Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
I love the fact that the gif would not be out of place at all in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm frankly surprised Lynch didnt deliberately include a datamoshing effect in season 3

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Eric Edelstein (who played one of the Detective Fusco brothers) was on the podcast I Was There Too today. It's worth a listen for his couple of David Lynch stories.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
was the plane's flickering windows intentional?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Everything was intentional, especially the stuff that wasnt.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Everything was intentional, especially the stuff that wasnt.

Your honor, it's all intentional. The plot lines that went nowhere, the inconsistencies, the stuff that made no sense, all of it!

(I kid, I kid)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Agent Cooper in the whisper room, right after the bomb dropped the smoke and hobos pouring out of the convenience store. They both had stoppy jerky rewindy cinematography.

Am I meant to link the two thematically at all or is that just shorthand for "give up your temporal notions of causality here the law and order of time has broken down"

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So after people determined for some reason that Charlie couldn't be the man with Booper in the glass cube room, did anyone ever come up with an idea? It seemed important. I still think its Charlie standing on a step ladder inspecting the box while talking with the doppleganger. He's not as short as the people shrieking "midget" implied.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Baloogan posted:

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/theories/flickering-airplane-windows-code/

Definitely hosed with, but for what purpose who knows.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

oh poo poo i thought it was a cgi render with z tearing that lynch saw and was like "hell yeah, lets keep that"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Krinkle posted:

Agent Cooper in the whisper room, right after the bomb dropped the smoke and hobos pouring out of the convenience store. They both had stoppy jerky rewindy cinematography.

Am I meant to link the two thematically at all or is that just shorthand for "give up your temporal notions of causality here the law and order of time has broken down"
I was thinking about this as well. It happens in two places that are known to be sources of time fuckery (since we know Cooper went back in time from the Dutchman's and that Naido and Cooper went to two different times). If these places are vessels on the proverbial ocean of time (hmm...), then the skipping effect could be, in effect, temporal turbulence -- the past is changing and creating waves in time, but it can only be felt when you're outside of its flow.

Now that I'm thinking of it like that, it could explain some of the weird discontinuities that happen throughout the series, like Diane's phone showing slightly different messages and timestamps every single time they are shown, that are so frequent and blatant that they must be intentional. Another more subtle example is after someone runs into the diner and yells about Billy, the credits roll over what appears to be the same scene from a different angle, but in fact, everyone is sitting in a different place. We already know that Cooper is changing the past, so maybe some of these weird discontinuities really stem from the fact that each scene has a slightly different version of the past. There's other evidence of this, like when Andy comes back from the Fireman's place, there are two overlaid versions of the scene before they converge upon Andy's arrival. There's also the two overlaid versions of the red room that Cooper sees just after he gets tricked by the Arm's doppelganger.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Krinkle posted:

That effect is exactly what it looks/sounds like when you drag the cursor needle thingie around on an Adobe Premiere timeline and I like to imagine David was sitting in the editing room and said "DUWAYNE THAT'S PERFECT HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS STUFF"

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

The Senator Giroux posted:

Eric Edelstein (who played one of the Detective Fusco brothers) was on the podcast I Was There Too today. It's worth a listen for his couple of David Lynch stories.

Seconded, this was a great ep I think everyone in this thread would enjoy. I love when actors talk about being directed by Lynch, his process is fascinating.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Attitude Indicator posted:

The core idea of Lost is different people trapped on a mysterious island who try to understand it as well as thenselves and each other.

It's an ok show. Very uneven.

The problem was fans pretty much guessed what the ending was going to be early on, and the showrunners spent the next five seasons trying to convince us that no, it definitely wasn't anything like that. But then it turned out it was, and very few of the unexplained events and mysteries actually really mattered at all.

For me it embodies the "carrot on a stick" approach to serial drama, where you're constantly being promised amazing things will happen if you just keep watching a little bit longer. Heroes did exactly the same thing. Yep, those answers you wanted to know are definitely coming, just hold on, one more season, for real this time...

The show had some incredible moments on the way and some great performances from actors like Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn(who fully deserved his time in the spotlight after years of being a bit player). But ultimately it felt like it all added up to very little. There have been stupider shows with worse endings, but it's hard to think of a more disappointing one. After six years it should have left you with more than a feeling of "Oh, that's it?"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maelstache posted:

The problem was fans pretty much guessed what the ending was going to be early on, and the showrunners spent the next five seasons trying to convince us that no, it definitely wasn't anything like that. But then it turned out it was

No it wasn’t

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Escobarbarian posted:

No it wasn’t

It wasn't? I distinctly remember people were making "they must be in hell/heaven/purgatory" predictions from like day one, which of course was denied. And then those hack frauds Cuse and Lindelof went with that as the ending anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Maelstache posted:

It wasn't? I distinctly remember people were making "they must be in hell/heaven/purgatory" predictions from like day one, which of course was denied. And then those hack frauds Cuse and Lindelof went with that as the ending anyway.

