Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

:hfive: Nice, have been thinking about getting a set for working on the trucks and I'd trust these more than HF ramps

House renovations mostly complete which means I can finally start focusing on the garage. Organizing the disaster this weekend is the first step, have no idea where anything is. Next is sub panel, lights and outlets because I'm sick of working in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Previa_fun posted:

Switching is 1000x less dorky than transition lenses. :colbert:

This over and over.

It is time for me to go get new glasses and a scrip. I am slightly nearsighted at last check -1.0 and -1.25. I only wear contacts maybe a dozen times in a year. I have single use Acuvue ones but I can rarely make it to the end of the day before they are dried out and making me crazy.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Previa_fun posted:

Switching is 1000x less dorky than transition lenses. :colbert:

IT'S TAPE

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Prescription sunglasses are hands-down some of the best money I've ever spent, especially because I've got pretty bad astigmatism in my left eye and have yet to find a contact that sits on it properly.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

As mentioned, not important. The only important bit is going into 2049 knowing as little about it as possible.

Did Ridley Scott even have anything to do with 2049? He wasn't the director or listed as a producer, and isn't even mentioned in any materials relating to 2049 besides mentions to the first film. Regardless, it is super fantastic.

Ridley Scott is Executive Producer.

There are three short prequels providing vignettes of some things that happened between the two movies, including what caused The Blackout.

Bajaha posted:

You can take my transitions from my cold dead head. That shits the bomb and the ultimate in lazy sunglass. Also totally the ~~~ FUTURE ~~~

Except I still have to keep clip-ons in the car, because Transitions don't work due to UV resistant glass. Other than that, what he said.

Rhyno posted:

I guess they're cool if you're a 60 year old high school chemistry teacher.

The Locator posted:

I am neither of those. They are still cool.

I may need to get a set of those so I don't have to lug my 35-year-old steel ones around any more. The steel ones also don't have a very positive stop to keep you from overshooting.
Downside - I don't think the Rhino Ramps are as tall as my steel ones.

e: nope. Only 6.5". Steel ones are about a foot.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
poo poo. This reminds me I need to pick up and pay the rest of my balance on new glasses I ordered back in like August. Woops.

Picked up the wife's new car today. Got another Tucson to replace the one that got totaled. Great car and in good shape, but needs new lift supports on the hatch.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Oops...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Oops...

Not gonna lie, I've fantasized about accomplishing this before when I'm stuck under a car and just need a little.. more.. torque.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Darchangel posted:

I may need to get a set of those so I don't have to lug my 35-year-old steel ones around any more. The steel ones also don't have a very positive stop to keep you from overshooting.
Downside - I don't think the Rhino Ramps are as tall as my steel ones.

e: nope. Only 6.5". Steel ones are about a foot.

Was just looking at race ramps since I carry them. These are 10" tall, but expensive

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/10-crib-cruizer-combo-ramps/

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/67-xt-race-ramps/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
:siren: NEW PROJECT BINKY NOW AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION. :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR1nU9IJsoM

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

:siren: NEW PROJECT BINKY NOW AVAILABLE FOR GENERAL CONSUMPTION. :siren:

That was so last page.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

That was so last page.
That was for people using patreon, it wasn't openly out there until about 40 minutes ago.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

That was for people using patreon, it wasn't openly out there until about 40 minutes ago.
Same link you posted. :shrug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

Same link you posted. :shrug:
I was refreshing the BOM Youtube page, posted it within a few minutes of the episode appearing. Whether the link would worked as a direct link without being a Patreon for them, I don't know, I didn't try it at the time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MGS posted the link while it was still unlisted. Unlisted videos are not protected in any way other than needing the link to them to view them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Hope everyone is watching the wtac livestream

https://www.worldtimeattack.com/index.php/live-stream/

Mazda 767 going on track now

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jamal posted:

Hope everyone is watching the wtac livestream

https://www.worldtimeattack.com/index.php/live-stream/

Mazda 767 going on track now

This was awesome, binky was awesome. The internet is wonderful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I love the 767.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not important at all to have watched the original. There is one small scene (you'll know it, in the water room) very late in the film that tugs your heartstrings a tiny bit more if you have seen the first film at all.

I'm so glad that 2049 exists. Ridley Scott took his time with some scenes, and the world is built up so goddamned much. Try to go at like a matinee or something like I did so you can get an emptier theater. I was literally the only person in mine and it made the silence and tones that much more powerful. Really, really good.

Saw it tonight in a largely empty theater - agreed on the sound. I loved it, wife could have done with it being a lot shorter.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

About to watch the new project Binky, while drinking coffee from my Bad Obsession mug.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

It's an alright airplane, yes

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I have 13 hours and 42 minutes to consume at least 17 kWh before the end of my billing cycle (meter gets polled at midnight).. otherwise my electric bill jumps up by a painful amount.

