Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

disjoe posted:

I bet (no data to back this up) most future law students go into undergrad knowing they want to go to law school.

And that those same people major in history or poli sci because "that's what lawyers major in."

I was one of those people. Honestly if you had told me that I could major in STEM and have better employment prospects than otherwise, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I just didn't know.

Sort of. I knew law school was one of my options, so I figured "well that means I can study what I want" since the other thing I was considering was academia. So my history degree is solely for the reason that I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugh, I'm feeling so depressed that I think I might be suffereing from some kind of brain chemical inbalance.

So throughout 1L year I became really good friends with a classmate and we spent a lot of time studying together. We still were friends until the beginning of the semester when bascially she "ghosted" me, blocked me on all social media, ignored all attempts at contact, etc, out of the blue. Because this was before classes started and I was still travelling all over the place for interviews I didn't really notice for a while, and after I did I was legit concerned for her wellbeing because it seemed like she just dropped off the face of the earth. I eventually got around to inquiring with some mutual aquaintances and she's fine, and still goes to the same school and everything, which makes the whole ghosting thing a bit weird because we were still going to run into each other in the hallways. SO anyway we still do obviously pass each ther in the hallways and she just barely acknowledges me or just ignores me entirely, and I do the same to her - being married I kind of didn't want to seem to pushy or inquisitive about it, plus I was kind of pissed that this was happening even though I don't really know why. But inside it's pretty painful for me. I don't make friends easily and when I do I try really hard to be the best friend I can because I don't want to lose them, and losing a friend is just gut wrenching in a way I can't really explain. Generally being away from my family and having a lot of personal poo poo going on together with being completely overloaded academically is just killing me inside already and this poo poo doesn't help. I feel like I should go and try to make new friends but school is so busy that I just can't justify the time commitment and my few friends from 1L are in different classes now.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Post the email(s)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

disjoe posted:

I bet (no data to back this up) most future law students go into undergrad knowing they want to go to law school.

And that those same people major in history or poli sci because "that's what lawyers major in."

Anecdotally, these are not true. People major in political science and history because they like those things (their previous experience being AP U.S. History or Government). Most people who express an interest in law school have no idea what's involved, it's just a job they've heard of that sounds like an extension of the things they liked in their social science major.

Source: I have worked with undergrads at Big Ten institutions nearly my entire adult life.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Throatwarbler posted:

Ugh, I'm feeling so depressed that I think I might be suffereing from some kind of brain chemical inbalance.

So throughout 1L year I became really good friends with a classmate and we spent a lot of time studying together. We still were friends until the beginning of the semester when bascially she "ghosted" me, blocked me on all social media, ignored all attempts at contact, etc, out of the blue. Because this was before classes started and I was still travelling all over the place for interviews I didn't really notice for a while, and after I did I was legit concerned for her wellbeing because it seemed like she just dropped off the face of the earth. I eventually got around to inquiring with some mutual aquaintances and she's fine, and still goes to the same school and everything, which makes the whole ghosting thing a bit weird because we were still going to run into each other in the hallways. SO anyway we still do obviously pass each ther in the hallways and she just barely acknowledges me or just ignores me entirely, and I do the same to her - being married I kind of didn't want to seem to pushy or inquisitive about it, plus I was kind of pissed that this was happening even though I don't really know why. But inside it's pretty painful for me. I don't make friends easily and when I do I try really hard to be the best friend I can because I don't want to lose them, and losing a friend is just gut wrenching in a way I can't really explain. Generally being away from my family and having a lot of personal poo poo going on together with being completely overloaded academically is just killing me inside already and this poo poo doesn't help. I feel like I should go and try to make new friends but school is so busy that I just can't justify the time commitment and my few friends from 1L are in different classes now.

Getting to the bottom of her cold shoulder will be far more difficult than making new friends. Show up to your current classes early, make small talk to the people sitting next to you, eventually ask if they want to get together to study. Or join some service org that the law school has. Seriously, going through law school alone is far far harder than with friends to complain about bullshit with, and your wife will get tired of her being the exclusive outlet for law school BS. You're at WashUStL right? Do they have some sport they're good at that people at the law school go to?

