Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

kw0134 posted:

It overall can be easier to tell apart but you still run into differentiating between kindness (the opposite of envy) and charity (opposing gluttony) and it goes back to small shadings of nuanced behavior. And of course, it's sort of hard to have a lot of kindness and charity for others if you don't have the requisite patience (opposing wrath). I assume, much like Newton shoehorning indigo into the "canonical" color spectrum, seven has numerological importance to Christian writers and they had to come up with something.

They could replace Gluttony with Despair and it'd be less dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Aerdan posted:

They could replace Gluttony with Despair and it'd be less dumb.

Despair was a traditional sin, but it's actually covered under Sloth.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Sloth would fit if what they were calling Despair was what we'd call depression. But when I've seen Catholics writing about the sin of despair, they're defining despair as thinking "my sins are too much for God to ever forgive; I can never be saved". And that fits more under Pride, in a weird twisted kind of way ("I'm more horrible than any other human being that ever lived") than Sloth.

OTOH, actual Catholic doctrine is... not exactly what you're going to find in a Persona game. Heh.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stephen9001 posted:

Who knows, perhaps one of our targets will be the prime minister of Japan or something. If Japan even has a prime minister. I think Japan has a prime minister at least.

The final Palace is the Emperor's.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's not like the sins are isolated. If you're a terrible person who committed lots of crimes, chances are you also committed more than one deadly sin.

The game is labelling them with one sin, but if you think this other sin fits them better, it's because they're committing multiple sins, like they're committing multiple crimes.

Kaneshiro is a mafia boss, so... I'm sure he has a lot of sins under his belt.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah and the Sin they're labelled as is more like the Heart of their Evil, not the only form it takes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"gently caress guys we've got nothing tying in to Gluttony and we ship in five minutes"

"just make one of them fat"

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
In their defense, it's kind of hard to make Gluttony work as a sin that hurts other people the way that the others do. You have to lean on the angle of hording something that other people need to such an extent that it becomes actively harmful to society at large, and money is probably the easiest way to go. Still, you can't deny that the message is kind of muddled.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Stephen9001 posted:

Who knows, perhaps one of our targets will be the prime minister of Japan or something. If Japan even has a prime minister. I think Japan has a prime minister at least.

I'm pretty sure final target man (aka person we saw at the beginning of the game) is a high-up member of the Diet. I'd say that counts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that Kaneshiro does have gluttony fit him. His hoarding of money along with wasting it away to live a life of indulgence. While it annoys him to spend it he tossed a chunk away so a concubine could buy something she wanted. And used it as a excuse to blackmail someone.

He is more of a consumer of money that just goes to waste. Unlike the Target who represents Greed he also has no real ambition other then wallowing in his wealth and indulgence.

Kamoshida and Madarame represented their sins of Lust and Vanity just fine however.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

In their defense, it's kind of hard to make Gluttony work as a sin that hurts other people the way that the others do. You have to lean on the angle of hording something that other people need to such an extent that it becomes actively harmful to society at large, and money is probably the easiest way to go. Still, you can't deny that the message is kind of muddled.
Yeah, out of the 7 sins, Gluttony is the one that directly affects the person representing the sin rather than affecting others like Lust or Greed do. The other 6 all can be tweaked to fit the concept of affecting people outside the target representative with some effort, but Gluttony has trouble standing on its own within Persona 5's context of "the target who embodies [sin of the current arc] impacts those around them". Admittedly, Sloth also has Gluttony's issue, but it has a slightly easier path to walk down in order to make the sin work (e.g., have the target negatively affecting those close to the target by being so lazy via emotions or self-esteem) compared to Gluttony. Which is probably why the game has Greed pull a double shift and shore up the weaker points of Kaneshiro's character (the banker characterization being more of a Greed representation than a Gluttony one, for instance) due to Gluttony not being able carry it all to the finish line on its own. Sadly, that banker image is what hurts the Gluttony message, like you said; you get people like me who see Shadow Kaneshiro's portrayal and immediate think Greed, but then we get the heavy swerve to the left and suddenly he's the Gluttony target for...reasons.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

. Admittedly, Sloth also has Gluttony's issue,

I'm sure most of you will be surprised and hopefully impressed by how the game handles Sloth.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Really Pants posted:

"gently caress guys we've got nothing tying in to Gluttony and we ship in five minutes"

"just make one of them fat"

This makes the most sense of everything else that's been posted

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 61: 6/27-6/28: Makoto’s Crippling Time Crisis Addiction

Music: Regret

You stole it all from innocent people!
Fine. I’ll call off the debt...
Fine? You’re still soundin’ pretty condescendin’.
You’re right… I’m a poor, ugly… idiot… How am I supposed to live a normal life like this…? It’s all because of our society! Weak people can’t lead a happy life, no matter what they do! I’m a victim too, you know!? Yeah, none of this is my fault!
The more you talk, the more pathetic you sound.
I just wanted a place where I could belong! You get that, don’t you!?
Bullshit! All you did was surround yourself with people you could use, solely for some easy money!
And you think you’re the only one who’s gotta deal with bein’ labeled…? Me… and all these other guys… We’re all fightin’ against that!
But don’t worry. You’ll finally have a place you belong. Somewhere you can make amends, for the rest of your life.
We’re gonna do something about that distorted heart of yours… Free of charge.

