Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

bonds0097 posted:

If you're just starting, scale75 paints can be frustrating. They're super thick and tend to turn into a gloopy mess in my badger 105 that takes ages to clean out compared to vallejo airs and reaper paints. And that's with copious amounts of airbrush thinner and flow improver.

They look pretty awesome though, some of the shades are unlike anything else in my massive collection of paints and I love them. I have the normal set but want to get the fantasy set as well.

The blue Inktensity ink looks like regular pen ink straight out of the bottle. It airbrushes beautifully with just flow improver though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Any use Martian Ironcrust and washed it? Curious to see what results you get with which washes.

November 2016 WD has some great stuff on the texture paints.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Harkano posted:

November 2016 WD has some great stuff on the texture paints.

The painting app also has a pretty good overview of what you can do with texture paints even if the small pictures kinda make it hard to see at times.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I'm a massive fan of Astrogranite and Astrogranite Debris as they're essentially the same colour as the grey primer I use so if I forget to add it to the bases before priming, I can add it either after or at the end, hit it with whatever colour I want the texture to be (usually grey because I'm lazy) and it'll be the same level of brightness base colour as if I'd primed it at the same time. You can also hit them with a hairdryer for a couple of minutes if you're impatient and don't want to wait 45m-1 hour for the texture to dry.

Slop on Astrogranite and dab in some Astrogranite Debris for variety, base coat, wash, drybrush, slap on some shrubs and snow. So much less hassle than the old glue on sand, primer and paint method (and less messy).

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

zokie posted:

The blue Inktensity ink looks like regular pen ink straight out of the bottle. It airbrushes beautifully with just flow improver though.

I use the scale75 inks and Vallejo inks a ton, I love them. The scale inks are wonderfully intense and awesome for glazing.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

The painting app also has a pretty good overview of what you can do with texture paints even if the small pictures kinda make it hard to see at times.

What sucks about it though is it only has 1 option for each of the paints, where they clearly have all the photography from that article available ( it does 4 shade/drybrush comboes for each texture, so 8 total for the Martian pair) and they could put it in the app so I don't need to go dig out my WD :D

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Harkano posted:

What sucks about it though is it only has 1 option for each of the paints, where they clearly have all the photography from that article available ( it does 4 shade/drybrush comboes for each texture, so 8 total for the Martian pair) and they could put it in the app so I don't need to go dig out my WD :D

Ah, then yeah then the article is a much better idea in that case.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009
I spent my lunchtime today cobbling together a basic photo booth out of a cardboard box and some leftover tissue paper, so I can finally take some only-moderately-bad photos of the stuff I've been painting recently.

Those 40k grots I was asking for basic advice on. I went with VGA Barbarian Flesh and Charred Earth rims in the end, quite happy with how they came out.

Some Silver Tower grots, finally got around to sorting out a basing scheme for them (shamelessly stolen from one of the reader photos in the back of White Dwarf):

Lots of grots! More grots than my lightbox can handle!

Lost Patrol scouts, still need to tidy up the bases, add matt varnish and some jungle foliage, and work out how I'm going to do shoulder symbols... But I'm pretty happy with how they came out, even if it took forever.

Blood Bowl colour scheme tester for my undead team. Decided to go for "Spooky undead at night" with glowing light coming up from the ground. It's hard to photograph in one go, but he's almost monochrome from above and very green from below. Quite pleased how this guy came out, and the process was just 'zenithal' airbrush (khaki from above, green from below), lots of glazing, a bit of faffing around with the metal areas, and some heavy drybrushing again with the green. It shouldn't be too hard to keep up on the whole team, I just need to find a basing style I'm happy with - the current one is GW agrellan mixed with black, but I'd like thicker cracks if I can get them so I need to do some more experimenting.

Meeple fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 13, 2017

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Gargunza posted:

The thing I've really been appreciating about your videos is the professional quality of the editing and VO work, and this was your best one yet. (Heat staining is one of my favorite effects, so I might be a bit prejudiced.)

Where did you get the rotating display base?

Thanks! I want to figure out better camerawork for my tutorials though, as painting around my camera was a pain in the butt. As for the rotating thing, it's this guy from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EUFECU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

tiny camera at the end of your brush

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have some Liquitex varnish (gloss and matte) and want to use my airbrush to apply it. How much should I dilute it and what pressure should I use?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I bought myself a set of cheapish sable paint brushes and it's absolutely incredible how much of the trouble I've been having making my stuff look like not-rear end has been due to my lovely brushes. I can actually do edge highlighting that doesn't look entirely like poo poo now!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pendent posted:

I bought myself a set of cheapish sable paint brushes and it's absolutely incredible how much of the trouble I've been having making my stuff look like not-rear end has been due to my lovely brushes. I can actually do edge highlighting that doesn't look entirely like poo poo now!

Mods - please sticky this so people will finally realize that having decent brushes really does help your painting. Thx.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

How would people do tzeenchian snow? Or snow that looks a bit off.
Got the last past of commission stuff I need to do which includes 31 Thousand Sons done in the same snow base as the Wolves I've been working on before.
But I want their bases to stand out a tad bit more because otherwise it's going to be white armor on somewhat white bases, which feels like it's going to blend together far too much.

So the question is, how do I spice this up a bit?
A blue wash or glaze at the edges to imply the stuff is melting in their presence? Or a mixed red/blue thing?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have some Liquitex varnish (gloss and matte) and want to use my airbrush to apply it. How much should I dilute it and what pressure should I use?

I've shot the matte undiluted fine @ 14-20 PSI through both my 105 and Masters cheapie. Something with a trigger stop like the Masters helps as being nearly clear it can be tricky to gauge how much you're spraying.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Mods - please sticky this so people will finally realize that having decent brushes really does help your painting. Thx.

