Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
It's not really traditional Mechwarrior, but the MechAssault series was actually pretty fun for what it was. Also simplified enough to be run on console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

MechAssault is a pretty fun third person arcade shooter, I enjoyed it. It doesn't really have much to do with Mechwarrior or the Battletech universe though except the names.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wBYUqsblI

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTahcPcoJg

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Stringbean, these are my two Dire Wolf builds I tend to rely on that I told you about in game. The biggest draw back to the Dire is it's so god damned slow, and really can't torso twist. But, if you position well, you can make enemy mechs melt.

This is my main Dire. It does really well for me. I used to use 6 Small Pulse lasers up until they got nerfed. It did great at tearing off lights legs that got too close.

This Dire runs extremely hot, but is a great punisher if an enemy mech gets too close to you. Swap out the ER-LL for a laser of choice. I use it for early, long range poking, and if I lose an arm. Works for me, maybe not for everyone. It can at least hurt sniper mechs alongside the U-UAC 2s. This one is mostly un-skilled ATM, but can pull in some massive damage numbers. Swap out some U-UAC2 ammo for heat sinks if that's your thing. The ER-ML are really more panic button weapons and quick finishers rather than main armaments.

These two Dires and my 10 ER-ML Nova are my huge money makers when I really need to earn C-Bills. It's how I bought my Jager a new light engine really god-damned fast. Most sane people would invest heavily into the armor and skeleton nodes, but I've been doing better with the extra mobility.

I wouldn't say go out and buy a Dire again after you sold yours, but if you ever want one again, this is what works for me in QP.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 13, 2017

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

The Repo Man posted:

Stringbean, these are my two Dire Wolf builds I tend to rely on that I told you about in game. The biggest draw back to the Dire is it's so god damned slow, and really can't torso twist. But, if you position well, you can make enemy mechs melt.

This is my main Dire. It does really well for me. I used to use Small Pulse lasers up until they got nerfed.

This Dire runs extremely hot, but is a great punisher if an enemy mech gets too close to you. Swap out the ER-LL for a laser of choice. I use it for early, long range poking. Works for me, not for everyone. It can at least hurt sniper mechs alongside the U-UAC 2s. This one is mostly un-skilled.

These two Dires and my 10 ER-ML Nova are my huge money makers when I really need to earn C-Bills. It's how I bought my Jager a new light engine really god-damned fast. Most sane people would invest heavily into the armor and skeleton nodes, but I've been doing better with the extra mobility.

I wouldn't say go out and buy a Dire again after you sold yours, but if you ever want one again, this is what works for me in QP.

Thanks man, these look fun. I don't know when I'll be aiming to purchase another DWF, but I'll keep these builds in mind.

I've been prodding asses with my lights lately. Which is weird, I use to be a big fan of Heavies. But I've been gravitating towards Lights, and the more light weight mediums more and more.

JVN-11B - ECM, Stealth Armor, 4x SRM4. Switch on Stealth Armor on a side approach, turn it off right before your first alpha. It has problems with mediums, but it absolutely rips up the backsides of heavies and assaults. (Like the Orion IIC from earlier, who whined when you guys didnt protect it)

RVN-3L - ECM, 3x ML, 2x SRM6. This one isn't as sneaky as the Javelin. But if you coordinate well enough, it's brutal. Runs hot.

Fuckin, COM-TDK: 2xERML, 2xMPL. Poke around your bigger mechs, rip off other lights legs, then rake the backside of bigger mechs.

I know everyone in this thread are elite super mech pilots, but I really wanted to share these 3 mechs. They're fun as gently caress, the Raven in particular is a poo poo load more fun if you dont play it with those loving ERLL

edit: Also PS, the Ice Ferret with 6x ERML is still my jam. MY. JAM.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
The 4x ERML 165kph pirates bane with stealth armor is pretty good if you love lights. It's great at positioning for backdoor action and making the other team turn away from their firing line.

The 4x SPL version can eat slow assaults but is garbage against other lights.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

how bad was the IS spl nerf?

