Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs

EvanTH posted:

probably okay, just be sure to never call it "chai tea" in front of Pakistanis because "chai" is Urdu for "tea" and they'll think you an utter fool

Actually Chai comes of the Mandarin Chinese version of the word, while Tea comes of the Min Chinese version of the word.

*sips some Da Hong Pao tea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

GSW probably spreads it around too much to get any top 5 WS producers, but KD is a perennial top PER guy.

If KD remains healthy he could finish at the top. If he played a full season last year he could've been #1 in WS.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Are we doing that pre-season prediction poll this year, or have I just missed it?

So far there are 113 respondents. Biggest turnout ever:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5jlRXMKx2syJOudEMHtkJj65fvCiCEV-BE1E8nfIYIElhAQ/viewform?c=0&w=1

xbilkis posted:

Draymond Green: "Why don't all these dumb loving teams just add the second-best player in the league to an already-elite roster?"

Good to have some extra juice for hating the Warriors heading into the season

Green is exuding hubris. You'd think after being suspended in the 2016 finals he'd have some humbleness. He better hope KD remains healthy in 2018.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Katana_Warrior posted:

Milos Teodosic looks like Parappa the rapper's dad

holy poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Henchman of Santa posted:

The rarely seen meltdown about someone else's meltdown

lol

Athanatos posted:

https://sports.yahoo.com/reggie-mil...m_medium=social

Kyrie Irving out there pretending like he didn't know he was going to be traded. Also, they are apparently making an Uncle Drew movie.

Everyone already has Kyle Kuzma written in.

I have a feeling the Uncle Drew movie won't be good. It would be hilarious if it opened against a LeBron Space Jam 2.

Also, this rookie class is going to have a fun roty race.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Senf posted:

holy poo poo

hah yeah that's very good

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
kick balls punch balls, it's all in the mind

Known basketball commentator and twitter rager Zach Lowe predicted LeBron will leave the Cavaliers :2bong:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lonzo will win rookie of the year if he even remotely is in the conversation, even if he doesn't deserve it.

lowly abject turd posted:

wow, thanks. i was sure that was the first place i looked. my bad

NBA.com's website makes finding anything on it hard so I don't blame you.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/918958442634711042

but what happens to the podcast

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Carmelo Anthony responds to report of his Jordan Brand signature shoe ending
http://newsok.com/carmelo-anthony-responds-to-report-of-his-jordan-brand-signature-shoe-ending/article/5567566

“What? No, no. He just told me that just now," Anthony said. “It’s false. False," Anthony said. "Let’s not even discuss that."

NASA test ‘NEW Concorde’: 2,179mph jet to fly from New York to London in 3 hours REVEALED
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/647526/nasa-test-new-concorde-supersonic-jet-new-york-london

Hope for European NBA teams spring back to life.

There are some good stats mentioned here.

"92 percent of MVPs finished in the top four in MVP voting at some point prior to winning MVP outright. (LeBron has finished in the top four 11 times -- by far the most of any active player.) The King remains the King.

If teams weren't high on you coming into the league, chances are you won't be an MVP. Every MVP in the modern era has been drafted No. 15 or higher. Good news for Giannis. Bad news for Butler.

Individual advanced stats are key; 84 percent of MVPs registered an average of at least 0.20 WS/48 in the season prior to winning the MVP. The Brow's candidacy gets a close shave.

Numbers don't lie. Players who deliver at least a 24.0 PER in the season prior to winning account for 82 percent of all MVPs. That's a full nine points higher than the league-average PER.

Sorry, Russ. Voters get bored. A whopping 79 percent of MVPs didn't win it the year before. The only to do so (in the modern era): LeBron, Steph, Nash, Tim, Moses, Bird, Jordan and Magic."

Surprised that they didn't mention the vast majority of MVP winners being on the one or two seed.

the_american_dream posted:

Ig i can't ask who its targeted to thats obvious but who wants this

It could get a lot of views and clicks based on how popular she is. We're talking billions of views here.

"I am thankful to Complex for the opportunity and to Gilbert for being a part of it," Khalifa said. "I can’t wait to offend and upset a whole new fan base." Arenas also shared his excitement around the new show. "I always knew that I wanted to work in sports media after retiring, and Complex just made sense. Being able to talk sports while being myself is truly rewarding."

Complex's own Pierce Simpson will serve as moderator (or "Coach Pierce," if you will) as Khalifa and Arenas square up over the biggest stories in sports.

