Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if you're arguing revenues you're missing the point. take everything above a few million and light it on fire if you must. dynastic wealth is a cancer with no moral or economic justification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, broadly, the best taxes are on things which would otherwise be excessively durable. transporting a days labor far into the future should come at a substantial cost

not that it is necessarily relevant in all of present day, but the preservation of fortunes is how nobility comes about

if they can preserve their fortune either your property and sales taxes are too low, in which case raise them, or they're creating enough economic activity to overcome your taxes which likely means growth that's good for everyone.

going after cash hordes encourages hiding cash hordes. cant hide property.

also in the case of somewhere like CA where property taxes are hosed by law, you have people with no dynasties or cash hordes who are sitting on incredibly valuable property and preventing any new property from being built. taxing them properly would do so much more immediate good than an inheritance tax that would barely affect them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
it is by necessity true that there is enough money available, on a yearly basis, to keep the vast majority of the population of the country alive. after all, they are alive and the amount of people who die from straight up not being able to afford things is rather small in comparison to the 340 million people living here.

we also know that since there's people in this country going and making literally thousands times the money those who died make, hell people making millions times that, there is therefore money available on an ongoing basis to clear up the modest amount of people who can't afford to live now.

so shouting about how it'd be impossible to provide for everyone is ludicrous, if it were really not possible to provide for everyone we'd have millions upon millions literally starving in the streets each year.

that's why any argument that's all "durr but you can't afford it!!!" is bullshit

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

if they can preserve their fortune either your property and sales taxes are too low, in which case raise them, or they're creating enough economic activity to overcome your taxes which likely means growth that's good for everyone.

also in the case of somewhere like CA where property taxes are hosed by law, you have people with no dynasties or cash hordes who are sitting on incredibly valuable property and preventing any new property from being built. taxing them properly would do so much more immediate good than an inheritance tax that would barely effect them.

:thunk:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

quote:

Waymo plans to limit customers to trips in areas where Waymo has detailed maps.

It's simple, all they have to do is make sure that the maps have extremely accurate up-to-date information about the location of every person in the mapped area.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I hate shaggar with the burning passion of a thousand fiery suns but this isn't really a substantive argument

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

also in the case of somewhere like CA where property taxes are hosed by law, you have people with no dynasties or cash hordes who are sitting on incredibly valuable property and preventing any new property from being built. taxing them properly would do so much more immediate good than an inheritance tax that would barely affect them.

but grandmas everywhere will be forced to sell their incredibly valuable homes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

from a developer point of view, every time i encounter someone about to make the life mistake of touching the mongo poop i redirect them towards couch
it's just alright, as dbs go. got that master to master replication

if they can afford it / are building something that Matters they should use marklogic.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

this is broadly true, certainly anyone who keeps creating economic activity commensurate to the values of the estate (while under reasonable incidental tax pressures while doing so) should get to continue, but i am not sure property taxes are quite where they need to be here, and to be honest i think even in this optimistic scenario some inheritance tax is due, because the transfer of wealth is society banking on keeping such competent management up, and should get *some* compensation for the trust (inheritance is after all rather artificial and state-bound)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yospos: the idea that people should have to work for a living is toxic and outdated
also yospos: guillotine everyone who inherited a bunch of money

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
bernie wants a straightup wealth tax to pay for healthcare

i'm down. let's see them actually get taxed into the poor house instead of just whining about the possibility

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

yospos: the idea that people should have to work for a living is toxic and outdated

yospos: people should be guaranteed food shelter and medical care regardless of work status.
also yospos: people shouldn't be able to inherit billions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
a lot of you folks are gonna suddenly change your mind about a 100% inheritance tax when your parents croak and leave you a house worth a couple hundred grand

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

a lot of you folks are gonna suddenly change your mind about a 100% inheritance tax when your parents croak and leave you a house worth a couple hundred grand

i think a lot of them assume that even if they're only children a lot of that inheritance is going to be consumed by end-of-life care. hell, i hope i don't get my mom's house until much later in life anyway.

