Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Braksgirl posted:

Kylo Ren did not take kindly to my May The Force Be With You shirt. He also didn't care for me asking how his dad was doing.

He asked my girlfriend if she was with the resistance. Since she could never remember who the good guys/bad guys are in all the star wars movies, she turned to me and asked for help.

I told her to say yes.

Kylo Ren was not pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
What really got me was two groups ahead, was a couple from Brazil, and Mickey said, "I hear I have some friends from Brazil [Portuguese something something something]" and their faces dropped in shock and I lost it. To see him talk and then talk in other languages? Mind blown.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I had Tiffin's for for lunch today and everything was really good with one exception: the ramen noodles were super over cooked. The pork belly was perfect (and it wasn't me who ordered it because I have learned my lesson about ordering ramen from places that don't specialize in ramen), but both the noodles and broth were really flat.

The drink I got was super good though and I helped save snow leopards so I was happy.

Other food updates: Boatwrights is probably the best cajun food on property and STK makes very very good steaks (but maybe get appetizers and desserts elsewhere in the Springs.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Raglan Road is the best at Disney Springs and I will hear no other opinions.

https://instagram.com/p/BaAl3vYDy8U/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Zero One posted:

Raglan Road is the best at Disney Springs and I will hear no other opinions.

https://instagram.com/p/BaAl3vYDy8U/

Ah sweet I was just there yesterday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Had their wild boar burger last week and it was fantastic. Great onion rings too.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Renegret posted:

He asked my girlfriend if she was with the resistance. Since she could never remember who the good guys/bad guys are in all the star wars movies, she turned to me and asked for help.

I told her to say yes.

Kylo Ren was not pleased.

I'm a pretty bad bitch most of the time, but I have to admit, Kylo Ren scares the crap out of me. He's so tall and I'm short and he just stands over me and is intimidating af.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If yall have the inside scoop on when the Haunted Mansion tikis are showing back up, let me know.

I'll do whatever it takes to get one short of robbing the delivery truck.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Tim Whatley posted:

If yall have the inside scoop on when the Haunted Mansion tikis are showing back up, let me know.

I'll do whatever it takes to get one short of robbing the delivery truck.

They aren't doing one this year as far as I am aware.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

So there's kind of a promo today? If you book a trip from now until Nov 15 for travel ANYTIME in 2018, you can get a special magic band shipped to you before Christmas this year to put under your tree. It's meant to be a giftable Disney vacation thing? Anyway, there is no cost savings, you just get the bands right away.

This is cool except...it's a promo and as we all know, you can't stack discounts. I'm not sure how this will play out in terms of other discounts in the future, but it's not worth it if you've already got a reservation that qualifies for a discount. I think what will happen is that you leave this promo on until you get the bands and then you can switch to a different promo later, but I have not gotten verification on that.

The bands look like this:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Depends on if that band is gonna be available by any other means because that's a cool looking band and if it has special scanner affects, even better and people would probably pay top dollar on eBay if the above are true.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wonder if magic band limited edition mania has calmed down. When I was at AK they had a few Cars 3 MB left, and that was a LE run of only 2000. I bought that one and an Enchanted Tiki Room 45th anniversary one a few months ago thinking they would sell out fast even though we're not going back to WDW for another year or so.

DLR hotel question: Anyone have an opinion about the Tropicana Inn across the street? Thinking about hitting DLR again this January for a few nights, last year we stayed at the Fairfield, but the Tropicana pricing and being 2 blocks closer is tempting. We can fly for free on points, so the trip would have to be done on the cheap if we go again.

If we keep going back to DLR I might have to pick up some VGC DVC points

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

skipdogg posted:

I wonder if magic band limited edition mania has calmed down. When I was at AK they had a few Cars 3 MB left, and that was a LE run of only 2000. I bought that one and an Enchanted Tiki Room 45th anniversary one a few months ago thinking they would sell out fast even though we're not going back to WDW for another year or so.

I got the tiki room one and never looked back. Just give me bands that do cool poo poo and will surprise even some newer CMs when I scan. I still get weird looks at HS when I use my Donald Jedi band.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I got my girlfriend an Olaf Christmas one from the party a few years ago and it loving sucks because it flashes the terminal red when we enter a park and they always think she doesn't have a ticket

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

skipdogg posted:

DLR hotel question: Anyone have an opinion about the Tropicana Inn across the street? Thinking about hitting DLR again this January for a few nights, last year we stayed at the Fairfield, but the Tropicana pricing and being 2 blocks closer is tempting. We can fly for free on points, so the trip would have to be done on the cheap if we go again.

