Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Markkanen played a lot of 3 in college but that's obviously not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
well, drat. bad news about kawhi.

maybe manu was telling the truth when he said the spurs were going to have a slow start this season.

why would the hawks agree to just gobble up cleveland's salary for nothing? are they the ones getting the second round picks? not really seeing the benefit for the hawks, much like when they traded korver for nothing

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
It's hilarious AND sad that the Bulls commercials for the upcoming season have players filling out MY NAME IS name tags and introducing themselves.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
R. Lopez is a + defender but can't do a thing by himself on offense.

tanglewood1420 posted:

FAO Bulls, Hawks and Knicks fans - Euroleague started yesterday and Luka Doncic put up 27/4/4 on 14 shots in 26 minutes as Real Madrid won 88-74. He's probably the best European prospect ever and I'd be very excited to draft him no. 1 next summer.

Top of the draft is so stacked. I can't wait to see how the Knicks gently caress it up and limp to 38 wins, one win short of the playoffs in the East.

Did you see the ESPN story where they had the picture of teenage Goran Dragic and 9 y/o pre-growth-spurt Chubby Luka?
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20668236/there-never-nba-draft-prospect-slovenia-luka-doncic

AggressivelyStupid posted:

just saw the bashez posting, good ban imo

I browsed over a few pages and to me it looked like everybody was being a huge rear end in a top hat to Bashez, claiming he was saying stuff I didn't see him saying, like they needed someone to be the bad guy so they could feel righteous whilst behaving all aggro dickish

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RaySmuckles posted:

well, drat. bad news about kawhi.

maybe manu was telling the truth when he said the spurs were going to have a slow start this season.

why would the hawks agree to just gobble up cleveland's salary for nothing? are they the ones getting the second round picks? not really seeing the benefit for the hawks, much like when they traded korver for nothingWh

The best thing that could come out of Kawhi missing part of the season is him missing enough for them to be the 8 seed. That'd be a great round 1 matchup.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i don't see them falling as far as 8th

edit: someone had a seriously downvoted post on reddit that said "kawhi's not playing until december." i'm starting to think that's going to be true

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 14, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

R. Lopez is a + defender but can't do a thing by himself on offense.

Mirotic is ok too. The Mirotic+Lopez lineups were legit pretty good defensively. Defensively your front-court is pretty solid, but the wing defense of Markkanen and Holiday is going to be r-o-u-g-h, and I'd rather see Markkanen drawing out bigs on offense instead of wings.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
47 pages in and I can say basketball and other things is a very good book

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I browsed over a few pages and to me it looked like everybody was being a huge rear end in a top hat to Bashez, claiming he was saying stuff I didn't see him saying, like they needed someone to be the bad guy so they could feel righteous whilst behaving all aggro dickish

he was doing very standard "just asking questions!!!!" horseshit that is tired and old and often employed by garbage pieces of poo poo that should put against a wall and shot

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Richard Jefferson should sign with the Warriors to continue the tradition of Cleveland-Golden State signing players from each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AggressivelyStupid posted:

he was doing very standard "just asking questions!!!!" horseshit that is tired and old and often employed by garbage pieces of poo poo that should put against a wall and shot

He was also ignoring any evidence that could have corrected him in favor of what his eyes saw.

Even though he couldn't possibly have seen it as the video didn't show it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

RaySmuckles posted:

i don't see them falling as far as 8th

edit: someone had a seriously downvoted post on reddit that said "kawhi's not playing until december." i'm starting to think that's going to be true

pop taking the rest thing to a whole new level, kawhi doesn't come off the ice until the WCF at the earliest

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

chunkles posted:

I like how it says "European" draft rights and doesn't specify who

"Well what do you want back?"
"Some Europeans would get it done I guess"

i cracked up because i'm 100% sure this exchanged has happened

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure it was the draft strategy of several teams in those heady post-Ginobili years

Rockets cut Tim Quarterman, Isaiah Taylor, Chris Johnson, George de Paula today.

e: and signed DANUEL HOUSE

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 14, 2017

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

EvanTH posted:

like they needed someone to be the bad guy so they could feel righteous whilst behaving all aggro dickish

Condolences, now you "get" DnD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Condolences, now you "get" DnD.

Though in this case he is wrong

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Can we please move on. He's not even posting

---

Hahah here's something I never knew I wanted. A history of Kendrick Perkins

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Simmons is having another crazy good preseason game right now against Miami. Only injury will stop him getting rookie of the year, he is for real.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

---

Perkins is the only man who can truly bring Westbrook and Durant back together.

The next 30 for 30

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

Simmons is having another crazy good preseason game right now against Miami. Only injury will stop him getting rookie of the year, he is for real.

Yeah

It looks like he figured it out reached another level

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Perkins is the only man who can truly bring Westbrook and Durant back together.

The next 30 for 30

It'll happen someday :)

Jeez the Grizz are up by 49 vs the Pels

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

As much of a goober as Perk was as a player when I read about him being on OKC and taking hours-long phone calls with guys I can see the benefit of having a dude like that around on the roster.