You also don't really need to buy a whole set of Really Nice Brushes to get a lot out of it. Something like a W&N (or other high quality) #1 becomes really much more versatile because of how good of a point you can get to work with instead of having to buy a bunch of even smaller mediocre brushes.

darnon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 13, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cooked Auto posted:

Got the last past of commission stuff I need to do which includes 31 Thousand Sons done in the same snow base as the Wolves I've been working on before.
But I want their bases to stand out a tad bit more because otherwise it's going to be white armor on somewhat white bases, which feels like it's going to blend together far too much.

A blue wash or glaze at the edges to imply the stuff is melting in their presence? Or a mixed red/blue thing?

Water naturally filters out colors that are not blue, so maybe some kind of very, very, very light red to the shading. It would probably help to know how you did the snow though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Water naturally filters out colors that are not blue, so maybe some kind of very, very, very light red to the shading. It would probably help to know how you did the snow though.

The snow is just Valhallan Blizzard in this case.
Sorry I forgot to mention that. :shobon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

OSL the snow it so it looks like the Sons are glowing blue maybe? Or the melty thing is good too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

OSL the snow it so it looks like the Sons are glowing blue maybe?

Not sure how I would pull that one off even if it does sound like a cool idea.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Lamenters Yellow glaze, write one of your characters' names with it

(Serious talk: maybe gradually mix it with a gloss gel and start to flatten it towards the edge to suggest melting. Make the melted edge translucent to transparent, then do puddles of gloss varnish where you want it fully melted.)

SRM posted:

Thanks! I want to figure out better camerawork for my tutorials though, as painting around my camera was a pain in the butt. As for the rotating thing, it's this guy from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EUFECU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool, thanks!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Not sure how I would pull that one off even if it does sound like a cool idea.

For OSL, you'd just need a hint of the brightest blue (or whatever color your dudes are) to be reflected in the snow close to them. A drybrush of the color would work, keeping it heaviest near the minis' feet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

For OSL, you'd just need a hint of the brightest blue (or whatever color your dudes are) to be reflected in the snow close to them. A drybrush of the color would work, keeping it heaviest near the minis' feet.

Considering they have white armor with gold trim that might be tricky to pull in that case. A thinned out blue wash might work though.
Either way I might just experiment a little and see what I can achieve.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Its not the cleanest or the most detailed, but its got to be ready for the table next week so I'm calling it done:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
^^I love how that worm turned out, the purple skin with the blue glow works really, really well!

Lead casting time!

While the cnc mill is busy with the molding box i set up the rest of the stuff: Sand, mold release powder, gas burner and some general tools.

The molding box consists of two identical halves with some brass alignment pins. The inside has a grip pattern so the mold doesn't slide out. The white things are the masters.

The box is then filled with sand and compacted. After you remove the masters you get the mold. On my first try i went a bit heavy on the mold release and damaged the mold a little bit. I was eager to do a test cast though so whatever.

For some simple weight discs the other half just needs to be flat. I compacted some sand against the table, drilled some holes for the liquid lead and stacked the two parts.

Then you just pour in the lead.

After some time to cool down you can dig out your finished parts. The first shot didn't come out as clean as i need them to be but it's a good start.

The second mold already came out much cleaner. It's cooling while i type this post.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

attach a camera to the model so we can see your painting face

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got my first MDF terrain in. Anything in particular to keep in mind about prepping or priming?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

S.J. posted:

Just got my first MDF terrain in. Anything in particular to keep in mind about prepping or priming?

MDF is very, very thirsty.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Unless you prime it with something like Kilz, although that stuff goes on pretty thick so probably not a good choice if it's something with etched detail.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

MDF is very, very thirsty.

My plan was to hit it with 2 or 3 coats of rustoleum double coverage.

And yeah this stuff has a decent amount of detail so if I can avoid obscuring I'd like to.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
take some PVA glue, water it down by a third. Paint it on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DiHK posted:

take some PVA glue, water it down by a third. Paint it on.

god that just seems like so much work UGH

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You'll be fine with a couple coats of Rustoleum. Just pay attention to the edges, as these tend to hold primer lest well. A quick scrub with fine-grit sandpaper can help, but it's not strictly necessary.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

S.J. posted:

god that just seems like so much work UGH

Airbrush?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If I had one I'd use it yeah but it's not really in the budget. Thanks for the advice though everyone I really appreciate it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Put together my first squad in five years. It's hilarious that a random chapter contest has led to me wanting to make an entire army of these guys.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Put together my first squad in five years. It's hilarious that a random chapter contest has led to me wanting to make an entire army of these guys.

I’m digging the way you handled the purples, and that power sword is baller.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

You can airbrush PVA glue? :aaaaa:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pierzak posted:

You can airbrush PVA glue? :aaaaa:

Water it down enough and I imagine you can. I've never done it, but given that PVA glue is water soluble I don't see how cleanup would be particularly difficult.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I imagine airbrushing PVA would take extra effort in cleaning; you might want to consider picking up an ultrasonic cleaner along with the airbrush for after you're finished. But thin the glue enough, only spray small amounts at a time alternating with water to clean out the channel, and it should shoot through the airbrush just fine.
(One thing I can tell you about priming MDF with rattlecan primer: never do it with the pieces on the sprue. It turns assembly from "minor effort" into "serious pain in rear end.")

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do it, these guys look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I imagine airbrushing PVA would take extra effort in cleaning; you might want to consider picking up an ultrasonic cleaner along with the airbrush for after you're finished. But thin the glue enough, only spray small amounts at a time alternating with water to clean out the channel, and it should shoot through the airbrush just fine.

I plan on getting an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas. It just seems too useful not to have.

Thanks for the compliment!