Five bucks says Ryuji rehearsed that.

Now hurry up and return to the real Kaneshiro.

These Palaces could net you loads of cash! You could do whatever you wanted to people’s hearts!

Uh, I’ve got 200k on me right now.

We’re not like you!
Where do you find meaning in that naive sense of justice…? You know, there’s already someone out there taking full advantage of what Palaces have to offer...

Music: Disquiet

What…?
I’ll let you in on a little something… There’s a criminal using other people’s Palaces to accomplish whatever they drat well please. They don’t care about consequences. Psychotic breakdowns, mental shutdowns… Anything goes.
Is that… the same person Madarame’s Shadow spoke of…?
Spill it! Who’re you talkin’ about!?
*snicker* Don’t even bother. You are nothing compared to them… Better be careful… A chance encounter with them could prove fatal...

Music: Run, Run, Run!

We can think about that later! Grab the Treasure; there’s no time!
In that case, we should take that large one… ...Wait, what!?

T-Treasure…
What’s gotten into him…!?
This is sooooo coooooool! Wowwweee, being a human is greatttttt! It’s… It’s… It’s… shiny shiny golddd!

Morgana leaps onto Ann’s face for some goddamn reason.

Hrgh!? L-Leff ho off mee!

Ann then chucks Morgana like a football.

Enough, already! Let’s get it in, everyone! Hurry!

Grrr… Fine!

*screaming*

Music: Suspicion

Ouch!

You guys are so careless… *thud* Mew! Meowww….

I think I cracked my rear end...
Ann, are you all right!? Is yours cracked as well…?
Of course not!
Isn’t it supposed to be though?
Urgh, that’s not what I mean! More importantly, it’s dangerous for us to just charge out like that! Ack! Everyone’s staring at us!

Thank goodness nobody was hurt.
Uhhh, I wouldn’t say nobody...

Music: My Homie

RIP catte, I wish I could say it’s been fun, but well...

It appears to have been the cause of Morgana’s demise…
That’s not what I meant! Isn’t that Kaneshiro’s…
You mean his Treasure…!?
Hey, the light’s red!

How about at karaoke?
We’d have security cameras to worry about there.
Oh, I got the perfect place.

That’s right!
I was just in the mood for some coffee too.

So… warm...

Music: Wicked Plan

Ann is tending to Morgana.

Have you learned anything new?
It’s sealed by a rotary lock. We’ll need the combination to open it.

Morgana interrupts with a scream of pain from Ann’s treatment.

A rotary lock, hm…?

Makoto fiddles with the dials.

The latches open.

…I knew it.
How did you get that?
I simply memorized the combination. I saw him open and close it so many times, after all.
W-Well that’s… scary. But amazin’ too!
Urghhh, that burns… Hey, hurry up and open it.

*gasps*

H-How much is this!?
I believe one stack is one million yen… ...Hm?
One, two, three… Uhh, there’s thirty of them in here!?
Thirty million yen… Even after splitting it, we still each get five million…!

Um, what? The cat can’t spend money. I should get double.

Holy poo poo… It’s gonna be deluxe pork soup combo for me from here on out!
You have to think bigger than that...
Not to bring down the excited mood… but does this money look real to you?

F-For real…!?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I guess this represents… how everything he did was an act to make himself seem tough…?
Nooooooooo…!
Well hey, at least it feels like we totes busted this case, right?
What do you mean? Is busting a case good or bad…?
Both!
Snrk… *chuckle* Ahahahaha! To think the reward for the Phantom Thieves is feeling they “totes busted” the case… Ahhh… How funny!
Hold on a second. Even though the contents were nothing more than trash, the case itself is quite nice.
All right then, let’s sell it! Glad we got that sorted!
By the way Morgana, have any of your memories returned?
No, not at all…
C’mon, did that hit to your head make you forget even more?
It’s easy for you to talk. You’re not the one who lost your memories.
You have amnesia…?
Something like that. He does remember searching for Treasures though.
Hm. I hope your memories return soon then. So… what happens next?
First, we wait for Kaneshiro to have his change of heart.
It’s gonna be big this time. People’re gonna make a huge deal out of it, for sure.
Hey, you know what Kaneshiro said at the end there…? About that “criminal using the Metaverse…
Yes, I was bothered by that as well.
No point mullin’ over it now. Let’s wait and see how Kaneshiro’s change of heart goes first. We should prolly just lay low for a while.
I never thought I’d hear those words coming from you.

Music: Disquiet

How long is it going to take? This incident happened at the school you’re supposed to be presiding over… *sigh*

School?

...Fine. I hope you remember who gave you that position to begin with. Our other operative gave us a list of candidates without delay. How different from a certain someone… ...Yes, of course. Please continue your investigation.

Is he talking with Kobayakawa? Seems like something nefarious is afoot.

Music: Beneath the Mask

All we need to do now is await the results.
I wonder what’s gonna happen when he has the change of heart. Do you think he’ll turn himself in?
That seems likely.

