Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nate RFB posted:

What door are you at?

I am at THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY. so in between doors 6 and 7 i think. I'll play more tomorrow after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am enjoying Shadow of War so far, the gameplay loop is just very easy to fall into and feels pretty satisfying. I am just hammering through the story missions so I can start dominating captains though and literally every single story beat, repeated every mission is

Talion: I care about humans.
Elf-dude: I don't care about humans.
Shelob: I'm a sexy spider lady and you would be dumb to trust me but the plot needs to progress so here's a quest

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i can't decide if i want to keep playing baldur's gate, which is going way too slowly thanks to traps, or if i wanna just play witcher 2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I’m not sure why Shadow of War needs a dumb-rear end plot that nobody cares about. The orc stuff still looks cool.

I don’t mind the idea of the game becoming grindy if grindy means no plot progression.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i can't decide if i want to keep playing baldur's gate, which is going way too slowly thanks to traps, or if i wanna just play witcher 2

Mod the game, disable all traps

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

You missing out on so much xp.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why did they make Shelob a human lady in Shadow of War? Was that a thing in the books?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah, jrr tolkien was incredibly and notably horny and made the spider monster also a hot girl

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am enjoying Shadow of War so far, the gameplay loop is just very easy to fall into and feels pretty satisfying. I am just hammering through the story missions so I can start dominating captains though and literally every single story beat, repeated every mission is

Talion: I care about humans.
Elf-dude: I don't care about humans.
Shelob: I'm a sexy spider lady and you would be dumb to trust me but the plot needs to progress so here's a quest

Well, yeah, but also, no. Shadow of Blah Blah is a series about Talion being constantly manipulated into making the stupidest decisions by less-than-mastermind important people. Hell, the end of the first game is Talion and his ghost dad forging a new Ring of Power, when if you're at all familiar with The Lord of the Rings, is the worst possible decision you could imagine. I actually broke out in laughter when that happened.

Shelob is a spider first and a sexy spider lady second, and she uses that form to manipulate Talion. Celebrimbor is being increasingly eaten up and turned into more and more of a Wraith, all while Talion is still on his revenge quest to defend Gondor and kill Sauron. I'm still in Act 2, but the thing you pick up on as you run and snag collectibles as well as the story quests is there's a fun little back and forth between Talion and his ghost elf dad, the bit about Talion wanting to have been a woodworker and Celebrimbor having liked to see that was a nice little touch on the whole thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

Shelob is a spider first and a sexy spider lady second, and she uses that form to manipulate Talion.

"Horrible monster taking the form of an attractive lady for manipulation" is a plot point that needs to never show up again.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, Shadow of War is an anime adaptation of Lord of the Rings.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

can i do that with ee? i was looking into it, but i kept running into defunct sites.

al-azad posted:

You missing out on so much xp.
well i'm missing all of it anyway because my lovely thieves have to be standing right on top the trap to even have a chance to detect it and i just walk over it because stupid LoS rules. with the potion of perception i have 105 trapfinding and while it does give them 100% disarm, they can't detect poo poo

Internet Kraken posted:

"Horrible monster taking the form of an attractive lady for manipulation" is a plot point that needs to never show up again.
it doesn't have to be a woman but preying on the hero's weaknesses or desires in an appealing way is one of the oldest ploys in the book dude

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 14, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Internet Kraken posted:

It should have taken the form of a sexy hobbit

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The White Dragon posted:

it doesn't have to be a woman but preying on the hero's weaknesses or desires in an appealing way is one of the oldest ploys in the book dude

There's no reason the monster has to turn into a generic sexy lady to do that though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

On the other hand, Shadow of War is an anime adaptation of Lord of the Rings.

I just met the Totally Not a Demon Hunter Lady and I would say it's more like if Blizzard made Lord of the Rings

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did they make Shelob a human lady in Shadow of War? Was that a thing in the books?

According to the developers. "We really wanted to explore this character."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no reason the monster has to turn into a generic sexy lady to do that though.

fair enough. there isn't a lot of reason to make it a hot chick if hedonistic sexuality isn't one of the character's flaws

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

so do I

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

She should have assumed the form of his dead wife, a la Contact

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I guess my response would be "why would she have a reduced role as a giant spider" but I guess animating that multiple times would be substantially harder than just another human.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but it's the best way

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Her mom was a cool cosmic abomination, she’d be disappointed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm playing Silent Hill Shattered Memories and I can't tell if the wiimote audio is supposed to be spotty and garbled or if the speaker is just old and lovely

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if talion wanted to be a woodworker and shelob was manipulating him by turning into something he desires why didn't she turn into a plank of wood

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My wiimote always sounded like poo poo, which made me love no more heroes 2 even more than I would have

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SW-5433-0699-4792

friend me you cowards

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the last decently written monolith game is everything up until the last five minutes of condemned: criminal origins

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont mean to shock anyone's worlds but the lord of the rings game with Batman Combat is boring. Is that monolith? gently caress asssassin creeds

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Those games would be vastly improved if you were Batman. No other changes though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

I dont mean to shock anyone's worlds but the lord of the rings game with Batman Combat is boring. Is that monolith? gently caress asssassin creeds

It's fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Those games would be vastly improved if you were Batman. No other changes though.

shadow of batman, you are batman and all the orcs are the kid from batman beyond

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

In Training posted:

It makes sense that a Lord of the Rings game would be boring :smug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Since there are already creepy spider obsessed orcs it woulda been cool if you went to Shelob's lair and she had one of them as a "speaker" she possessed and you just got glimpses of a huge spider scuttling around.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Since there are already creepy spider obsessed orcs it woulda been cool if you went to Shelob's lair and she had one of them as a "speaker" she possessed and you just got glimpses of a huge spider scuttling around.

Yeah but then the plot-important lady wouldn't have been a sexy human lady the players can ogle at

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm sure we can reach a compromise. Make it a monstrous spider. And add boobs.

Eight boobs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

can i do that with ee? i was looking into it, but i kept running into defunct sites.

well i'm missing all of it anyway because my lovely thieves have to be standing right on top the trap to even have a chance to detect it and i just walk over it because stupid LoS rules. with the potion of perception i have 105 trapfinding and while it does give them 100% disarm, they can't detect poo poo

Set autopause on trap detection and keep the thief in front like god and gygax intended.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Jay Rust posted:

If you had to pick one game to show to some unfortunate non-gamer in order to prove that Video Games Are Art, which game would you choose

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

It's the spookiest Friday of the year. I'll be replaying RE4 tonight

Matalo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Set autopause on trap detection and keep the thief in front like god and gygax intended.

yeah no that doesn't solve the problem of "sometimes the trap isn't detected in the 6s cycle" or "this corridor has buggy LoS tee hee hee" gygax is a fuckman who can suck my dick

just gimme a link to the trap removal mod cmon man

Jay Rust posted:

pokemonamie

• Locked thread