that said doesn't estate tax only kick in after the first million or so as it stands? i'm entirely fine with that exemption, just jack the rates up on the non-exempt portions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

in the usa there is a 5 million dollar exemption.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is broadly true, certainly anyone who keeps creating economic activity commensurate to the values of the estate (while under reasonable incidental tax pressures while doing so) should get to continue, but i am not sure property taxes are quite where they need to be here, and to be honest i think even in this optimistic scenario some inheritance tax is due, because the transfer of wealth is society banking on keeping such competent management up, and should get *some* compensation for the trust (inheritance is after all rather artificial and state-bound)

yeah I'm suggesting a change to property taxes to increase them on a progressive scale as a compensation for that trust. if you keep it up, great, you're fine. if you don't, we're gonna take it away over time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

i won't be inheriting anything even close to limit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

lol not even close to estate tax levels.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
end of life care, reverse mortgages, life settlements

and even then that's assuming that the estate is worth enough to get hit by the tax in the first place after settling other debts. hell i'd be fine w/ 80%

besides, most boomers aren't gonna kick off for at least another decade or two anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless you're suggesting changing it so all inheritance of all types is 100% taxed in which case lol yeah you'd get murdered if you tried to get that passed

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

While you're all arguing about ubi, I just stayed until 7pm on a Friday trying g to figure out why systemd decided to randomly forkbomb ~2% of our fleet.

I still don't know why, but at least we figure out how to talk it out of its desire for hostwide murder-suicide. This vintage systemd moment has been brought to you by "whiskey", which I'm going to go consume like $50 worth of now.

Systemd. :discourse:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Here I am glad I won't be responsible for my parent's debts when they die.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

oh wow a house i have to spend a bunch of money and time cleaning out if i want to sell it, in maybe 30-40 years when they actually die, and not really located somewhere that'll not be all that useful to instead live in at that point unless some projects that are pretty pie-in-the-sky for the region at this point are actually completed in like 2050. and at the end it's just a pretty generic, not that big, house from the 90s which while well insulated and quite sturdy, doesn't do all that much.

i'll gladly give up that "opportunity" in exchange for ubi and uhc

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that said doesn't estate tax only kick in after the first million or so as it stands? i'm entirely fine with that exemption, just jack the rates up on the non-exempt portions.

less than 5000 people who died last year left estates large enough to be touched by the estate tax at all, even fewer of them left estates large enough to trigger state-level estate taxes/inheritance transfer taxes, which almost universally discount the value of your estate by any federal estate tax that was paid on it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Jorbs posted:

Here I am glad I won't be responsible for my parent's debts when they die.

debt collectors will certainly try

also your parents could fraudulently take out a joint loan in your name

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

debt collectors will certainly try

also your parents could fraudulently take out a joint loan in your name
My dad passed recently and they already tried on both fronts in the past lol.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fishmech posted:

less than 5000 people who died last year left estates large enough to be touched by the estate tax at all, even fewer of them left estates large enough to trigger state-level estate taxes/inheritance transfer taxes, which almost universally discount the value of your estate by any federal estate tax that was paid on it.

remember when we didn't even have an estate tax for awhile there and that uberwealthy dude died and his heritors got out of payin billions

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

unless you're suggesting changing it so all inheritance of all types is 100% taxed in which case lol yeah you'd get murdered if you tried to get that passed

well that seems to be what "100% inheritance tax" implies, because basically zero percent of people are affected by it already, and those who are usually find a way to apply it to far less wealth than they actually have

if you're saying "take all the billionaires' money" well yes we all agree with that one but that isn't really going to make a huge dent in ubi or uhc. you need to tax every "i've only got two million in the bank so i'm not really rich" HENRY and every corporation to start making some progress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Steve Jorbs posted:

My dad passed recently and they already tried on both fronts in the past lol.

oh yeah they're complete jackals

an ex of mine just took to screaming her head off on the phone w/ them that her mother was deeeeeaaaaaad whenever they'd try

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

well that seems to be what "100% inheritance tax" implies, because basically zero percent of people are affected by it already, and those who are usually find a way to apply it to far less wealth than they actually have

if you're saying "take all the billionaires' money" well yes we all agree with that one but that isn't really going to make a huge dent in ubi or uhc. you need to tax every "i've only got two million in the bank so i'm not really rich" HENRY and every corporation to start making some progress
let's start with making the capital gains tax higher than the income tax

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bhodi posted:

let's start with making the capital gains tax higher than the income tax

nah it should straight up be treated as income, which would bump most of the people using that loophole up to the highest brackets immediately

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fishmech posted:

nah it should straight up be treated as income, which would bump most of the people using that loophole up to the highest brackets immediately

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/bobvulfov/status/880248711498141696

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

Tesla fired hundreds of workers this week, including engineers, managers and factory workers, even as the company struggles to expand its manufacturing and product line.