Oh my god

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maelstache posted:

People did make those predictions.

The predictions did not turn out to be true.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maelstache posted:

Just to make it even clearer than the above posts - they did NOT turn out to be in purgatory the entire time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Here I made a fancy diagram that should help explain things every time this comes up

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I can't believe Laura and Dale were in purgatory the whole time and then Laura blew up purgatory. What a shite ending! No one try to tell me it's not that i won't listen.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

cis autodrag posted:

Chrono cross was good though

like only half of it tho.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I was watching older episodes of Adventure Time and in season 7's "Blank Eyed-Girl" they mention Tulpas. I didn't know that term was used anywhere else.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

People put to much emphasis on endings. It’s an important part of the story for several reasons, sure. But even if a story drops the ball at the end it doesn’t retroactivally make everything previously experienced void.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Attitude Indicator posted:

People put to much emphasis on endings. It’s an important part of the story for several reasons, sure. But even if a story drops the ball at the end it doesn’t retroactivally make everything previously experienced void.

This is always what I say and sums up more or less precise how I feel on the matter, but people don't seem to listen to me.

To me, I *try* to assign equal value to all the episodes for the most part. Certain episodes are obviously better than the others, and even in totally episodic shows the order of episodes is still somewhat significant,but it's like... maybe 3-4% versus 96-97% which is the entire content that makes up the episode.

I mean, FRANKLY if you ask me, Lynch could have basically put "Episode 8" at the end of the series. I feel like he made it "Episode 8" so it would be like "Episode Number 'Rearranged-Judy-Symbol-into-Infinity'/Eight". Say the Tremond house encounter and the scream was the BEGINNING of the last episode, and after that it cut straight to the Bomb and Threnody playing (a blend from Laura screaming into Threnody would have been great). And then we see all the crazy Episode 8 stuff, and the end of the show is the Abe Lincoln woodsman flying away.... Would that be a better ending?

Lynch truly could have easily ended the series with Episode 8. In terms of relevance to the season 3 plot itself there's no real need to place it in that specific spot in the story that I can see; The Woodsmen's resurrection is just one of many creepy Woodsmen scenes with BadCoop, and it's not as if the nature of his resurrection is explained in any way, and any new would be just as revelatory at the end as it the beginning. In fact, I'd argue that it would be cooler if the first time we see the Theater is when Bad Coop warps there via the coordinates - it would make the reveal of "where do the coordinates lead?!" much better.

But to me it makes very littler difference beyond those little things. But I think it would have made a big difference in overall perception if Lynch had ended the series with a bang in lieu of a scream.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 13, 2017

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maelstache posted:

The show had some incredible moments on the way and some great performances from actors like Michael Emerson and no one else
Fixed that for you.

Its fair to criticize LOST for having a poo poo ending because the show had 0 substance. The characters were all bland, one dimensional, and poorly acted. The only thing it had going for it was that carrot on stick mystery to solve. When it turned out there was no solution, then yeah the ending retroactively made the whole show worse.

Its like getting a handjob for 15 minutes constantly on edge, then your partner just gets up and leaves. Sure you were having fun while it was going on, but thats only because of the anticipation of the climax. With such a disappointing ending you wish it never happened.

I guess it gave us this though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBdPHIue3s0

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

kaworu posted:

This is always what I say and sums up more or less precise how I feel on the matter, but people don't seem to listen to me.

To me, I *try* to assign equal value to all the episodes for the most part. Certain episodes are obviously better than the others, and even in totally episodic shows the order of episodes is still somewhat significant,but it's like... maybe 3-4% versus 96-97% which is the entire content that makes up the episode.

I mean, FRANKLY if you ask me, Lynch could have basically put "Episode 8" at the end of the series. […] But to me it makes very littler difference beyond those little things. But I think it would have made a big difference in overall perception if Lynch had ended the series with a bang in lieu of a scream.

