a mary sue AND a self insert. It is, as my cool Fighting Game friends would say, a Wombo Combo

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You can't go wrong there because the main character of Twilight is both a mary sue AND a self insert. It is, as my cool Fighting Game friends would say, a Wombo Combo

Hell, she goes for the three-for by also being a blank, empty and featureless character onto which readers can project themselves!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nameless One is the greatest subversion of the blank slate rpg hero.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NJk4paWEs&t=2790s

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ba-ha-ha

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd probably be angry at mighty number 9 if i'd paid money for it but since i got it for free all i can do is find humor in how laughably bad it is

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Why are the Ape Escape games so split up and difficult to access in tyool 2017? Why aren't they all just on the Vita or PSNow or available for download on the PS+ store in some digital collection fuuuuck :argh:

My least favourite type of these characters are the "blank slate" protagonists that you can't name or really customize in any way but still basically have no personality outside of what the player gives them. Especially considering a good number these games don't have voice acting. What's the point? In P5 you can rename Joker AND he manages to have more personality than 99% of blank state protagonists (although I do use the canon name for every Persona game anyway :sweatdrop:).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Propaganda Hour posted:

TW3 has a scene where you and your two fellow Witchers get blackout drunk, steal your estranged wife's clothing to crossdress, and then prank call the most powerful sorcerouses in the world to see if they're up for an orgy.

you're trying to sell the game to people based on what sounds like the b-plot to a seth rogen movie

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

you're trying to sell the game to people based on what sounds like the b-plot to a seth rogen movie

It's a good scene!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

Seth Rogen should make a crpg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahh, that classic quote from Geralt of Rivia in CD Projekt Red's The Witcher 3, "dude weed lmao"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Killed By Death posted:

Why are the Ape Escape games so split up and difficult to access in tyool 2017? Why aren't they all just on the Vita or PSNow or available for download on the PS+ store in some digital collection fuuuuck :argh:

Sony completely ignoring that people want to play old games sucks rear end.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's really dumb that emulators are the best way (and often the only realistic way) to play many old games on newer machines.

Come on publishers, let me buy your games again. I'd give you money if you just made it convenient.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah the witcher 3 is so good on plays itself difficulty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

Seth Rogen should make a crpg

Seth rogen only makes wrpgs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

ah the witcher 3 is so good on plays itself difficulty

I started Hearts of Stone on the PC a couple months after finishing Wild Hunt on PS4 and died a dozen times in the first DLC quest. I think I'm gonna play it on Tell Me a Story difficulty

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the best silent protags are those precious few where the game comes up with a really weird hosed up reason for them to be silent. Like in Wild Arms 1 the silent protagonist is revealed in the last third of the game to be a fuckin robot who thinks he's people.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Killed By Death posted:

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/05/why-would-anybody-play-this-says-sonys-jim-ryan-about-backwards-compatibility/

quote:

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rudy is one of the weakest parts of wild arms 1 though. his backstory is cool but the fact that he doesn't talk puts a huge damper on the party dynamic since cecilia and jack don't really interact with each other that much and a lot of cecilia's stuff is centered around rudy so a lot of the big moments become the Jack Power Hour

i like what wild arms 2 does where ashley is just a totally regular dude with a big bayonet rifle who then gets turned into a hosed up monster and gains sentai powers

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 13, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

It's a good scene!

crossdressing for laughs is incredibly hard to do right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

don't get discouraged, practice makes perfect

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I was warned that Heart of Stone was a big jump in difficulty, but somehow I made my Geralt so tanky it didn't really matter. The Olgierd fight took a while, because I had no damage, but I was never really in danger.

Use the anti poison potion on the Toad boss if you're having trouble.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

precision posted:

Now cross-dressing for titillation, on the other hand

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

the best silent protags are those precious few where the game comes up with a really weird hosed up reason for them to be silent. Like in Wild Arms 1 the silent protagonist is revealed in the last third of the game to be a fuckin robot who thinks he's people.

Douchebag is my favorite. He doesn't speak because nobody lets him get a word in and when he finally talks it's glorious.

And the player in System Shock 2 where you really have nothing to say until the very end when you tell the villain to gently caress off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Really Pants posted:

don't get discouraged, practice makes perfect

It's not crossdressing because I don't believe clothing should have gender assignments. When I wear a gypsy skirt over my jeans, I'm not reliving the 90s cosplaying as Michael Stipe being a pretentious wanker presenting as female, I'm just wearing what I feel like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A dog in a sweater is pretty funny.

• Locked thread