Please tell me you didn't ask the girl if she's a member of an obscure Jewish sect.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Please tell me you didn't ask the girl if she's a member of an obscure Jewish sect.

Actually, please tell us if that's the case and also post the email about it of you have one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I may get to see the inside of a courtroom sooner than expected as I just received a notice of impending prosecution. Yaay.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Paging Toona.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Not enough pharmacy chat in this thread.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
has a wife, pining for a girl who ghosted him, it's amazing

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This thread is depressing.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

has a wife, pining for a girl who ghosted him, it's amazing

You'd think someone who attends a private Midwestern law school outside the T14 and vacations in Dubai would be better adjusted.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Now that toona has become a jaded 3L latching onto being a public defender, the thread's dramatic arc is provided by throatwarbler and the English who just started online law school at the age of 40 and is being prosecuted for something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Meanwhile i figured out how to make a 15"+ burrito that weighs 4-5 lbs. Gonna set up a challenge that if you can eat it in under 30 minutes you get a gift card to the smoke shop i park in front of.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Now that toona has become a jaded 3L latching onto being a public defender, the thread's dramatic arc is provided by throatwarbler and the English who just started online law school at the age of 40 and is being prosecuted for something.

I feel like I underserved this thread when my biggest drama in law school for the past three years was not getting offered a job after my second summer. Turned out to be the best thing they could have done for me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

the English who just started online law school at the age of 40 and is being prosecuted for something.

I didn't even manage a week without running afoul of the law. (it's for something unrelated to bad schooling decisions)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

Meanwhile i figured out how to make a 15"+ burrito that weighs 4-5 lbs. Gonna set up a challenge that if you can eat it in under 30 minutes you get a gift card to the smoke shop i park in front of.

how much of that weight is meat. this is important

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Throatwarbler posted:

You can only use so many excuses as to why you haven’t filed the divorce complaint yet before they get pissed.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

mastershakeman posted:

how much of that weight is meat. this is important

I’m more curious about the doughty tortilla(s) that will hold this monstrosity together.

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't make friends easily and when I do I try really hard to be the best friend I can because I don't want to lose them, and losing a friend is just gut wrenching in a way I can't really explain.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you channelled your loneliness and depression into a powerful beam of crippling insecurity and clinginess at this poor girl, and that she tolerated it out of politeness for a year and then couldn't take it anymore. And/or she assumed you were trying to take the relationship in a direction she had no interest in.

Forgive me for being blunt, but your past posts in this thread haven't exactly shown you to be someone with a solid grasp of what is socially acceptable in the new culture/society you find yourself.

I tended to believe that people don't go to law school to make lifelong friends. That's what highschool and undergrad are for. Trying to foster deep meaningful relationships where you can open up about their depression and loneliness in a study group writing Torts CANs is probably not going to work out.

In other words: make friends outside of law school.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Tipps posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you channelled your loneliness and depression into a powerful beam of crippling insecurity and clinginess at this poor girl, and that she tolerated it out of politeness for a year and then couldn't take it anymore. And/or she assumed you were trying to take the relationship in a direction she had no interest in.

Forgive me for being blunt, but your past posts in this thread haven't exactly shown you to be someone with a solid grasp of what is socially acceptable in the new culture/society you find yourselves. I want to believe that people don't go to law school to make lifelong friends. That's what highschool and undergrad are for. Trying to foster deep meaningful relationships where you can open up about their depression and loneliness in a study group writing Torts CANs is probably not going to work out.

In other words: make friends outside of law school.

Alternatively, if you really want friends, do what I did and get on a moot court team, get a paid vacation to a large city for a few days, compete for a few hours, and drink yourself dumb with other law students happy for the release.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Alternatively, if you really want friends, do what I did and get on a moot court team, get a paid vacation to a large city for a few days, compete for a few hours, and drink yourself dumb with other law students happy for the release.