Edit: the 3 MPL pirates bane was my go to when I was more active. Its counter intuitive because you're leaving a hardpoint unfilled, but its a nice mix and even ground. Your range is 220; your alpha is 28 and you still that quick pulse duration damage dump. its good for snapshooting while being at medium-ish range.
apparently it works with stealth armor, too.

how dumb of an idea is a light engine PB?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 13, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
PGI hosed something up and nothing is counting towards the new event: https://mwomercs.com/events/11
People are crying everywhere for PGI to fix it but there have been 0 response yet.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

TjyvTompa posted:

PGI hosed something up and nothing is counting towards the new event: https://mwomercs.com/events/11
People are crying everywhere for PGI to fix it but there have been 0 response yet.

Their response was that they have an ISP outage at their office and they cant look into the matter.

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258134-battle-for-luthien-faction-play-event/page__view__findpost__p__5916822

Edit: Also, this guy's signature: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258134-battle-for-luthien-faction-play-event/page__st__240__p__5916888#entry5916888 :psyduck:

johntherussian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 13, 2017

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

This was true. We did have an ISP outage. I worked around it and we have fixed the problem with the Luthien event. It will run properly during the next Faction Play cycle which starts at 3:00PM PDT.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Number19 posted:

This was true. We did have an ISP outage. I worked around it and we have fixed the problem with the Luthien event. It will run properly during the next Faction Play cycle which starts at 3:00PM PDT.

Will it retroactively count all the games people have played or does it start from the beginning at 3 PM?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

TjyvTompa posted:

Will it retroactively count all the games people have played or does it start from the beginning at 3 PM?

I don't have an answer for this one unfortunately.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
No retroactive reward.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
All in all the FP event this week was fantastic. It seemed like every window-licking pug went IS. Got 3 - 4k+ damage matches. Also managed to grind out over 50 mil c-bills over the course of 3 days.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
MWLL just got an update. It has a standalone launcher/installer/patcher and a bunch of new stuff (including HAGs!) So if you've been wanting to try it out now's the time.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

johntherussian posted:

All in all the FP event this week was fantastic. It seemed like every window-licking pug went IS. Got 3 - 4k+ damage matches. Also managed to grind out over 50 mil c-bills over the course of 3 days.

All the cool boys were busy doing scouting.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

All the cool boys were busy doing scouting.

As someone who hasn't played in over a year, this is almost indecipherable to me. I think smoke jaguar is taking a bunch of planets?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I'm buying the Osiris. It's a Raven that can boat more stuff.

Just no ECM, which is a shame.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

BattleTech posted:

As someone who hasn't played in over a year, this is almost indecipherable to me. I think smoke jaguar is taking a bunch of planets?

The invasion bar is 100% Clan, the Scouting bar is 100% IS. Balance achieved!

In other news, looks like they are pulling back on the laser nerfs: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258318-energy-weapon-patch-update/

quote:

Medium Laser
Cooldown Increased to 3.5 (from 3.0)
ER Medium Laser
Cooldown Increased to 4 (from 3.35)
Clan ER Medium Laser
Cooldown Increased to 4.5 (from 3.75)
Clan Heavy Medium Laser
Cooldown Increased to 5.5 (from 5.0)

The changes to the GHR-5H, GHR-5HC and GHR-5P were being made in anticipation of the original, global Energy change originally outlined the Patch Notes. As a result of the adjustments outlined above, we will not be going forward with those Grasshopper Quirk changes in the October patch.

I still don't understand why they feel they need to "fix" lasers. As a primarily LBX/SRM player I do not feel lasers are overpowered in any way.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

TjyvTompa posted:

The invasion bar is 100% Clan, the Scouting bar is 100% IS. Balance achieved!

In other news, looks like they are pulling back on the laser nerfs: https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/258318-energy-weapon-patch-update/

I still don't understand why they feel they need to "fix" lasers. As a primarily LBX/SRM player I do not feel lasers are overpowered in any way.

As someone who mostly uses lasers I guess??? I can see why some builds need a fix, but this wasn't it. The most obvious laser builds, ie. laser vomit, are heat-locked after the first volley or two anyway so all a cooldown nerf is doing is...making no difference to them. On the other hand, it is nerfing sustained laser builds which we see on...not very many mechs because it's a less efficient more risky way to put out damage than vomit. Maybe some of the more brawly laser builds, but those are relatively rare. Outside of boating lasers it's also nerfing lasers as a supplemental weapon in a mixed build which makes me scratch my head.

