Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

redneck nazgul posted:

Give Formicids the ability to wield GSCs and no shield.

You jest, but Formicids used to be able to do this during testing. It was cut, as it impacted the specialness of ogres and trolls, and their shield apt was buffed to drive their gimmick home. This might be found ironic given the later Ogre M&F changes, but DCSS's history is littered with inconsistent design logic, nature of the crowd-sourced beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

XL1: Club.
XL7: Giant club.
XL14: Giant spiked club.

It's just crazy enough to work.

Dungeon Crawl: Gun Game

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Giant Spiked Gun

Ogres are good as they are. Giant clubs are the 'best weapon in the game' but maybe an eveningstar and shield is more viable, maybe a morningstar even lol. If you spend the exp on good spells if you have book luck or if not, go hard into clubs, isn't the added diversity more situationally viable? Then there are games where you wait for okawaru so you can rush for the big club but then don't find him and pass up early Ash or Dithmenos or Yred and die to something bullshit because you're pissed you didn't get the run you wanted?

To me, this game is about figuring out how resources interact and making the best use of your encounters and floor loot luck. I hated ogres because it was just big club, wait forever to get armor (even tho ice elem starts with a great armour spell and a summon to help you)

I play ogres frequently now, and also am really enjoying gnolls. I have won like 4 gnolls out of 12 now lol. Once you're past lair you can cast most spells that can win you the game (3 runers at least I don't like playing post game)

anyway it's cool to agree to disagree just dont gently caress up gnolls by nerfing them! Gargoyles still in the game...

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Serephina posted:

You jest, but Formicids used to be able to do this during testing. It was cut, as it impacted the specialness of ogres and trolls, and their shield apt was buffed to drive their gimmick home. This might be found ironic given the later Ogre M&F changes, but DCSS's history is littered with inconsistent design logic, nature of the crowd-sourced beast.

Give em the club again, agreed. Give them better apts than ogres too ;p

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

triple post but Buff demigod's xp gain rate. Make them the fun species they can be and no I won't learn how to 'code my own version of the game' bc I want someone who knows how to do it for me :]

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I am Otis posted:

triple post but Buff demigod's xp gain rate. Make them the fun species they can be and no I won't learn how to 'code my own version of the game' bc I want someone who knows how to do it for me :]

Number changes on a species are actually super easy to do without any coding knowledge. Here's a step-by-step since I'm phone posting (if you actually want this):
1) Download a copy of Crawl's code
2) Go to crawl-ref/source/species-data.h (this contains almost all the species numbers except for the aptitudes, which are in aptitudes.h)
3) Change the -2 in this spot of the file to whatever positive number you want (this is the XP modifier number; there is a legend at the top of the file to describe what all the spots mean, commas represent a new row). For reference, Humans/Kobolds/Halflings/Formicids have the highest at +1:
code:
 114 { SP_DEMIGOD, {
 115     "Dg",
 116     "Demigod", "Divine", nullptr,
 117     SPF_NONE,
 118     -2, 1, 2, 4,
 119     MONS_DEMIGOD,
 120     HT_LAND, US_ALIVE, SIZE_MEDIUM,
 121     11, 12, 11, // 34
 122     set<stat_type>(), 28, // No natural stat gain (double chosen instead)
 123     { {MUT_HIGH_MAGIC, 1, 1} },
 124     {},
 125     {},
 126     { JOB_TRANSMUTER, JOB_CONJURER, JOB_FIRE_ELEMENTALIST, JOB_ICE_ELEMENTALIST,
 127       JOB_AIR_ELEMENTALIST, JOB_EARTH_ELEMENTALIST },
 128     { SK_MACES_FLAILS, SK_AXES, SK_POLEARMS, SK_LONG_BLADES, SK_STAVES,
 129       SK_BOWS, SK_CROSSBOWS, SK_SLINGS },
 130 } },
4) Follow the install instructions to compile.
5) You're done!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dude that's cool of you and easier than I would have guessed. Thanks for that and again for gnoll. I think the species is in a good spot, personally.