Still don't get why I get a $100 discount if I use 1000-1500 kWh ($30 off if I use 500-999... and full market price if I break 1500), but it's space heaters vs central ac battle royale today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That just sounds like a recipe for a tornado in your living room.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

When I said I wanted to get blown, a tornado isn't quite what I had in mind.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The only thing I can think of is that your electricity reseller is buying a certain quantity of electricity from the producers and that quantity is based on estimated usage. So if all their customers stay within the the proper range they maximize their profit. If you don't use enough they end up paying for more than was actually consumed and make less profit so they pass that loss onto you. Or something like that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I have 13 hours and 42 minutes to consume at least 17 kWh before the end of my billing cycle (meter gets polled at midnight).. otherwise my electric bill jumps up by a painful amount.

Still don't get why I get a $100 discount if I use 1000-1500 kWh ($30 off if I use 500-999... and full market price if I break 1500), but it's space heaters vs central ac battle royale today.

Catch people trying out at the top or bottom end
:mmmhmm:
Profit.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Galler posted:

The only thing I can think of is that your electricity reseller is buying a certain quantity of electricity from the producers and that quantity is based on estimated usage. So if all their customers stay within the the proper range they maximize their profit. If you don't use enough they end up paying for more than was actually consumed and make less profit so they pass that loss onto you. Or something like that.

But pure free market deregulation is actually good for consumers because,

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

When I said I wanted to get blown, a tornado isn't quite what I had in mind.

Based on this, I'm interested in how you handle getting hosed

:haw:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Galler posted:

Pretty much.

I just checked again, I've managed to bring my goal down to 7.5 kWh, so... yeah, I'll smack 1000 today.

... heater under my desk is staying on tho. Neuropathy can eat a dick, my legs are loving killing me today. The heat helps a lot, but I keep my thermostat at 68-70 normally - my place is generally nice and chilly.

Goober Peas posted:

Based on this, I'm interested in how you handle getting hosed

:haw:

Well I mean, there's video out there... somewhere. :v:

My body is burning, it starts to shout
Desire is coming, it breaks out loud
Lust is in cages till storm breaks loose
Just have to make it with someone I choose
The night is calling, I have to go
The wolf is hungry, he runs the show
He's licking his lips, he's ready to win
On the hunt tonight for love at first sting
Here I am

:wmwink:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 14, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I keep my house at 75

All year long

Someone hand me a blankey

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Last winter I kept this place at ~55, but used a portable radiator (which is currently under my desk keeping my legs warm) to keep the bedroom warm. This winter I'll actually run the heat!

Joke's on me... I put a roast in my crock pot before I went to bed one night last winter. When I woke up the next day, the liquid in the crock pot was up to a whole 100F, the roast itself was around 55F according to a meat thermometer (and I could see my breath while standing in the kitchen, so it was probably in the 30s or low 40s in there). Kitchen is on an outside wall, and this shithole has crappy insulation. So I pretty much pulled a Chipotle and made botulism soup. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I keep my house at 75

All year long

Someone hand me a blankey

T-stat is set at 70 over here. I might need to put a locking cover over it this year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Finally, a practical use for bitcoins.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said I needed to use 1000, not 10000!

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 14, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
uuuuuuuuuuugggggh my bank just called and let me know they had to freeze my accounts because of a suspicious money transfer.

GOD drat IT I MADE THAT loving TRANSFER.

They can't unfreeze it immediately either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My old bank pulled that on me.. except it was from someone trying to login to my online banking. Back when I used the same password on multiple sites. :argh: They did get in, but according to the bank, couldn't answer any verification questions, which triggered an automatic lockdown of the account. IP geolocation also flagged the login as possible fraud (apparently they had an IP from California?).

.... it took a loving week to get access to my account again. I mean... I could log in and look at the account, payroll still showed up in there, but they put it into "credit only" limbo. So my (paper) rent check turned into rubber, and my debit card wouldn't work, even at ATMs. I get locking the account down when there's any hint of fraud, but bouncing paper checks was going way too loving far, and wound up costing me a couple hundred bucks in fees from my apartment complex (returned check fee is $75, late rent is $100 + $20/day, check bounced on the 4th or 5th).

And that's why I refuse to use any banks that don't have a brick & mortar location near me, also why I have two checking accounts (at different banks). :sigh: This was with USAA - they're normally regarded as a pretty great bank, but there's no way to talk to someone in person here. Also no way to go in and say "gently caress you, gimme my money, I'm closing this account".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 14, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The flu is kicking my rear end, but I'm starting to feel a bit better. At least my father in law and his obnoxious wife are gone. I'm so glad the house is quiet again. My wife and I are introverts and one of the things I love about her is that we don't need to talk to each other unless it's something important.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
At least once a year TD Visa locks my credit card due to the suspicious purchases I make.

Like the last time, when I upgraded to a faster line speed with my ISP and my monthly bill went up $10.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is through a local credit union but they were closed for the day when this happened. My online login is also locked out. Good thing I still have the PT cash or dinner would be a bust tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of Ed Bolian's recent videos had a story of Amex denying his card payment for fuel as potential fraud when doing a fast run. Their algorithm showed it as impossible for there to be two fuel stops that distance apart.

• Locked thread