Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there will be function call highlighting in pycharm 2017.3, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
broke prod today :yeah:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

luv too hardcode dialog sizes to be larger than any sane system would need because elements lie about their size and red hat uses huge fonts for everythign

i call it "rhapsody in white (space)"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

imho, if i were to make things, i would probably make like

XXX-YYYY-ZZZZ

where X is a version that breaks compatibility, Y is a sub-version that doesnt break compatibility, and Z is a bugfix for current X-Y combination

that assumes the primary concern is to make versioning easy to understand for the user

this is often not the case. sometimes the person deliberately wants to inflate or deflate the version numbers, and sometimes they're just a crazy person who doesn't give a poo poo

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

npm lets people overwrite old versions so two people with version 1.2.3 pinned can actually have different packages depending on when they downloaded it.

When did this happen?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Doom Mathematic posted:

When did this happen?

oh it looks like npm disabled that in 2015ish.

but it was definitely a thing: http://blog.npmjs.org/post/77758351673/no-more-npm-publish-f

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
feels like a lot of people judging node tooling based on the dumpster fire it was a few years ago

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh it looks like npm disabled that in 2015ish.

but it was definitely a thing: http://blog.npmjs.org/post/77758351673/no-more-npm-publish-f

quote:

Some of you have been annoyed or frustrated by this change, and for that, I deeply apologize.
no, wrong, gently caress those idiots

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Chalks posted:

why is nobody capable of doing semantic versioning correctly?

by design

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

javascript is a failure because the people it attracts are loving morons and dont understand that tooling is important.

also the language is bad.

let's compare it to a community of very smart programmers, scala

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

i have come to accept go. hello thread

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i don't think a turd has ever been polished as vigorously as javascript

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

a witch posted:

i have come to accept go. hello thread

yeah go is honestly not bad to program in.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

The problem is they keep trying to polish it with another turd.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
good things i have to say about go:
  • it isn't javascript

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ralith posted:

good things i have to say about go:
  • it isn't javascript

channels are also p deece

too bad about the rest of the language

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

type switches are bad and error handling is incredibly primitive. still I think the only other language that could have done what I needed was c++ and i would rather walk into a lake than write c++ ever again

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
backend programmers: JavaScript is a dumb language for morons, I can't believe anyone uses that garbage language. anyways, back to building my infrastructure, all of which heavily depends upon piles of bash scripts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

imho, if i were to make things, i would probably make like

XXX-YYYY-ZZZZ

where X is a version that breaks compatibility, Y is a sub-version that doesnt break compatibility, and Z is a bugfix for current X-Y combination

this is what x.y.z style version numbers are supposed to be

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ploft-shell crab posted:

backend programmers: JavaScript is a dumb language for morons, I can't believe anyone uses that garbage language. anyways, back to building my infrastructure, all of which heavily depends upon piles of bash scripts

man your really mad about your "language"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyway, morning time to think about typing and how i wish python had static typing option. (at least i hope thats what i wish for, terminology should finally be there)

what language have some sane class/function variable declarations that are brief oneliners in the style of (just as an abstract example)

var foo int(10, 50)

for a foo integer that can take values between 10 and 50

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyway, morning time to think about typing and how i wish python had static typing option. (at least i hope thats what i wish for, terminology should finally be there)

you can use mypy for type annotations on functions, and variables too from python 3.6, but don’t bother it’s not worth the effort tbh

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

if you want that kinda validation thjng in python, if you’re doing it as the boundary of your program (e.g. rest api calls) then you can use a validation lib like colander

if you’re trying to enforce programmer correctness, I guess you can do that but it’s not ideal, nor is a bunch of if statements and raise ValueError

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Javascript is bad because when I feel clever using it, I've usually done something shameful that I regret later.

Swift is good because when I feel clever using it, it's because I've been super pedantic about everything and so if it builds it will probably work.

C and C# are somewhere in the middle.

Nothing makes me feel like I'm effortlessly manipulating time and space as a good SQL script though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

you can use mypy for type annotations on functions, and variables too from python 3.6, but don’t bother it’s not worth the effort tbh

im using type annotations with python 3.6, it is completely unrelated to what i am asking, which is which languages have a specific mechanism of enforcing types and values of objects

my python poo poo is straightforward enough to avoid being bitten in the rear end by its type system

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 14, 2017

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
ada?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what language have some sane class/function variable declarations that are brief oneliners in the style of (just as an abstract example)

var foo int(10, 50)

Pascal (don't use Pascal)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hackbunny posted:

Pascal (don't use Pascal)

pascal was the first language i learned but i remember jack poo poo about it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Delphi was good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

Delphi was good

it still was being taught in it program of a local community college a few years back

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
pascal was my first too and it was good, but it belongs in the past

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hackbunny posted:

pascal was my first too and it was good, but it belongs in the past

yah i wouldnt find much use to it (not that i knew much to begin with, the curriculum was of the level of last year of latvian primary school, so i think we didnt go past control flow)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pascal is one of those things were its fans think it was more popular than it actually was.

like if it was 1995 and you wanted to write a rotating 3d fire cube for dos vga mode 13h then pascal tutorials were everywhere. but if you wanted to write literally anything else in it then lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sweevo posted:

wanted to write a rotating 3d fire cube for dos vga mode 13h

i would like to know more

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
paging luigi thirty

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

paging luigi thirty

*in luigi thirty voice* do i look like a time traveller from the future to you

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

var foo int(10, 50)

If you don't need this to actually be part of the type system and just want some sort of overkill way to effectively do assertions, Eiffel.

Otherwise this is territory where you need dependent types, so Idris or something.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

If you don't need this to actually be part of the type system and just want some sort of overkill way to effectively do assertions, Eiffel.

Otherwise this is territory where you need dependent types, so Idris or something.

its mostly just curiosity/mild frustration, rather than an acute need. seems like a really useful thing to have on system entry points, so you don't have to invent a bicycle every time you code something with, e.g. this monster from stackoverflow, for example

code:
def easy_spirit_bear_wrapper(*args, __beartype_func=easy_spirit_bear, **kwargs):
    if not (
        isinstance(args[0], __beartype_func.__annotations__['kermode'])
        if 0 < len(args) else
        isinstance(kwargs['kermode'], __beartype_func.__annotations__['kermode'])
        if 'kermode' in kwargs else True):
            raise TypeError(
                'easy_spirit_bear() parameter kermode={} not of {!r}'.format(
                args[0] if 0 < len(args) else kwargs['kermode'],
                __beartype_func.__annotations__['kermode']))

return_value = __beartype_func(*args, **kwargs)

if not isinstance(return_value, __beartype_func.__annotations__['return']):
        raise TypeError(
            'easy_spirit_bear() return value {} not of {!r}'.format(
                return_value, __beartype_func.__annotations__['return']))

return return_value

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Soricidus posted:

paging luigi thirty

i haven't used pascal actually all my dos poo poo is in C++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

its mostly just curiosity/mild frustration, rather than an acute need. seems like a really useful thing to have on system entry points, so you don't have to invent a bicycle every time you code something with, e.g. this monster from stackoverflow, for example

code:
def easy_spirit_bear_wrapper(*args, __beartype_func=easy_spirit_bear, **kwargs):
    if not (
        isinstance(args[0], __beartype_func.__annotations__['kermode'])
        if 0 < len(args) else
        isinstance(kwargs['kermode'], __beartype_func.__annotations__['kermode'])

i looked up that SO post and what the actual gently caress :wtc:

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 14, 2017

• Locked thread