Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I started my first WotC game last night, on commander ironman. It was over after 2 missions and 4 casualties.

I don't know if the change is because I'm no longer using long war 2, or if the change was made in the expansion itself, but I'm struggling to figure out how to deal with the fact that all cover is now made up of tissue paper and desperation. One guy was behind a full cover tree and then suddenly completely exposed on the enemy turn. The only thing I can think of is a grenade went of 4-5 tiles away, one level down. Two of the other deaths were thanks to their cover melting away in a stiff breeze as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunethex posted:

There's a small green bar that drains on every action taken except blue moves. The lower it is the worse for wear people are at the end of a mission.

Isn't that Tired though? Or is shaken what happens when you drain it fully?

Three of them had fear of the chosen and briefly freaked out, I guess that does something too?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Isn't that Tired though? Or is shaken what happens when you drain it fully?

Three of them had fear of the chosen and briefly freaked out, I guess that does something too?

I think Shaken can happen when your stamina is just low. I had Mox freak the gently caress out and panic like three times during a relatively routine mission once. He definitely didn't have a fear before the mission, and he wasn't tired when he launched, but he did do a ton of running around that mission.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Can you build everything on the Avenger now?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

I think Shaken can happen when your stamina is just low. I had Mox freak the gently caress out and panic like three times during a relatively routine mission once. He definitely didn't have a fear before the mission, and he wasn't tired when he launched, but he did do a ton of running around that mission.

Shaken happens when you field anyone that's marked as Tired.
They can also probably gain that debuff in the middle of a mission, but don't quote me on that

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Yoshimo posted:

Can you build everything on the Avenger now?
Only if you get away with one power relay.
You can get extra power from resistance orders and covert ops, and as a scanning reward. So it's doable if you want to go for it and have some luck. Probably not worth it, but doable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wizard Styles posted:

Only if you get away with one power relay.
You can get extra power from resistance orders and covert ops, and as a scanning reward. So it's doable if you want to go for it and have some luck. Probably not worth it, but doable.

There's still no point to building a lab unless you get insanely unlucky with scientists. The workshop is the same way now.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

RBA Starblade posted:

There's still no point to building a lab unless you get insanely unlucky with scientists. The workshop is the same way now.
Labs increase the chance for breakthroughs.

Workshop does seem pointless now, though.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Thinking of scrapping my defense matrix or psi lab and doubling/tripling down on labs for my many scientists.
I wonder if that'll actually shorten my breakthrough times to lower than the current 9 days on average.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't disagree with the idea that Sharpshooters are usually not worth it in the beginning, but when do you typically start fielding them? Do you wait for a Scope and some SGTs to carry his rear end or something? I remember late game Sharpshooters in XCOM 1 (and LW 1 if I remember right) being insane. I never thought to bench them at the start. Considering trying it.

E: Also agree about cover, but I think that might just be a problem with grenades. You mentioned LW2, and how it feels better there

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

once pistols can do five damage per shot is when i tend to start using mine more

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rabidsquid posted:

once pistols can do five damage per shot is when i tend to start using mine more

At plasma?

I usually start using Sharpshooters pretty quickly, once I've gotten through all the rookie promotion stages. They get up to speed pretty quickly, especially if you can get them some ammo.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Firstborn posted:

I don't disagree with the idea that Sharpshooters are usually not worth it in the beginning, but when do you typically start fielding them?

Longwatch + phantom is when mine start paying for themselves. Which is one rank above squaddie, ie starting with the third of fourth mission in the game. Suck it up and use them ya crybabies.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zore posted:

At plasma?

I usually start using Sharpshooters pretty quickly, once I've gotten through all the rookie promotion stages. They get up to speed pretty quickly, especially if you can get them some ammo.

you can get to 5 damage on a pistol way before plasma, any kind of +1 damage ammo and a pistol breakthrough and both things are not unusual in like mag weapons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wizard Styles posted:

Labs increase the chance for breakthroughs.

Workshop does seem pointless now, though.

They do, but you get an insane amount even without the lab.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sharpshooters start doing serious work in Lost missions with Mag pistols. Before that they carry the flashbangs or medkit or whatever else nobody else has room for, and try to get one good shot off on each pod to activate it.

My first game, I lucked into some Talon rounds at a scan site pretty early. Lots of big crits for that game's snipers.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
reapers op pls nerf

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I don't disagree with the idea that Sharpshooters are usually not worth it in the beginning, but when do you typically start fielding them? Do you wait for a Scope and some SGTs to carry his rear end or something? I remember late game Sharpshooters in XCOM 1 (and LW 1 if I remember right) being insane. I never thought to bench them at the start. Considering trying it.

E: Also agree about cover, but I think that might just be a problem with grenades. You mentioned LW2, and how it feels better there

I usually bring all new sharpshooters onto a 'interview' mission.
Prove to me your worth, and you might just get a callback.