Find your second wife.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Drop out and go into tech.

Seriously I'm on my honeymoon and I'm like "Honey I gotta do my emails."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Drop out and go into tech.

I'm in government IT. I've never worked a minute of overtime. I put in about 2-3 hours of actual work a day. Even with WAY too much debt from law school, I own a house, have two cars, and will be able to put my kids through college. Counting federal holidays, annual leave, and sick leave, I get 34.25 days off a year. I'm only in the office one day a week.

I could make more outside of government, but hey, I'm lazy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Tipps posted:

I tended to believe that people don't go to law school to make lifelong friends. That's what highschool and undergrad are for. Trying to foster deep meaningful relationships where you can open up about their depression and loneliness in a study group writing Torts CANs is probably not going to work out.

While this is true, I do think that people forge pretty strong friendships, especially in 1L year among your section.

Some of my best friends in the world are people from my 1L section and my study group.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

I signed up for the Moot Court competition despite having zero interest in litigation and swearing up and down to my employer next summer than all I wanted to do was transactions because one of my best friends from 1L is doing it and invited me to partner up. It absolutely sucks rear end and I hate every minute of it but it's better to be hating it with your friends.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

I signed up for the Moot Court competition despite having zero interest in litigation and swearing up and down to my employer next summer than all I wanted to do was transactions because one of my best friends from 1L is doing it and invited me to partner up. It absolutely sucks rear end and I hate every minute of it but it's better to be hating it with your friends.

That's the spirit

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I don't understand what a transactional lawyer actually does.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It stays together because it's assembled with four tortillas that have all been lightly toasted with layers of cheese between them melting it together.

A good hunk of the weight of the first one was meat because the people i was making it for didn't want any onions/pico/guac. So the inaugural megarito was black beans, refried beans, seasoned ground beef, queso, shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and a little fire sauce.

It was solid as any burrito should be when rolled and could support it's own weight thanks to my double hulled design.

Edit: the handle on my cold table is around 5" long for size comparison.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thread over. That is the best post ever and you need to move to my state so I can eat one of those every day and die of obesity and or heart attack sooner than I already will.

Except you need to do a shredded barbacoa beef instead of ground beef.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Nice! posted:

It stays together because it's assembled with four tortillas that have all been lightly toasted with layers of cheese between them melting it together.

A good hunk of the weight of the first one was meat because the people i was making it for didn't want any onions/pico/guac. So the inaugural megarito was black beans, refried beans, seasoned ground beef, queso, shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, and a little fire sauce.

It was solid as any burrito should be when rolled and could support it's own weight thanks to my double hulled design.

Edit: the handle on my cold table is around 5" long for size comparison.

oh hell yes ship one of those bad boys to me I can handle it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CaptainScraps posted:

Find 'i's to dot, 't's to cross and try to sneak in undotted 'i's and uncrossed 't's for the other side to miss.

I will take your carnitas to the next level in exchange for burritos

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arcturas posted:

Thread over. That is the best post ever and you need to move to my state so I can eat one of those every day and die of obesity and or heart attack sooner than I already will.

Except you need to do a shredded barbacoa beef instead of ground beef.

I've got baller as gently caress carnitas, too.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

Mostly bark at our paralegals with requests for charter documents

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CaptainScraps posted:

they're like a programmer but for contracts

you tell them you want to buy a company, they write a contract, and then in ten years it turns out they missed a semicolon and whoops you dont actually own anything

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've got baller as gently caress carnitas, too.

Tragically I don't eat pork. Can you do carnitas with other animals? (I ask because there is a local place that makes fantastic lamb bacon. So I have finally experienced the joy of eating a BLT.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've made shredded beef in that style but i'm not 100% sure what to call it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What's with these married adults feeling like they need to have "friends" and a "social life"?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

What's with these married adults feeling like they need to have "friends" and a "social life"?

You're right, tacos are superior to both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

I’m doing this next week in scenic Detroit.