Right? We were going up against a real criminal, after all.
Yes. We managed to steal the heart of a notable lawbreaker.
I can’t wait to see Akechi’s face when he hears the news!
Honestly, I just hope that people who see it get some courage from the news.
There’s still one thing that worries me though...
Do you mean how someone is using the Metaverse for evil?
It would be seriously unforgivable if someone was really doing that…
Eh, we can think about that later. For now, let’s just wait for Kaneshiro’s change of heart.
Very well. Nicely done, everyone!
All we need to do now is let the results come rolling in. We did great today though! Public opinion of us should skyrocket after this!

There’s been markedly more damage than a typical year, and people fear public safety has worsened. People are calling for people to be careful, but have yet to enact any effective countermeasures.
That Kaneshiro… He’s really done it now.

We already changed his heart, Morgana, keep up.

Now all we have to do is wait for them to have a change of heart. Tonight, you can take it easy.

Same with Kamoshida, and Madarame too. They hurt and exploited others just to satisfy their desires… Still, there were people around them who noticed their terrible deeds, weren’t there? I wonder why they turned a blind eye… Why doesn’t anyone help?

But they don’t have the courage? Humans are so weak. Humans… Hey, do you think I’ll really be able to become a human? When I touched the Treasure… some memories came back. I tried to force myself to forget, but… I really may not be human...

Who do you think you’re talking to? Now that I think about it, I gotta be human. I am the core of the Phantom Thieves, after all!
I feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper...

Pickpocket is a neat little skill. You probably still won’t be using melee all that much, but it’s a nice surprise for when you do.

Come on, it’s not good for you to stay up this late. Let’s go to sleep.

Music: Aria of the Soul

You’ve defeated the repulsive fiend of gluttony this time. *chuckle* Well done. I am glad to see you have devoted yourself to your rehabilitation.
You are not worthy of such kind words, Inmate… I suggest you treasure them.
Do you recall the whispers about that strange man?

Even a chicken could remember something that important! Don’t sound so cocky about it!

Just can’t win with these two, can I?

...This is about the cases of those people who shut down, is it not?
Indeed… I speak of another with powers similar to yours. If you are to complete your rehabilitation, you may encounter him eventually… *chuckle* Yet another thing for me to look forward to. I shall grant you an ability befitting of your newfound growth. Consider it a gift. It would be greatly troubling if you were to not strengthen your abilities.
I feel like my bond with Igor is growing deeper...

More experience when we fuse, all right.

It’s time, Inmate!
Return to your world.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I assume it’s OK if you’re able to make such jokes. There’s something I feel I should let you know. Kaneshiro contacted me.
Kaneshiro!?

And, um… My sister and her team have taken him into custody.

What!?
It appears they did not want him to… disappear, if you know what I mean.
His group was called a mafia, after all… I wouldn’t put silencing him past them.
Does this mean we were successful in changing his heart?
It’s hard to say for sure yet.

What the gently caress are you talking about? It’s plain as day! What possible reason could you have to doubt that it worked?

I see… What about those psychotic breakdowns that Kaneshiro mentioned…?
I’m not sure… but I assume he was talking about the incidents that have been all over the news lately. It really may be related to the other person who has been entering Palaces…
True. That said, all we can do now is wait until Kaneshiro’s change of heart becomes clear to us. Thank you.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

We seem to be fine for now, but we can’t let our guard down. I ask that you try not to stand out for a while. By the way, I usually spend my time in the student council room. If there’s ever an emergency, feel free to come find me there.

Sounds like Makoto’s available to hang.

Hey, shouldn’t you tell the others about what Mishima told you?

Nah.

Akechi-kun should deal with the mafia instead of the Phantom Thieves, but maybe he’s too busy.
What are the Phantom Thieves trying to achieve? They’re only targeting bad guys, so far.
Maybe they want to do it for fame. I guess they’d want to show up Akechi-kun after he said those things on TV.

Well, you’re not affected because of your bad rep. If you want to ask me about something, go for it.

She’s the ideal honor student. Excellent grades, exemplary conduct, trusted by teachers… She ran for class president and won on her own merit. Well, no one else wants to do her job though.

He’s still highly regarded for his passion for education, even though he’s criticized for scandals now. Ever since the incident involving Mr. Kamoshida, he’s been working to restore our school’s prestige.

I hear fraud is on the rise, and there’s even rumors of drugs and prostitution… The police can’t do much because they have too little info. Most of the time, the victims stay silent.

The calling card was sent to that criminal organization, but I haven’t thought of any furth-- ...Oh, no. I’ve said too much. For your own safety, I can’t risk exposing any more top secret info.

This big scary guy looked like he was panicking while tearing them down. It was hilarious!
Is something going to happen again…? Oh, and you guys, try not to go out too late, OK?
Whaaat? It’s fine. Plus, if that calling card is real, things will be safer around here.

So, wait a minute. Did Makoto and Ryuji have to get those things printed? How much would that cost? And how did nobody notice them either at the print shop or posting the calling cards?

I stayed up reading about it, and didn’t get much sleep. I sooo don’t wanna go to practice…
What are you doing!? It’s up to us to bring pride to Shujin Academy now that the volleyball team’s been disgraced!
You’re right. The third-years all retired, so I gotta take my role as captain seriously.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Yes, I must save Shibuya from the surge of darkness. It is all the will of the Sun God.

