Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't think it's possible to emerge from being a company grade officer without losing a good deal of respect for E8s and E9s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hey

gently caress the army forever

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wisdom

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

I don't think it's possible to emerge from being a company grade officer the military without losing a good deal of respect for E8s and E9s.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

tucking the sides of your patrol cap down to make your hat look cool (i refuse to use the term ranger roll) is highly illegal and we would get yelled at so i made a point to poof the middle up as much as possible so it looked really, really dumb

i'm a big fan of the beret though especially the maroon beret with OCP, im a dum dum

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Ranger rolled with cat eyes and name tape on the back.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
About the only time I've made a uniform correction outside of basic poo poo like "you switched your name tapes" or "your boots are totally untied" was a brand new LT with the most ranger rolled of all ranger rolled hats and jump boots without a badge and his top zipped down to like his nipples. As soon as I walked away, he unzipped his top and re-rolled his hat, and that level of dumbassery mixed with him not even being out of BOLC was a bit infuriating. I had also just seen him try to both hit on a random news reporter and also try to drop a brand new recruit on trash detail for the infraction of not saluting him quite fast enough.

That's the kind of officer that makes you consider creating a "gently caress this guy forever" book.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Syrian Lannister posted:

Ranger rolled with cat eyes and name tape on the back.

:hai:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
Bragg man...

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can't really scoff at someone with cateyes on their PC if they actually use it for its intended purpose, especially at Bragg where it isn't even standard armyhat

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
People do field training these days with PCs? We're always in at least plate carrier and ACH for tactical stuff

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

People do field training these days with PCs? We're always in at least plate carrier and ACH for tactical stuff

My story was in the most garrison of garrison places: a loving garrison parade where this BOLC LT wanted to ranger roll and unzip his top (that part's weird, don't know where he picked that up).

Even the POG units do the field in full gear unless you're in some kind of tent/shelter. Oh, or if you're SOF and are too cool for gear. I knew one of them who died in an announced rocket strike. I assume he looked really cool ignoring the sirens and standing in the open.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

We would sometimes. It's actually more of a tell that someone has gone to ranger school, thinking about it you can't really use NODs with a pc anyway without a skullcrusher and we would just wear boonies in that case so ymmv, mostly dudes too lazy/hooah to cut them off after ranger.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

psydude posted:

I don't think it's possible to emerge from being a company grade officer without losing a good deal of respect for E8s and E9s.

My CSM was giving me poo poo because I'm wearing tan boots with OCPs while wearing a tan shirt which is what the SMA said we could do

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

My CSM was giving me poo poo because I'm wearing tan boots with OCPs while wearing a tan shirt which is what the SMA said we could do

No but you see, sir, I've talked with the Battalion Commander and we determined that in the interest of professionalism

e: At one point in Afghanistan our BDE mandated that everyone wear the boonie hat because they got tired of BN aide stations having to treat Joes for sunburn on the scalp. You could hear autistic screeching erupt from every SNCO, as if a thousand cargo pockets were suddenly and simultaneously unbuttoned.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 13, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
On about day 2 of my last deployment, we switched to boonies. Hell yeah, less sunburn. No poo poo, when we got back, the CSM called us the baby-faced unit because we hadn't wrinkled to poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i wore my boonie my entire deployment, apparently midway through 05 they decided it had to be banned

nobody told us because we were a zillion miles away from everyone else

nobody said poo poo

420 boonies every day

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whenever I hear a SSG or SFC say that NCOs are the voice of common sense in the Army I always point out 1SGs and CSMs. Then they say something about never wanting to be a CSM.

Weirdest thing is getting on guys about slightly faded uniforms. What are they supposed to do, keep buying new uniforms?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

every fob i went to in iraq required full battle rattle unless in pt uniform

except balaad for 2 weeks but w/e air force

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

About the only time I've made a uniform correction outside of basic poo poo like "you switched your name tapes" or "your boots are totally untied" was a brand new LT with the most ranger rolled of all ranger rolled hats and jump boots without a badge and his top zipped down to like his nipples. As soon as I walked away, he unzipped his top and re-rolled his hat, and that level of dumbassery mixed with him not even being out of BOLC was a bit infuriating. I had also just seen him try to both hit on a random news reporter and also try to drop a brand new recruit on trash detail for the infraction of not saluting him quite fast enough.

That's the kind of officer that makes you consider creating a "gently caress this guy forever" book.

I fixed some O-4s upside-down unit patch the other day. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Weirdest thing is getting on guys about slightly faded uniforms. What are they supposed to do, keep buying new uniforms?

Just tell them you're a cook.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I fixed some O-4s upside-down unit patch the other day. :colbert:

watching new guys put the 4ID patch on wrong was always funny

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

mlmp08 posted:

Even the POG units do the field in full gear unless you're in some kind of tent/shelter. Oh, or if you're SOF and are too cool for gear. I knew one of them who died in an announced rocket strike. I assume he looked really cool ignoring the sirens and standing in the open.
Some years ago, my unit was routinely hit on Shank by IDF, but I was attached to other folks on its other side and saw this going on. Some weeks into it, I was joining them too because nothing really ever landed over there. I definitely had a lower sense of self-preservation leaving Afghanistan than I did coming into it.

edit:

Vasudus posted:

watching new guys put the 4ID patch on wrong was always funny
Unrelated, but I've been out of Fort Carson a week and happier for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bell_ posted:

Some years ago, my unit was routinely hit on Shank by IDF, but I was attached to other folks on its other side and saw this going on. Some weeks into it, I was joining them too because nothing really ever landed over there. I definitely had a lower sense of self-preservation leaving Afghanistan than I did coming into it.

edit:

Unrelated, but I've been out of Fort Carson a week and happier for it.

