Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
SPY is the best white guy unstructured talking show by far and I love the new ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I miss when they used to do more segments and segments-within-segments

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SlipkPIe posted:

I miss when they used to do more segments and segments-within-segments

I guess there just isn't as much Hulk Hogan news as their used to be.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've had multiple people tell me Griffin's voice is so grating mbmbab is impossible to enjoy

Its me, the guy who has skipped multiple episodes because of Justin's mouth noises.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Twerkdad posted:

Its me, the guy who has skipped multiple episodes because of Justin's mouth noises.

What's fascinating about this is that, from what I've heard, Griffin's editing consists almost entirely of cutting out Justin's constant, gross noises. Hopefully it's been getting better for him since he's been living the bean life.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

SpacePig posted:

What's fascinating about this is that, from what I've heard, Griffin's editing consists almost entirely of cutting out Justin's constant, gross noises. Hopefully it's been getting better for him since he's been living the bean life.
didn't he specifically make Justin a button to mute himself whenever he was coughing

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Stroop There It Is posted:

didn't he specifically make Justin a button to mute himself whenever he was coughing

Almost all but the lowest end microphones have those.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I finally listened to the crossover episode where the brothers hosted JJGo and it was drat hilarious. Can they just host all the MaxFun shows?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I think Griffin's made jokes about Justin having a cough button, but basically refusing to sue it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

SPY is the best white guy unstructured talking show by far and I love the new ad

It's very good.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
The guys on stop podcasting yourself are shockingly good at turning little bits of one conversation into prompts for other conversations. It's a good show

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I like the new Flophouse ad and how it always flows from the podcast you're listening to. Also Elliot does not sing in the ad anymore.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nuebot posted:

It's certainly my favorite heat rock.

Just want to chip in to say that this is the worst maxfun ad at the moment

E: also that SPY is very good and I like how clear it is that they didn't really want to do an advert.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah. Presumably because their old ad said everything that needed to be said. Except what a pod is, or how to claim your tax break.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Kenny Logins posted:

I like the new Flophouse ad and how it always flows from the podcast you're listening to. Also Elliot does not sing in the ad anymore.

Yeah it's actually bearable now that Elliot isn't singing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I hate the heat rock ad because it tries to be straightforward and informative and yet after a minute of talking I still have no idea what the podcast is about and I'm just bored.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's about music. a heat rock is just a goofy way to refer to a thing that is good

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i have never heard the term 'heat rock' and i spend a lot of time online. is it just an in joke?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

well why not posted:

i have never heard the term 'heat rock' and i spend a lot of time online. is it just an in joke?

Please refer to this classic Kanye verse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFEIG12UJw&t=110s

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

well why not posted:

they're talking about these:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

no bone folders? no heat rocks? what loving lives do you people live?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HolePisser1982 posted:

they're talking about these:

My iguana loved his, he'd lay on it all day and poo there. Rips to my dearly departed friend, Neb the iguana, who passed some 25 years ago.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
they literally say what a heat rock is and what the podcast is about in the ad

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Legs Benedict posted:

Look at this nerd expecting people to listen before complaining!

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

The most attention I ever pay to the podcast ads is "oh, here's a non-McElroy voice, that means I'm done skipping past the money zone"

So I very much appreciate them for making that process easier

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Legs Benedict posted:

Yeah but why would you make a whole podcast about evolving Eevee into Flareon, the objectively worst Eevolution?

Serf
May 5, 2011

John Dudebro posted:

The most attention I ever pay to the podcast ads is "oh, here's a non-McElroy voice, that means I'm done skipping past the money zone"

So I very much appreciate them for making that process easier

Same here. They usually last a minute, so skipping ahead in 30 second chunks lets me catch the ad and ride it out until the segment ends.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

Bulbapedia, the community driven Pokémon encyclopedia posted:

The Heat Rock (Japanese: あついいわ Hot Rock) is a type of held item introduced in Generation IV. It extends the duration of harsh sunlight.

e:

Ojjeorago posted:

Yeah but why would you make a whole podcast about evolving Eevee into Flareon, the objectively worst Eevolution?

gently caress

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
a heat rock, true fire, the bang track, a tender cut, a slammer pog, the slang phrase magic spell that once spoken will shatter my inexorable slide towards Old and render me eternally contemporary

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I don't think she's been on before, but on the most recent episode of Court Appointed, the guys have Mary Smirl (Sidnee's mom) on as a guest. Tommy and Mary have also started their own podcast (Still Waiting... for Guffman) which is about their experience in community theatre I guess.