Are you cooking up any new ones? Maybe one that is akin to Jiyva but instead of stat shuffling you get God power shuffling? Like combine Xom and Jiyva somehow. where you have Oka's hero boost but then it's replaced with a book gift from Sif Muna and then for a while you get Mak's healing on kills, but wait there's more, now you have Fedhas giving you oklobs. You never know what you're gonna get [forrest gump ref for those of us who are 'in the know'] I know it would probably be annoying but idk just shooting from the hip on this one lol.

Thanks again for the actual advice

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I am Otis posted:

Dude that's cool of you and easier than I would have guessed. Thanks for that and again for gnoll. I think the species is in a good spot, personally.

Are you cooking up any new ones? Maybe one that is akin to Jiyva but instead of stat shuffling you get God power shuffling? Like combine Xom and Jiyva somehow. where you have Oka's hero boost but then it's replaced with a book gift from Sif Muna and then for a while you get Mak's healing on kills, but wait there's more, now you have Fedhas giving you oklobs. You never know what you're gonna get [forrest gump ref for those of us who are 'in the know'] I know it would probably be annoying but idk just shooting from the hip on this one lol.

Thanks again for the actual advice

Theoretically, I've been working on putting together an Extended reform. I need to get all the brainstormed points put together coherently before I present it to the dev team and get feedback. If I get the go ahead, I'll start working on developing that next.

In reality, I've been pushing it off and playing Dark Souls randomizer instead :v:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

dude... That would be so cool. I might be an outlier but early game thru lair/orc and floor 15 are my favorite parts of the game. Then zot and the escape. I am so sick of the rune branchs.

What about adding other themes other than spider/snake/shoals/swamp? What about elemental themes like Ice Cave or Volcano style rune branches as alternatives to the classics?? Or wizard lab theme rune. Or some new poo poo based off of the races like a Goblin Warren or Giant Den or something? (or elf rune)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Serious idea: Wizlab turning into a rune branch is actually a really interesting idea, since wizlabs feel stupid rare for how many of them there are and how interesting most of them are.. The first 2-3 floors could be full of casters you don't see much of in the dungeon & various wizlab-exclusive monsters(with some of the weirder ones tied into vaults, like all the stuff from Cigotuvi's lav). The rune vault could be any of the existing wizlabs, with the rune shoved into wherever the main loot pile is.

Joke idea: Flatten out rune branch levels so you could theoretically do, say, Tartarus as your first rune without getting instagibbed. But in exchange, the other branches get stronger monsters each time you enter a new rune branch(maybe excluding the very first branch, to keep the difficulty curve flat-ish like it is with lair branches now). Scale it to be the same difficulty as it is now, but with more choices about where to go at any given point in the game. This would also encourage the devs to make extended not-boring since people would be doing extended branches more than once a century. Don't think too hard about how the scaling would work with the pan runes.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

That's a fun idea, too.

I've played this game a lot and have seen maybe 15 - 20 wiz labs. There's a lot of wizard-themed poo poo that could work I think

Wiz Lab is one of the names I call my bathroom, as well

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've wanted a wizlab-themed branch for a long time now. don't even care if there's a rune or not.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Maybe a 4th floor of Elf and have wiz lab jammed in there if another rune isn't acceptable

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I am Otis posted:

Maybe a 4th floor of Elf and have wiz lab jammed in there if another rune isn't acceptable

bring back 5 level elf

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Floodkiller posted:

Theoretically, I've been working on putting together an Extended reform. I need to get all the brainstormed points put together coherently before I present it to the dev team and get feedback. If I get the go ahead, I'll start working on developing that next.

In reality, I've been pushing it off and playing Dark Souls randomizer instead :v:

Me reading this post: oh poo poo, could it finally be time for extended reform? That sounds really interesting and I think I have some ide.....there's a dark souls randomizer?
*leaves thread*

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I've never played dark souls but I have heard it is a Rougelike.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get why there isn't a guaranteed wizlab spawn somewhere in the dungeon.

I am Otis posted:

I've never played dark souls but I have heard it is a Rougelike.