We took a direct hit at Ghazni, which killed one of my contractors and wounded 3 of my guys. CRAM never alerted us to it, so it was just bad luck. You can bet after that we took every rocket alarm serious as poo poo.

Had some interesting ordnance hit the base there, including some WP rockets and recoilless rounds (which were definitely the most accurate). It had been around since the Soviet occupation and the Taliban were operating within 300m of the FOB so it was far more effective and accurate than at, say, BAF.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

We took a direct hit at Ghazni, which killed one of my contractors and wounded 3 of my guys. CRAM never alerted us to it, so it was just bad luck. You can bet after that we took every rocket alarm serious as poo poo.

Had some interesting ordnance hit the base there, including some WP rockets and recoilless rounds (which were definitely the most accurate). It had been around since the Soviet occupation and the Taliban were operating within 300m of the FOB so it was far more effective and accurate than at, say, BAF.

The smart insurgents in southern iraq were using individual katusha rockets (meant to be fired in a barrage from a truck) mounted on 2x4's and elevated with the cheap car jacks from a toyota.

Amazingly they were hitting us weekly from 5+ kilos out.

CRAM got MAYBE 1 out of every 10.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

When I was a PV2 in IET I had a douche BOLC baby try and make me get out of his way while I was browsing the magazine aisle at the PX like he was some sort of 18th century aristocrat; I'm sure he's a really great CPT/MAJ by this point in his career.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I liked telling LTs that their rank was upside down. Sooo many of them looked.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DoktorLoken posted:

When I was a PV2 in IET I had a douche BOLC baby try and make me get out of his way while I was browsing the magazine aisle at the PX like he was some sort of 18th century aristocrat; I'm sure he's a really great CPT/MAJ by this point in his career.

I got to see a warrant destroy his career by being so pissy about a trainee being in his way that he decided to shove him to the ground. Simple Assault is one thing, but trainee abuse is another.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Ask a brand new e1 where his rank is. That was always funny because they are dumb and never know you are just loving with them.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Did this to our COMSEC Warrant on multiple occasions.

Usually after I prank called the vault after he just got done securing it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Ask a brand new e1 where his rank is. That was always funny because they are dumb and never know you are just loving with them.

And they sold that blank rear end Velcro ACU patch in the PX so they knew they could mayyybe be missing it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I took a PT test in Graf in loving December. poo poo was being salted and plowed as we were running the course. Never allowed to wear our gaters or whatever beyond basic bullshit. I felt bad for the people who had wool gloves when we had to do chin up drills. Snow was loving knee deep too.

I had to change my boots twice because of stupid loving tread bans. Like dude, I'm a loving POG, what the gently caress is the big deal about a shark tooth pattern or whatever.

So glad I'm out. gently caress needlessly suffering for the sake of hooah.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

This. Everyone gives Balad poo poo but those fuckers hit my area a lot. So every time the god voice went off I went to cover. The one that convinced me was the one I heard it loving whistle on my way outside he DFAC. I froze because it broke my mentality of "it'll be alright it's probably over..." ssssssst BLAM! Finally got inside and everyone was locked down for 30 minutes or whatever. CRAM never went off but the god voice did.

It never got that close again, but close enough that we had to do 100% accountability checks after the real close ones. One actually landed in some CHUs and the people were thankfully either on mission or R and R.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Never got hit on Lagman, had one close ish call on KAF, still wasn't able to get motivated past the fatigue of regularly being under rocket attack.

Getting shot at as a civilian contractor was a new ball game because I had nothing to shoot back with, and the "FOB" I was at was very small, so the bullets were much closer.

I still remember that not quite real feeling of being pretty much defenseless and hearing those snaps overhead matching the rate of fire, so we just ambled to the office sleep deprived. In our shorts and armor.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
C-RAM has a rather small footprint to cover very critical areas, so on a lot of bases, the main mission is just warning. I don’t think was well articulated when it was rolled out.

Also without getting into opsec bullshit it’s obviously easier to shoot down a low velocity lob shot than a drat near direct fire high-velocity weapon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also gently caress, it’s going to suck if we ever face real arty instead of just irregular IDF attacks.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I remember loving with new guys saying the flag was on the wrong side.

It worked a lot.

lol

Icon Of Sin posted:

I used to routinely crop-dust our ops sgm for how useless he was. He only had the position because he got a DUI and was friends with the brigade CSM, so he rode out his retirement there and generally had the anti-Midas touch (everything turned to poo poo when he was involved).

In every single unit, that was the position of the former csm who had done some off the wall poo poo that allows them to remain in where any other enlisted soldier is gone or get a DUI, always a shitbag CSM in my experience...the OPS SGM.

Some were kind of fun and cool though but a few clearly shouldn't have been in the Army and that upset me a lot about the Army. E7s and 8s had room to make mistakes and bounce back. Almost all had a story that I met in every unit about getting docked for poo poo that a kid gets rolled out for now. Thats one thing I hate, no real room to grow. Taking a soldier for a first offense and punishing the poo poo out of him makes way more sense than sending him home. The shitbag CSM in every BDE, loving the E7s and poo poo...it was in every command. It was almost like you had the same roles in totally different parts of the world, but Army. And that had to be the best job they never did poo poo, and werent getting hosed for life...just "retiring".

If that makes sense.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 14, 2017

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Detachment at first yellow ribbon ceremony, we got pulled aside to be told our unit is deploying again.
Get rekt.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My first YR is tomorrow...:whoptc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cyks posted:

Detachment at first yellow ribbon ceremony, we got pulled aside to be told our unit is deploying again.
Get rekt.

:lol: :owned: :lol: