Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

same mate

same

just hanging around for another half an hour before going out to a gig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

no

no
winter is the worst

summer all year. no rain. just sunshine and long evenings

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

no

no
winter is the worst

summer is different in different places. having spent the summer in okinawa i am kinda keen to get into some german autumn just so i stop needing to bathe every fifteen minutes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cazlab posted:

for some reason i had a hankering to listen to weird al's "dare to be stupid."
i could never tell what if any particular song it was supposed to be parodying.
had never seen the video, but it makes it clear what al is lampooning is outfits like devo, the talking heads, peter gabriel, and other psychedlic pop and arthouse punk groups. the visuals are near perfect replicas of so many videos of the early mtv era.
anyway, youtube suggested i watch "all about the pentiums" next... while i thought it was corny when it came out, well poo poo, i think 18 years in the future i like it unironically.
weird al has a knack for somehow capturing the essence of particular aspects of the time he's operating in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMvS1Q1sos

yeah its one of those things where you think "oh, yeah. that was kind of good when i heard it the first 100 times" but then yeah its still really good. hes just that good. idk if i like his parodies or his polkas more.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

this is what the sf bay area is like it owns

it never gets cold enough for water to freeze here and there's no mosquitoes

deffo a pro place to be homeless

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
winter is great in canada

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cazlab posted:

cold = bad.

i went on a business trip with a buddy to chicago in february once.
we were both alcoholics and he was a smoker, so as soon as we got settled at the hotel in the northern suburbs we're like "okay i can see a 7-11 caddycorner to us, let's go.
bundled all up with a scarf and a hood and gloves and everything we embark.
we made it across the street once and the waterfall feature that the apartment complex had there had frozen mid waterfall in crazy icicle formations, and every single breath hurt to take.
i was like "gently caress it. i'll pay room service $30 for a bottle of wine. i'll have the concierge do it on my card. i'm going back."
and he was like "gently caress you! they don't have cigarettes and if i'm doing this then you are too. besides you'll hateself for getting 1/3 the liquor for 3x the price."
it was awful.

chicago isn't cold

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DiggityDoink posted:

the guy who threw the punch ended up getting arrested and was the one who started talking poo poo with the old man

https://deadspin.com/panthers-fan-sucker-punches-old-man-1819436354

then it's all good, a racist got punched and an rear end in a top hat got arrested

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
esports fans are so much more classy and civilized such an occurrence would be unthinkable whilst attending an esport

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

SmokaDustbowl posted:

chicago isn't cold

i've also been to northern idaho in december and denver during a literal blizzard.
i'm sure you're right and i've not experienced what true cold is, but i've seen enough i don't wanna know more.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
cold is great

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

chicago isn't cold

loving can't stand "this isnt cold" gatekeeping

mother fuckers who are stupid enough to join the army and get sent to alaska and spend hours in -10c weather then come along and say "its not cold here" when everyone else is freezing. maybe its relative you mother fucker and you're not superior in any way because you're acclimitised to cold weather.

<-ANGRY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

mother fuckers who are stupid enough to join the army and get sent to alaska and spend hours in -10c weather then come along and say "its not cold here" when everyone else is freezing. maybe its relative you mother fucker and you're not superior in any way because you're acclimitised to cold weather.

<-ANGRY

it's regularly -20c in southern ontario, -10 is nothing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the way mammals work it's actually much easier to freeze to death in the range of (iirc) 10-30F due to the presence of moisture in the air available to efficiently leech the heat right outta you

below that exposure isn't as directly effective as the temp would suggest since it freezes the air dry. new orleans in the winter hits this dangerous envelope and has to have special alerts so that the shelters can exceed fire code occupancy to try and keep people alive

that said lol chicago is cold enough to freeze somewhere around 6 homeless people to death a week. that's as much as all of california typically sees a year

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it's neat that humans can easily withstand temperatures 50 degrees (C) below their body temperature, but only 10 degrees above is extremely uncomfortable, and 20 is potentially fatal

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-bpjcPD40

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i think it's neat that humans can easily withstand temperatures 50 degrees (C) below their body temperature, but only 10 degrees above is extremely uncomfortable, and 20 is potentially fatal

acceleration directions are like that too

we can take something like 3-4g directed downward fairly comfortably like on a roller coaster loop but pointing upward 0.2-0.3g like going over a short hill in a car immediately makes you feel sick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
cold is good because you can just put on extra layers and you're back to being warm

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

not butt naked you can't and if you're going to bring high-falutin technology like "clothes" to bear on the task then who gives a gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
no such thing as clothing that's going to make you cooler than if you were naked

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

no such thing as clothing that's going to make you cooler than if you were naked

plastic tubes that circulate water over your body through a condenser unit.
you lack imagination, friend.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
+/- 20c though

well, being naked in 10c weather is not particularly fun but it's not going to kill you

50c otoh is absolutely not a fun time under any circumstances

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Cazlab posted:

plastic tubes that circulate water over your body through a condenser unit.
you lack imagination, friend.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

esports fans are so much more classy and civilized such an occurrence would be unthinkable whilst attending an esport

nah if those loving horrible nerds could muster up the will to talk to one another there would definitely be a lot of fighting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SmokaDustbowl posted:

eating bugs is becoming a real bougie thing, it's funny as hell

they sell crickets to eat at the baseball stadium here

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

desert clothing does exactly this

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
nice desert fedora

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

nice desert fedora

nice dessert fedora

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

i am genuinely upset that his upcoming tour isn't coming anywhere near Raleigh

uh oh, triangle yospos crew is growing in numbers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

no

no
winter is the worst

gently caress any time of the year that isnt winter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

desert clothing does exactly this

it doesnt do anything against ambient air

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dude literally ate a baby and now he's all nyohmy god insects :barf:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cazlab posted:

nice dessert fedora

happy birthday Jam'u!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

<-ANGRY

im sorry for your contry for children, rest of the world has enough land where people live for months at shocking temperature of -10c when it is finally getting cold enough for smoking in flipflops without woolen socks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nice desert fedora

improblob: your fedora is fitted in the desert fashion - who told you how to do that

hph: no one. it seemed the proper way

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it doesnt do anything against ambient air

the real deal protects you from direct sun while not trapping air against your skin so your sweat can be effective w/o drenching you

linen ownsssssss

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the real deal protects you from direct sun while not trapping air against your skin so your sweat can be effective w/o drenching you

linen ownsssssss

yeah thats obvious with white light clothing, breathability + reflecting light

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

so why do so many people native to deserts wear dark clothes? (apart form the obvious answer: white cloth is traditionally more expensive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im sorry for your contry for children

I'm now reading all your posts in Alison Bries dubious russian accent

• Locked thread