In my experience, the builds that need to be looked at are the big laser vomit builds like my beloved Hellbringer with 2 heavy larges and 4 er mediums. That thing is terrifying out to a respectable range and from my own experience using it is obviously overpowered. In most mechs a game where I survive to the end has around 400-500 damage as an ok number. In the Hellbringer if I survive to the end then 700-800 damage feels ok and 500 feels like I'm underperforming. It's just that blatantly powerful, and it's not the only mech that can run that particular laser vomit build, a number of clan heavies can do the same thing.

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 17, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

High alpha pinpoint weapons with good range. You can punish a laser boat by pushing, but we all know how well that tends to work in pug games, which is what makes up the majority of MWO matches. If you don't push, then nothing out trades Laser Vomit now that PPC/Gauss is dead.

Medium Lasers (all types) are the only major offender. Their high ghost-heat cap and ludicrous tonnage efficiency make them a bitch and a half to balance, and I think attacking their cooldown is the wrong approach because as we all know lasers are heat capped.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I play mostly Laservom at the moment and I have to say it feels very strong, especially clan. The problem with this nerf was that it cut down DPS which isn't the problem so much as the huge pinpoint alpha.

Trauma Tank posted:

As someone who mostly uses lasers I guess??? I can see why some builds need a fix, but this wasn't it. The most obvious laser builds, ie. laser vomit, are heat-locked after the first volley or two anyway so all a cooldown nerf is doing is...making no difference to them. On the other hand, it is nerfing sustained laser builds which we see on...not very many mechs because it's a less efficient more risky way to put out damage than vomit. Maybe some of the more brawly laser builds, but those are relatively rare. Outside of boating lasers it's also nerfing lasers as a supplemental weapon in a mixed build which makes me scratch my head.

In my experience, the builds that need to be looked at are the big laser vomit builds like my beloved Hellbringer with 2 heavy larges and 4 er mediums. That thing is terrifying out to a respectable range and from my own experience using it is obviously overpowered. In most mechs a game where I survive to the end has around 400-500 damage as an ok number. In the Hellbringer if I survive to the end then 700-800 damage feels ok and 500 feels like I'm underperforming. It's just that blatantly powerful, and it's not the only mech that can run that particular laser vomit build, a number of clan heavies can do the same thing.

This Hellbringer build is the foremost offender. All that firepower in high mounts in a tightly packed area and ECM make it "The King" of trading and hillhumping IMO. There aren't many other mechs where I do 800 damage so regularly and just consider it an OK game instead of a really good one.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 17, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wouldnt it be great if they put torso turn speed back up. Id love the extra survivability for non tank quirked assaults

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Like the others say, the C-HLL is in a good place, glad to see PGI didn't gently caress that up.

Laser vomit is no different than the rear end in a top hat UAC auto fire builds that shred and blind you, I always figured laser vomit was a good counter to that.

What we NEED to fix this poo poo is Reflective and Reactive armor types. So you could build out a mech more fitted to combat the boaters. Just how ECM changed the LRM meta for the better.

Energy draw won't solve laser vomit just like the same way they tried to solve it with ghost heat. The issue is still the pinpoint damage, even with long burn times. Making the DPS lower overall doesn't change that.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 17, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey guys we keep releasing mechs with exclusively energy hardpoints but I don't know why players are using energy weapons so heavily over other weapons."

"Anyone got any ideas? Anyone at all?"

Man I'd love to boat autocannons on lights instead of small or medium lasers but somehow they just won't fit. It is a mystery.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 17, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
PGI pushed the patch back another 24 hours: https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/10/1911-october-17th-patch-time-moved-to-18th-at-2pm
So no new mechs for euros today either, loving fantastic. As a compensation they give you 2 days of premium time and a free mechbay if you have pre-ordered any Escalation pack. I'm starting to get the impression PGI have no idea what they are doing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

So after clans winning the FP event all week, a last minute rush of IS groups turns it into a draw so nobody gets a free mech. :lol:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Great Beer posted:

So after clans winning the FP event all week, a last minute rush of IS groups turns it into a draw so nobody gets a free mech. :lol:

It caused quite a stir, the Clans had been winning all event but a last minute push from IS made it so that nobody got the mech. Pretty funny.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/771tx6/so_the_inner_spheres_little_stunt_earlier_today

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

TjyvTompa posted:

PGI pushed the patch back another 24 hours: https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/10/1911-october-17th-patch-time-moved-to-18th-at-2pm
So no new mechs for euros today either, loving fantastic. As a compensation they give you 2 days of premium time and a free mechbay if you have pre-ordered any Escalation pack. I'm starting to get the impression PGI have no idea what they are doing.