I haven't, but my parents did and they hated it. Said the rooms were dirty.

I did stay at the Desert Palms with them. It's more south but still on the same block as Disneyland (specifically being just south of Cars Land and within view of the Hyperion Theatre). The walk is certainly longer but you don't have to cross the street, plus it's right next to a 7-11 and just across the street from a Walgreens and a CVS. Parking's free and you can load up on free breakfast (which isn't the best, but it's edible and can save you money). Rooms are fairly decent, the only downside is the fact that it used to be two hotels that they renovated into one, so if you're in the wrong building then you have to go all the way to the mainfloor, get in a different elevator, and go all the way to the top floor to get to the breakfast. So if you can get a decent rate there, you'll be fine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Tim Whatley posted:

I got my girlfriend an Olaf Christmas one from the party a few years ago and it loving sucks because it flashes the terminal red when we enter a park and they always think she doesn't have a ticket

That's some poorly trained staff then because they should know the error light is blue specifically because they didn't want the super negative connotation that comes with a flashing red light to be associated with it. Surprising they went with pure red for a LE band effect.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I haven't, but my parents did and they hated it. Said the rooms were dirty.

I did stay at the Desert Palms with them. It's more south but still on the same block as Disneyland (specifically being just south of Cars Land and within view of the Hyperion Theatre). The walk is certainly longer but you don't have to cross the street, plus it's right next to a 7-11 and just across the street from a Walgreens and a CVS. Parking's free and you can load up on free breakfast (which isn't the best, but it's edible and can save you money). Rooms are fairly decent, the only downside is the fact that it used to be two hotels that they renovated into one, so if you're in the wrong building then you have to go all the way to the mainfloor, get in a different elevator, and go all the way to the top floor to get to the breakfast. So if you can get a decent rate there, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm seeing mixed reviews online for the Tropicana. Some saying rooms are filthy and pictures of roaches and poo poo, others are saying they're freshly renovated and super clean. There's only so much they can do with those old buildings short of demolishing them and starting over.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

When I went to training at Disneyland last year, they took us on tours of several of the Good Neighbor properties. None of them were at the hotels closest to the parks. That says something to me and it ain't good.

As for that new band, I don't know what it does if it lights up or anything.

If anyone is thinking of booking WDW for this December, I'd wait til Monday. Just sayin.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone here done the AK trek? Thoughts?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

skipdogg posted:

Tiki room is still available. My brother got one this weekend.

Some Pandora ones are still available too. I think the passholder is gone but the others are still at the store.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

couldcareless posted:

I got the tiki room one and never looked back. Just give me bands that do cool poo poo and will surprise even some newer CMs when I scan. I still get weird looks at HS when I use my Donald Jedi band.

I have both those and can't wait until my next trip to use them. Got a lot of comments on the Donald one last time, and it was only like a month old

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Has anyone done the Steam Train tour? My dad is a huge train nerd, and I'd love for him to geek out if it's good.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soc...ocid=spartanntp

Alex Morgan managed to dig the hole deeper, claimed that any ban against her would be lifted "tomorrow" to police on the day of.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

The dining hall at French Quarter hasn't been anywhere as busy as my first night so I'll put that down to a one off occurance.

Micky's not so scary Halloween party was great!

Food and wine festival is also good, I really liked the spicy chicken on a bao bun from the China stall.

Limoncello Mule was really nice from Italy but way way too small for $14.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

As of this Sunday, Disney is going to be allowing dogs (obviously pets, not service dogs which were already allowed) to stay in the rooms at certain resorts. It'll be AoA, POR, YC, and the Ft. Wilderness cabins. With the exception of the cabins, I truly think this is a terrible idea. I love dogs, really, but this is opening up a whole host of problems for mousekeeping, which is already not that great as it is, especially at POR. I am not a fan of this idea.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Braksgirl posted:

As of this Sunday, Disney is going to be allowing dogs (obviously pets, not service dogs which were already allowed) to stay in the rooms at certain resorts. It'll be AoA, POR, YC, and the Ft. Wilderness cabins. With the exception of the cabins, I truly think this is a terrible idea. I love dogs, really, but this is opening up a whole host of problems for mousekeeping, which is already not that great as it is, especially at POR. I am not a fan of this idea.

