Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm a computer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

came to post this

that heater box :eyepop:

:staredog:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

so why do so many people native to deserts wear dark clothes? (apart form the obvious answer: white cloth is traditionally more expensive)
for women in islamic countries there are religious incentives to wear black clothing, although thats not a hard requirement

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jerry Cotton posted:

so why do so many people native to deserts wear dark clothes? (apart form the obvious answer: white cloth is traditionally more expensive)

iirc the whole thing about black absorbing the heat and white reflecting it doesn't make all that much difference. certainly less that people think anyway

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sweevo posted:

iirc the whole thing about black absorbing the heat and white reflecting it doesn't make all that much difference. certain less that people think anyway

after reading more:

black clothes absorb heat from your body too, unlike white clothes. so in the wind they can be better than white clothes, which reflect your bodily heat inwards (assuming same kind of loose-fitting cloth, just in different colours). in other words, tightness of fit is more important than colour

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
that's all software if ur cyberpunkin'

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

after reading more:

black clothes absorb heat from your body too, unlike white clothes. so in the wind they can be better than white clothes, which reflect your bodily heat inwards (assuming same kind of loose-fitting cloth, just in different colours). in other words, tightness of fit is more important than colour
i was to understand desert cultures wear loose, baggy dark clothes because the heat absorption from sunlight causes the pockets of air in loose areas to rise out, and draw more (cooler) air in from below. this makes these clothes feel cooler and helps evaporate sweat better. basic ersatz air circulation technology

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kenny Logins posted:

i was to understand desert cultures wear loose, baggy dark clothes because the heat absorption from sunlight causes the pockets of air in loose areas to rise out, and draw more (cooler) air in from below. this makes these clothes feel cooler and helps evaporate sweat better. basic ersatz air circulation technology

right but we are talking what colour of clothing has to do with this. if the air circulates well, dark is better because it absorbs heat from body and absorbed heat from the environment is mitigated by the circulation, whereas if it doesnt then extra heat absorbed from environment more or less works out to the same effect as bodily heat reflected at body

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

right but we are talking what colour of clothing has to do with this. if the air circulates well, dark is better because it absorbs heat from body and absorbed heat from the environment is mitigated by the circulation, whereas if it doesnt then extra heat absorbed from environment more or less works out to the same effect as bodily heat reflected at body
ok

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

J

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DiggityDoink posted:

the guy who threw the punch ended up getting arrested and was the one who started talking poo poo with the old man

https://deadspin.com/panthers-fan-sucker-punches-old-man-1819436354

guy who punches another person at a sporting event turns out to be an rear end in a top hat? wow!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
did anyone mention the best thing about cold climates? bugs and snakes don't like them

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

prefect posted:

did anyone mention the best thing about cold climates? bugs and snakes don't like them

Haters gonna hate

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

prefect posted:

when i lived in upstate ny for a while i warned people about scorpions and snakes more than a few times before i finally taught myself that there was no longer anything to fear anymore

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prefect posted:

we have some snakes and bugs here. exactly 3 kinds of snakes, some bugs. the only one of them all that's poisonous is a generic viper, whose bite can sometimes be lethal. no poisonous bugs, i think, although bee-like poo poo surely hurts after a bit, and ticks can be infectious (at least i dont think they had innate poison, but im extremely poo poo at biology)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

largest roach i've seen in latvia was smaller than a kidney bean, and largest spider ive seen in latvia was had the "torso" the size of maybe a sliced off quarter of a pea?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in cold climates your nice warm domicile summons rodents

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in cold climates your nice warm domicile summons rodents

if you live in a forest, sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

if you live in a forest, sure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i havent seen a rodent, or, more specifically, a mouse, rat, or trash panda (im not sure if we even have them), in approximately 20 years

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i havent seen a rodent, or, more specifically, a mouse, rat, or trash panda (im not sure if we even have them), in approximately 20 years

sometimes i spot a rat in the park. and there's plenty of voles unless my sister's cat grows its own.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:newlol:

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
what about monkeys? i used to think they're cute but then i had to spend 4 hours cleaning my flat after they broke in. they were still in the yard and didn't give a single gently caress. eating my oranges n poo poo. i threw a pan at one but missed.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

aw yiss checkin' out some computer geometric shapes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they are not permitted under edict of DOOM!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Stymie posted:

they are not permitted under edict of DOOM!

:doom:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

largest roach i've seen in latvia was smaller than a kidney bean, and largest spider ive seen in latvia was had the "torso" the size of maybe a sliced off quarter of a pea?

the cockroaches in arizona are about 60mm long, not including their antennae

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

your cat looks sick

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

eat more fibre

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:kimchi:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

use a mac and iphone :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

jason takes manhattan mostly takes place on a boat

• Locked thread