Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Yes dumok, the prequels have some down right beautiful estabilsihng shots:

Totally mang. Plus all the other shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Windows and couches all dang day.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The important thing to remember about Anakin is that it's a character that George Lucas wrote to be "cool." Thing is, all of the most evocative stuff in Star Wars can usually be traced back to helping hands (Harrison Ford, the VFX artists, costumers, etc.), which were able to massage vague or iffy script work into something stronger. By the time the prequels rolled around, Lucas had absolute control over every aspect of production, not being limited by studio presence, or by having his work filtered through different directors. So he wanted a plucky lil' James Dean, and by god that's what he was going to get. But that esoteric "coolness" was always pushed with broad strokes (drives fast! Rebellious pout! Surfs a space dinosaur!), instead of presented through a character lens. So, ultimately instead of James Dean, Lucas ended up with a James Dean impersonator. With all that entails.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Fart City posted:

The important thing to remember about Anakin is that it's a character that George Lucas wrote to be "cool."

What makes you say that?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Lord Hydronium posted:

I generally like Christensen's Anakin, but yeah, my main issue with the AOTC love story is that Padme's character is really hard to read, from a mix of Portman's acting and the general flow of the love story. Everything up to the scene on the freighter is pretty straightforward: we start with Anakin very interested in Padme and Padme not noticing/being put off by it, then she slowly warms up to him. But then we get the scene with the queen, and that whole progression takes a big step back as he gets big for his britches and she puts him down, and then immediately after they're making out, and it's full on forbidden romance from there. It's not like it's impossible to reconcile, but there's something missing from the script or Portman's performance to show why Padme is reacting in these ways, even if it's just that she's kinda flighty (which I don't think is consistent with the rest of her character). Anakin's side of the story is pretty straightforward, in comparison; he's interested in her from the beginning and sometimes acts like a dick to impress her because he's a teenager.

I think your post is a good articulation of the issue I have with Padme; she feels a lot more like an obstacle for Anakin to overcome in his own arc than someone with her own feelings and motivations. Her best scene is probably the one where they talk politics in the field, because you can actually see Padme's own personality coming through strongly, where it conflicts with Anakin's, and the roots of the oncoming tragedy as she convinces herself that Anakin is just kidding.

I know that a lot of people probably think that the last thing AOTC needs is more love story, but the deleted scenes with Padme's family - which would have gone right in that gap that gives me the most pause - might have really helped, both in giving Padme more of her own character outside of Anakin and in giving them time to grow closer before they go full requited love in the lake country.

I don't think Padme is intentionally trying to hurt Anakin in the scene with the queen. She's starting to get friendly with Anakin but she still wants to be in charge of her own security, and she doesn't realize that he's angry about the fact that he's still a Padawan. After that, they're alone, and even though she thinks it wouldn't be a good idea to get involved with a guy who is forbidden to have attachments when she herself has so much responsibility, she's still really attracted to Anakin and so she is more intimate with him than is probably appropriate, but in a way that still gives herself some plausible deniability. I think all of that is in line with Padme's character, she's an accomplished politician, but never had a normal childhood and is idealistic and romantic to a fault. She's less open about her feelings than Anakin is for most of the movie, but I think you can still track what she's thinking if you take the movie in it's entirety. I agree that Natalie Portman generally seems disinterested in the role, though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Lord Krangdar posted:

What makes you say that?