Agreed but drat I can't wait to book a trip to the cabins with my baby dog.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Braksgirl posted:

Are there (or will there be) kennel services provided?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

They already have the Best Friends kennel. You can already keep your dog there for the length of your stay.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We're going to be using Best Friends when we do our next cruise, wife's coworkers have said it's great and their dogs were happy there.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Disney is going to be allowing dogs to stay in the rooms at certain resorts.

At home I have neighbours with dogs that don't stop barking when left alone.. if I had that on any holiday I wouldn't be happy.

They won't be able to be left unattended in a room surely?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Biggz posted:

At home I have neighbours with dogs that don't stop barking when left alone.. if I had that on any holiday I wouldn't be happy.

They won't be able to be left unattended in a room surely?

Yes, you can leave them in a room unattended for up to 7 hours, though I don't know how they'll police that. If they get complaints about your dog barking for 30 min, you have to come back to your room. Again, don't know how they're going to police that or what the consequences will be if you don't come back immediately.

Additionally, you must be present in your room for mousekeeping to come and clean so you have to call them and set up a time. But I suspect that will mean people just won't have their rooms cleaned, which, with up to 2 dogs in one room seems like a problem.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm not against the idea of taking your dog on vacation with you, but I don't think this is the vacation to do it with. I mean, they can't go with you to the parks anyway, and all these extra rules and caveats are just going to cause problems for both the staff and the guests with their dogs.

We used to do yearly house rentals at Edisto Island. That's the kind of vacation you bring your dog on.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They had dogs at AKL during the hurricane and never noticed it tbh.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Empress Brosephine posted:

They had dogs at AKL during the hurricane and never noticed it tbh.

Yeah, but those dogs were there because they had to be during an emergency. But it's usually not allowed. Once it's kosher to bring your dog, freaking everyone with purse dogs will start doing it. Then you'll notice.

I agree that some vacations are way more suited to dogs than others. You wanna go to the beach and let your dog run around there, have it. I just don't think Disney is a great venue for that.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My dog goes to a local daycare that treats him insanely well for like $40/night when I go on my trips. Can't even imagine bringing him to live in a Disney hotel for a week. This whole thing just seems strange and a bad idea.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
uuuuughhhhh. God I hope this gets canceled before my trip. Am not paying YC prices to deal with someone's yapping dog on vacation. Also wonder how well they clean the room after, I have a dog dander allergy.

e: on the disney parks blog they aren't responding to anyone asking if there will be designated pet free rooms for allergens. Just saying to people who ask vaguer questions that they'll clean the room thoroughly after each guest.

Wonder if I should go from club level YC to garden view BC just to not deal with it.

Fejsze fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 13, 2017

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looks like there's gonna be some Halloween Trader Sam's cups again. Better go get in line if you want one.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can't imagine this ending well for them, might be a short term small revenue bump, but I would wager increased damages and cleaning costs will kill this program pretty quick.

The wording sort of implies the dog friendly rooms might be limited or specific? Maybe not.

I think this is a terrible idea, but the mouse see's another revenue stream, so they're going to go for it. The room rates are already high, they just increased the extra adult fees across the board, and now this. 4 adults in a POR room with a dog would be an extra 100 bucks a night.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From what I have heard it's likely to be ground floor rooms in certain sections of the resorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Disboards has some information in their thread about this, they have a poll posted as well, over 200 responses, 85% negative.

Sounds like a lot of rules, but ya'll know how often they get enforced.

quote:

-Designated Rooms ONLY in designated section of specific resorts ONLY
-Designated walking paths ONLY
-MUST be LEASHED at all times
-NO Public spaces
-NO roaming around resorts
-NO Restaurants
-NO Bars
-NO Pools
-Owners MUST present vaccination documentation
-Resorts were chosen based on their size and layout.

quote:

This is only for canines, and not other pets
The add on includes Pluto's Welcome Amenity (room/dog friendly items)
Dogs will not be allowed in restaurants, pool areas, and recreation spots
Dogs must be properly vaccinated
This is a one year test for the moment through October 15, 2018
Guests can have up to two dogs in a room
No weight or breed restrictions
Guests can make CMs aware of noises dogs and then owners will be notified
Guests can use their own personal crate/carriers in the rooms
Most guests with dogs will be in a specific area of the resort
Guests can travel with dogs on magical express but dog must be in a pet carrier
There will be designated pet spaces
Pet medicine can be stored by Disney until room is ready
No travel insurance for dogs
If a guest does not like dogs they can be accommodated to be away from the dogs
They will work with guests with allergies
Disney is sending guests letters notifying them of the dog addition to those who are already booked