Wait, this dude’s the Sun God? I’m kind of losing the plot here.

So you really do control them! I thought you’d just been idling the time away.
Y-You fledgling… It is merely my plan to throw them off guard! As we speak, my apostles go forth!

I keep hearing about the calling card that the Phantom Thieves sent out. The underworld is nothing but thugs now. It’s pathetic. What happened to their code of honor?

What!? Are the Phantom Thieves at it again? ...By the way, who’s Kaneshiro?
He’s the mafia boss running Shibuya. It’s all over the internet!

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Yeah, I saw. Their logo is pretty cool. But aren’t the Phantom Thieves like, bad guys? I can’t believe they’re in Shibuya!
That’s what Akechi-kun said—that they’re dangerous. I hope someone puts a stop to them.

Do you need something on the third floor? Have you come to study in the library, perhaps?

It seems your studies have paid off. Have you been working hard?
It seems I have enough Knowledge to invite Makoto out… This may be a good opportunity to deepen my bond with her...

The requirement was Rank 3, which we actually did meet the last time we tried to talk to her, but it gives you the rejection anyway if you do it pre-Palace.

There’s something I want to ask you. If it doesn’t get in the way of your studies, that is.

Thank you. Now then, let’s find somewhere better to talk. The courtyard should do.

*nods*

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Up until now, I’ve been the quintessential honor student. I believe I’ve been handling my position as student council president with ease as well. A-And I don’t mean that in a boasting way, that’s simply how I’ve thought about it. ...But in the end, I was unable to make any kind of impact with either Suzui-san or Kaneshiro. Turns out there’s no use for a rule-abiding honor student when things get rough. Now that I’m a member of the team, I want to do everything I can to help you all. All my studying up to this point has kept me quite narrow-minded. I think… I-I will need to broaden my horizons somewhat.

My first step will be to learn more about the other students. But… I struggle with that. There seems to be a disparity between my tastes and those of my peers…

Maaku… teach me how to eat a hamburger.

Really? I hope you’re right… But I don’t even know where people like to go for fun… It would be nice to have a grasp of such concepts. Plus, the student council must be responsible for understanding the student body they serve, right? I-I don’t mean that in a surveillance way, I just want to know them as people. I may be a phantom thief, but that’s no excuse for me to start ignoring my presidential duties. Now, back to the topic at hand… Where do people usually go for fun?

I enjoy the movies myself, sometime. I think I’d prefer somewhere I’m unfamiliar with… Oh, I know! How about the arcade? I’ve never actually been to one. Do you think you could take me? I’m not sure if it will broaden my horizons per se, but simply studying won’t get me anywhere.

Thank goodness… I think I would have been totally lost in there had I gone by myself. Well, let’s get going.

Music: What’s Going On?

There are more girls here than I expected.

You play by aiming the gun at the screen, right? That actually seems somewhat realistic. …...

I-If it’s OK with you… Do you think you could teach me?
*nods*

Time to give Makoto a taste of blood.

Huh!? …… No way! …… Ahhh!
Makoto’s loud play is garnering quite a bit of attention… She seems to be too engrossed in the game to even notice though...

Of course that was just a game, but… I wonder if I could apply some of the techniques I learned here during battle.

Perhaps going somewhere I don’t normally frequent is what helped me come up with that idea. You know, it may only be a little bit… But I think I’m starting to understand how people pass time. Interesting. I would’ve never even thought about coming here before.

I… Hey, do you think you could help me out again later? I might be able to give the team more ideas if I can gain increased knowledge outside of my studies.

I need to live up to your expectations now that I’ve taken up your time. Perhaps it won’t be immediately… but I’m sure I can be of use.
I can sense a strong resolve from Makoto...

Music: Interrogation Room

You managed to overcome them because you had someone who specialized in analyzing enemies… ...Isn’t that right!?

Man, Sae’s an idiot.

Music: The Spirit

The (High) Priestess arcana represents intuition and the subconscious, as well as mystery and higher powers. It’s all about knowledge, some of it secret. When reversed it foretells hidden agendas and deception.

Makoto’s Shadow Calculus lets us see the skills and items enemies have, which is very useful.

Music: What’s Going On?

By the way, you went to the red-light district when you were chasing after Kaneshiro, right? I’d like to go there as well. No! N-Not for my own purposes…

To tell you the truth, I recently got a report that one of our students was spotted there… I’m skeptical, but… I’d like to confirm firsthand for myself. Well, it’s getting late. Let’s go home. See you...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's never really revealed what they did with the Kaneshiro-dollary-doos. Unless Iwai now has a bunch of fake money in his back room.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's never really revealed what they did with the Kaneshiro-dollary-doos. Unless Iwai now has a bunch of fake money in his back room.

Probably just burned em or threw em away; the money itself is worthless, after all, it's the case that Iwai probably took.

By the way, that's another place that the voice acting is really good- Ryuji's "Nooo" really does sound like all of the holidays have been cancelled, it's great.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arist posted:

So, wait a minute. Did Makoto and Ryuji have to get those things printed? How much would that cost? And how did nobody notice them either at the print shop or posting the calling cards?

She's the student council president, depending on how the school set up the printers and photocopiers I'd say she has authorization to use them.