Its not much like a roguelike. Its very punishing but you have infinite lives so there's no failure scenario which is key to true roguelikes. The only similer mechanic is how dying puts you at risk of losing all your currently held souls, but those can be easily replaced. If you want a difficult but rewarding gameplay experience then the Souls games are perfect but you shouldn't expect roguelike elements from them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 11, 2017

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fun gnoll choices - I'm currently a GnWz of Veh, been using a robe to use double-enhanced refrigeration and bolt spells, along with other useful things like mana viper, snakestorm, Death's Door, and finally (XL25+) getting firestorm. But Elf tested my faith by offering DoubleBlood (BLOODLUST + Bloodbane) which sounds like it might be fun ... and now some deathvault in Depths had Maxwell's in it as well.

Though I've probably used Maxwell's and Bloodlust at least as often as I've had a Firestorm character, so I'm not sure that adding Bloodbane really makes it worth it. Wonder what my next trappy artefact will be ... Gong?

the +15 Maxwell's patent armour {-Cast -Tele rElec MR+ rCorr}
The cursed necklace of Bloodlust {*Rage +Rage MR++ Int-3 Slay+6 *Curse}.
the +8 demon blade "Bloodbane" {slice, *Rage +Rage Stlth-}

edit: I guess I have to give up archmagi/ozo armour now, for the +6 faerie dragon scales (worn) {rF+ Regen+ rCorr Str+4 Clar}
e2: dead to hubris, pulled a bunch of stuff up from v5 and tabbed with a war axe of pain and not using ddoor.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 11, 2017

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why there isn't a guaranteed wizlab spawn somewhere in the dungeon.

Its not much like a roguelike. Its very punishing but you have infinite lives so there's no failure scenario which is key to true roguelikes. The only similer mechanic is how dying puts you at risk of losing all your currently held souls, but those can be easily replaced. If you want a difficult but rewarding gameplay experience then the Souls games are perfect but you shouldn't expect roguelike elements from them.

I was trying to rile people up ;p I will maybe play it one day but I don't have as much time as I want to game these days. I know what a real roguelike is. Rogue Legacy and super mario world for the win

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I am Otis posted:

Wiz Lab is one of the names I call my bathroom, as well

FR: Bathroom themed branch. Can have poobolds, dooktopi, pee draconians, toilet paper mummies, etc. Make it like shoals but dirtier and grosser, and it drains completely during the cycle.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sewers are already in the game.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Sewers are already in the game.

lol

rename sewer to Shittoir

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Make Pan=>Abyss portals random again. They were accidentally guaranteed to appear on every Pan level since 2014.

(I noticed, but I didn't say anything because I liked leaving Pan whenever I wanted instead of having to find an actual exit portal :smith:)

Edit: I pasted the url wrong, fixed the link.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 12, 2017

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Gnoll is super fun because the "i can use all kinds of stuff" mindset leads me to try out a lot of spells I wouldn't have otherwise

for example, yara's violent unraveling is good!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

Make Pan=>Abyss portals random again. They were accidentally guaranteed to appear on every Pan level since 2014.

(I noticed, but I didn't say anything because I liked leaving Pan whenever I wanted instead of having to find an actual exit portal :smith:)

Shh!

Sometimes I like to do a level of Hell or Pan just to do it. Keep doing the lord's work, friend

It is appreciated

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

rchandra posted:

Fun gnoll choices - I'm currently a GnWz of Veh, been using a robe to use double-enhanced refrigeration and bolt spells, along with other useful things like mana viper, snakestorm, Death's Door, and finally (XL25+) getting firestorm. But Elf tested my faith by offering DoubleBlood (BLOODLUST + Bloodbane) which sounds like it might be fun ... and now some deathvault in Depths had Maxwell's in it as well.