The ending is more important because it is at the end. We kind of had this discussion before in a different context, so I'll just quote Peter Brooks at you again:

"The necessary retrospectivity of narrative: that only the end can finally determine meaning, close the sentence as a signifying totality."[/quote]

The ending is crucial because it has a special place in the story. When the story ends, there are no more pages left in the book, the DVD goes back to the title screen. It's over. Nothing more to be said. This final moment is the last possibility to convey something. If you're M. Night Shyamalan, you use the ending for plot twists, turning the narrative upside down. In classic literature, the ending and the first paragraphs of the novel condense the themes down to their most symbolic elements.

Lynch chooses to do something a bit different. After the culmination of all plot threads in episode 17, episode 18 is more like an epilogue. It's not the showdown, but a final, new thing. Going out with a bang like you suggest would only have been necessary if episode 17 hadn't done this already.

In episode 18, we see the first few Lodge scenes again. Cooper tries to save Laura again. Finally, Laura's scream echoes the initial scream by the girl running across the schoolyard. This symmetry is intentional. It sends us back to episode 1. Season three is not about going back to the past, but to the beginning of the narrative. It's not a time loop we're dealing with, it's the season looping in on itself.

eSporks posted:

the ending [is] […] like getting a handjob for 15 minutes constantly on edge, then your partner just gets up and leaves.

That's a good summary of serialised television's great dilemma. You can't keep edging forever. :fap:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Remember when we had all those ideas for what Wally Brando's story would be

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

moist turtleneck posted:

Remember when we had all those ideas for what Wally Brando's story would be

Wally Brando was too beautiful to appear in more than one scene.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Holy poo poo, Jack's dad literally explained directly to him that the island was real and everything that happened really happened. There was really no room left for misinterpretation. The story of Lost has a pretty traditional ending where the good guy defeats evil and fulfills his destiny while dying in the process, and a new era of peace dawns on the land or whatever. It's pretty much one big cliche as far as endings go. The "purgatory" twist serves as the final mindfuck to resolve the ongoing mystery of the final season (i.e., what is that other universe?) but you could take every single one of those flash-sideways scenes out of there and you'd be left with a final season that ties things up neatly and barrels towards a relatively plain conclusion with a lot of exposition and explaining, and little room for mystery.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It doesn't really tie things up, it leaves a bunch if poo poo open. It also makes it out to be like the show was about the characters, but the characters were poo poo.

The only reason anyone watched that show was to find out why the island was weird, and we got blue balled on that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You know what I love, more convo about Lost's ending.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wally Brando was too beautiful to appear in more than one scene.

His dharma is the road.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

The Merkinman posted:

I was watching older episodes of Adventure Time and in season 7's "Blank Eyed-Girl" they mention Tulpas. I didn't know that term was used anywhere else.

I was actually surprised /x/ didn't implode when tulpas were mentioned on Twin Peaks. That board has been fascinated with them for years and years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

His dharma is the road.

The road rose up to meet his wheels.

And people say Lynch characters can't have happy endings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Late for the LOST chat: Im with the ones who didint liked the ending

I was a huge fan and Ive spent all those years theorizing about the dharma initiative experiments, and polar bears, and time travel, and space-time distortions and whatnot and then when we got to the bottom of it.. well, there this magic island atop this magic water which has something to do with The Good and The Evil, and there's the good guy versus the bad guy and whatever. I dont even remember exactly, but I remember that I was like "hmm so that was it? well, bummer" and never felt like rewatching it or even thinking about it again. It seemed a lot more interesting when we didn't knew what it was about

Its kinda the complete opposite of what the end o Twin Peaks S3 was for me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 14, 2017

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

eSporks posted:

It doesn't really tie things up, it leaves a bunch if poo poo open. It also makes it out to be like the show was about the characters, but the characters were poo poo.

The only reason anyone watched that show was to find out why the island was weird, and we got blue balled on that.

For a show where "everything sucked and all the characters were poo poo", a lot of people sure seem to keep talking about it

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Don't put words in my mouth!

I never said everything sucked. The weird mysterious island was cool, and it was fun to try and piece it all together. Then the ending just goes "hey, ya know the only good part about the show, well turns out, that part doesn't matter is really about your emotional investment to these empty husks of characters, and something about good vs evil"

To carry the analogy further. Handjobs are cool, but only when they lead to something else. If you are going to give me a handjob and not finish, then tell me it was about the rich conversation we had I'm gonna be a little mad.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Rocco posted:

For a show where "everything sucked and all the characters were poo poo", a lot of people sure seem to keep talking about it

the holocaust also sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
make a lost rewatch thread