Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

The early days of the EVO LTE was even worse with that stupid separate partition garbage they had until 4.3 rolled out. 10G/6G and the 6G was where the OS and apps installed to default. The amount of app to sd shuffling you had to do to keep it working smoothish at the time was stupid.

Now the phone is actually useable in a pinch as a backup phone. Now that LTE is everywhere it even feels kinda zippy for how old it is.
I still use my HTC EVO 4G LTE several times a week as a media player for workouts. With a slimmed down ROM, Smart Launcher 3 and some Xposed modules, it's a joy. In fact, earlier this year I used it as my daily driver for a few weeks while I RMA'd my bootlooping LG G4. I genuinely hesitated to switch back when the replacement G4 arrived.

It's a near perfect size for me, too, which is mostly why I'm going for the Pixel 2 instead of the 2 XL. Can't wait to have something smaller than this G4 again (and finally gtf off Sprint towers.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Went to the Verizon store to go check out the new pixels.

The regular pixel feels better in hand actually; the finish is less slick and unfinished feeling, and the edges are flatter which makes it feel more secure to hold (well, to be at least).

The XL is fine. That's about it. Too big for me, and to be honest it actually feels a bit MORE antiquated than the regular 2; the bezels still don't compare to the S8 or other similar designs, which makes it feel like an early version of those designs, rather than the regular pixel which has such stupid big bezels that it feels like a conscious choice.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Went to the Verizon store to go check out the new pixels.

The regular pixel feels better in hand actually; the finish is less slick and unfinished feeling, and the edges are flatter which makes it feel more secure to hold (well, to be at least).

The XL is fine. That's about it. Too big for me, and to be honest it actually feels a bit MORE antiquated than the regular 2; the bezels still don't compare to the S8 or other similar designs, which makes it feel like an early version of those designs, rather than the regular pixel which has such stupid big bezels that it feels like a conscious choice.

I did the same and while I do like the normal pixel alot, the XL's screen is very pretty. Some previews have stated that it almost looks like it's printed on and that is a very apt description.

I'm probably not one to speak about the bezels since I'm coming from a Nexus 5, but honestly the bezels on the XL seem fine, and if you are coming from the 6x or the Pixel 1 XL, you'll be happy. You may not have the least bezels ever but they certainly seem pretty small to me.

Solvency fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 13, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Don Lapre posted:

The pixel promo only works on a new tmobile line. That can be a line from scratch or a ported number. But its got to be a new tmobile line.

So how do I do this? The guy made it sound like he could port the number now then do the promo when the phone ships

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Bob NewSCART posted:

So i'm trying to decide between the iphone 7 which i've currently got signed on for but can still return at 50 bucks upfront with a 90-95/month charge for 3g data/unlimited text etc(i'm from canada)

but there's another carrier, freedom mobile, and they're offering the samsung s8 or the LG G6 with 0 upfront for 75/month with like 6 gigs of data. i've never used android before and i couldn't really care less about a lot of the super customization stuff, but i'm sure i will end up loving around with it and liking it

how do people like the LG? is it utter trash? i like the design of the handset more than any of the androids i think, and i would hands down go for the s8 but i'm really worried about breaking the screen.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as far as cases go with the S8 or is it just the type of thing where you have to deal with it and just be very careful not to drop your phone? I always try my best anyways but sometimes poo poo just happens and i don't wanna be a grand out of pocket if it does.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google dropped the price of their c audio adapter from $20 to $9 to match Apple's pricing.

You know you done hosed up when you have to lower the price to keep pace with Apple.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there a way to scan my phone's flash for bad blocks?

I have a Nexus 4, which I've been using since I bought it in 2013 as it's correctly shaped and sized. Recently, I'd been having some odd issues, with Keep and (occasionally) Gmail crashing when I opened them. Yesterday, the phone started giving me an error about "couldn't connect to the camera" when I opened the camera app, then got stuck in a bootloop.

I flashed another ROM on it (went from Chroma OS to Nitrogen OS, so marshmallow to nougat), and it's working alright now. However, when I try to use Gboard or any other keyboard instead of the AOSP keyboard, it works for half a second and then closes.

I have a feeling some part of my phone's data partition is located in a flash block that's gone bad. Is there any way I can work around this while I wait for the Moto X4 to come out?

edit: gonna try installing Gboard into the system partition with ADB :shepface:

edit: it didn't work :shepicide:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 13, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as far as cases go with the S8 or is it just the type of thing where you have to deal with it and just be very careful not to drop your phone? I always try my best anyways but sometimes poo poo just happens and i don't wanna be a grand out of pocket if it does.