I always felt that it was pretty obvious. And let me clarify: I'm specifically talking about AOTC Anakin here. The character is definitely formed from the mold of the aforementioned James Dean in terms of appearance and dialogue, with a bit of The Wild Ones thrown in for good measure. Drives fast cars, bucks the system, is presented as a romanticized bad boy. There's clear intentions to set him up as a bit of a 50's era heartthrob. Problem is that the character serves a larger narrative purpose that is far darker. I think that's why the character has so much tonal whiplash in the movie: he needs to be both this classic Hollywood leading man, but also a budding maniac. That balancing act doesn't really work because it sets the character to two very different extreme, and whether it's question of not having the time to explore it or the subtlety, Lucas just can't fill the gap.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I don't know when you last watched Rebel Without a Cause, but Jim Stark was absolutely a "socially retarded teen."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I see a sort of a send-up of that kind of "cool" character. He's got that bad boy thing, but he's also clearly not an aspirational figure, so he's not romanticized.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Bongo Bill posted:

I see a sort of a send-up of that kind of "cool" character. He's got that bad boy thing, but he's also clearly not an aspirational figure, so he's not romanticized.

See, now that's an interesting read. I'm not sure I buy it as being what was intended, though. Everything in Star Wars is so arch, I kind of feel like that's a bit too graceful of a needle to thread.

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know when you last watched Rebel Without a Cause, but Jim Stark was absolutely a "socially retarded teen."

Then I would argue that Lucas' intended homage succeeded to some extent.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 14, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

These porgs are everywhere, they're even getting Hot Toys figures (with bonus Jedi training Rey figure).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

This conversation comes up all the time but it never actually makes sense. Hayden's acting is consistent even when it shouldn't be. There are times, based off other character's responses, that he is supposed to come off as charismatic, likable or othewise something besides creepy. As written and directed Anakin is someone who wears a mask much of the time and it slips more and more which is why it becomes ironic when the mask he adopts is the one that literally gets strapped to his face so he doesn't die after the one of the two people he trusts and cares for dies and the other betrays him. Instead he's that way constantly and it plays against the idea of the character.

There is a a*good* idea there. Anakin Skywalker, even before he became Darth Vader, was the guy wearing the cool dramatic awesome mask to hide what a messed-up and kind of pathetic person he was inside. Luke is able to redeem him because he is able to touch the part of him that he hid from everyone besides Padme because Luke is the literal proof of their love. Darth Vader and Anakin are the same, the big impressive figure hiding the sad person inside. Hayden is good at the latter but he never really successfully pulls off the charismatic guy and defaulting to "Well he's a broken emotional teenager!!" ignores that yeah, he is. He's also supposed to be able to mask that and seem genuinely charismatic and those moments of awkwardness and detachment are not supposed to be his norm.

There's nothing wrong with the idea that behind the Vader mask is a person and that he's awkward, pathetic and uncomfortable because that was the reveal in RotJ, where he spends most of the film looking like a whipped dog. Almost all of the prequel stuff is extremely strong in concept but execution-wise it suffers.

I can get behind this to a certain extent, because the Anakin of the CGI Clone Wars cartoon is much closer to the sweet spot of someone wearing that mask of being cool, being actually heroic and charismatic sometimes, but with more than a little dark undercurrent and immaturity. He's a more traditional and expected Star Wars type of character and a lot easier to enjoy watching.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I see that as being the case because we're seeing Anakin in his element. He's a man of action, and in the Clone Wars he gets to do what he does best. Besides, in later seasons he has more and more moments that foreshadow Revenge of the Sith.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fart City posted:

See, now that's an interesting read. I'm not sure I buy it as being what was intended, though. Everything in Star Wars is so arch, I kind of feel like that's a bit too graceful of a needle to thread.

Then I would argue that Lucas' intended homage succeeded to some extent.

...so you agree Anakin works as a send up to the James Dean style troubled teen, but that's bad because that's not "what was intended?"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The Porg thing is kinda funny because if Lucasfilm is really trying to recreate the OT you'd think they'd wait until the third film before forcing someone cute onto us.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Beeez posted:

I agree that Natalie Portman generally seems disinterested in the role, though.

Portman gets pretty into it once she's riding a space tiger and hunting down Count Dooku on his escape bike. Padme's character, much like Anakin, is someone who's trapped between lofty ideals that she really wants to embody and promote (this is how democracy dies, etc) but can't get away from the fact that the defining event of her child-queen-hood was when she participated in the all-action all-fighting storming of her own palace. She hates 'war' in the abstract, but keeps a spring-loaded gun in the armrest of her throne.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Windows and couches all dang day.

