Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I'm just looking at some of these winners of the Saturn Award for "Best Action or Adventure Film". It was first awarded in 1994 and the inaugural winner was... Pulp Fiction. That's a great movie but it's not what you'd call an action or adventure movie, is it? Movies it won over included Speed and True Lies.

Subsequent winners include The Green Mile (action! adventure!) and Hidden Figures (you don't get much more action-packed than a biopic about female mathematicians at NASA in the 1960s).

Actually, almost none of the winners in this category were action or adventure movies!

Pulp Fiction was a time travel movie, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Haha, I'm just looking at some of these winners of the Saturn Award for "Best Action or Adventure Film". It was first awarded in 1994 and the inaugural winner was... Pulp Fiction. That's a great movie but it's not what you'd call an action or adventure movie, is it? Movies it won over included Speed and True Lies.

Subsequent winners include The Green Mile (action! adventure!) and Hidden Figures (you don't get much more action-packed than a biopic about female mathematicians at NASA in the 1960s).

Actually, almost none of the winners in this category were action or adventure movies!

Well at least Green Mile technically was fantasy and based on a Stephen King book.

But yeah, that just seems like they give out awards to big mainstream stuff to try and get attention so they're not relegated to nerd niches.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wrapped up season one of Bosch already. I loved it. Will power on to season 2 tonight after work.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Wrapped up season one of Bosch already. I loved it. Will power on to season 2 tonight after work.

It gets a lot better! Season one was held down by doing a bog standard serial killer storyline that's been done a hundred times before, which they get away from in the following seasons.

One story I remember about Dan Harmon is at some kind of wrap-party or whatever, he gave a speech all about what an rear end in a top hat Chevy was, in front of Chevy's family. While true, saying that poo poo in front of his family says a hell of a lot about what kind of person you are

Norwegian Rudo fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 13, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

https://twitter.com/TomatoGrandpa/status/917903050085470211

I turned myself into a hot take, Morty! I'M HOT TAKE RIIIIICK!!!

lol he just hates workers/labor doesn't he? First his own, now Mcd's.

e:fb

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Isn't it well documented fact after all the production issues Community went through and his brief removal as show runner that Dan Harmon is an alcoholic (the alcoholic part might be past tense now) rear end in a top hat?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

esperterra posted:

Isn't it well documented fact after all the production issues Community went through and his brief removal as show runner that Dan Harmon is an alcoholic (the alcoholic part might be past tense now) rear end in a top hat?

He has a whole podcast where he talks about being an alcoholic rear end in a top hat a lot. He's self aware but has no reason to change any of his behavior because it's made him a ton of money.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He was pretty upfront about it on the Community commentary tracks, too. He's pretty honest about being a douche.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

drunkill posted:

Yeah I'm on Ep 2 of Mindhunter (the montage was great), really digging this. Might make a thread later tonight if nobody else does.

And I'm surprised by the opening scene of the first episode, Fincher said when Netflix told him how many millions of people turned off House of Cards after the first scene he was horrified. That was tame in comparison to Mindhunter.

Was that Frank killing the dog?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Crazy Ex Girlfriend is baaaaaaaaaaack

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If Dan Harmon wasn't rich, he'd absolutely be a regular poster on SA.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mindhunter is everything I thought it might be and more. Two episodes in and it might already be my favorite show of the year.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Norwegian Rudo posted:

One story I remember about Dan Harmon is at some kind of wrap-party or whatever, he gave a speech all about what an rear end in a top hat Chevy was, in front of Chevy's family. While true, saying that poo poo in front of his family says a hell of a lot about what kind of person you are

Honest?

:v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

X-O posted:

Mindhunter is everything I thought it might be and more. Two episodes in and it might already be my favorite show of the year.

Good. I ended up playing RL 'til like five in the morning, so I'm going to start it later after I hit up my dispensary.

Aw yiss.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holy poo poo, Ben McKenzie needs to write more episodes of Gotham.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Holy poo poo, Ben McKenzie needs to write more episodes of Gotham.

Yeah I saw on the AV Club that this season has been really good so far?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its been the most "Batman" the show has been. McKenzie specifically wrote this week's episode "The Demon's Head" and it was a lot of fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yea mindhunter is super good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Its been the most "Batman" the show has been. McKenzie specifically wrote this week's episode "The Demon's Head" and it was a lot of fun.

How do they pronounce Ras al'Ghul

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

B:TAS

There was a goofy little joke in this week's episode where Gordon was talking to another cop on the phone and tells them to find out what they can about "Ra's al Ghul" and as he takes the phone away from his ear and is about to hang up you hear "how do you spell that?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chevy's reputation is so bad this probably made people like Dan more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

How do they pronounce Ras al'Ghul

The correct way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The only problem I have with this version of Ras is that he's with Barbara. The absolute worst part of the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Isn't she an insane person who fucks anything with two legs in the show, though?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

esperterra posted:

Isn't she an insane person who fucks anything with two legs in the show, though?

Yeah but I expect better more of Ras. I'm not mad, just disappointed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Metropolis posted:

Was that Frank killing the dog?

Yep, almost entirely off screen and just audio cues. The intro to Mindhunter is quite a bit more graphic and sudden.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I want a Riverdale/Crazy Ex-Girlfriend crossover. Specifically, a Rebecca and Cheryl fantasy revenge musical number.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A bit late because I completed the season recently, but Difficult People Season 3 was great. My only big complaint was that Marilyn's story arc didn't give her as much of a chance to be her beautifully awful self in other ways, although the bat mitzvah episode was about as purely her as it could get. Precious few moments with the bassets, too.

Also, outside of the second-to-last episode which gave her some much-needed characterization, Lola is still a godawful character. More stuff like the trans sisterhood and far, far fewer lines about her conspiracy theory beliefs and her trans womanhood, please.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back, and it looks like Darryl and White Josh continue to be the heart of the show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just saw the latest gently caress Scientology and holy poo poo. That is literal human rights abuses there. Someone's got to be able to do something legally with that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rarity posted:

I just saw the latest gently caress Scientology and holy poo poo. That is literal human rights abuses there. Someone's got to be able to do something legally with that.

The F.B.Aiii have been given a shitload of evidence. But their crack team is trying to impeach a Orangutan

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Omg omg

Hillary Clinton is gonna be ok the Graham Norton Dhow next week

:aaaaa:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I......yay.....?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Omg omg

Hillary Clinton is gonna be ok the Graham Norton Dhow next week

:aaaaa:

No habla whatever that is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Graham Norton Show is a weekly British talk show. It comes on BBC America in the US. It's pretty entertaining as far as talk shows go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Guests get drunk and tell embarrassing stories

Or if you're Mark Walhberg, get drunk and embarrass yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAqrrW3ZJc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If there's one person I have no interest in hearing drunken fluffy stories from it's Hillary Clinton

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

She must be on a press tour over there or something, because she was on a different bbc show earlier today.

I think it's a good bet that Hillary Clinton will not get drunk, or even be funny or entertaining like most of the guests are. I know that major political figures are a huge get for talk shows, but I don't know why the audience should be excited for this one. Who knows, maybe she'll prove me wrong though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 14, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was born in england, i have no interest in watching english talk shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
She’s over here as part of the London Literature Festival, which I was considering attending but I’m too exhausted from the London FILM Festival tbh

• Locked thread