The dismissals come at a crucial point for the company, which is pushing to increase vehicle production five-fold and reach a broader market with its new Model 3 sedan. The electric vehicle maker missed targets for producing the lower-cost sedan, manufacturing only 260 last quarter despite a wait list of more than 450,000 customers.

The company said this week’s dismissals were the result of a company-wide annual review, and insisted they were not layoffs. Some workers received promotions and bonuses, and the company expects to hire for the “vast majority” of new vacancies, a spokesman said.

“As with any company, especially one of over 33,000 employees, performance reviews also occasionally result in employee departures,” a spokesman said. “Tesla is continuing to grow and hire new employees around the world.”

In multiple interviews, former and current employees told this news organization little or no warning preceded the dismissals. The workers interviewed include trained engineers working on vehicle design and production, a supervisor and factory employees.

Workers estimated between 400 and 700 employees have been fired. Tesla refused to say how many employees were let go, although the company expects employee turnover to be similar to last year’s attrition.

The spokesman said most of the dismissals were administrative and sales positions, and outside of manufacturing. Tesla employs about 10,000 workers at its Fremont factory.

Workers spoke on the condition of anonymity because they feared reprisals from the company. Employees said the firings have lowered morale through many departments. Several said Model X, Model S and former SolarCity operations seemed to be targeted in the factory.
nothing to see here, just getting rid of the dead wood

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

why is it that stack ranking never applies to the boss? makes u think

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

nothing to see here, just getting rid of the dead wood

holy poo poo, half the floor is missing!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think it's time we killed a rich person

goon project :iamafag:

quote:

This issue, one of first impression in our circuit, arises out of a trend in the late 1990s and early 2000s towards the “demutualization” of mutual life insurance companies. As many mutual insurance companies transformed into stock companies, the surplus resulting from the sale of shares in the company was divided among current policy holders, often in the form of stock.

sounds like their life insurance policy basically doubled as a stock ipo in a bull market, not exactly reproducible even for the megarich

Sagebrush posted:

if you're saying "take all the billionaires' money" well yes we all agree with that one but that isn't really going to make a huge dent in ubi or uhc.

the inheritance tax isn't about paying for stuff. like i said, light it on fire if you must. it's about limiting the accumulation of massive wealth to a single generation at maximum. a self-made billionaire at least has some memory of what life is like for regular people, and often has earned some claim to a good life through hard work (in addition to other factors, notably luck). the 2nd, 3rd, etc generations are absolutely clueless yet wield significant power and influence. there's no reason to allow that. we fought a war and rejected hereditary rule for largely similar reasons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

these aren't actually as contradictory as you seem to think

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

sounds like their life insurance policy basically doubled as a stock ipo in a bull market, not exactly reproducible even for the megarich

i didnt mention the case because i wanted to talk about demutualization of life insurance policies, rather to illustrate why and who was buying 88 million dollar life insurance policies in the first place.

but, lol at someone worth 1.5 billion dollars aldo getting a 2 million dollar windfall on their life insurance. the rich get richer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

also get ready for tons of companies to ignore this law completely
that's good
but also why wouldnt you just lie and say you made like 150k last job or something. old employers arent gunna release that information since often its confidential. all they will usually say is "yes they were employed here from x to y"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xaris posted:

that's good
but also why wouldnt you just lie and say you made like 150k last job or something. old employers arent gunna release that information since often its confidential. all they will usually say is "yes they were employed here from x to y"

you can lie but you will usually get caught

that is 90% of the "background check" -- verifying your old salary for ... reasons?

• Locked thread