Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

Unrelated to this chapter, but I was just thinking that the Class A guy who becomes 5x as strong when he eats sugar has an extremely lovely quirk. Like, we've seen a bunch of other characters who seem to have similar (if not greater) amounts of super strength, either due to monstrous forms or gigantification or just regular super strength. Deku already seems to be capable of at least 5x normal strength without any downside to speak of, while sugar dude has to pay the cost of becoming stupid just to increase the duration of his ability beyond a few minutes. It would be one thing if it increased the power (at least then he could conceivably become absurdly powerful in exchange for becoming dumb), but he's strictly limited to a relatively modest increase in strength as far as strength-increasing quirks seem to go.

I think every times he eats 10 grams of sugar increases his strength along with extending the duration for 3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think Eri is All Might

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

logger posted:

Why not assume that the author has some consistency in the world he built where quirks are regulated by the government and reasonable adults would try to keep children out of danger, rather than try to imagine how she will be used to solve every plot line in the story?

Why would the adults do the dumbest most unsafe thing tho.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think every times he eats 10 grams of sugar increases his strength along with extending the duration for 3 minutes.

Ah, the wiki just said it increased duration. Even if it continues to increase the strength, the stupidity is a pretty bad side effect. 3 minutes is also really short for any sort of longer operation. He would basically be completely incapable of doing anything that requires more than like 10-15 minutes of action (like, say, this current arc).

I guess it partly depends upon how fast he "resets." Like, it's not clear if eating sugar and then eating sugar again 10 minutes after the previous "sugar rush" wore off would continue to make him dumber.

edit: The animal commanding guy, on the other hand, would be pretty powerful if he outgrew his fear of bugs. Just carry a box full of bugs on his back and he would have a very powerful attack against anyone who doesn't have the ability to quickly eradicate a swarm of bugs (in addition to being extremely good at spying).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 14, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

bro im a regular quirkless human and i can eradicate a swarm of bugs

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

bro im a regular quirkless human and i can eradicate a swarm of bugs

yeah? Imagine he had a box of tarantula hawks where even 1 sting incapacitates you.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

tennis racket

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

good luck hitting the ground with a tennis racket

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i believe the tarantula hawk it is a flying creature. i may be mistaken

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if its hawk tarantulas that crawl on the ground, then my boots would suffice

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Shere posted:

People are going all sorts of wacky rear end directions based on like 3/4 pages of a power that we don't really have a full understanding of yet.

Calm down.

*reads Chapter 2* Deku just so happens to get The Best Quirk Ever? This is loving bullshit, overpowered main characters are the worst and this manga is poo poo

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

should use her power on this thread imo

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would the adults do the dumbest most unsafe thing tho.

Why don't the heroes of the story do something illegal? Gee, what a difficult question to answer.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thread devolved into madness quickly

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...I mean, the people that are overreacting aren't the ones sayin' this Quirk could lead to some bullshit. Just sayin'.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
consider that the forced utilization and endangerment of a child for their quirk isn't just a bad thing, but that half the reason this whole raid took place was to put an end to such a case

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Ytlaya posted:

3 minutes is also really short for any sort of longer operation.

Is it now?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God, I need to rewatch that show.

The dub was really good, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shere posted:

People are going all sorts of wacky rear end directions based on like 3/4 pages of a power that we don't really have a full understanding of yet.

Calm down.

Shigaraki's gonna throw a sheet over her and then come out from under it a minute later with her powers too.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

She wouldn't be a front line fighter as her power is useless there.

Honestly not using her is abuse at this point. Because any villain is going to go after her.

Thats a cool supervillain origin story you've got going there.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What would be the best possible thing to do for this traumatized child? Well, obviously it would be to use her as a tool to get what I want. I am the hero.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No, really, its for her own safety that I force her to do my bidding just like her old abuser did.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sirtommygunn posted:

What would be the best possible thing to do for this traumatized child? Well, obviously it would be to use her as a tool to get what I want. I am the hero.
It's all for the best, that makes it okay.