If insurance is a option I'd go that route, but that's just me since I don't use cases. As far as cases go the only phone with more accessory support than the Galaxy S8 is the iPhone so there should be plenty of options depending on what kind of balance between size and protection you're looking for.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Diztronic is usually good and I've had good experiences with Tudia for my S8+ and Note 8. I'd love to go caseless but the glass backs on these things are too slippery for my taste.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Both Spigen and Caseology S8/S8+/Note8 cases are good and cool and cheap.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google confirms that OG Pixel is grandfathered in to original quality uploads to Photos for life. http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/13/google-confirms-photo-uploads-original-pixels-grandfathered-life/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Solvency posted:

I did the same and while I do like the normal pixel alot, the XL's screen is very pretty. Some previews have stated that it almost looks like it's printed on and that is a very apt description.
Erm, I looked at the Pixels today and the XL's screen looked...recessed in the body or something? Sunken-in is what someone on Reddit said...and it fits that description. I don't know if that makes sense, but it most certainly didn't look printed on to me. An iPhone 8 panel, that's printed on.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Thermopyle posted:

Google confirms that OG Pixel is grandfathered in to original quality uploads to Photos for life. http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/13/google-confirms-photo-uploads-original-pixels-grandfathered-life/

Wasn't that always the case?

azurite fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bob NewSCART posted:

So i'm trying to decide between the iphone 7 which i've currently got signed on for but can still return at 50 bucks upfront with a 90-95/month charge for 3g data/unlimited text etc(i'm from canada)

but there's another carrier, freedom mobile, and they're offering the samsung s8 or the LG G6 with 0 upfront for 75/month with like 6 gigs of data. i've never used android before and i couldn't really care less about a lot of the super customization stuff, but i'm sure i will end up loving around with it and liking it

how do people like the LG? is it utter trash? i like the design of the handset more than any of the androids i think, and i would hands down go for the s8 but i'm really worried about breaking the screen.

The G6 is pretty good, the wide angle camera comes in handy all the time, as it can get shots even a standard 14-55mm lens can't. You can also sideload the Pixel hdr+ camera app for the standard lens.
It's also CAD $250 (or more) cheaper than anywhere in Canada if you buy an unlocked G6 from the States, like I did. And that's after currency conversion and importation fees/shipping.

Speaking from 2.8 years of experience, Freedom Mobile (formerly Wind) is straight poo poo though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 14, 2017

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Both Spigen and Caseology S8/S8+/Note8 cases are good and cool and cheap.

Can confirm on Spigen, I always end up getting a Spigen case and have one for my Note8 and it is fantastic. I got the "Tough Armor" series which is pretty trim considering, has a little kickstand I use a few times a week, AND it works with Wireless Charging.

Speaking of, I just got my freebie/promo for my Note8, the Wireless Charging station + 128GB SD card, and holy gently caress, I've never had wireless charging before and this is the loving future. I will never plug this phone in again. I can't believe I've gone this long in the smartphone world withOUT it. Not even sure what I'm going to do with the SD card, I have a 64GB in there already but it's already got 10GB on it ( cached music, pictures/video ), is there an SD Card transfer type of program or is it as simple as copy to desktop, paste back on top of new SD card and done? It's just cached stuff so it's no big deal if I lose it locally, but would save me the data if I can leave it all on the card.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

azurite posted:

Not according to the pixel two announcement originally

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's exactly how the tray on the G5+ works.

Look at videos, it seems somewhat close, but that tray is still super long for whatever reason. The tray on the U11 is shorter and still holds both cards.

Though I believe like others have stated, that the reason Google doesn't have MicroSD in their phones is because there is no way to guarantee the Pixel performance if people throw in a crappy (or even not a crappy) MicroSD and start moving apps to it.

utonium posted:

I still use my HTC EVO 4G LTE several times a week as a media player for workouts. With a slimmed down ROM, Smart Launcher 3 and some Xposed modules, it's a joy. In fact, earlier this year I used it as my daily driver for a few weeks while I RMA'd my bootlooping LG G4. I genuinely hesitated to switch back when the replacement G4 arrived.