Though I've probably used Maxwell's and Bloodlust at least as often as I've had a Firestorm character, so I'm not sure that adding Bloodbane really makes it worth it. Wonder what my next trappy artefact will be ... Gong?

the +15 Maxwell's patent armour {-Cast -Tele rElec MR+ rCorr}
The cursed necklace of Bloodlust {*Rage +Rage MR++ Int-3 Slay+6 *Curse}.
the +8 demon blade "Bloodbane" {slice, *Rage +Rage Stlth-}

edit: I guess I have to give up archmagi/ozo armour now, for the +6 faerie dragon scales (worn) {rF+ Regen+ rCorr Str+4 Clar}
e2: dead to hubris, pulled a bunch of stuff up from v5 and tabbed with a war axe of pain and not using ddoor.

oh god i ran into this ghost my life is pain :gonk:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

someone awful. posted:

Gnoll is super fun because the "i can use all kinds of stuff" mindset leads me to try out a lot of spells I wouldn't have otherwise

for example, yara's violent unraveling is good!

Is it? How many strong enemies self-buff, and how much damage does Yara's do?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I am Otis posted:

Shh!

Sometimes I like to do a level of Hell or Pan just to do it. Keep doing the lord's work, friend

It is appreciated

It was already fixed (I was trying to link to the commit and screwed up the url), unfortunately. Here's the link again.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

"Nobody noticed". Everybody who ever did extended noticed. It's really obvious to anyone who does pan a couple times. I assumed the guaranteed abyss exits were intentional and I'm sure others did as well.

Everybodies favourite part of Pan is wandering around pointless levels looking for portals and waiting for something relevant to happen though so I'm glad they changed it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

someone awful. posted:

oh god i ran into this ghost my life is pain :gonk:

Haha what did it get for spells and such? Looks like you neither killed it nor died, so far!

I must be super oblivious, I didn't notice there was an Abyss portal on literally every Pan level, just that they were common - and I'd often take one instead of looking for the regular portals, since with the abyssal rune you get out fast enough.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

LogicNinja posted:

Is it? How many strong enemies self-buff, and how much damage does Yara's do?

A lot of nasty things self-buff, ancient liches being a major example. And aside from removing the enemy buffs, Yara's applies a decent debuff to them, too. The damage isn't fantastic, but is noticeable.

It also is nice for certain characters against really annoying enemies with repel or deflect missiles like spriggan air mages or deep elf archers, since you can strip their defenses, then blast them with iron shot, or whatever. Arcane marksmen type characters love the spell, since deflect missiles can be a huge pain.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yara's is one of those spells that is extremely niche but can be very powerful in the right situation.

Good example is deep troll packs. Deep troll shamans casting haste and might on the pack can be a huge pain but Yara's lets you strip the enchantments while dealing AOE damage. Any enemy that can buff with might is a good target for yara because that poo poo is scary.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

rchandra posted:

Haha what did it get for spells and such? Looks like you neither killed it nor died, so far!

I must be super oblivious, I didn't notice there was an Abyss portal on literally every Pan level, just that they were common - and I'd often take one instead of looking for the regular portals, since with the abyssal rune you get out fast enough.

It had firestorm and got me to like 6hp. :cry:

I ran the hell away, and much later died in elf to incautiousness.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does Yara work on berserk?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Don't shoot the messenger!

quote:

Adjust Gnoll apts: spell schools to +6, Invocations to +9.

This helps somewhat with early-game gnoll casters being sort of silly, and
also later on it was a little too easy to get high-level spells usable.

Having a high Invocations apt helps to open up more god choices and also
ensures that a gnoll without a manual will end up with a cool title.

Edit: Spellcasting is still a +8

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Can't have ice things, after all!

(It was only easy to get high-level spells up and running if you had Vehumet and a robe and cranked INT, in which case, um, maybe you should get high-level spells?)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, we know with them being extremely positively received by players, a nerf was bound to happen before they went live. At least it was a small-ish nerf. :v:

The core rule of development of any piece of software is "never give them what they want", otherwise they'll start asking you for things and expecting them to be done.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
This is far from the last nerf.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The question is, do they ever make it all the way to -8 aptitudes across the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
As a gnoll (so equal weaponskill), when do I switch from a morningstar to a bardiche? I assume that at low skill the bardiche won't actually be good.

• Locked thread