Anyway, there are increasingly fewer McElroy Adjacents who have not been on some podcast or another at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just a few more years till we get My Cousin, My Cousin and Me

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

*Hears phrase*

“Huh, wonder what that means.”

*sees computer*

“Hey, that’s it!”

*goes to google.com*

*googles ‘something awful forums’*

Kenny Logins posted:

I don't think she's been on before, but on the most recent episode of Court Appointed, the guys have Mary Smirl (Sidnee's mom) on as a guest. Tommy and Mary have also started their own podcast (Still Waiting... for Guffman) which is about their experience in community theatre I guess.

Anyway, there are increasingly fewer McElroy Adjacents who have not been on some podcast or another at this point.

I love how a new form of media and a wholesome small town family have become so deeply intertwined.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Kenny Logins posted:

I believe she was on a maxfun bonus episode of Still Buffering where she explained the insanely traumatic sounding "pretend your sister is dead" game that she used to stop Sydnee and Teylor fighting.

e: if I remember right, Sydnee started crying immediately and apologised to Teylor, who responded with "Shut up. You're dead." Good story.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And now, My Zygote, My Zygote, and Me, starring various ova and sperm.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Not Operator posted:

I believe she was on a maxfun bonus episode of Still Buffering where she explained the insanely traumatic sounding "pretend your sister is dead" game that she used to stop Sydnee and Teylor fighting.

e: if I remember right, Sydnee started crying immediately and apologised to Teylor, who responded with "Shut up. You're dead." Good story.
Huh. Well, Mary is actually pretty decent as a guest, I'm sure if community theatre is up your alley the new podcast would probably be pretty listenable.

The only strike against her is the incredibly idiosyncratic name-spelling of the Smirl sisters. It continues to vex me to this day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kenny Logins posted:

Huh. Well, Mary is actually pretty decent as a guest, I'm sure if community theatre is up your alley the new podcast would probably be pretty listenable.

The only strike against her is the incredibly idiosyncratic name-spelling of the Smirl sisters. It continues to vex me to this day.

I suppose if your kids are gonna be Smirls they have nothing left to lose. BTW, I'm a little troubled by all the Clint photos of (I assume) community theater plays that he directed with all three boys in the cast. My guess is that (A) there were a lot of other productions that had only one or two McElroys (B) there aren't that many guys interested in theater in the first place (C) they weren't all leads anyway.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

*Hears phrase*

“Huh, wonder what that means.”

*sees computer*

“Hey, that’s it!”

*goes to google.com*

*googles ‘something awful forums’*

I love how a new form of media and a wholesome small town family have become so deeply intertwined.

If I have to google the term the basic premise your show is based on after you spend a minute of ad time explaining it, it's not a good ad. They do "explain" it in the ad as "a cool thing" which is not useful information at all and doesn't really tell me what they or their guests will be talking about.

It's fine to have an ad that's not really informative. I like the new SPY ads and the Beef and Dairy ones are funny, but this one was supposed to be a really dry explanation that didn't actually explain anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I refuse to believe the Beef and Dairy Network is funny.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asiina posted:

If I have to google the term the basic premise your show is based on after you spend a minute of ad time explaining it, it's not a good ad.

Maybe the problem is that you can't seem to pick up on basic context, and not that the ad isn't dumb enough for you to get.

Edit

I mean, they literally say something to the effect of "heat rock means a good song or album". If you can't figure out that they review music from that then I don't think you can be helped.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's not community theater without nepotism. Hell, I got the lead in a musical probably at least in part because my wife was the director's dissertation director (years earlier, not when I got the part).