Arist posted:

You managed to overcome them because you had someone who specialized in analyzing enemies… ...Isn’t that right!?

Man, Sae’s an idiot.

Yeah, I can understand Sae's confusion about some arcanas (e.g. fortune) but this one is egregious.

Little funny thing about the Priestess arcana, in some French and Italian decks, including the one P5 is using, the Hierophant and High Priestess arcanas are called the Pope and Popess. It's a fairly appropriate arcana for Makoto.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I am a big fan of Ann throwing a Morgana fastball.

Also a fan of Makoto immediately exhibiting more character in one SLink rank than Yusuke has in two scenarios of playability.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I'm gonna call it now: Morgana, before he lost his memories, was the other Metaverse user that Madarame and Kaneshiro both mentioned. This will then lead to a scene late in the game where his memories come back with all the subtlety of a truck crash, which will then go one of two ways:

A) There's a scene so heart-touching it'll make want to vomit wherein Morgana angsts about how horrible was as a human, and then the Nasty Crimekids will console him about how it's what he does now that's important, and it'll probably be where Morgana hits Confidant rank 10.

B) Old Morgana takes full control, and becomes a bullshit boss fight that everybody still loves because you finally get to vent all of your grievances about this loving cat, and then regular Morgana comes back, comes to the conclusion above, and it's still where Morgana hits rank 10.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ryuji's anguished "NOOOOOOOOOO!" upon finding out the money's fake is the single best line read in this game.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Time Crisis 2 and 3 were the only two non-fighting games I gave a poo poo about when I still had an arcade in the area. I was sympathetic to the House of the Dead games, but I only ever had the patience to beat 2.

The fact that Sae still doesn't want to believe that her own sister has been involved in this is amusing, but considering the stuff that's happened so far, I probably wouldn't want to, either.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

Probably just burned em or threw em away; the money itself is worthless, after all, it's the case that Iwai probably took.

By the way, that's another place that the voice acting is really good- Ryuji's "Nooo" really does sound like all of the holidays have been cancelled, it's great.

Oxxidation posted:

Ryuji's anguished "NOOOOOOOOOO!" upon finding out the money's fake is the single best line read in this game.

It really is. It was my reaction after finding out I will not get all that money.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sae is an idiot lol.

Wrt the Priestess arcana: the game put an amusing spin on things by making her look at a dirty magazine. That's p much it, no deeper meaning as far as I can tell.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Arist posted:

I think I cracked my rear end...
Ann, are you all right!? Is yours cracked as well…?
Of course not!
Isn’t it supposed to be though?

Makoto is quick on the uptake

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 62: 6/28-6/30: A Ton Of Salt

What’s Kosei like? Is it filled with guys like Yusuke?
I imagine there are a lot of “different” people there.
Now that you mention it, I have one very interesting classmate. She is a female shogi player, and seemingly quite the skilled one at that.
Are you talking about Hifumi Togo? I remember hearing she’s a student at Kosei. They say she’s the most beautiful shogi player around right now.
Dude, that sounds too good to be true! Gimme some more info!
I do not know much about her. She is not the kind of person to let others close to her.
It sounds like she only focuses on her shogi pursuits. After all, it’s said she is a lone genius...
However, I have heard she is commonly seen at the church over in Kanda.
For real!? We gotta go!
You’ll probably get struck down by a bolt of lightning if you’re going for that ulterior motive.
That ain’t it! This is for the Phantom Thieves!

Oh, this should be good.

I mean, shogi’s a kinda battle, right? She’s gotta know all sorts of insane strategies and stuff!
Uh...
That is quite the stretch.
Churches are supposed to be holy. Don’t do this, Ryuji.
Urgh, you guys’re gonna pay for this one day! Maaku, you go spy on her for me! Find out if she’s really as cute as they say she is.
*sigh* Let’s ignore that idiot. Anyway, a shogi expert, huh? Striking an enemy with but a moment’s inspiration, skillfully strategizing toward victory… Those might actually be good tactics to know for our work as the Phantom Thieves. They said she’s at the church in Kanda, right? We should check it out when you have the time.

I like how we completely dismiss Ryuji there and then do exactly what he wanted for the same bullshit reason he suggested.

We can go to Kanda now.

It’s the two Uji Matcha Flans we ordered! They’re pretty worthless!

Ah, yes, I’d have to say Hifumi Togo. She does a very good job of balancing offense and defense. Not to mention, she’s very pretty.
Yes, I’ve heard she’s started doing some modeling work recently.

Well, let’s head over to Kanda and see Hifumi, then.

Music: Time to Repent

In Japanese this track is called “Penalty Time,” which always makes me think there’s like a hockey rink or some poo poo before I remember what track it is.

This is the church. It’s rather tiny.

Lambs who’ve strayed from their path and lost sight of their goals in this life are welcome here. Simply put, I offer solace and advice to those with worries or who wish to reflect on their past.
Hmm, this seems like a convenient place to-- Wait, did he say “reflect on their past”?

This feature returns from P4G, though now we can do it whenever we want instead of only on specific days for each party member. We still won’t be making use of it, because it’s better to get it right the first time.

That might be quite useful to you if you had something that you wanted to remember. ...Just make sure you don’t offend him or make him angry by brushing off his advice.