I would most definitely occasionally watch Mia Khalifa debate Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

New team, new guests. I don't know who on the Hawks would be interesting to hear though

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

that is unacceptable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nx57KONzVo

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

nooooooooooooooooo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

woj coming in to clean up after the shambomb

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/918960203038588928

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Richard Jefferson was one of the best defenders the Cavs had in the finals last year.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

MY BOY KAY NOOOOOOOOO

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

woj coming in to clean up after the shambomb

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/918960203038588928

I like how it says "European" draft rights and doesn't specify who

"Well what do you want back?"
"Some Europeans would get it done I guess"

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Rick posted:

Richard Jefferson was one of the best defenders the Cavs had in the finals last year.

It's sad, recently he said he "sacrificed his way out of here" and he was right. Retire and become an assistant, Rjeff.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

MY BOY KAY NOOOOOOOOO

I loff heem too. We weep together now

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Brolander posted:

I loff heem too. We weep together now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nlWo-VBC8

special kay
:negative:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Gilbert moving a cool guy like Jefferson for cap space/magical euro beans isn't going to make Lebron happy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

they're sending two second round picks and atlanta is going to waive both of them per woj lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

.... why couldn't the Cavs just waive them? I don't get it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

.... why couldn't the Cavs just waive them? I don't get it.

Salary relief.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

burn atlanta to the GROUND

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tae posted:

Salary relief.

Can you explain? I'm a hockey guy.

Do their cap hits count if they just waive them directly? I assume this is a Brock Osweiller to Cleveland move?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can you explain? I'm a hockey guy.

Do their cap hits count if they just waive them directly?

the contracts are guaranteed for those two, if they waive them they still have to pay them. the cavs are very much over the cap, so every dollar costs dan gilbert like 3 or whatever

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

the contracts are guaranteed for those two, if they waive them they still have to pay them. the cavs are very much over the cap, so every dollar costs dan gilbert like 3 or whatever

Got it. Thanks.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

anyway burn atlanta to the ground kay is better than garbage rear end dennis schroeder smfh gently caress the hawks im glad they're gonna win 10 games next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/918963602098401280

Fred does not give a fuuuuuuck

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

burn atlanta to the GROUND

it was already tried but they built it again.

very thibodeauesque playing three 6'10+ guys

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally if you see a team trade players for basically nothing (2nd rounders), it is for cap relief. That is because some teams are in the luxury tax, paying 2 or 3 times for a player's worth.

Like I think the Warriors are paying 15 million for Nick Young when his actual salary is like 5 million.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

An esoteric Phoenix Wright reference? In MY Goos and Views?!?!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

Here’s all you need to know: Kobe Bean Bryant baby

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Isn’t that their hypothetical best lineup? I mean lol Bulls but still

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Papercut posted:

Could you rephrase that in the form of almonds and cranberries?

NBA Offseason Goos/Views: Could you rephrase that in the form of almonds and cranberries?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Libertine posted:

Isn’t that their hypothetical best lineup? I mean lol Bulls but still

lol at Markkanen or Mirotic covering 3's

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
no lenny beans OR bron bron for opening day? why even have it

https://twitter.com/JMcDonald_SAEN/status/918970928171712517

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^^That's what Kawhi looked like when he heard about Bashez.

I really don't like Markkanen at the 3, but their 3 best guys all play big so

chunkles posted:

very thibodeauesque playing three 6'10+ guys

? Thibs likes playing 2 traditional bigs, but for SF he just kept playing Deng forever then Butler and Dunleavy. I don't think he ever played Gibson/Noah/Gasol for any length of time or anything.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Lockback posted:

? Thibs likes playing 2 traditional bigs, but for SF he just kept playing Deng forever then Butler and Dunleavy. I don't think he ever played Gibson/Noah/Gasol for any length of time or anything.

I swear on my life there were some Gibson-at-SF lineups but maybe that was just a game or two

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dexo posted:

lol at Markkanen or Mirotic covering 3's

I don't think that specifically is really a big deal. None of their players are good defensively so...

Maybe Robin Lopez is slightly above negative? Mirotic is okay? That's about all I can say positive about their ability to guard anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
FAO Bulls, Hawks and Knicks fans - Euroleague started yesterday and Luka Doncic put up 27/4/4 on 14 shots in 26 minutes as Real Madrid won 88-74. He's probably the best European prospect ever and I'd be very excited to draft him no. 1 next summer.

• Locked thread