Flub more than one 80+ percent shot, and you get left at the bottom of the soldier list, maybe being chosen to go on a covert op if I'm feeling generous.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
God drat that's savage.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

So the Double Agent perk you get allows you to get Advent Soldiers to appear in your squad at the beginning of missions. I always thought this was kind of cute, but what I didn't realize is that any Dark Event that's currently ongoing that affects ADVENT soldiers will give these double agents working for you those same benefits. For example, I currently have "Collateral Damage" running and my ADVENT Trooper spawned with Two grenades as opposed to just one. Just a fun little detail :)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Firstborn posted:

God drat that's savage.

I am Commander rear end in a top hat, ADVENT will whisper of my deeds in the dark.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is it a particularly bad thing if I finish missions without killing everyone? It's said the mission has failed, but I did counter the dark events.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Only downside for not killing everything on a guerrilla op if you complete the objective is not getting the reward. Doesn't hold true for other mission types, though.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Firstborn posted:

I don't disagree with the idea that Sharpshooters are usually not worth it in the beginning, but when do you typically start fielding them? Do you wait for a Scope and some SGTs to carry his rear end or something?

Usually around the first retaliation mission/Squad Size I upgrade. From the start, you have +- 3 missions where fielding rookies is neither a liability nor a sandbag on the squad. You want to be building your bench early, and a rookie with an AR is just better in a greater variety of situations at that stage of the game--in addition to potentially becoming a grenadier or ranger.

Early game, my sharpshooters spend a lot of time running covert ops. They go to the occasional protect/destroy the device guerrilla ops, supply raids, and retaliations. At Lt. rank, sharpshooters (with Long Watch, LH, & Quickdraw) go into normal rotation once I have mag pistols (which importantly: 1. unlock with Mag Weapons research, and 2. are cheap to upgrade).

If you get the RO - Between the Eyes, sharpshooters go on every lost mission.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I like to bring them on destroy the device objectives.
As long as I can get someone to have eyes on it, squadsight does the rest of the work for me.
Normally getting eyes on it requires impromptu demolition work on half the building to create a hole big enough

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Early game sharpshooters are no different than any other class. If you don't want to put the effort into finding high ground or putting them in good locations (over other troops), then don't bring em. They are only as good as you make them. They have to be babysat the most. I don't bring them every mission because I don't rely on them as much. But once they get quick draw and lighting hands, I don't see how they are useless at all.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I often times avoid bringing sharpshooters early on because so many missions require mobility in dense terrain that they simply don't have a solution for. After a few ranks it's mostly fine but early on it's a real pain.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, the harsh turn timers in this game are really what makes snipers less than ideal. You need to be able to push up every turn, especially early on when you don't have any resistance orders to pad thing out a little. Early-game snipers are just a straight liability a lot of the time because they take up a slot from someone that can actually push forward and do something.

If snipers came packed with a grappling hook, would that be overpowered?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Skill your sharpshooters towards pistols and forget the sniper rifles until you get the plasma ones.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
hey does this have a save scum mod yet, thanks

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FrickenMoron posted:

Skill your sharpshooters towards pistols and forget the sniper rifles until you get the plasma ones.

Even that guy I just send on Covert Ops unless I have a mission with a ton of Lost for him to go crazy on.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I field my sharpshooters when everyone else is tired/wounded or if the mission is 100% going to be a cakewalk, i.e. lost missions. Once I've slaughtered the Hunter and researched his gun, I give my sharpshooter a grapple suit and watch him poo poo on the aliens. They're also useful as covert op fodder.

Sharpshooters come online too late in a game where the early game is the biggest threat and timers really screw them over because they have to lose turns repositioning in a game where you want to alpha strike everything. Their only niche early on is killing lost and those things are by far the most useless units in the game so :shrug:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I like rifle sharpshooters in the early game :shobon:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The only time I really like rifle sharpshooters are the missions with destructable objectives such as the chosen avenger defense.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I kinda miss the overpowered snipers from XCOM: EU and if there was a mod that made them available for XCOM2 I would install it along a time limit disabler just for fun.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Serial with an extended mag was my favorite thing in vanilla X2. Of course now you've got the hunter's rifle + DFA or any other class that rolled DFA eating Serials lunch.

On the flip side you can also just level the sharpshooters as gunslingers and pick up the relevant sniper skills once you get the magic rifle from the hunter.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

I kinda miss the overpowered snipers from XCOM: EU and if there was a mod that made them available for XCOM2 I would install it along a time limit disabler just for fun.

I would loving kill for an archangel suit

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Can I just have Jumpy Legs back :(

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
On legendary sharpshooters are kinda useless in the early game when mobility is the king because of timers and squaddies can't hit poo poo. Later they become great finishers when they start getting their gunslinger skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lunethex posted:

Can I just have Jumpy Legs back :(

RIP Jumpy Legs, Archon suit's just not as fun.