Maybe she’s Hifumi Togo, the one Yusuke mentioned… Why don’t you go ask her?

My overflowing Charm seems to have reached Hifumi.

This is a Rank 3 Charm gate, which we clear.

I’m Hifumi Togo...

I’m doing some research, so… Experimenting with new tactics is best to do alone in a place like this. ...Well, I suppose that doesn’t sound terribly plausible to someone who doesn’t play… Don’t mind me; please go ahead and pray.
Hifumi Togo seems to take a very tactical approach to playing shogi. I feel like I can learn some tactics for the Phantom Thieves from her shogi expertise. I should ask her if she’ll teach me...

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

...Huh? Um, you don’t necessarily have to learn from me, you know… There are other options… such as playing online.

Maaku bows.

Well then… Um… So… you like shogi?

Like me...? You’re a bit strange… but thank you. Um… OK, just a quick game then. Twenty seconds per move… If that’s all right with you.

...Saying that will likely make her lose interest. I guess I’ll have to play her. I’ll just move the pieces randomly...
I’ll start.

Music: Wicked Plan

The dragon which governs the blue sky has fallen into my hands. How do you intend to survive this?

Um, what

Hifumi slams the piece down onto the board with a resounding CLAP.

...It’s checkmate no matter how you look at it. Please concede.

To concede is an act of admitting that you have lost, with grace. If you aspire to become a shogi player, I recommend that you take your study of the game to heart. Thank you for playing… Well then, that will be all for today… If it’s all right with you, may I request another match sometime?

I feel… a gambler’s spirit emanating from you. Which is strange, since your style of play is that of a complete novice...

Huh…!? Oh, I-I’m sorry… However, I will instruct you under one condition… You become my playing partner so that I can research new moves. Is that agreeable?

Thank you very much… Well then, it’s a deal. I’ll teach you how to play, and you’ll assist me with my new moves.
I’ve made a deal with Hifumi...

Music: Interrogation Room

Ah poo poo, twice in one day!?

And yours weren’t by the wit of an amateur. You had a professional who regularly deals with such tactics. ...You have an idea on who that is, don’t you!?

Music: The Spirit

Star is the arcana of hope and inspiration, and represents lack of faith and despair when reversed. It’s all about idealism.

Hifumi’s skills don’t have a whole lot to do with each other, mostly just being a random grab bag of Confidant skills they wanted to shove in somewhere. They’re still pretty useful, though. I didn’t end up using Koma Sabaki much because it costs a turn (and also because all my main party eventually had SP Adhesive 3s on at all times), but I can imagine it being helpful to get yourself out of a jam or just make it easier to cover all your bases in terms of elemental affinities.

...I shall see you again, if the fates allow.
I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge...

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Music: So Boring

A young woman wearing all brand clothing and an older man with gold accessories were arguing. Both were on their high horse, and even though they dressed fancily, it felt nouveau riche. Speaking of, the Japanese words for “high horse” and “nouveau riche” both originated as shogi terms. A lot of people aren’t familiar with shogi, but it’s good to know a little bit about it.

Goddammit, what is it with shogi right now?

So, Hamiru-kun. Have you seen this piece before?

This game has been localized well.

That’s right. This is the cursive form of the kanji for “gold,” which is written on the back of the pawn.

A weak piece like a pawn can become gold if you get it into the enemy’s camp, hence “nouveau riche.”

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

By the way, nouveau riche like to wear expensive clothes because of a desire to be acknowledged. Once humans fulfill the basic needs of clothing, good, and shelter, our next desire is recognition. That’s why people try to make themselves seem bigger by flaunting their power through money.
Making yourself seem bigger… Reminds me of a frilled lizard.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Already? I applied months ago.

So what are you going to do here today?

Music: Break it Down

I’ll do everything myself today, so you can just observe me and try to learn the ropes. Well, let’s begin!

Maaku gets 3200 yen.

Good work, Maaku-kun. Come back again when you have the time.

I bet doing this gift-making job has boosted your Kindness.

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

All right, we should head home.

The server went down because it was attacked from somewhere, I heard.
I hope they get caught soon. They’re really causing a lot of trouble for us!
I heard they’re some kind of scary foreign organization. Our police wouldn’t stand a chance.

The ISP has announced that the problems were caused by an external attack. The perpetrators did not issue a statement, but they are suspected to be an anonymous hacker group.
Attacking as a group… It must suck to be on the receiving end of that.

Seems like hackers are becoming a problem. Yikes.

Busy studying, eh? With these amazing study reference books, you’ll pass any exam you want!

Yeah! You better go buy… these awesome study reference books! If you’ll just sign here...

What!? You use up my time like this, and then you say you don’t want any of my products!? Why didn’t you just say so from the start!? Go away, you idiot kid, you’re wasting my time!

The ones who steal hearts? Ah, I wish they’d steal mine...
No! Akechi-kun says they’re dangerous. And he knows what he’s talking about!
You always fall for people too hard, too fast. You’re too clingy! That’s why you keep getting dumped!

Well, you see… I was already scammed once. And with all that’s happened, I’m a little cautious.
Look, lemme produce you. You’re absolutely fabulous. I’ll take care of you—you have my word.
I do really, really want to be a singer… But, can I trust you?