It was a last minute QA fail of the patch. There was some bug that was severe enough to hold the patch back rather than release and hotfix. It’s the first time a patch got delayed since the game launched.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I just want my Osiris with the googly eyes all over it.

vvvv To be fair, it's right on their website in the news feed vvvv

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 18, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Number19 posted:

It was a last minute QA fail of the patch. There was some bug that was severe enough to hold the patch back rather than release and hotfix. It’s the first time a patch got delayed since the game launched.

Thank you for the explanation. I understand that PGI does not pull/postpone a patch because they think it is fun but it is still irritating for us that have pre-ordered the new mechs to have to wait. All the debacle and backtracking on the laser nerfs just compound the issue.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I just looked up the laser nerf. Problem: lasers are over performing, particularly when used en masse for pinpoint alpha strikes. Solution: nerf cooldown. :downs:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

I just looked up the laser nerf. Problem: lasers are over performing, particularly when used en masse for pinpoint alpha strikes. Solution: nerf cooldown. :downs:

I wonder if anyone has looked at the popularity of lasers in relation to the numerical proportion of mechs in game or sold in the last couple years with nothing but energy hard points.

Or mechs with such little pod space that while they can fit the AC they can't afford ammo.

Just a thought :toot:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The medium laser is always a mainstay in every version of everything battletech related, because it's one slot, one ton and doesn't use ammo. Upping the cooldown time probably won't do anything to how popular it is.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib
They just need to apply the same balance they did to SPLs. Lower the damage significantly, and slightly lower the cooldown and heat. That will ensure that no one but the most paste-eating of pugs will ever use those weapons again. Balance achieved!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

The medium laser is always a mainstay in every version of everything battletech related, because it's one slot, one ton and doesn't use ammo. Upping the cooldown time probably won't do anything to how popular it is.

It's this. There's simply no getting around the fact that medium lasers are the best all-around use for your heat cap. They've nerfed the damage, the heat, the cooldown, the everything at one time or another and it's still top tier because one ton and one slot is a great bargain on any weapon that's even remotely decent.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I'm afraid that once PGI has gone through all the lasers and nerfed them to oblivion they will start looking at real weapon systems like LBXs and SRMs and deem the ultra-powerful alphas (compared to the now nerfed lasers) too powerful and nerf them too. Then we're back to lasers being too powerful and the cycle begins again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's funny, reading Paul's post about the scaling back of the laser nerfs there's this sentence:

"For example, comparing 3 ER Medium lasers against a single Large Pulse Laser shows a significant imbalance when compared ton-for-ton when looking at weapons of relative range and damage profiles."

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't he nerf the gently caress out of the LPL a while ago because he decided that, relative to the medium and small pulse laser it was too good? Is this how you do balance? You compare a weapon against other similar ones and then adjust it, then compare another weapon against the one you nerfed, declare it's too powerful and nerf it. Ultimately we'll end up in a place where every weapon has it's damage set equal to it's tonnage and then all will be balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't he nerf the gently caress out of the LPL a while ago because he decided that, relative to the medium and small pulse laser it was too good? Is this how you do balance? You compare a weapon against other similar ones and then adjust it, then compare another weapon against the one you nerfed, declare it's too powerful and nerf it. Ultimately we'll end up in a place where every weapon has it's damage set equal to it's tonnage and then all will be balanced.

That's... yes that's exactly what he did. I think he made them hotter, or made the burntime longer or something, but yeah LPLs went from "always take this" to "Well, still always take this but it's kind of not that great any more."

Balance is a pendulum, constantly swinging around and hitting Paul in the head when he jumps up to try and catch it.

• Locked thread