It's a near perfect size for me, too, which is mostly why I'm going for the Pixel 2 instead of the 2 XL. Can't wait to have something smaller than this G4 again (and finally gtf off Sprint towers.)

It really is a good size and design, and the kickstand is still awesome. I even have a replacement battery I was going to throw in when it wasn't holding much of a charge as a daily driver and still might sometime. (Hell I actually have another EVO LTE new in box lying around here somewhere.)

Sprint has upgraded everything near me so I am not leaving until SERO gets pulled from my phone by force. And the EVO LTE was one of the few phones that not only had LTE early, but also has dual 3G radios so you could use data and talk at the same time. Was pretty neato back when.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

azurite posted:

they made it unclear during the Pixel 2 event where they said in an unclear way that it was only getting it until 2020.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there any idea about if and when the new assistant stuff and Google Lens will hit the original Pixels?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

CFox posted:

Get the XL. Everyone thinks that their first big phone is just going to be too much but you get used to it in a day and after that you can't go back to small phones anymore.

Ehh, maybe if I actually got a bigger one and really used it, this'll happen. But I don't want to get used to that big of a phone. tbh, I want to have a smartphone that can fit in pockets comfortably and not feel like a fraction of an inch away from a tablet.

Or just maybe current me hates future me and doesn't want him to have nice, convenient things.

After holding both in hand, while the XL clearly has a larger, more modern, and more appealing display, I'll still probably get the smaller 2. It just doesn't seem like the larger screen and bigger battery are worth the $200 price increase when the rest of the specs are the same.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If HTC had made the 2 XL I'd have jumped at it in a heartbeat. gently caress rolling $900 dice with LG though. I don't care how much of an arm's length they're set back from control of the design. They're involved with the manufacture which means they almost certainly have input for the sourcing which means they're going to put a box of dogshit in there instead of a loving battery.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

My Nexus 5X just got the Oreo update and it says I have the October security patch. After Oreo installed, I can't use the radio control buttons on the car to skip tracks or hold down to fast forward thru music anymore. I tried unpairing and reconnecting to the stereo but it didn't work. It seems to play music okay I just can't control it with the car anymore and have to use the phone. I'm using the Play Music app. Any suggestions?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Look at videos, it seems somewhat close, but that tray is still super long for whatever reason. The tray on the U11 is shorter and still holds both cards.
The tray on the g5+ is long because there is a dual sim version. Two sims on the front, microsd card at the back. I misremembered as it seems all the contacts are at the same side. But using front and back of the tray does allow the cards to overlap a bit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there a way to scan my phone's flash for bad blocks?

I have a Nexus 4, which I've been using since I bought it in 2013 as it's correctly shaped and sized. Recently, I'd been having some odd issues, with Keep and (occasionally) Gmail crashing when I opened them. Yesterday, the phone started giving me an error about "couldn't connect to the camera" when I opened the camera app, then got stuck in a bootloop.

I flashed another ROM on it (went from Chroma OS to Nitrogen OS, so marshmallow to nougat), and it's working alright now. However, when I try to use Gboard or any other keyboard instead of the AOSP keyboard, it works for half a second and then closes.

I have a feeling some part of my phone's data partition is located in a flash block that's gone bad. Is there any way I can work around this while I wait for the Moto X4 to come out?

edit: gonna try installing Gboard into the system partition with ADB :shepface:

edit: it didn't work :shepicide:

Yeah, it's definitely the end of the road for that device.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FAUXTON posted:

If HTC had made the 2 XL I'd have jumped at it in a heartbeat. gently caress rolling $900 dice with LG though. I don't care how much of an arm's length they're set back from control of the design. They're involved with the manufacture which means they almost certainly have input for the sourcing which means they're going to put a box of dogshit in there instead of a loving battery.

I long for the good old days of user replaceable batteries. It's what kept me on my galaxy s5 for so long.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vice President posted:

My Nexus 5X just got the Oreo update and it says I have the October security patch. After Oreo installed, I can't use the radio control buttons on the car to skip tracks or hold down to fast forward thru music anymore. I tried unpairing and reconnecting to the stereo but it didn't work. It seems to play music okay I just can't control it with the car anymore and have to use the phone. I'm using the Play Music app. Any suggestions?

This happened to me. I had to restart in sade mode and use the Bluetooth controls, then restart normally. It may not have been necessary to do anything while in safe mode.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the end of the road for that device.