Absolutely brilliant, world-class, criticism here.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

...so you agree Anakin works as a send up to the James Dean style troubled teen, but that's bad because that's not "what was intended?"

Oh quit being a butt. My initial point is that many of the failures of Anakin extend from Lucas being unable to stick the landing of his sincere homage while also juggling the larger, darker narrative responsibilities of the character. Whether that works metatextually in favor because of those failures is a different discussion.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fart City posted:

Oh quit being a butt. My initial point is that many of the failures of Anakin extend from Lucas being unable to stick the landing of his sincere homage while also juggling the larger, darker narrative responsibilities of the character. Whether that works metatextually in favor because of those failures is a different discussion.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

BIG
HORNY
BULL

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The MSJ posted:

These porgs are everywhere, they're even getting Hot Toys figures (with bonus Jedi training Rey figure).

I cannot wait for the TLJ supercut that cuts out everything not related to the Porgs and calls it the "Special Edition" of TLJ

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I like how AOTC is basically a matryoshka doll of deceit and dualism. The movie goes to fairly extreme lengths to disorient the viewer. Like, why are Padme and Zam Wesell in matching outfits? But then it turns out that Zam has this ogre-like interior. And that she's actually just working for Jango Fett. And Jango is just working for Count Dooku, who is actually Darth Tyranus, who is working for Darth Sidious, who is actually Chancellor Palpatine. What?

edit: is Cnut the Great gone? I miss his extremely interesting effort posts :(

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jewmanji posted:

edit: is Cnut the Great gone? I miss his extremely interesting effort posts :(

I believe he went to prison for clumsily lighting his neighbors house on fire with some fireworks.

RIP Cnut. Some people here miss you :(

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Padme and Zam Wesell in matching outfits?

What was this?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

I believe he went to prison for clumsily lighting his neighbors house on fire with some fireworks.

I'm loling. Forgot about the arson thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

is this vaporwave

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

UmOk posted:

What was this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsqqLeVc-b0&t=179s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94r3-zOhoc

Her costume is really just a match with Captain Typho, but the resemblance is undeniable.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

Wait...did this actually happen?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

jivjov posted:

Wait...did this actually happen?

yeah lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825923

unless it's a super lame joke

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
He's been posting in GBS as of a few days ago. I think he's fine.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

That video reminds me of something else. The prequel posters were amazing.

Actually most of the movies had kick-rear end posters. Even if they didn't exactly represent the story.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

He's been posting in GBS as of a few days ago. I think he's fine.

I wouldn't call posting in GBS "fine"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yaws posted:

what the absolute gently caress

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

The Porg thing is kinda funny because if Lucasfilm is really trying to recreate the OT you'd think they'd wait until the third film before forcing someone cute onto us.

Oscar Isaac was in The Force Awakens.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I always thought it was kind of dumb and poorly executed how Dooku front flips over the railing right before he fights Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS. But then I realized it has the effect of a bat apparating into a vampire/Dracula. Cool entrance.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That was a sweet fuckin' move when Anakin slices of Dookus hands.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To hold off until the new film comes out...I'm finally going to listen to the original Radio Drama...I've heard many good things!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yaws posted:

That was a sweet fuckin' move when Anakin slices of Dookus hands.

That look on Dooku's face when Palpatine said "Kill him" is brilliant.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

That's when he knew. That's when it hit him. For all his pomp and elitism Palpatine had no intention of ruling the galaxy with him. He was being used all along. It was always about Anakin. It was his last thought before Anakin lopped his head off.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It was exactly the sort of pulp genre fiction twist that Christopher Lee was made for. It even had the music sting. If it had had a crash zoom, it would have been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

[record scratch]

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got into this mess.