I’m gonna take a wild swing in the dark here and say the answer is no!

We pick up Flowerpedia from the Shinjuku bookstore while we’re out. It’ll come in handy for our job at the flower shop.

I remember you… You had a very abnormal destiny, as I recall. Please, take a seat.

For that much, it’d better not only change your fate, but also give you incredible luck. If you do end up buying one, we should go home and test it out. Well, what do you want to do?

What the hey, I’m a total dumbass and this seems like a great idea.

Thank you very much! Here you go.

It’s the smart thing to do, considering this is the only way to avoid misfortune. It’s already charged with a happiness aura, so you’ll feel the effects right away. Don’t forget to recharge it with moonlight every three days. Please stop by again and let me know how your fate changed. Goodbye...
I should head home...

Music: Break it Down

I was just about to close up shop, but I forgot to turn the stove off. I guess you start forgetting things more the older you get...

I wonder what kind of luck we’ll have this time around. It should be awesome, right? I mean, we paid a hundred thousand yen for this Holy-- Ow! What the heck!? Hey, can’t you keep this thing a little cleaner? I can’t be comfortable with all this gravel at the bottom of the… ...Wait, Maaku. I have a bad feeling about this.

Music: Tension

GOD DAMMIT

What’s gotten into you?

Huh? This tastes… salty!

Why are you tasting it!?

Hey, the Holy Stone is just salt!

I live a cursed existence

...Maaku? What’s going on?

You’re salty…? That reminds me, I was just about to head out and grab some salt for the shop. I’ll be back in a bit.

Wait, in that case… maybe the Holy Stone is supposed to help you get better at cooking!

This stupid cat

B-But if that’s not it, then what’s it for…? ...Hold on a second, the Holy Stone was supposed to change your future, not improve your cooking skills!

That fortune teller’s name was Chihaya, right? She clearly has some kind of mystical power… but this is just unacceptable. ...We need to go complain to her!

Or, and hear me out: we could slash her tires. Your idea’s great, but I like mine a lot too.

It turns out the Holy Stone I bought from Chihaya was a fake. I should go talk to her and try to figure out her true intentions...

This is what I deserve, isn’t it? For being so stupid?

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

By the way, June’s almost over. We defeated Kaneshiro, so we can rest easy for a while… I guess? So, what do you want to do today? Maybe something like a trip to Mementos?

I mean, breaks are important… But we have those requests on the message board, so don’t forget to answer them.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

We head over to the diner. Maaku gains Guts +1 and Knowledge +3 from the rain.

Today, we interview a man who was once a con artist. In our talk with him, we’ll cover the skillfull methods of con men, which are constantly evolving.
They really put a lot of thought into these scams. I wish they’d put all that effort to better use.

Yeah, I saw that! They’re so cool! They’re like Featherman, taking on the bad guys like that!
When I said that, my parents got mad at me. They said there’s no way the Phantom Thieves are real.
Parents just don’t get it. All they do is nag and nag, telling us to study all the time.

Oh boy, time for the recurring adventures of our favorite elbow-bender!

Oh, sorry. This man just decided to lie down here.

No, he’s just drunk. Doesn’t he realize that it’s still dangerous around here?

Buuuddy!
Haha, who’re you imitating now? That’s one helluva quote.
The Phantom Thieves! You gotta check ‘em out, bro!

Yes, they’re the ones with the “calling card.” I heard they had an altercation with the yakuza.

Um, it’s the “mafia,” thank you.

They seem to be very popular among young people. Though I don’t know why.
There’s no telling why these days. However, I believe they may be able to build their own business.

How? Why, with the magic of Squarespace! Build it beautiful!™

*curious meow*
Oh, I mean… Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to know who put these dope—drat it! What I mean is, the flyers have this cool mark on them. Are they for a store that’s nearby?

Foreign Barker’s quest to be polite with the help of a cat is one of my favorite subplots in this game.

The thugs in Shibuya are actin’ up since the Phantom Thieves sent out that calling card of theirs. Aw, hell, it’s not all bad. I’m havin’ a lil’ bit of fun taking out a few of ‘em… *chuckle*

We need more Mega Fertilizer for our plant, so we pick some up.

Oh? She’s with a rube client.

Hm? She’s with a client… Sounds like they’re talking about the Holy Stone. Do you wanna eavesdrop on them?

Music: Suspicion

I-I’m fine. It’s my fault anyway, Yuya said so… He says he doesn’t want to hit me, but I just make him so mad…

Oh! gently caress this!

I suggest you break up with him. Things are only going to get worse at this rate.
B-But I’m the only person that cares about him! If I leave, how will he survive…? Please, is there any other way?
...Let us ask the tarot. O divine power, shed light upon her fate...

Yes, I’ve seen everything. Hm… I can sense a dark presence within your boyfriend. His heart seems to be possessed by a demon. This demon may hide itself away at times, but when it strikes, it will bring with it great misery.
Wh-What kind of misery…?
You will be hospitalized for severe injuries suffered in a domestic abuse incident, and he will be arrested.
What? Hospitalized!? A-Arrested!? I knew I shouldn’t have let Yuya throw my Holy Stone away! He said I shouldn’t be wasting my money on some dumb rock… that I should be giving it to him instead. This is my punishment for letting him do that, right? Please, let me buy another one from you!
Wh-What…? You want another?
My next stone will need to be even bigger. I’m a little low on cash at the moment… but you said I can pay in up to thirty-six installments, right?
Um, truthfully, I feel breaking up with him would be the best--
I can’t abandon Yuya!