Four years of service is great. My Nexus 7 2013 is starting to die (battery life). I ordered a battery replacement on aliexpress but I think that nexus devices are leaving us slowly :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hooah posted:

This happened to me. I had to restart in sade mode and use the Bluetooth controls, then restart normally.

Well that makes sense, Sade mode makes the phone have smoother operation

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Don Lapre posted:

The pixel promo only works on a new tmobile line. That can be a line from scratch or a ported number. But its got to be a new tmobile line.

Why must they gently caress over their existing customers with stupid promos. I wonder if I upgraded my line if it would qualify.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sparticus posted:

Why must they gently caress over their existing customers with stupid promos. I wonder if I upgraded my line if it would qualify.

The entire point is to get new lines open or new customers. They're not loving over anyone, you can open a new line and get the exact same deal.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants to see the new Pixels in the UK, there are demo devices in EE stores now.

My local store (Westfield Stratford City) even had a little Google branded corner with a Google-badged employee offering to tell me about the phones, though when we said we'd already pre-ordered two he went back to drinking his can of Coke and browsing Facebook on his phone.

The XL is lovely though I wasn't able to pick it up as they were both stuck on little podium things. Panda doesn't look that great I'd say so I'm glad I ordered black. The regular is nice in blue but it just looks a bit 2016 all over in terms of design. The screens are visibly different when seen side-by-side but both looked great. The regular was a little warmer on whites.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tunga posted:

If anyone wants to see the new Pixels in the UK, there are demo devices in EE stores now.

My local store (Westfield Stratford City) even had a little Google branded corner with a Google-badged employee offering to tell me about the phones, though when we said we'd already pre-ordered two he went back to drinking his can of Coke and browsing Facebook on his phone.

The XL is lovely though I wasn't able to pick it up as they were both stuck on little podium things. Panda doesn't look that great I'd say so I'm glad I ordered black. The regular is nice in blue but it just looks a bit 2016 all over in terms of design. The screens are visibly different when seen side-by-side but both looked great. The regular was a little warmer on whites.

Huh, when I saw panda I was blown away by its awesomeness.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Sir Lemming posted:

:golfclap:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Lemming posted:

Haha, not sure how my keyboard autocorrected whatever I typed to "sade" rather than "safe".

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Nice

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/13/google-confirms-photo-uploads-original-pixels-grandfathered-life/

Can't complain I guess.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, I just went and fondled both at verizon and compared to my Droid Turbo. Was shocked to see the screen on the non-XL is actually smaller than my Turbo (which I don't consider a big phone) mainly because of those giant bezels. The size of the phone is also small enough that reaching the fingerprint reader with my index finger was a little awkward, but I also have pretty big hands. The XL is not significantly bigger than my turbo overall, but the screen absolutely dwarfs the non-XL and my turbo. The back of the XL felt slightly more textured as well compared to the regular.

The regular definitely has a more "squared off" screen edge which I definitely preferred compared to the roll edge on the XL.

Tunga posted:

The screens are visibly different when seen side-by-side but both looked great. The regular was a little warmer on whites.

The XL seemed to have a more natural color overall, the regular definitely tended towards the warm on light colors (when viewing the exact same image - otherwise it wasn't super obvious). Both screens looked really nice overall.

Definitely didn't make me anxious to get rid of my Turbo, although it was real pokey in comparison to the smoothness of either Pixel. Overall I think I would go with the XL if I went for a Pixel 2, since I really didn't like the idea of going down in screen size compared to what I have. If the XL had less rounded edges, it would make it a no brainer for me. Since it would appear that Verizon doesn't do 2-year contract subsidized phones anymore (I'm on an ancient family plan), it at least made my decision to buy from google a little easier if I do go for a Pixel 2.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 14, 2017

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Anybody who has access to a pixel 2 can you tell me if conference bridges work as clickable links inside the location field of a calendar invite?

For reference, this is what I consider a conference bridge to look like: 1-800-555-5555,,1,123456#

This apparently works fine on some samsung and all iphones, but it didn't work on my Nexus 4 or 5.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I posted this just up the page. YOU'VE REALLY MESSED UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ILikeVoltron posted:

Anybody who has access to a pixel 2 can you tell me if conference bridges work as clickable links inside the location field of a calendar invite?

For reference, this is what I consider a conference bridge to look like: 1-800-555-5555,,1,123456#

This apparently works fine on some samsung and all iphones, but it didn't work on my Nexus 4 or 5.

Works fine on my pixel XL 1