I should've known goons would get weird as soon as a little girl showed up as a character, tbh.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Eri would probably volunteer to try and "fix" Mirio and Nighteye.

What I doubt is that she necessarily can.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

A position entirely comprised of individuals who would never dream of treating kids harshly or abuse them to make sure they are as strong as possible. Especially the current number 1, he'd never stoop so low as to harm a child.

And I don't care about the heroes using or not using Eri's power, but the fact that it's being presented as reality warping opens the door to the kind of power creep that can ruin stories, and to which shonen mangas are very susceptible. I trust Horikoshi, since he's avoided the most common pitfalls until now, but this is a big one, and I'm worried it leads to a substantially different (and in my opinion, worse) story than what it was promised by the previous arcs.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

You cannot simultaneously attempt to use her as a tool and be looking out for her best interests. The fact that "heroes" would be the ones using her doesn't change that. Forcing her to use her power is still keeping her in the situation where she suffered her abuse, just with gentler manipulation.

Also, lol at hiding behind the "hero" title to justify horrible poo poo. Stain was right.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

It's all for the best, that makes it okay.

I should've known goons would get weird as soon as a little girl showed up as a character, tbh.

that's some weird unnecessary shade to throw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

that's some weird unnecessary shade to throw

It's some weird arguing against a strawmen. As I said, one of the sides on this argument is overreacting, and I don't think it's the "this power could lead to some narrative backtracking" one.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

This pacing is busted and dumb. Eri's quirk is inconsistent and dumb. This arc is dumb.

No one ever said her Quirk was to destroy Quirks, it was just assumed.

Who knows what goes into those bullets.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

LupusAter posted:

A position entirely comprised of individuals who would never dream of treating kids harshly or abuse them to make sure they are as strong as possible. Especially the current number 1, he'd never stoop so low as to harm a child.

a) everyone pretty well knew what they were getting into with the hero course aside maybe from mineta, a dumb baby

b) endeavor's not gonna grab a publicly rescued girl and wield her like a weird superpower stick, jesus christ

he sucks but all his bullshit was aimed squarely at his own family

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd like Eri to temporarily end up with the kids in the dorm if for nothing but a short cute SoL thing where the kids spoil Eri and we get some more background on her and maybe see what she's like when she's not being physically and emotionally abused constantly. Like if you have to cram something sort of maudlin in there to make it more poignant (basically where the kids realize just how hosed up Eri and her life was, but that it's going to get better now) there's plenty of good cape comic stuff for Hori to tribute (like the Lying Cat scene with the little girl from Saga, etc).

Housing her at UA would be a solution that makes sense- with the kids, probably not. As a PLACE though UA is pretty safe: surrounded by heroes and hero candidates, built like a fortress, lots of space separating her from public spaces. The kids being numero uno on the VA's hitlist would make putting her with them not a super safe solution; psychologically it might be good for her to live with/around the people who saved her so she can feel safe/reassured after living in a nightmarish hell for her whole short existence.

Reality is that her Grampa might get cured and take her, or she'll magically vanish into Japanese CPS.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sirtommygunn posted:

Thats a cool supervillain origin story you've got going there.

Yeah throwing a kid out instead of properly using her is a good villain origin story.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Rewind All-Might, make Deku give him OFA back, end the manga.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Rewind All-Might, make Deku give him OFA back, end the manga.

That would actually be hilarious.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah throwing a kid out instead of properly using her is a good villain origin story.

Oh hey endeavour didn't know you posted in this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

fractalairduct posted:

Oh hey endeavour didn't know you posted in this thread

Endeavor didn't know how to use his kid.

I am more like whoever came up with UA.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think the people who created UA intended for 7 year olds to join.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Endeavor didn't know how to use his kid.

I am more like whoever came up with UA.

considering you're stuck on this concept of using children like tools, nah I'd say the endeavor comparison works pretty well

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for the Daniel Whitehall saga where they dissect Eri to solve the mystery of how her quirk works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What the gently caress are you people even arguing about