There’s no way that could be true… right?

Man, this cat is dumb.

Right. It would make our jobs way easier if you could really change someone’s heart with a Holy Stone. It’s clear that Chihaya has some fortune telling skills, but that stone isn’t going to do anything… ...Hey, Maaku! Why don’t we change that “Yuya” guy’s heart ourselves? I mean, he’s hurting this woman here, right? This is the perfect chance for the Phantom Thieves to save her!

H-Hey! Were you eavesdropping on us? That’s an invasion of privacy, you know!

The demon within your boyfriend’s heart… cannot be exorcised by normal human methodologies. Fate is… absolute. A-Although, I guess you might be able to control the demon’s temper if you bought another Holy Stone… …...

This is Chihaya. Chihaya is a terrible person.

U-Um, I’m not entirely sure who you are… But do you know of any other way I can approach this problem…?

Mine? Oh… You’re talking about Yuya, aren’t you? It’s Yuya Uchimura… Um… why do you want to know? What are you planning on doing?

I’m surprised her immediate assumption isn’t just that I’ll loving merc this dude.

Y-Yes! What do you expect to change with that meager information…?

What…? You honestly believe you can do something!?
…… I… I trust you.

Excuse me!?
It feels like he’s telling the truth. Besides, Yuya has all my money. He’s going to pay me back someday… But for now, I would rather put my trust in this one boy than in thirty-six payments for a Holy Stone.

Boy, you sure changed your mind about that Holy Stone quick.

What!?

You! What do you think you’re doing!? If you keep making false accusations like that, the divine power will rain punishment down upon you!

...Um, I never accused anyone of anything.

……? You look so pleased with yourself… Hm, I’ve seen everything. A vision of you groveling on the ground… Fate cannot be changed… and I will prove that fact to you! If that woman stays with her abusive boyfriend, she will meet a horrible injury within a year’s time. Now, if you honestly believe you can change her destiny, go ahead and try! But once you realize the error in your thinking, come back and let a true expert handle things. I will save her… with a Holy Stone…!

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Well then, are we done here? I’m way too busy for this!

And we get a new request, which we’ll have to make sure to complete some time in the near future.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 21, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I wish Homeless Man was a party member.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Chihaya has some standards at least, since she tells the woman to dump the guy first.

...also. This woman is actually a pretty good representation of a victim of domestic abuse. There are different kinds, but kinds like this woman definitely exist, in which their attachment is too great and unhealthy to let go of their abuser. Then of course it gets worse. And it is gonna get worse according to Chihaya's predictions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

In my first playthrough I didn't get to start Chihaya's SL until mid-August because of the entrance fee.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GeneX posted:

I wish Homeless Man was a party member.
He has his own game: "Hobo Avenger", which would be made from the guys who make the Yakuza series.

Also, is there a reason why ya go into the dungeon so little? Is it just bad for grinding or what?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

He has his own game: "Hobo Avenger", which would be made from the guys who make the Yakuza series.

Also, is there a reason why ya go into the dungeon so little? Is it just bad for grinding or what?

Time. Going into the dungeon takes up valuable time that can be used to do something else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also yes, Mementos is bad for grinding. Its most recent floors will only contain enemies fought in the previous dungeon, so you're always going to be fighting enemies weaker than you, which means piddly EXP.

There's some decent swag but it's nearly always in locked chests.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's also basically no real point in grinding in between Palaces.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Chihaya is a great Confidant, with an amazing ability deep in it, but these pre-ranks are so much of a drag, especially with that yen gate there, since she clearly knows she's scamming people but looks like she has no choice but to keep doing so, despite her great talent at the tarot. Still, I guess she doesn't know what Maaku really can do, so we need to prove her wrong and all that.

Also, shogi waifu! :neckbeard: Her Confidant abilities get really handy as well.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 14, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Plus it's best to rack up a ton of quests and complete them in one fell swoop.

If you really are aiming for maxing out all your SL, you need to save your time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, can we talk about original planned development Hifumi, or is that considered spoilerish territory?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Also yes, Mementos is bad for grinding. Its most recent floors will only contain enemies fought in the previous dungeon, so you're always going to be fighting enemies weaker than you, which means piddly EXP.

There's some decent swag but it's nearly always in locked chests.

It's an easy if incredibly tedious way of making indefinitely large stacks of cash, to be fair.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's also boring and a slog, especially after the palace designs.

I hope the next persona game gets rid of the random dungeon completely.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I don't think I've met anyone who's enjoyed the prefab dungeons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, can we talk about original planned development Hifumi, or is that considered spoilerish territory?

You can go ahead, I was gonna mention it in the update but I forgot. :v:

For context, Hifumi was originally supposed to be a party member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Chihaya is the worst and I hope that she gets run over by a bus. I'm totally not salty about the whole 100k entrance fee. Kawakami was a better use of my money.