Also I didn't realize that James Posey is an assistant for the Cavs

quote:

STEVEN ADAMS, THUNDER CENTER: He did give me some advice, but it seems a bit brutish: “Go out and make sure you hit this guy.”

And the rest is history THE END

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
this spurs team is playing so different from last year. its a real joy to watch. the defense is pretty solid and the ball movement is worlds better than last season. lamarcus is looking much more engaged and getting involved in the post is really working out. he put up 26/10 tonight.

rudy gay is an amazing player to have coming off the bench. he may not quite have his old step, but he has rock solid moves and a good mind for scoring.

the bench is solid all the way down to 15. its really impressive. they're all playing both sides of the court well.

its going to be really interesting to see what happens when kawhi comes back. i wonder if this lamarcus focused, heavy ball movement style will end his MVP dreams. i'm not sure. as long as he keeps his points around 26 and gets up to about 6 assists, which should be easy with more ball movement, i think it'll be his.

either way, it was a fun game against the rockets and the spurs are looking really, really good.

if only bashez were here to temper my spirits.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rudy Gay looked pretty good tonight for coming off an Achilles tear

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

---

quote:

PERKINS: I’d love to coach when I finish playing one day. I know a lot of GMs that value my knowledge of the game. I would have a lot of options. I probably would call up Oklahoma City.

Give me coach perk

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

Rudy Gay looked pretty good tonight for coming off an Achilles tear

for sure. all the spurs need him to do is score points and play decent defense. he'll be coming off the bench and having someone to plug in for kawhi that can score consistently will be really beneficial.

for such an understated offseason, the team on the floor is looking really good. spurs gonna spur.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

His defense was already kinda circling the drain before the injury, but he's shot well at various points in his career and the Spurs this year will probably be the best offensively coached/spaced team he's ever been on. Probably the ideal situation for him if he can indeed come back from the injury

I was looking through his stats now and had a traumatic flashback to the time I saw him and DeRozan play in person in a 2OT

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I just rewatched that Westbrook 3/4 court nutmeg to Oladipo about 5-10 times in a row god damned M V fuckin P best play of the season

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rudy Gay on the Spurs is going to look like an all-star. He's exactly the sort of dude whose weaknesses get papered over in SA. They're a 60 win team if Kawhi can do 60 games.

Just quoting this again because the crowd goes "Oooo--Ahhh!!" Like in fake crowd noises

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

I'm late as hell but dennis smith júnior will win rookie of the year

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I put Fultz in the poll but I have zero confidence in the prediction and I wish I could change it to Simmons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Fultz will score and that's a good predictor. I think Simmons is more ready though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I picked Doner Van Mitchell

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Embiid rules

https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/919045772410224640

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Joel Embiid on a single-man quest to make the eastern conference watchable TV by bringing back trash talk.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
From zach lowe's preseason guesses

quote:

Phoenix trades Eric Bledsoe to (maybe) the Nuggets

This should happen, even if Bledsoe is (if you wish really hard) young enough at 27 to still be good when the Phoenix kiddos are ready to win. How about Emmanuel Mudiay, Darrell Arthur (present for salary-matching), Juancho Hernangomez and an unprotected Denver first-round pick?

Phoenix has asked for more in the past, but the Suns have to accept the reality of Bledsoe's market. They get a free look at a lottery-pick point guard on their age timeline, a crafty, sweet-shooting combo forward in Hernangomez, and another pick in the quiver.

Denver would miss Hernangomez; they need him to sop up wing minutes. Tough. Every upgrade comes at a cost. Any three-for-one deal would put the Suns over the roster limit, but they have easy avenues to address that.

Bledsoe would give Denver at least two plus defenders in its starting five. He's not the cleanest fit on offense with Jokic, but he can adapt; a team relying on Bledsoe to run every possession isn't going anywhere, anyway. He's big enough to defend some wings and play alongside Jamal Murray, unlocking more small-ball lineups.

Bledsoe would swell Denver's 2018-2019 tax bill, but they have almost two years to unload a big salary -- Kenneth Faried, Mason Plumlee (on a fat new deal despite negative leverage!) or perhaps even Wilson Chandler next season if Chandler picks up his option.

The Clippers might poke around a Bledsoe reunion. The Pelicans could get desperate if Rajon Rondo's recovery from a sports hernia goes haywire. The Bucks have a long-standing jones for him, but it's unclear how they would match salaries. Don't count out some of the bad Eastern Conference teams with long-term point guard questions or untrained prospects: Orlando, New York and, especially, Chicago.

Bledsoe on Denver would be fantastic. The extra step and a half he'd give Jokic would mean that Jokic could at least stand in the way of the rim, and that would probably pop their defensive ranking from worst to 24th. Add Millsap and you get closer to 19. They become a real team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao he's still going in

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/919049822237323264

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
embiid is too good for this world

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao you beat me to it.

By midseason Joel will be tweeting links to basketball-reference queries and ESPN trade machine deals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/919050661232340993

Bruuuuuuuh

• Locked thread